• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Nintendoland is a-okay with me.

You guys got an hour to help me convince my brother he wants to buy this game with me using Amazon's 3DS+WiiU deal. Normal gaming habits: Call of Duty, Madden, NBA2k, and borrowing my PS3 to play Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he loves Pokemon lol.

Ridley327

You guys got an hour to help me convince my brother he wants to buy this game using Amazon's 3DS+WiiU deal. Normal gaming habits: Call of Duty, Madden, NBA2k, and borrowing my PS3 to play Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics.

MH3U will make all those games feel terrible to play as a result of its strict tutelage!

You guys got an hour to help me convince my brother he wants to buy this game with me using Amazon's 3DS+WiiU deal. Normal gaming habits: Call of Duty, Madden, NBA2k, and borrowing my PS3 to play Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics.

Does he want to feel accomplished as a gamer, moreso than winning his Madden league or hitting prestige multiple times in CoD? Then he needs Monster Hunter.

Chorazin

Unless he has an extremely open mind and a willingness to put time into the game, he's probably not going to enjoy it.

Fistwell

It's got giant buster swords like cloud in ff7. Giant katanas like sephiroth in ff7. You can shoot monsters in the face (kinda like cod).

I got nothing.

Edit: oh, oh! It sorta has bahamut and tiamat, like the summons in ff7, only you actually fight them, stab them IN THE ASS, then wear their skin (and dance in it). So it's like ff7 pretty much, only cooler.

Show him the Long Sword spirit combo done by a guy with long white hair.

DaBoss

Monster Hunter is a pseudo-fighting action game with a focus on fighting monsters larger than you.
Combat is deliberate and makes you time things like you would in a fighting game. Gathering materials,
crafting, and upgrading equipment is how you'll get stronger. You'll basically never finish the game. Think
of the game as Smash Bros in terms of single-player vs multiplayer. Single-player is fun, but multiplayer
is a hell of an experience.

Thoraxes

photo.jpg

my body is ready. i chose to connect it to my pc monitor rather then my big tv just incase the g/f wants to watch tv or whatnot. D:

And once April rolls around you won't have that problem. Unless you want something a lil bigger than the gamepad I suppose.

Riposte

Another question: Can I preorder MH3U for WiiU by itself right now for like 60 dollas (using amazon credit), then later preorder it for 3DS and charging a debit card with only 20 dollars?

Rootbeer

Banned
I have the MH3U Wii U + 3DS bundle ordered on amazon, I tried the 3DS version and found it really frustrating because of the weak camera controls. And of course, no CPP for the XL to be found in the states... was barely able to find the CPP for my normal 3DS, which I have sense traded in >.>

Where can I get a CPP XL at a low/no markup? All the ones I'm seeing are like $45+ which is outrageous

I'm not sure I can stand to play the 3DS version without it :T

I know how my luck is. As soon as I order one Nintendo will announce the third 3DS design and I'll want to upgrade to it... bah

Another question: Can I preorder MH3U for WiiU by itself right now for like 60 dollas (using amazon credit), then later preorder it for 3DS and charging a debit card with only 20 dollars?
I am under the understanding that it must be in the same order. It's a decent deal for a game launch.

Chorazin

Where can I get a CPP XL at a low/no markup? All the ones I'm seeing are like $45+ which is outrageous

That's not too bad of a markup. With shipping it's $42 from Play Asia.

No, you have to preorder both at the same time. But, they don't charge until they ship the games.

Riposte

Hmmm lame. Okay, now for my last and greatest question: Can you limit the amount of amazon credit you use in an order?

EDIT: Oh yeah, he loves Pokemon lol.

Generally...if Monster Hunter is concerned; someone needs to be convinced...they maybe shouldn't play it.

Why not just buy it AFTER he's watched you play it and had a chance to try it himself?

In the end, it's only $20 and if he does end up liking it the two of you will be pouring tonnes of hours into it which (IMO) is well worth it.

Anyone want to jump into Tri online with me tonight for old times sake?

Experience all the hard earned equipment we collected before we have to start fresh?

insin

Neo Member
Monster hunter is a game where you kill monsters so you can make gear so you can kill monsters faster so you can make gear so you can kill monsters faster so you can make gear so you can kill monsters faster so you can make gear so you can kill monsters faster so you can make gear so you can kill monsters faster... (continues for 100s of compelling hours)

Here's the cream of my Tri gear.

At least when it's time to say goodbye to MH3U, EU/US won't be an issue.

No wonder he got banned!

The Mana Legend got banned? Lol I remember he kept rebutting my posts when I said Nintendo in all honesty needed a must have game for the Wii U to succeed and thus far (at February) didn't have it. From his last posts on his history I have no idea why he was banned though XD

Peru

I have the MH3U Wii U + 3DS bundle ordered on amazon, I tried the 3DS version and found it really frustrating because of the weak camera controls. And of course, no CPP for the XL to be found in the states... was barely able to find the CPP for my normal 3DS, which I have sense traded in >.>

You absolutely can, imo, with the target cam, I'd say even underwater fighting is easier than before with only that on the 3DS. Takes a fight or two to get used to. Use touch d-pad for traversinng.

But at play-asia the CCPxl (slide pad LL) is 23 bucks.

Busaiku

Are armors/classes sex specific or something?
Really didn't like that all the male classes in the demo were so bulky/clunky looking.

Infinite

Really didn't like that all the male classes in the demo were so bulky/clunky looking.

Not really armor just looks different looks different depending on what sex the character is. I always play as a female character in monster hunter since I feel their armor looks better.

Busaiku

Nope. AFAIK every armor has a male and female version and they differ aesthetically.

Not really armor just looks different looks different depending on what sex the character is. I always play as a female character in monster hunter since I feel their armor looks better.

Bah, so all the male armor will be all super huge and stuff like that?
Really hate that...

Mupod

There are no 'classes'. You can make/use whatever armor and weapons you want.

Male and female armors look different, yes. There's like two female-exclusive armor sets I think? Neither are particularly good in terms of stats but they are cute.

Huh. Reading about the changes in Monster Hunter 4... it seems like I would enjoy that game far more.

But it's not out yet...

So 3U it is, I guess.

The way to get someone into Monster Hunter:

- Let them play the intro of Tri. The first few hours and Great Jaggi fight are awesome for easing someone into it. People may enjoy the leisurely gathering and crafting aspect.

- Sit there with them, help them out a bit, tell them how to make potions and mega potions. Teach them to sharpen and eat meat. Show them the goofy stuff like gestures, the pig, the meat cooking.

- Play a split-screen arena fight with them against the Great Jaggi, show them what multi is like. Introduce them to the use of bombs and traps with this if you'd like.

- Let them play the Wii U demo, showing how great it looks by direct comparison. Now they understand the gameplay and items enough to appreciate the demo better.

This really works.

My friend had heard great things about Monster Hunter years ago, bought the first one on PS2, and absolutely hated it. Tried to get into it multiple times and couldn't. He was thinking of trying it again with this game, so I took the above steps. I wasn't trying to convert him specifically, I knew he'd decide on his own if it was any good, but he really took to it.

Did the same thing to another friend who had never played a Monster Hunter and he wants it too. :)

Busaiku

Huh. Reading about the changes in Monster Hunter 4... it seems like I would enjoy that game far more.

But it's not out yet...

So 3U it is, I guess.

I dunno about the changes or anything, but I was really hesitant on getting this game since it doesn't have online (3DS only).
But I figure I should show my support and get acquainted with the general systems anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom