• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions:

Anyone have thoughts on soloing ability while using a bow? I really like the feel, but I don't want to main a support class weapon type, especially if it makes solo play a pain. I worry about crafting ammo types and whether damage output is reasonable.

I've also seen a lot of talk about SnS being more about status effects and element damage. (Not sure I entirely understand) Does this mean it's a better weapon for group play or that you'll have to fashion weapons to address the weaknesses of specific enemies to be viable? I like the speed, but want to make sure my damage is good.

Doorman

I can't help but think they have the original Japanese staff go through a list when they do this. If so they really need to filter it through native speakers of each language to know who big an issue some words are or aren't.

But then it seems all of these censorship systems are fundamentally flawed.

Text-based filters wind up being largely pointless anyway, as if somebody really wants to drop profanity into the chat, it's normally pretty easy enough to work around their attempts anyway. Like trying to build a dam with a single sheet of plywood.

Alright, what do you guys think of Dual Sword users?

Because that's where I'm aiming.

I think...they like to use dual swords? Unless their combos somehow have some tendency to way get in the way of other people a la Longsword spirit combos, I don't think there's going to be a bias against them or anything, if that's what you were worried about. I suppose my only concern would be if it's common for DS users to rush in too often and get their asses kicked because they don't pull out of their combos in time.

Either way, don't worry about GAF perception of your weapon choices, everything in the game is perfectly viable and has opportunities so mess with other players. Just be mindful when online that you're playing with a team and try to keep a bit of spatial awareness as far as where everyone's trying to target on the monster and it'll be fine.

kidko

man, maybe I'm just out of practice but I can't for the life of me kill Plesioth in the demo. And I've killed everything in Tri.

Don't feel bad man, happened to me too. It took about 8-9 tries after watching vids of other people do it to pick up any possible tips. Really it's just about luck, I think, with how much time he spends on the shore vs. area 11

Two questions:

Anyone have thoughts on soloing ability while using a bow? I really like the feel, but I don't want to main a support class weapon type, especially if it makes solo play a pain. I worry about crafting ammo types and whether damage output is reasonable.

I've also seen a lot of talk about SnS being more about status effects and element damage. (Not sure I entirely understand) Does this mean it's a better weapon for group play or that you'll have to fashion weapons to address the weaknesses of specific enemies to be viable? I like the speed, but want to make sure my damage is good.

You can definitely solo the village quests using the bow, but damage output might not be as good as other weapon types unless you abuse skills such as Adrenaline, which is risky. You should also have different bow coatings such as poison, power, paralyze and sleep coatings.

SnS is also not a weapon type where you can just use for pure raw damage, IMO. You gotta have an element or status on it for maximum effectiveness.

Hoodbury

beat my first Monster
3AQmK.gif
in the DEMO

Finally on my way to learning how to play

Congrats, it all starts with getting that first kill. After that, you're hooked for good.

I would like this to catch on, but if not, oh well...
In honor and preparation of the release of MH3U, instead of talking about charms tables and all that good stuff, it would only be more appropriate to talk about our origin stories as hunters. How did you guys get into the Monster Hunter franchise? And if you want: What are some memorable events that occurred in any game previously released?

I'll just say mine:
I had a good friend who kept talking up the games, I had never heard of it until he showed off MH Freedom Unite to me. It seemed extremely difficult to play and I didnt understand the concept behind the game, but damn, their weapons were super cool. It wasnt until Monster Hunter Tri was announced for the Wii when I really got excited for the game, I looked up every but of information to prepare me for the game.
I actually went out of my way to go to a Gamestop the day the demo released and picked that up. I dont remember my original impressions of the demo beyond 'It was kick-ass'. I was well aware of the control issues, but I sucked it up and enjoyed the game regardless. Gamestop did fuck up my preorder and I ended up not getting the Classic Controller Pro, but I got used to the Wiimote.

As for memorable events:
I remember having a particularly hard time fighting the Uragaan. I lost countless times. After one of my many goes, I actually finally took it down, with 1 second left. I actually jumped out of my chair pumping my arms. Since then, life has picked up for me, and I dont think I've had much of a chance to fight it again beyond the online campaigns.

So yeah... What's your origin story?

Jarsonot

I've heard good things, challenging things, about this series of games. Interest peaked, I'm in. My origin story begins with 3U. =)

Peru

Yeah I got into it via Tri as well. The concept did it for me, it connected something fierce to the neanderthal, ur-human in me, the basic instincts, the idea of methodically preparing for a big, scary hunt and taking down wild beasts. This was what the title of the game told me, and the visuals, and I knew that no matter how much work it took I would get into the series. I did so very quickly, mostly because I read up on it and watched videos of it before getting it to make me properly prepared for the fight dynamics even though I didn't have a friend who could introduce me to it.

Moved on from Tri to Freedom Unite to scratch my portable itch, and even though, in the words of youtuber Icemannoob, when you go from 3rd gen to FU you "might as well kill yourself", I got hooked on that one as well and spent a lot of time soloing the hitboxes away.

Ken

I bought two copies of MHFU for me and a friend I met in college so we would have a co-op game to play. Played a bit myself and ended up not liking it so I forgot about giving the copy to my friend and that was the end of my MHFU career.

Fast forward to second year and one of my roommates got the demo for Tri. I don't really remember playing it at all but for some reason I bought a copy of the full game and had fun playing it on my roommate's Wii. Eventually 2 of my other roommates started playing it, and I ended up buying my own black Wii to retain my own save leading to long nights of Monster Hunter sessions with the three of us plus one online random. We had two CRTs and used a netbook for a third screen; it wasn't optimal but it worked well enough.

That lead me to importing P3rd and going off on my own hunts and here I am now.

I picked up a circle pad pro and I have to admit, it looks kind of clunky. I don't think it's supported in the demo so I'll have to wait until the game comes out. I heard on another site that 3rd party games launch at noon on the E shop instead of midnight. Is that true?

I'm pretty much a newbie to Monster Hunter but I've really enjoyed playing both the WiiU and 3DS demos. Right now I'm trying out all of the weapons in the demo until I find a favorite (currently using the Hunting Horn). So I think I'm going to go with the Amazon deal tomorrow. Anyone getting these games digitally though?

I probably won't receive both copies until near the end of the week so I may finally open the copy of Tri that I've had sitting around for a few months.

Proven

Two questions:

Statuses are Paralyze, Poison, and Sleep, and do exactly what they sound like. For two of them, if playing solo it may be better to be using barrel bombs.

Elemental damage is like bonus damage that's tied to a monster's individual weakness to each element. The way elemental damage scales vs. raw damage means that faster hitting weapons get more out of it, while slower weapons prefer more raw damage. Because the SnS has low raw damage to begin with despite it's speed, it's encouraged to use elemental weapons if you want to match or overcome the DPS of other weapons.

No experience with Bows, but it's one of the weapons I plan to use in Ultimate too.

In honor and preparation of the release of MH3U, instead of talking about charms tables and all that good stuff, it would only be more appropriate to talk about our origin stories as hunters. How did you guys get into the Monster Hunter franchise? And if you want: What are some memorable events that occurred in any game previously released?

I'll just say mine:
I had a good friend who kept talking up the games, I had never heard of it until he showed off MH Freedom Unite to me. It seemed extremely difficult to play and I didnt understand the concept behind the game, but damn, their weapons were super cool. It wasnt until Monster Hunter Tri was announced for the Wii when I really got excited for the game, I looked up every but of information to prepare me for the game.
I actually went out of my way to go to a Gamestop the day the demo released and picked that up. I dont remember my original impressions of the demo beyond 'It was kick-ass'. I was well aware of the control issues, but I sucked it up and enjoyed the game regardless. Gamestop did fuck up my preorder and I ended up not getting the Classic Controller Pro, but I got used to the Wiimote.

As for memorable events:
I remember having a particularly hard time fighting the Uragaan. I lost countless times. After one of my many goes, I actually finally took it down, with 1 second left. I actually jumped out of my chair pumping my arms. Since then, life has picked up for me, and I dont think I've had much of a chance to fight it again beyond the online campaigns.

The infamous "Gotcha Bitch!" video got me interested, but I didn't have a PSP. When Tri was releasing a friend tried to get me to grab the demo and try it out, but in the end all of the painful stuff I'd heard about the series over the years caused me to chicken out at the last second.

Fast forward to a few weeks after release, and I decide to rent it through Gamefly anyway. I tried to the single player with the Nunchuck, which was slow and I actually ended up wasting at least an hour not realizing I was supposed to do something. But learning about the gathering and combining systems (Gather meat and cook it to increase your stamina and you can stay in free hunt indefinitely! Look for mushrooms, honey, and whetstones to keep yourself going!) made that hour breeze by. Then actually falling for their emphasis on watching monsters, even stuff like the ants, and learning from their behavior and how to exploit it got to me. It was like watching an entire ecosystem (although in retrospect, the fact that most monsters don't interact or even acknowledge monsters of other species annoys me).

Then killing the herbavoirs, to Jaggis and Ludroth, to the Great Jaggi and Royal Ludroth felt natural. And somewhere around there I got hooked, and convinced 4 other friends to buy the game and play with me online. We had a good summer together.

All of those friends are getting 3U on 3DS with me, with two who already got Wii U's getting the Amazon bundle as well. Roping another means that we have a little guild of 6 to meet up weekly and go to town.

I really only stopped playing Tri because my friends and I got to high rank Jhen, Jho, and Ala and killed 'em. Since I knew that they were the last monsters in the game, I no longer had any resolve to grind them. Also, all three are really annoying to fight against with SnS, my favorite weapon, and very risky for Hammer, my second favorite.

I'll be adding Hunting Horn and Bow to my repertoire at the very least for this expansion.

Pretty boring story: Lord_Grahf on GFAQs kept preaching Tri up, so I tried the demo. I told him that after 4 hours of playing, I wasn't sure if I liked it. He told me that if I could stand the game for 4 hours, I should get it, because I will like it. He was right, and I put over 500 hours into Tri.

A memorable event...when Ceadeus finally gave me the last thing I needed to complete his set after I killed him over 50 goddamn times. Sonofa...

HooYaH

I'm just wondering, is every monster soloable since I'm getting this on the 3DS? It's quite sad that Capcom isn't even trying to add net play.

My story with MH is a kinda long one even though I am still a newbie. I was interested when the MHFU demo came out because there was the whole "This shit is crazy popular in Japan" situation, so I checked it out and of course it suffered the whole Capcom makes shitty MonHun demos problem so I didn't bother.

My next shot was when the Tri demo got to Gamestop's out here before release, I though "Maybe it is way better on console" and it still didn't click with me.

Then 8-4 Play did their episode about the franchise which prompted me to go out and buy Tri, this is when I started to kinda see what the game was about but I was still too overwhelmed.

Then they announced Ultimate for the West, and as a starved Wii U owner I was willing to give anything a shot. THIS time though, I did my research before hand. Found My Fair Hunter and the Teamwork Podcast videos, and I finally started to understand what the game was. Then, just to make sure I was interested I picked up MHFU on my Vita. That was the quickest 10 hours I have ever sunk into a game :D

Decided to put down MHFU and wait until Ultimate, now I am (not so) patiently waiting with the rest of you.

L Thammy

Bestbuy.ca said:
Below you will find a list of the item(s) that are now en route to you!

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate (Nintendo Wii U)

Your order has been shipped by Ground by CanadaPost Ground.

:)

I'm just wondering, is every monster soloable since I'm getting this on the 3DS? It's quite sad that Capcom isn't even trying to add net play.

You can try all the online quests solo, but some of them might be too hard to actually complete. I don't think you can kill the online final boss solo.
I think there's only three online-exclusive monsters. I'm not completely sure.

Yeah, all the monsters you can take down yourself. And capcom is allowing online play for the 3DS version, but only if you have a Wii U.

Also, Great stories so far.

Elider

Oh, it was pretty simple...

I had heard a bit about Tri, as Nintendo had been heavily advertising it. I wasn't too interested, though; I had other games to play and this one just felt like another action adventure hack and slash what have you. Still, something about the sense of scale got to me; the game just... looked nice. Epic, even.

A couple of months later, I intended to use a gift card for an electronic store, not having any games to play at that moment. I was going to get New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which I had skipped. Sadly, the store didn't have it. They did have Monster Hunter Tri, however. I thought "well why not, it does look pretty nice", so I got it.

And next week I'll be getting 3U.

Lizardus

:)

You can try all the online quests solo, but some of them might be too hard to actually complete. I don't think you can kill the online final boss solo.
I think there's only three online-exclusive monsters. I'm not completely sure.

Damn, I ordered from Futureshop.ca. Should I have gone with BB?

My origin story:

I was browsing GameFAQs around the time the first MHF released for the PSP (back in 2006), and wondered why the board was so busy full of new topics and discussions. At the same time I was contemplating on buying a PSP, and so I bought one along with my very first PSP game: MHF.

At first I didn't understand the game's mechanics at all - a lot of things didn't make sense to me, and I questioned certain aspects of the game. The MH "vets" of the PS2 days shunned me and labeled me as a "noob". Still, I never gave up on the game and I'm glad I didn't. I got the hang of it, learned from the vets, and the series would then become my favorite gaming series of all time.

Pretty boring story: Lord_Grahf on GFAQs kept preaching Tri up, so I tried the demo. I told him that after 4 hours of playing, I wasn't sure if I liked it. He told me that if I could stand the game for 4 hours, I should get it, because I will like it. He was right, and I put over 500 hours into Tri.

A memorable event...when Ceadeus finally gave me the last thing I needed to complete his set after I killed him over 50 goddamn times. Sonofa...

Ah, Lord Grahf... t'was an elitist troll back in the day. Played with him on PS2 and on Frontier, and he's pretty cool. A really good player too.

Finally got round to downloading the demo and just killed the first monster. But man is the gamepad weird to use for this game after playing Tri for so long. Think I'll just stick with the CC Pro.

Also any fellow SNS users know which charm table would be best suited for the weapon? That charm table / weapons post that I've seen in this thread doesn't include all the weapons.

Finally got round to downloading the demo and just killed the first monster. But man is the gamepad weird to use for this game after playing Tri for so long. Think I'll just stick with the CC Pro.

Also any fellow SNS users know which charm table would be best suited for the weapon? That charm table / weapons post that I've seen in this thread doesn't include all the weapons.

Table 10 seems to be the best for Blademasters, with Evasion and Handicraft (Sharpness) charms. It also has the Edgemaster +3, Evasion +3 charm, which can get you "Stellar Hunter" and can help you get two skills in one: Sharpness +1 and Attack up Large.

Some other charms in Table 10 you might fancy:

Critical Draw +6 with 2 slots
Handicraft+ 5, Free Element 7

I said wow, a actually o_O

Pineconn

My story is simple. I'm notorious for buying my brother the latest and greatest Wii game for his birthday, so I bought him MHTri relatively blindly. Next Christmas, he got it for me since he loved it, lol. Best impulse buy ever.

L Thammy

I had heard that Monster Hunter was like Phantasy Star Online. I had heard of the series before and recognized the name, but didn't know anything about it.

My "origin story" isn't interesting, so I'll tell you someone else's.

I was hanging out with a friend of mine and brought the game along. Neither of us had work or class that day, so we had pretty much the entire day. He owns a Wii, but he's the type that tends to scoff at Wii games by virtue of being Wii games.

He was playing something or other on his 360 when I arrived. It was a game he liked, but he had gotten tired of playing it so much. On a whim, he decided to give Tri a try. Still dismissive of the Wii game, he decided to name his new character "TitsMcGee" - though space required him shorten it to "TitsMcGy".

After running around Moga Woods for a short while he told me that he now wished that he had picked a real name.

I had brought along my character and unlocked most of the Arena stuff, so we played splitscreen for a while. He figured out that he liked the lance. The highlight of the day for me was when we were fighting Royal Ludroth.

He had kittycarted, so I had was stuck alone with the monster for the moment. I had only a little nick of health left and it was coming right at me. Just before the attack hit, my health was restored and Ludroth died. In an instant, my friend had returned to the room, saved me with a Lifepowder, then killed the monster.

At a later date we cleared finished all the splitscreen stuff. He also started asking me about Frontier.

Ah, Lord Grahf... t'was an elitist troll back in the day. Played with him on PS2 and on Frontier, and he's pretty cool. A really good player too.
I never found him to be elitist, just refined. Then again, most people call me an elitist...

And for a story, I guess my best story is actually outside of the game. On GFAQs I made a thread called "Let me craft a set for you." I saw tons of topics where people could not figure out how to get the bonuses they wanted, and I was bored at work. I'm good at min/maxing, so why not help folks out?

Well, the thread was really popular:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943655-monster-hunter-tri/55252571
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943655-monster-hunter-tri/55499147

I became so familiar with the Tri armor sets that I could calculate them in my head because I hate all their bonuses memorized. Now I just remember what sets give which bonuses, but not how many. I'm looking forward to get into this again, but I'm not happy that I have to re-memorize all the possible Charm combinations.

Table 10 seems to be the best for Blademasters, with Evasion and Handicraft (Sharpness) charms. It also has the Edgemaster +3, Evasion +3 charm, which can get you "Stellar Hunter" and can help you get two skills in one: Sharpness +1 and Attack up Large.

Some other charms in Table 10 you might fancy:

Critical Draw +6 with 2 slots
Handicraft+ 5, Free Element 7

I said wow, a actually o_O

Hm, just had a look at 10, and on top of all the above, it has the two most important charms (for SnS):
+6 status (two slots)
and
+ 5 element (two slots)

Makes my table choice all the easier now, cheers :D

It's definitely going to be the most used (overused?) weapon in the game. That's mainly why I'm not going to use it...

[/hipster]

Damn it! I should have expected as much from the power, but... I just love it so much! After that is maybe Longsword then Switch Axe.

I think...they like to use dual swords? Unless their combos somehow have some tendency to way get in the way of other people a la Longsword spirit combos, I don't think there's going to be a bias against them or anything, if that's what you were worried about. I suppose my only concern would be if it's common for DS users to rush in too often and get their asses kicked because they don't pull out of their combos in time.

Either way, don't worry about GAF perception of your weapon choices, everything in the game is perfectly viable and has opportunities so mess with other players. Just be mindful when online that you're playing with a team and try to keep a bit of spatial awareness as far as where everyone's trying to target on the monster and it'll be fine.

Right! I can imagine I'll only get in the way, though...

Haunted

It's definitely going to be the most used (overused?) weapon in the game. That's mainly why I'm not going to use it...

[/hipster]
Do we have official usage statistics for the weapons or is that anecdotal?

I don't think Capcom's tracking that stuff...

chronosic

How did you guys get into the Monster Hunter franchise? And if you want: What are some memorable events that occurred in any game previously released?

2 of my buddies back in highschool convinced me to get the original for PS2 when it came out. We all got our copies, brought our ps2s and tvs to one of their basements and delved into it online mode together. Encountering my very first Yian Kut Ku, fighting it, learning it, and finally killing and carving it with my friends got me hooked on the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ28c3x6_kU

The Kokoto village theme is still the best village theme out of any monster hunter, and brings me back to my very first hunt.

Pineconn

Do we have official usage statistics for the weapons or is that anecdotal?

I don't think Capcom's tracking that stuff...

Nah, it's anecdotal. I've been following posts on GAF and FAQs, and it seems like a lot of people are going to main DB since they're badass in the demo. I just want to round out teams as much as possible, so I'll be going with weapons that are better at cutting tails, inflicting status, and smashing craniums.

I mean, if you want to go Dual Blades, go right ahead. :)

Codeblue

I got into MH via the TGS 2008 Trailer that I watched on a whim. It was almost equal parts what I saw and the music. I sat a friend down in front of my computer the next day and made him watch it and he thought it looked pretty cool. We sorta forgot about the game until the demo came out. We each grabbed one, went home and played it and both really loved what we saw.

We were absolutely terrible at it, fumbling around and failing to kill Great Jaggis with the armor and weapons provided. What really pushed me over was the Peco fight. On my third attempt at the bird he called out for help, but it wasn't a sound I had heard before. Nothing came so I didn't think much of it. Seconds later something comes barreling from the side of my screen like a freight train and sends me flying. It was a Rathian.

I had forgotten all about the trailer at this point so Rathian was a brand new thing to me. I just sort of stood there stunned. It looked absolutely menacing, from her face to her movement. The challenge the behemoth posed seemed insurmountable so I stood there too terrified to attack, but also too afraid to turn my back to it. I was overcome by this sense of dread that I hadn't felt in a game since I was a child. The next thing I knew it was game over due to a direct hit from a fire ball. At that point I was hooked and so was my friend.

We grabbed a bunch of demos and passed them out to other friends but all the feedback we got was "It's too hard" and "Why does it take so long to drink a potion". We might have gotten one to buy Ultimate but he won't be able to until summer and expressed concerns that we'd stop playing by them. We laughed.

Haunted

Nah, it's anecdotal. I've been following posts on GAF and FAQs, and it seems like a lot of people are going to main DB since they're badass in the demo. I just want to round out teams as much as possible, so I'll be going with weapons that are better at cutting tails, inflicting status, and smashing craniums.

I mean, if you want to go Dual Blades, go right ahead. :)
Longsword all day, every day.

anyone has a guide to controls?

I understand the gamepad for the most part but the L button short cut I don't understand that yet

do you always have a time limit? or is that a Demo thing?

I understand the gamepad for the most part but the L button short cut I don't understand that yet

"L button short cut"?
You mean running?

And the typical time limit for a quest is 50 minutes. It's uncommon for it to be any less.

chronosic

Longsword all day, every day.

I hear that. With starting a new game I've been trying to break out of my mold of long swording and hammering everything, I'm getting pretty good with the gunlance. The Great wroggi armour set and it's sharpness skill is working really nice with my gunlance, makes shelling not so killer on your weapon sharpness.

"L button short cut"?
You mean running?

And the typical time limit for a quest is 50 minutes. It's uncommon for it to be any less.

whatever that thing is on the lower right of the screen that has item like potions I was wondering if it is a short cut and what the buttons are instead of having to look at my gamepad to tap an item

wearing glasses that work for far away so the TV is clear with my glasses on but I have to remove them to see the gamepad so this is taking me off enjoying this due to my crap vision

If I understood what every button did

BooJoh

"L button short cut"?
You mean running?

If you mean Monster Look, when you get spotted by the large monster, tap the monster icon on the touchscreen (or tap ZR) to turn on Monster Look. Once you've toggled that on, you can tap the L button and the camera will recenter on the monster if you're in the same area as it. You can also double-tap L to recenter the camera behind you.

EDIT:
whatever that thing is on the lower right of the screen that has item like potions I was wondering if it is a short cut and what the buttons are instead of having to look at my gamepad to tap an item
Hold L and press Y or A to cycle through your items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom