• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beats

How do you get the Charm Chaser skill? I've seen a few people online with it, but I don't have any armors or decorations that I can forge that have skill points going towards it. Is it a talisman only thing?

yami4ct

Going to run through some more HR1 quests online and hope to get to HR2. Making a room. World 1, Lobby9, Room Name:HR1. Gobul will be first.

Yep, MH (PS2) on the other hand...

I remember people doing Los tail runs; cut tail, carve and if no plate - abandon quest. You can get a plate carve off a tail and its body, can also get a plate from the tear and at the rewards screen here.

Flooded Forest or Tundra but spots.

Tbh we didn't ever abandon the quest, I had full fata armour plus fata lance, with headlocking the quest was over in < 5 mins anyway.

DaBoss

Ah, I'm an idiot, I made Cha-Cha wear the Ancient Mask and Kayamba wear the Grill Mask when doing Mark of a Hero. What would be the best mask to do lots of damage and usefulness? I'm thinking about having one of them have the Pitfall Mask.

Solune

Added. Do we know when the app to let the 3DS + Wii U play online together is coming out? I'll just be playing in a hub with my wife until then.

I tried DS and it was okay. I like the hammer best. Having the monster writhing on the floor in pain while the entire team hacks at it is a great feeling. And I'm a pretty good hammer user, too, and people rarely use hammers (without sucking, at least).

I just got the Peco Flint today, and damn is that good offline. I found a Great Jaggi in a free hunt and super pounded it twice to KO it, and then did two triple pound combos - dead! SO BUFF! I'm taking the same hammer route I took in tri, because having a Rathalos head as a hammer is just too goddamn good.

How far along are you?

Is such a patch coming? I haven't been keeping up with news at all. I want that Gamepad offscreen play though, shit is godlike.

I mained DS in Freedom Unite, it's pretty good but not as satisfying as a switch axe ;). My brother is a hammer user, the one thing I know is the head is the hammer user's region, don't go there else I want to face heaven's wrath.

Haha sounds like a similar story my brother told me. I don't know if it's just me but I find Switch Axes just don't have that fast DPS. I remember in Tri I killed a Great Jaggi with a full charged combo with a fire LS.

I'm HR5 in online quests and just finished Ceadeus offline so I'm on High Rank monsters offline.

You are going to LOVE Qurupeco. He's your next big monster and he can call out other monsters like "Big Dino asshole" and "Bear dude" to come help him. Oh, and he can heal himself. Go after him with a heavy weapon like a hammer or great sword. Dual blades won't scratch him unless you upgrade them heavily.

BTW, can anyone tell me how many quests I have to do to get out of HR1 and up to HR2?
oh the dodo bird I faced him solo before but at the marina desk not town
how much of an upgrade does my dual blades need? they are pretty strong at 168 ATK

Don't forget getting set on fire XD
And I would love to help you online Smiles and Cries when the cross region online patch comes =D

does this game require NNID? I have not checked multi online yet
if I can farm online with any gaffer I'll be all set EU players will be great for me with my insomnia

also if anyone is farming Lagiacrus online please invite a newbie :) I want those parts but don't want to swim with thunder breath alone

how much of an upgrade does my dual blades need? they are pretty strong at 168 ATK

if I can farm online with any gaffer I'll be all set EU players will be great for me with my insomnia

also if anyone is farming Lagiacrus online please invite a newbie :) I want those parts but don't want to swim with thunder breath alone
Online, you will use NNID and the name you made for your hunter, you will see the hunter name, but pressing L(?) will show their NNID If you meant adding people's NNID you don't have to, it just makes it more easier to find a GAF/friends room.

And I'm sure they'll be some GAFfers online that can help you right now.

I shall see ya/help ya when the patch comes =D

yami4ct

You can play with friends or randoms by making/joining a room. Currently EU/US can't play together, but that's changing with the next patch that also has off-tv play. I'm going to run a few quests right now World1-Lobby 2, Name HR1, if you or anyone wants to join.

Built 4 out of the 5 Lucent narga set. Missing the helmet (2 narag gems and the jehn one??? jesus), but my diablos X helmet gets me handicraft and i gemmed in spirit and carve master.

Purple sharpness is amazing. Im glad to have it again. I feel badass now, but sad that after spending so long making that diablos x set, i am now moved on to something else. Such is monster hunter i suppose.

Randdalf

So apparently if I were to get this game I should get the Wii U version and not the 3DS one? Problem for me is that I have access to my 3DS most of the time and my Wii U... not a lot of the time, because it lives at home whilst I'm at university. Of course the ideal situation would be to get both of them but obviously that's a big investment to make for a series I've never played before outside of demos. I also found it pretty difficult to play the 3DS version, without the circle pad attachment, in the demo...

yami4ct

So apparently if I were to get this game I should get the Wii U version and not the 3DS one? Problem for me is that I have access to my 3DS most of the time and my Wii U... not a lot of the time, because it lives at home whilst I'm at university. Of course the ideal situation would be to get both of them but obviously that's a big investment to make for a series I've never played before outside of demos. I also found it pretty difficult to play the 3DS version, without the circle pad attachment, in the demo...

Wii U has online, which is by far the best way to play the game. I'd get that and if you end up loving the game, grab the 3DS as well. The saves transfer so it all works out. Without the online, the game isn't nearly as fun.

Online, you will use NNID and the name you made for your hunter, you will see the hunter name, but pressing L(?) will show their NNID If you meant adding people's NNID you don't have to, it just makes it more easier to find a GAF/friends room.

And I'm sure they'll be some GAFfers online that can help you right now.

I shall see ya/help ya when the patch comes =D

great my NNID is nazaire
questing with a female character "Smiles(^^)"

Is such a patch coming? I haven't been keeping up with news at all. I want that Gamepad offscreen play though, shit is godlike.

I mained DS in Freedom Unite, it's pretty good but not as satisfying as a switch axe ;). My brother is a hammer user, the one thing I know is the head is the hammer user's region, don't go there else I want to face heaven's wrath.

Haha sounds like a similar story my brother told me. I don't know if it's just me but I find Switch Axes just don't have that fast DPS. I remember in Tri I killed a Great Jaggi with a full charged combo with a fire LS.

I'm HR5 in online quests and just finished Ceadeus offline so I'm on High Rank monsters offline.
I felt bad because I haven't played in a few years, so I told my wife "head belongs to me". Then I proceeded to misjudge Barroth's movement patterns several times in a row and superpound his legs, knocking her across the screen. -_- Once I saved her life, though, so it evens out - lol.

Japan is getting such a patch, so I would like to think Capcom will bring it over here, too. It would be foolish for them not to. I know Aieyla (GAF name and NNID) would dig playing with GAF members.

The switch axe was the one weapon that I just could not stand in Tri. I heard they made a few change to it for Ultimate (no obligatory "infinite" is good), so I might try it again. Right now I interchange between LS, GS, and Hammer depending on what I'm fighting. LS is usually my choice solo weapon because I go wild with the R1 combo.

Switch Axes have good sustained DPS. I don't know if anything has changed since Tri in this regard, but back then the sword form wasn't ever worth using. It actually had lower DPS than the axe form.

Coins

Banned
I have a ton of mats for different armor. If my wife played, could I give her mats so she would be a sturdier hunting partner?

I've gotten 4 street passes in the past few days and all of them are MH3U. I also convinced one of my friends to get it and we've agreed that our lives are over.

At least I have someone to play with now.

Quick question, how do I make a bomb casing?

Stone + Sap plant. You can by sap plants in the thousands from the old lady in the marina.

The best way is to just wait for a sale and buy Bomb casings from her directly without making them yourself. Sell parts of monsters whos equipment you will never make and stock up.

DaBoss

Ah, I'm an idiot, I made Cha-Cha wear the Ancient Mask and Kayamba wear the Grill Mask when doing Mark of a Hero. What would be the best mask to do lots of damage and usefulness? I'm thinking about having one of them have the Pitfall Mask.

Quoting so someone can answer it. :p

Switch Axes have good sustained DPS. I don't know if anything has changed since Tri in this regard, but back then the sword form wasn't ever worth using. It actually had lower DPS than the axe form.

I did not know this was the case in Tri, always thought Sword mode did more damage. Brady guide says Sword mode does more damage, so I guess they changed it.

Dragoshi1

Where do we find Rath marrow?

I have a set of armor I need made, and I need literally just ONE Rath Marrow.

I also have 3 plates from Rathian and some Lagi plates. The droprate is better now, except for these damn marrows.

Quoting so someone can answer it. :p

I did not know this was the case in Tri, always thought Sword mode did more damage. Brady guide says Sword mode does more damage, so I guess they changed it.

Sword mode does less because of the built in esp (never bounce). I cant imagine it doing more per single hit and still have that advantage.

NeoRausch

OK, where to get massive bones and Eltali-Ore?

edit:

massive bones! *giggleblush*

no idea what these items are called in English. just surly l direct translated from the German version by....me!

...massive bone....kekeke!

The individual sword mode hits have always done more damage, but the actual theoretical DPS it put out was smaller. Plus in Tri, the phials were all phails except for Power.

would this game be broken if Capcom allowed item/resources trading between players?

Like Animal Crossing?
I believe it will be pretty broken XD especially than you'll have things like "material farmers appearing"

Where do we find Rath marrow?

I have a set of armor I need made, and I need literally just ONE Rath Marrow.

I also have 3 plates from Rathian and some Lagi plates. The droprate is better now, except for these damn marrows.
Cut the tail off and hope to carve it out, probs try to capture it as well as for more carves.

about to download the 3DS version where is a good place for circle pad pro and extended battery?

got a long trip next week maybe amazon Prime would have been great but US Amazon hates 3DS
LLShC.gif

Pyrokai

I think I'm about to buy this game. As soon as I finish two other games in my backlog, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Do you guys voice chat? Should I pick up a headset for my Wii U when I buy the game? I hope you guys are still playing in a week or so lol

Also, is there a chance this game's servers could get pulled like the Wii version, or will that not be an issue because of the new Nintendo Network now? Just curious.

NeoRausch

about to download the 3DS version where is a good place for circle pad pro and extended battery?

got a long trip next week maybe amazon Prime would have been great but US Amazon hates 3DS
LLShC.gif

you know what's bad?
the battery extender are plugged on, therefore you can't use the CPP...

can't you plug a charger? easiest way to get the CCP XL is importing from Europe I guess. Amazon?

DoubleTap

LLShC.gif

Ebay for CPP.
Amazon for cheap USB charging cable and any of the portable battery packs.

A CPP and Extended Battery attached at the same time is a no go (if you didn't know that already).

I think I'm about to buy this game. As soon as I finish two other games in my backlog, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Do you guys voice chat? Should I pick up a headset for my Wii U when I buy the game? I hope you guys are still playing in a week or so lol

Also, is there a chance this game's servers could get pulled like the Wii version, or will that not be an issue because of the new Nintendo Network now? Just curious.
Can just voice chat through WiiU Pad, some people may like to talk others prefer to type to avoid confusion. All servers will one day go down but you are fine because everything you get from online applies to your single player. And there are plenty of people online, even more GAFfers come the April, GamePad play and cross region online play =D

DaBoss

I swear to god, Plates are so troll. You see the icon and go like, "OMG MAYBE I GOT ONE!!!111" and then you find out it is a scale...

Also, thanks for the answers regarding the Sword mode.

Can someone please tell me what the best masks are? I think I'm going to go with Pitfall Mask for Cha-Cha. Can't decide between Ultimate Mask or Rathalos Mask for Kayamba.

Solune

I felt bad because I haven't played in a few years, so I told my wife "head belongs to me". Then I proceeded to misjudge Barroth's movement patterns several times in a row and superpound his legs, knocking her across the screen. -_- Once I saved her life, though, so it evens out - lol.

Japan is getting such a patch, so I would like to think Capcom will bring it over here, too. It would be foolish for them not to. I know Aieyla (GAF name and NNID) would dig playing with GAF members.

The switch axe was the one weapon that I just could not stand in Tri. I heard they made a few change to it for Ultimate (no obligatory "infinite" is good), so I might try it again. Right now I interchange between LS, GS, and Hammer depending on what I'm fighting. LS is usually my choice solo weapon because I go wild with the R1 combo.

Haha my brother and I always say "I saved your life" whenever FF occurs. Joking or not.

Ahh ok that's really good to hear about the patch, combined with Cross Region play that's really excellent.

I don't know what the changes are =O it largely feels the same to me except that I don't use the wild swinging combo anymore. LS R1 combo is OP! Had a HR41 hunter come and beast on low rank monsters with Stygian Gula. It felt both entertaining and dumb because it was pretty much showing off as opposed to helping. Or it could be both and I'm just a cynical asshole but meh.

Axe form Overhead has the highest Damage multiplier besides the Phial Discharge attack (explosion) it's really good when a monsters tired or you get inbetween their legs. However the Side swing and the Upwards swing actually have lower damage multipliers than the Sword forms Up and Down swings. Sword is actually really good for damaging parts, particularly tails. I want Capcom to update the titles with Tail Sever or something, it's what I do!

Also during group hunts, Sword form does FF but not nearly as bad as the Axe form's upswing. So if you're both attack the same region for some reason (it happens because of no communication sometimes) you won't knock the other person over.

tbhysgb

Both the 3DS version and WiiU version are pretty awesome. Once you get a taste of online it's hard to only play single player. I've got both versions and if you want the 3DS version I say to pick it up. Worth every penny.

Bones from Azuros, Lagombi or Volvidon. The ores from anywhere? I think I've got them both in the desert and on the island.

I can confirm the ore thing. Also, so far they're pretty rare for me. Just got up to HR 7 and I have like 7 of them, even though I mine often. Might be that there's more of those in the G volcano area, no idea. Will find out tomorrow I suppose.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
does the 3DS have a demo for this game? I just want to see before I commit

not sure where my 3DS is right now

Yes, although I find the real game to run at a much better frame rate. I was really surprised how much the 3DS version impressed me. It will give you an idea about playing with the touch screen though.

Haha my brother and I always say "I saved your life" whenever FF occurs. Joking or not.

Ahh ok that's really good to hear about the patch, combined with Cross Region play that's really excellent.

I don't know what the changes are =O it largely feels the same to me except that I don't use the wild swinging combo anymore. LS R1 combo is OP! Had a HR41 hunter come and beast on low rank monsters with Stygian Gula. It felt both entertaining and dumb because it was pretty much showing off as opposed to helping. Or it could be both and I'm just a cynical asshole but meh.

Axe form Overhead has the highest Damage multiplier besides the Phial Discharge attack (explosion) it's really good when a monsters tired or you get inbetween their legs. However the Side swing and the Upwards swing actually have lower damage multipliers than the Sword forms Up and Down swings. Sword is actually really good for damaging parts, particularly tails. I want Capcom to update the titles with Tail Sever or something, it's what I do!

Also during group hunts, Sword form does FF but not nearly as bad as the Axe form's upswing. So if you're both attack the same region for some reason (it happens because of no communication sometimes) you won't knock the other person over.
Hahaha, I might steal your brother's meme.

The high rank hunters who go help lowbies are almost always show-offs. I've met a few who get all excited and want to go pummel low-rank monsters. It's not something I understand, since I largely enjoy this game because it's challenging. Sure, now and then it's cool to go back to see how far you've advanced, but that's about it. I also don't approve of depriving low level hunters of the joy of their first experience. I might be much more experienced than my wife, but since it's just 2 of us playing online we're having to pull double loads, so it balances out. She was having a hell of a time until she got her new DSes, though, because yellow was bouncing off of everything and the green was just a sliver. So she would run in and do like 10 hits, and then have to sharpen over and over - lol. I made getting her a better weapon a priority. We farmed her a Lagombi outfit because she likes the bunny ears, and I'm thinking we should get her a Razor Sharp skill to help out with the DS's problem.

Axes upswing me all the time - drives me nuts. -_- I'm awful at cutting tails with the GS. I whiff 80% of my strikes like a damn fool. I'm better at it with the LS for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom