• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doombear

Oh I can't imagine anyone would be like that either, I was not serious. That would be awful. I am not too concerned with the difference in loads, but more so in the wear on my disc drive like Smiles. I can't rule out possibly triple dipping on this title down the line (3DS, and retail and dl Wii U) myself...

I will say, that loading video was enough to convince me to get the DL version over the disc version on my Wii U. Glad I've got the space. Strange that the SSD seemed to be even faster at times.

Oh I can't imagine anyone would be like that either, I was not serious. That would be awful. I am not too concerned with the difference in loads, but more so in the wear on my disc drive like Smiles. I can't rule out possibly triple dipping on this title down the line (3DS, and retail and dl Wii U) myself...

Has a disk drive ever been worn out fron consistent game time?

I was looking at videos for the final boss/elder dragon. I am now scared to fight it.

My only concern for this game is the pause between a full stick tilt for the camera and it actually moving. Seriously, it is way too long in the demo.

I doubt it is something that will get patched and the target can eliminate some of the frustration, but still. Hopefully after the 100th hour it won't feel so jarring.

I was looking at videos for the final boss/elder dragon. I am now scared to fight it.

My only concern for this game is the pause between a full stick tilt for the camera and it actually moving. Seriously, it is way too long in the demo.

I doubt it is something that will get patched and the target can eliminate some of the frustration, but still. Hopefully after the 100th hour it won't feel so jarring.

Looks like Fatalis on water. Doesn't even look that hard, IMO.

Nohar

I'm curious to see what the Guran will be. It's the only monster that I managed to not spoil myself the surprise.

The Alatreon in Tri was quite a toughy.

Looks like Fatalis on water. Doesn't even look that hard, IMO.
I only ever fought fatalis maybe a little over half a dozen times in my freedom and unite days. Everytime the group failed except once. I just hate the thought of losing long battles at the 30th minute mark through no fault of my own. That is what scares me. That and half a life bar draining attacks.

chronosic

Just finished my wroggi blade master armour! The only thing that sucks is I can't make the status attack up gems yet to slot into the set. Also working on getting the paralysis long sword.

Never had a PC/PS2/PS3/Wii/PSP die on me from playing too much MH :)

Should be no problems on Wii U as well. I'm going digital, but also buying a retail copy just in case. Plus, to support the series.

I will say, that loading video was enough to convince me to get the DL version over the disc version on my Wii U. Glad I've got the space. Strange that the SSD seemed to be even faster at times.

This stuff is really annoying. Why does the disc version get a worse experience, why can't we install the game data? Even the PSP game had an install option.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Yuri over at Capcom Unity revealed the names for the rest of the monsters :)

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2013/03/15/just-how-big-is-monster-hunter-3-ultimate

Gargwa (small)
Slagtoth (small)
Green Nargacuga (subspecies)
Lucent Nargacuga (subspecies)
Ivory Lagiacrus (subspecies)
Abyssal Lagiacrus (subspecies)
Savage Deviljho (subspecies)
Hallowed Jhen Mohran (subspecies)
Goldbeard Ceadeus (subspecies)

animals_who_have_the_come_at_me_bro_nailed_640_07.jpg

Fistwell

I have to say I'm very disappointed it doesn't run in perfect 60fps framerate.
Yeah I fudged round with Tri yesterday, then immediatly played some of the demo. The sharpness is pleasing, but the stuttering framerate is very annoying. Frustrated they couldn't get an upresed 3DS game to run at 60FPS. Also don't get why they wouldn't just lock it at 30. Fluctuations as the camera moves are noticeable and distracting (although I kinda get used to it after some time).

Nohar

Why couldn't it be a Translucent Nargacuga? Can you imagine how awesome that would be.

They translated it "Nargacuga Selenite" in french (which can be rougly translated as "Lunar Nargacuga"). Well, since it seems that we only fight it under the moonlight, I must say that it's rather poetic, even if it takes some liberty with the original name.

DaBoss

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2013/03/15/just-how-big-is-monster-hunter-3-ultimate

Gargwa (small)
Slagtoth (small)

I first read Goldbeard as Godbeard lol. Those are some nice names. What is Savage Deviljho? Is that what Hungry Deviljho is called now? I liked Hungry Deviljho. :(

These aren't bad!
Can't forgive Nibelsnarf though.

You...stay quiet. Nibelsnarf is so epic.

Does anyone know if voice chat on this has any kind of push-to-talk function? Hate having to filter what I talk to my SO about/cover my mic while playing online. Or hearing my friends cough in my ear when they're under the weather/

I like the names. Well, except the fact that they allowed "Barroth" and "Barioth" to exist.

I went through stages in dealing with that:
Stage 1 Confusion- "What? wait... their different?"
Stage 2 More confusion- "How do I pronounce their names to sound different enough from each other?"
Stage 3 Fear- "Will people understand which one I mean?"
Stage 4 Clarity- "Yeah. Ok, I get it now"

Sometimes I feel stuck on stage 2...

Does anyone know if voice chat on this has any kind of push-to-talk function? Hate having to filter what I talk to my SO about/cover my mic while playing online. Or hearing my friends cough in my ear when they're under the weather/
Nope. It's not push to talk. I dont know any console games that have that feature. But you dont have to worry about anyone coughing in your ear since voice chat uses the mic on the gamepad.

I really want to invest the time it takes to learn how to play.

should I wait a month before I go online with friends so I don't mess them up for sucking?

Nope. It's not push to talk. I dont know any console games that have that feature. But you dont have to worry about anyone coughing in your ear since voice chat uses the mic on the gamepad.

I'm pretty sure Trine 2 has the option for push to talk, but yeah that's the exception. Such a shame, it's such a no-brain feature to include. Maybe I can look into getting a mutable headset/mic combo to replace the iPhone headphones/mic I've been using so far.

DaBoss

should I wait a month before I go online with friends so I don't mess them up for sucking?

Nah, you can play online after you are done the tutorial. It would be fun. Others can help you and you can see what others do.

Whenever you feel comfortable enough with your abilities, you should go online. Someone suggested after fighting the Barroth, which is kinda a good idea.

No. Think of all the great stories you'll miss out on about your beginning days as a hunter.

I'm watching a lot of iCEMAN videos now I feel less lost from the guides he has but I don't want to play the demo because I want to learn from the proper game

I only played the Demo for ann hour and I sucked did not beat the easy guy

so I am going to suck an lot but this game seems so deep that it can last me a few years if I learn it and become a fan

I also want to learn now just incase Wii U gets MH4

Fistwell

Nah, you can play online after you are done the tutorial. It would be fun. Others can help you and you can see what others do.
Right on point. Playing with 3 other guys means you don't necessarily have to be The Man™. You can totally let the other guys take the lead, see what they're doing, and jump in to land a couple of hits when you see an opening. Especially if this is even easier than Tri.

Just don't touch the dragonator!

I hope there is a fair amount of MonHun newbies around here.
I think that's likely, we've had a bunch of people posting that this will be their first monhun game in previous threads.

I hope there is a fair amount of MonHun newbies around here.

I have Tri, but only played around ten hours solo, because at that time all my friends were on 360.

Peru

Doesn't hurt to join online early for the fun and laughs but it doesn't hurt to do a lot of practice on your own either. If you only go online and let others do the hard work you won't progress enough. You're not a man until you beat all the monsters on your own.

Bento

Question regarding the US release, at what time during Tuesday is the game going up on the E-Store, is it a midnight launch or released later during the day?

Also, what time zone does Nintendo normally use for uploads? :p

Ridley327

Question regarding the US release, at what time during Tuesday is the game going up on the E-Store, is it a midnight launch or released later during the day?

Also, what time zone does Nintendo normally use for uploads? :p

For midnight releases, they base them off of the east coast.

Does anything carry over when you have a save file from Tri? It'd be nice to keep some of my weapons and armor when I eventually get this. Btw, are the servers of Tri still online? I might hook up the old wii again to get my MH fix.

Elider

Does anything carry over when you have a save file from Tri? It'd be nice to keep some of my weapons and armor when I eventually get this. Btw, are the servers of Tri still online? I might hook up the old wii again to get my MH fix.

No and yes. They're taken down on April 30.

Qurupeke

Gargwa (small)
Slagtoth (small)

I read Halloween Jhen Mohran. :p

All of them are really good. Especially Abyssal and Ivory Lagi.

Mondriaan

I only ever fought fatalis maybe a little over half a dozen times in my freedom and unite days. Everytime the group failed except once. I just hate the thought of losing long battles at the 30th minute mark through no fault of my own. That is what scares me. That and half a life bar draining attacks.

Well, fatalis was one of the few monsters in the game where damage done to his health would carry over from your last battle with it. It led to a fun exploit where someone with a nearly dead fatalis would repeatedly start the quest and restart his PSP right before the end of the quest so that the rest of the team could farm fata parts.

Some parts could only be farmed from a completely healthy fata, though.

I'm not sure why Capcom decided not to have anything like those multi-episodic quests in Tri. Elder dragons also exhibited a little bit of this as well. If you did enough damage, they would flee and the quest would be considered an overall success without an opportunity to carve from anything other than the tail. The next time you fought that particular elder dragon, its health would be completely restored, but it would be missing a tail (if you had cut off the tail earlier).

Neat touches like that are the reason I still think more fondly of Freedom 2 and Unite than I do of Tri or Third.

Ridley327

I'm pretty sure Ceadeus had persistent health each time you fought him in MH3, but the impact of that was limited because there's only one mission that features him in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom