• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondriaan

I'm pretty sure Ceadeus had persistent health each time you fought him in MH3, but the impact of that was limited because there's only one mission that features him in that game.

Hmm, I forgot about Ceadeus. Why'd you have to remind me, lol. There's a reason some things are forgotten.

Ridley327

I love Ceadeus' design, but he really needed to be a great deal more aggressive; as it was, he's just a cool-looking manatee who sometimes shoots out a hydro laser. I hope that MH3U gave him a lot more to do.

Peru

I love Ceadeus' design, but he really needed to be a great deal more aggressive; as it was, he's just a cool-looking manatee who sometimes shoots out a hydro laser. I hope that MH3U gave him a lot more to do.

Eh, keeps in touch with the character, a sad creature who's disturbed the wrath of the humans through no ill will of his own. It's more of a story moment than anything, a graceful end to the earthquake narrative. Well, as graceful as you slashing away at a defenseless beast can get. Someone call PETA.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Ceadeus was possibly my least favorite mh monster to fight and this made me yearn for his armor/weapons. Almost like a batman complex, where I wanted to become the thing that plagued my dreams.

Ridley327

Eh, keeps in touch with the character, a sad creature who's disturbed the wrath of the humans through no ill will of his own. It's more of a story moment than anything, a graceful end to the earthquake narrative. Well, as graceful as you slashing away at a defenseless beast can get. Someone call PETA.

I get that, but since I don't give two craps about the story in these games, I want my wrath of sea god mayhem!

Mondriaan

More like someone call Greenpeace. :p

Peru

I may not want to fight Caedus often but I really liked those moments fighting him for the first time.. it was fittingly epic as a good old boss. I mean, at the very least there's the music.

Kyoufu

I may not want to fight Caedus often but I really liked those moments fighting him for the first time.. it was fittingly epic as a good old boss. I mean, at the very least there's the music.

As a MonHun veteran, I felt none of that "epicness" at all :(

I thought Lao was the epitome of epic when it comes to large monsters in MH.

Even Gran Miraos was an epic fail. 3rd generation of MH has disappointing designs.

It drops some of the normal loot but you still have to fight the regular one offline to make his set + other things.
Blah!

Same. It was quite fitting. The only reason I grew to hate Ceadeus was how long the fight takes because of all the swimming around in ruins.

Hunting Horn vets...chime in.

How difficult/pointless is it to use?

I've never done it before but I'm toying with trying to get good with it for multiplayer.

Ridley327

Lao is the least eventful fight ever.

That first time you ever see him in MH1 is one of the best things ever.

And then you start fighting him, and a damn unicorn is more engaging.

That's why I like fighting Jhen Mohran so much; he's a big monster that actually keeps you on your toes throughout. I'd always get one Jhen urgent in when I was on Tri just to beat up on him.

Mupod

Hunting Horn vets...chime in.

How difficult/pointless is it to use?

I've never done it before but I'm toying with trying to get good with it for multiplayer.

if you want to use it just to hide in a corner and be a buff bot, don't.

It's a plenty viable weapon now, and fairly simple to use right off the bat since its moveset is easier to deal with than the hammer. But there's tons of room for skill improvement since its best attacks are actually part of the recitals.

Just remember that if you want to KO, use the upswing.

That first time you ever see him in MH1 is one of the best things ever.

And then you start fighting him, and a damn unicorn is more engaging.

That's why I like fighting Jhen Mohran so much; he's a big monster that actually keeps you on your toes throughout. I'd always get one Jhen urgent in when I was on Tri just to beat up on him.

Jhen is too gimmicky for me. It's cool the first couple times I guess, and I don't hate the fight since I like jumping on his back and breaking those rocks in his spine. Lao is at least over faster and is good as a 'training dummy' so to speak, I used to use him to gauge how much more powerful a new hammer was since the fight was always the same. Triple pound, roll, triple pound, roll...

Ultratech

Lao is the least eventful fight ever.

Pretty much. I know for a fact that he's a complete joke in Dos.

Just stand under his belly and hack away (well, the head too until the horn breaks).

But I kept doing the fight since it has awesome music and it was an easy 10k (+ whatever the bounty was at the time). Plus, Eternal Strife ripped him up pretty good.

Mondriaan

Pretty much. I know for a fact that he's a complete joke in Dos.

Just stand under his belly and hack away (well, the head too until the horn breaks).

But I kept doing the fight since it has awesome music and it was an easy 10k (+ whatever the bounty was at the time). Plus, Eternal Strife ripped him up pretty good.
This is where it definitely helped to have a group.

I think that there was something like two to three minutes in the portable versions where there would be little to do except kill ioprey in one particular zone until they stopped spawning and upswing each other or shoot each other off of ladders while waiting for Lao to arrive (after you watched it pass by the balcony).

Chunky

Hey hunters, I'm stuck with the 3DS version for a while but I have got a question for the veterans; I dropped 100+ hours into P3rd, got pretty far into the high rank quests and basically saw all of that games content. Obviously Ultimate has underwater monsters (Gobul and Lagi <3) and the slimy bugger, but what else did they add specifically into U? I remember on an 8-4 episode they mentioned that the difficulty was higher than 3rd, which would be cool. I could see Urcusis had the ability to snowman you now, which was nice, did they update anyone else's movesets?

This stuff is really annoying. Why does the disc version get a worse experience, why can't we install the game data? Even the PSP game had an install option.

I should say that the times aren't that significant, but since I've got the option, I'll opt for the quicker one. I think there probably is an install involved in the disc version, but even then, it isn't all the info, similar to PS3 installs. This is all just continued growing pains of a disk based medium moving onto a new format. A shame, but probably something you wouldn't have even noticed unless someone laid out the comparison in speed for you. Wouldn't worry too much about it!

Beelzebub

if you want to use it just to hide in a corner and be a buff bot, don't.

Just remember that if you want to KO, use the upswing.

I was experimenting with that last night, though also got KO's on Plesioth with just the standard A attack and also with the forward A+X.

Another guy with an early copy of the game...

sgZHLevl.jpg

Schwabe

i'm curious how the server will be populated on tuesday. as of now there are no more than 4-6 people online xD

the good thin is, i can finish the low rank quests offline. done powderstone today \o/

evanmisha

Well, since it seems that we only fight it under the moonlight,

Winning love by daylight

But yeah, really pumped for this. As soon as the download goes up, I'm diving in.
Rookie hunter, but I'm gonna be sinking a ton of time into this. Add me~

NNID: emisha

Ridley327

why did they change the flagship monster for western release?
bracchidios looks better

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It makes sense to put the focus back on Rathalos, even if it is a subspecies; he's been the series favorite from day 1, and he certainly looks a lot more menacing than Brachydios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom