• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornica

Banned
The impression I get is that Duramboros is the new Barroth as far as a noob smasher is concerned, but he comes up a bit later than Barroth does in the Moga Village quests.

BarIoth, not Barroth :p
450px-Barioth.png

(barroth was never a problem for me, but barioth...)

Pellet HBGs are OP as hell in village. I could lock some of them in place while breaking every single part. Barrioth fell down in maybe 3 mins.

Ill stick to my Pecco gun until I can get better armor and DS with better sharpness.

DaBoss

Beat Brachydios for the first time. Used all of my Potions and half of my Mega Potions. Lost a lot of health, but I didn't get carted, so yay for me. What do you have to do to unlock the 8* (or is it 9*) village quests? Mind you that I didn't complete all of the 7* (or is it 8*) quests yet. Didn't get an urgent after beating Brachydios.

Also, Moga Woods at night, god damn, so dangerous now lol.

Rootbeer

Banned
going through and cleaning up my nintendo surveys and whatnot... just cracked 2000 coins... noticed that if you buy MH3U on the eshop you get 80 (!!!) coins... but if you buy physical like me... you get zip :p Thanks! Or is there a way to activate it somehow? my wii u has internet o_O do i have to play 'online' with a group?

I looked up a chart with possible charms and Table 5 (the one I'm on) looks pretty barren. I'm at 18 hours and I wouldn't mind restarting tbh, knowledge of this charm table stuff has kind of tainted my perception of my character going forward. Knowing that there's better, I don't think I can help not restarting so, I was going to ask:

When do you start the timer on your stopwatch? There's a slight delay in the 3DS menu after putting in a new time as it backs out after confirming so is it as soon as you press A to enter the time?

DaBoss

going through and cleaning up my nintendo surveys and whatnot... just cracked 2000 coins... noticed that if you buy MH3U on the eshop you get 80 (!!!) coins... but if you buy physical like me... you get zip :p Thanks! Or is there a way to activate it somehow? my wii u has internet o_O do i have to play 'online' with a group?

Supposedly retail 3rd party Wii U games don't have CN codes and NFS:MW for the Wii U is the first 3rd-party game to do so.

Was going to go to sleep, but then I noticed new DLC.
Started up a NA server, Free Play 03 > Lobby 9 > GAF!! > Pass:
HR3 and up, as that's what the quests need.

L Thammy

Do people use bounce bombs at all? I think I've only seen one hunter use any so far. I started though and they seem pretty useful. Knocked Azure Rathalos out of the sky a bunch of times with them.

How do you tell when Diablos is enraged? Like, 100% for sure no more sonic bomb wasting.

Assuming things are still like in Tri, Diablos has puffs of smoke coming out of his mouth when enraged. Also, he's horrifyingly fast.

I used bounce bombs a lot when farming Diablos. Go underneath his when he's still and mash the Y button.

Kyzon

I find capturing alot easier than killing some monsters. I fought a Purple Ludroth (he is such a mother fucker, but his armor is beast for bows) for about 8 minutes after it started limping. It took forever to go down.

Somehow, endlessly farming Rathalos is still fun. I've switched over to LS, I'm liking it a lot! I'm not sure how I'm *supposed* to use it, but I've only been using the Spirit Combo sparingly after I get my meter/color up. Hopefully I won't trip everyone when I finally play multi tomorrow!

Madouu

Fuck fishing, no seriously. Why did I even go back to that goldenfish quest, fuck the completionist in me too.

They do look sexy, but they break too easily. I was spoiled by my Snow slicers. -_-

Anyone know how to get a voltstone? Wiki doesn't seem to know!

Yup I'm using them right now and although the elemental damage is nice, their sharpness drops way too fast, need to upgrade them asap.

Why should I hunt Crimson Qurupeco when Deviljho can hunt it for me? >___<

He wouldn't go away so I let him get some moves on the C. Qurupeco, what a inconvenient monster to call C. Qurupeco.

Doorman

Hunting high rank Barroths together with a friend of mine, and who should show up but everyone's pal Deviljho. We're both only just dipping into high rank so I know I don't have the gear to actually fight him yet. Fortunately the Barroth was wounded enough to flee, so we followed and finished it off.

Once that was done we rushed back into the other area and started fighting on Jho just for the hell of it. Just as the quest is about to clear he does his jump-pin attack on my friend, so we're treated with "QUEST COMPLETE" splashing across the whole screen while watching him get mercilessly eaten, and fade to black. Felt like a fitting end to the night.

Napophis

Finally got a King's Frill to finish my Jaggi set.
How do i get Ice Crystals to make my Jaggi sword though? Have only seen Earth Crystals

JoeFenix

Just got the game but played alot of Tri on Wii, me and a friend have a room up in Free Play 02 - Lobby 09 called Rathian.

We are HR1 so if anyone is fairly new, feel free to join us!

Madouu

Are you using goldenfish bait? I remember that helping a lot in Tri.

Yeah sadly I only had one which I wasted trying to figure out how to fish (first time playing monster hunter here). All is good though, I finished that and got a sharqskin which I needed too. It only took half an hour...

Also, just finished fighting Rathalos, it was really fun! (when he decided to land). Next time, I'll try bringing some flash bombs. His armor looks interesting too, I think it will be next on my "to forge" skill.

Next up, Barioth or Diablos. Hmm...

ramyeon

Finally got a King's Frill to finish my Jaggi set.
How do i get Ice Crystals to make my Jaggi sword though? Have only seen Earth Crystals
I find there's a lot in the cave (Area 6) in the Sandy Plains.

Just got around to buying perception decorations for my armour. Definitely should've done so earlier. Capturing is SO much more simple now.

burgerdog

Oh god, what a huge difference now that I'm wearing a full Gobul+ set. I can take hits now, I was tired of getting two shotted by most monsters.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Picked up the game for 3DS a couple days ago and I'm having a pretty fun time so far. I do have a couple really noobish questions:

I'm using the Ludroth Switch Axe which apparently does 120 water damage. Does that water damage apply all the time, or only when my axe is in sword mode? And is this weapon doing less damage to watery enemies like the Royal Ludroth or Gobul, than a weapon that does no water damage?

Are these "online" missions you guys are talking about the ones handed out in Port Tanzia? Can these all be done in single-player? And do the Moga Village quests make up the bulk of the game, or are they just tutorials for the Port Tanzia missions?

And what is the best way to determine which armor sets to upgrade to? They all seem to have relatively similar stats so far, is it the skills that set each piece of armor apart from one another?

Whew, that turned into a lot more questions than I had anticipated. I would have bought a guide book or something if one was available. Lots to learn jumping into this series for the first time.

Kyzon

Picked up the game for 3DS a couple days ago and I'm having a pretty fun time so far. I do have a couple really noobish questions:

I'm using the Ludroth Switch Axe which apparently does 120 water damage. Does that water damage apply all the time, or only when my axe is in sword mode? And is this weapon doing less damage to watery enemies like the Royal Ludroth or Gobul, than a weapon that does no water damage?

Are these "online" missions you guys are talking about the ones handed out in Port Tanzia? Can these all be done in single-player? And do the Moga Village quests make up the bulk of the game, or are they just tutorials for the Port Tanzia missions?

And what is the best way to determine which armor sets to upgrade to? They all seem to have relatively similar stats so far, is it the skills that set each piece of armor apart from one another?

Whew, that turned into a lot more questions than I had anticipated. I would have bought a guide book or something if one was available. Lots to learn jumping into this series for the first time.

It does more damage to enemies that are weak to water. Enemies don't resist elements iirc. It's raw damage will make up for anything not weak to water.

Yes, Tanzia is where the online missions are, but they can be played solo in the solo, or multi port. Beware though, monsters there are way stronger.

Early on, I personally just got armor that looked cool. If you really want to be effective though, go for skills that compliment your playstyle. For example, I just recently decided to go all out with the bow. For that I need full Purple Ludroth armor since it has a skill that will immensely help out with my stamina management.

Skills and weaknesses are what make armor stand out. A full set of Jaggi armor will work with a bunch of things, but also give you a fat weakness to fire.

Hope that helped :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom