• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, I might steal your brother's meme.

The high rank hunters who go help lowbies are almost always show-offs. I've met a few who get all excited and want to go pummel low-rank monsters. It's not something I understand, since I largely enjoy this game because it's challenging. Sure, now and then it's cool to go back to see how far you've advanced, but that's about it. I also don't approve of depriving low level hunters of the joy of their first experience. I might be much more experienced than my wife, but since it's just 2 of us playing online we're having to pull double loads, so it balances out. She was having a hell of a time until she got her new DSes, though, because yellow was bouncing off of everything and the green was just a sliver. So she would run in and do like 10 hits, and then have to sharpen over and over - lol. I made getting her a better weapon a priority. We farmed her a Lagombi outfit because she likes the bunny ears, and I'm thinking we should get her a Razor Sharp skill to help out with the DS's problem.

Axes upswing me all the time - drives me nuts. -_- I'm awful at cutting tails with the GS. I whiff 80% of my strikes like a damn fool. I'm better at it with the LS for some reason.

add me Karst! What rank are you guys now?

NeoRausch

Bones from Azuros, Lagombi or Volvidon. The ores from anywhere? I think I've got them both in the desert and on the island.

I can confirm the ore thing. Also, so far they're pretty rare for me. Just got up to HR 7 and I have like 7 of them, even though I mine often. Might be that there's more of those in the G volcano area, no idea. Will find out tomorrow I suppose.

thank you very muuuuch!

Mupod

ok time to get my ass out of HR3. Not gonna look at key quests, just gonna do whatever.

If you'd like to join me I'll be in FP3 - lobby 9. (NA)

hutna

Couple of questions for my fellow GAF hunters:

1. What does that green and orange icon to the right of a character's name mean?
  2. For those with an 3DSXL, is the top screen as succecptable to glare as the 3DS? It's hard to play in cavern zones while outdoors.

DaBoss

1. What does that green and orange icon to the right of a character's name mean?
  2. For those with an 3DSXL, is the top screen as succecptable to glare as the 3DS? It's hard to play in cavern zones while outdoors.

1. Do you mean in a lobby? That means the type of quest they have chosen.
2. I played a number of times on the bus, and I had to put it on level 4 brightness and it was fine.

Hoodbury

[*]What does that green and orange icon to the right of a character's name mean?

Online you can set a sort of 'status' for yourself. There are things like looking to quest, no mic, and things like that. They each have a different icon I believe.

Sakura

Just a quick question, but I could've sworn on the Giantbombcast, Patrick said something about playing with people from Japan? But I thought cross region play wasn't in yet? Or can you play with people from Japan but not from Europe?

DaBoss

No idea, it's for some G-rank level something or other. Guessing it's a special location for one of the elder dragons.

Silver Los, Gold Ian, Lucent Narga (not sure about this one, it could be some other place).

Just a quick question, but I could've sworn on the Giantbombcast, Patrick said something about playing with people from Japan? But I thought cross region play wasn't in yet? Or can you play with people from Japan but not from Europe?

Can't play cross-region yet. And Japan is not going to be included for cross-region online.

Ken

No idea, it's for some G-rank level something or other. Guessing it's a special location for one of the elder dragons.

It's available at HR8. It's the location where you fight the rare subspecies like Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos, and Lucent Nargacuga. There's a bonepile spot in that area that gives Elder Dragonbones and stuff.

Silver Los, Gold Ian, Lucent Narga (not sure about this one, it could be some other place).

You fight L. Narga there too, but it's at night and looks pretty cool.

Raide

High Rank is making sense. I am finally getting all those random items I need to finally make sets and weapons. Made a Bamboo Bow. :D

I'm just HR1, and like I said, I'm staying away from online until my wife can join me. My PSN is Karsticles if you want to add me up, though! I'm sure we'll be there eventually.

haha, I usually play Mahvel offline and been neglecting offline Monster Hunter. MP is too much fun. Maybe Street Fighter is a good middle ground.

I won't be that dude "I saved your life" but its always fun to fight with a party. Just got HR6 last night but still rocking HR2 armor with HR4-5 weapons.

Gloam

Tried the 'Playing with Fire' quest with a buddy yesterday. We got rocked, really dropped the ball and dragon wiped us out pretty handily. Still, had a lot of fun, first face-to-face hunting I've done in a while last time we were using PSPs, all took a while to get used to, figuring out how to join one another and what not. Looking forward to next time and beating up on that bird once and for all.

ok time to get my ass out of HR3. Not gonna look at key quests, just gonna do whatever.

If you'd like to join me I'll be in FP3 - lobby 9. (NA)

Anyone for HR3 Rathalos "The Omen"?

HR3 Rathal
Free Play 01
Lobby 7
target - Rathalos

Wish I could join one of you guys now. If you're still doing HR3 stuff in 2 hours I'll be on to join you. I've been stuck in HR3 for a few days now and would like to make some progress. I've been mostly helping people with HR1 and 2 stuff, but that's been fine with me. This is one of the few games I can play for hours and help someone make progress and make no progress myself and still love every second of it. Well, I shouldn't say I don't make any progress, because more loot is always a good thing.

Pyrokai

Can just voice chat through WiiU Pad, some people may like to talk others prefer to type to avoid confusion. All servers will one day go down but you are fine because everything you get from online applies to your single player. And there are plenty of people online, even more GAFfers come the April, GamePad play and cross region online play =D

Oh sweet! Great to hear, thank you!

DaBoss

So how do you unlock Drinks in the Canteen? I've seen drinks listed on the Brady guide, but I don't have them.

Also, what is the fastest way to increase mastery on a mask?

Raide

So how do you unlock Drinks in the Canteen? I've seen drinks listed on the Brady guide, but I don't have them.

Also, what is the fastest way to increase mastery on a mask?

The Tanzia Port stuff has [Canteen] next to quests that will add items. In HR2 I think but I could be wrong.

Solune

Hahaha, I might steal your brother's meme.
They'll never know the difference!
The high rank hunters who go help lowbies are almost always show-offs. I've met a few who get all excited and want to go pummel low-rank monsters. It's not something I understand, since I largely enjoy this game because it's challenging. Sure, now and then it's cool to go back to see how far you've advanced, but that's about it. I also don't approve of depriving low level hunters of the joy of their first experience. I might be much more experienced than my wife, but since it's just 2 of us playing online we're having to pull double loads, so it balances out. She was having a hell of a time until she got her new DSes, though, because yellow was bouncing off of everything and the green was just a sliver. So she would run in and do like 10 hits, and then have to sharpen over and over - lol. I made getting her a better weapon a priority. We farmed her a Lagombi outfit because she likes the bunny ears, and I'm thinking we should get her a Razor Sharp skill to help out with the DS's problem.
Lagombi armor reminds me of Kite from .hack! I might make G rank armor of that. For your wife I recommend getting Fencing if possible, you get ESP or Mind's Eye which prevents bouncing. It's what I use in Freedom Unite anyways. Mind's Eye plus Dash Drink = infinite Demon mode.
Axes upswing me all the time - drives me nuts. -_- I'm awful at cutting tails with the GS. I whiff 80% of my strikes like a damn fool. I'm better at it with the LS for some reason.
I still do upswing FF sometimes, depends on if I'm aiming for part damage or not, reading the situation!
GS is one of the hardest weapons in the game IMO. LS has more room for error and the overhead slice is quite fast so I'm not surprised.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Going back to Lance from SA is awesome. It's crazy how much better you can get with one weapon by using one of an entirely different style. A+

Kaji

2. As someone who travels on the bus everyday for work, I kind of hate using my 3DSxl on it when it's sunny makes it very hard to see, when I use my Vita I have zero problems at all (dat screen :)) It's not a deal breaker because clearly I need my MH fix to and from work...

Raide

so how far behind am I guys?

just got done with Urgent Quest: Shakalaka Savior

when do I get masks for this guy cause he is ugly lol

how do I hit HR2?

Do HR1 Urgent Quest, get to HR2. The HR stuff in mainly for the Tanzia Port Solo/Online stuff. The Moga Village has its own sets of stuff.

As for masks, he shares ChaCha's.

WhyMe6

For those with an 3DSXL, is the top screen as succecptable to glare as the 3DS? It's hard to play in cavern zones while outdoors.

Most definitely. I went to play outside yesterday - in a shaded area - but it was too glarey to play Flooded Forest on the highest brightness. So yeah, I'm still having the same problems I had with my OG 3DS.

Kyzon

Ugh, just played with some childish guy named Wet Pink. He just goes off spoiting homophobic, and racist stuff because someone missed with the dragonator.

Accident's happen, no need to shout at that poor guy.

Edit: I'm G-Rank :3

Ken

Ugh, just played with some childish guy named Wet Pink. He just goes off spoiting homophobic, and racist stuff because someone missed with the dragonator.

Accident's happen, no need to shout at that poor guy.

Edit: I'm G-Rank :3

you don't even need dragonator to kill stuff

Lagombi armor reminds me of Kite from .hack! I might make G rank armor of that. For your wife I recommend getting Fencing if possible, you get ESP or Mind's Eye which prevents bouncing. It's what I use in Freedom Unite anyways. Mind's Eye plus Dash Drink = infinite Demon mode.
That's not a bad idea in place of Razor Sharp. I'll explore that. She doesn't like the look of Wroggi or Agnaktor armor. She's not really using Demon Mode yet, she's still getting used to the basics of the game. Yesterday I taught her about armor skills.

Edit: Gigginox X set has Razor Sharp, and she digs that style. I'll probably go in that direction with her.

muu

Yeah, the online quest is just the second part. No long chase.

That's what I use too. He was whining about how I needed to use ballista first.

Oh well :p

There will always be the know-it-alls that don't know when to shut up. Worse is when they don't know wtf they're talking about, like in your case it seems. Was trying to figure out timing for sonic bomb vs Diablos, some idiot starts telling me I'm doing it all wrong (well no shit since I don't know), then proceeds to faint twice. Glad you got the skill to match your knowledge there, big guy.

Koroviev

For those of you with both versions...which do you prefer?

I have the 3DS version....but I keep seeing pictures and I'm considering a WiiU :(

ijed

I need two cactus flowers for my honey box

let me guess someplace with sand and heat

go to that one place in sandy plains and at the very back is a patch of cacti. it's one of the 3 areas that needs a cool drink. it's up in the north west of the map.

I get mine from the area with the mud that Barroth sleeps in - save yourself a cold drink :)

Also Caedeus done last night - timed out the first 2 times but got him on the 3rd.
Are the monsters in HR more like the older MonHuns damage-wise? Went through all the village quests without being carted once. Hoping the real Monster Hunter starts here

oh god

any fishing tips? goldfish quest 1 star

skip the mission it's not required. later one when you have 3 snakebee larva and ?? (i forget) combine them into goldenfish bait and you can use that bait (remember it's x to use items not "A" that fishes with normal worms) and you will always catch goldenfish

this is a lesson in combining items and bringing the correct items to what the mision requires. on that note, wyvern eggs and powderstone missions are a lesson in knowing what msision you're doing and bringing the correct armor (in this case, loc lac)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom