• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No, my shit luck has transferred over from Lagi to Narga. I JUST WANT TO MAKE SOME DECENT ARMOR ; ;

Took tomorrow off so hopefully I get it farming tonight :)

Join the ranks of the Rhenoplos Army. Easy to make, good skills and you end up looking like a kettle. What's not to love.

rugioh

Banned
Only once; the quest where you can actually kill it is different from the one you absolutely have to do. You only have to do enough damage to it, as well as break his horn, in order to complete it. I did it in a little over 15 minutes, and they give you 35.

Do you have any tips on making it as simple as possible? I hear once he switches areas I should just go nuts with the ballista to get the horn off but if theres anything I can do to make it easy I'll stock up on supplies and go at him full force.

Chuckpebble

Yup. You can also mine Uragaan's back and catch bugs from Zinogre's back when they fall on their sides.

Do you get different items from mining Uragaan's back versus his underside. MHVuse had a RP guide where he used an OP SnS set to trip him and mine his belly for Lavaklumps netting 1500RP each.

Rize_21

I'm not G rank yet and I've only fought one sand barioth, but the usual Barioth tips should apply. Pitfall him early to break a wing and apply hammer to forehead to tire him out.

can you make g rank Narga stuff? Both Narga and Barioth have extremely fast moves with relatively small hitboxes that are easy to roll through with evade up and evade extender.
Sadly I haven't touched a hammer since MHF(I loved it to death back in the days,the Crystal Nova!).Both monsters appears in HR7 as key quests,the Narga has always been my favorite monster to face solo(with the duo quest in Unite),even though all his attacks has been nerfed damage wise now(he was more violent in Unite in my opinion)I didn't know about the Barioth's wings,I used to always take shock traps on me!for the other set,I have the full Narga X.(it has more talents than the one in Unite apparently,def should be around 523,I haven't use it atm,I'll definitely give a try,I miss the trap master talent that this armor had though)Thanks for the advices!

Hoodbury

Do you have any tips on making it as simple as possible? I hear once he switches areas I should just go nuts with the ballista to get the horn off but if theres anything I can do to make it easy I'll stock up on supplies and go at him full force.

It's not so bad if you go to HR online first then get a better weapon before you go back to offline to kill him.

demonkaze

So i've just unlocked G rank now and im a lance/gunlance user currently using the glacial agnaktor set, what armor set should i aim for next?

ace3skoot

could someone tell me how to make earplug jewel 2, as i don't have the item to make it appear on the list, and am unsure what i need!? help please.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
could someone tell me how to make earplug jewel 2, as i don't have the item to make it appear on the list, and am unsure what i need!? help please.

Guide sez... There is no Earplug Jewel 2, just two versions of 1, and 3.

Earplug Jewel 1
Sunspire Jewel x1, Rathian Webbing x1, Lagombi Ear x2

Earplug Jewel 1
Bloodrun Jewel x1, Fearsome Maw x2

Earplug Jewel 3
Lazurite Jewel x1, Zinogre Carapace x2, Uncanny Hide+ x2

ace3skoot

Guide sez... There is no Earplug Jewel 2, just two versions of 1, and 3.

Earplug Jewel 1
Sunspire Jewel x1, Rathian Webbing x1, Lagombi Ear x2

Earplug Jewel 1
Bloodrun Jewel x1, Fearsome Maw x2

Earplug Jewel 3
Lazurite Jewel x1, Zinogre Carapace x2, Uncanny Hide+ x2

thanks alot, guess i have never got an uncanny hide + is that from G-rank gigginox?

This might be an ignorant question, but is the 3DS cross play supported at this time?

I'm confused if the ability to transfer your character between the WiiU and 3DS is readily available or is requiring an update like the off TV play later this month.

I can't seem to find a straight answer in any of my searches.

Thanks guys.

Mupod

Sadly I haven't touched a hammer since MHF(I loved it to death back in the days,the Crystal Nova!).Both monsters appears in HR7 as key quests,the Narga has always been my favorite monster to face solo(with the duo quest in Unite),even though all his attacks has been nerfed damage wise now(he was more violent in Unite in my opinion)I didn't know about the Barioth's wings,I used to always take shock traps on me!for the other set,I have the full Narga X.(it has more talents than the one in Unite apparently,def should be around 523,I haven't use it atm,I'll definitely give a try,I miss the trap master talent that this armor had though)Thanks for the advices!

Yeah the reasoning for breaking a wing is that once it's busted, whenever he jumps he'll lose his grip on the sand/snow and take an extra second or so to recover. And he jumps ALL THE TIME so it's a huge amount of openings.

A hammer/HH is very effective on him because he loses his breath attacks when tired, as well as the fact that he spends half his time just standing around taunting.

Narga is one of those monsters that goes from 'huh, that was easy' to 'OH GOD' when he gets decent damage output. He's still fun, but his high rank version isn't very threatening. Looking forward to the Lucent version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
thanks alot, guess i have never got an uncanny hide + is that from G-rank gigginox?

Uncanny Hide+
Gigginox High Rank: Body Carves (7%)
Gigginox High Rank: Break Part - Head (12%)
Gigginox High Rank: Break Part - Breast (12%)
Gigginox High Rank: Break Part - Tail (22%)
Gigginox High Rank: Capture (17%)
Gigginox High Rank: Free Hunt (18%)
Gigginox G Rank: Break Part - Tail (8%) x2
Baleful Gigginox High Rank: Body Carves (7%)
Baleful Gigginox High Rank: Break Part - Head (12%)
Baleful Gigginox High Rank: Break Part - Breast (12%)
Baleful Gigginox High Rank: Break Part - Tail (22%)
Baleful Gigginox High Rank: Free Hunt* (20%)
Baleful Gigginox G Rank: Break Part - Tail (8%) x2

* Might be Capture instead.

Raide

With the Guild Card stuff, does that have to be done online when people are in the lobby or can you send them outside direct to their NNID? I want some Hunters for Hire . :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
With the Guild Card stuff, does that have to be done online when people are in the lobby or can you send them outside direct to their NNID? I want some Hunters for Hire . :p

I think they have to be in the lobby, but I'm not sure.

Ridley327

It's not so bad if you go to HR online first then get a better weapon before you go back to offline to kill him.

Yeah, that's the best advice that I can give, as well. Just bring a strong weapon and wail on his beard as much as you can in the tunnels, and then bring out the Dragonator and the ballistas in the second phase.

FaintDeftone

I'm thinking about picking the 3DS version up. I've never played a full MH game before but I've played demos and couldn't get into them, yet I feel starting from scratch on a full version may get me into it.

The 3DS version's price is a little easier to swallow and I own a circle pad pro too. Plus I have a $10 off Gamestop coupon. I may go for it today.

DaBoss

This might be an ignorant question, but is the 3DS cross play supported at this time?

I'm confused if the ability to transfer your character between the WiiU and 3DS is readily available or is requiring an update like the off TV play later this month.

Thanks guys.

Yes it is.

Hoodbury

Yeah, that's the best advice that I can give, as well. Just bring a strong weapon and wail on his beard as much as you can in the tunnels, and then bring out the Dragonator and the ballistas in the second phase.

Ya, and in case you guys struggling on this, if you missed it the argosy captain will trade ballista shots. So you can go into the fight with 10 of them without having to waste time on gathering.

When I passed that urgent I got lucky, I didn't realize breaking the horn was a requirement to pass the quest and with like 2 minutes left, cha cha or the other little guy ended up breaking it off. lol. I was just pounding on his body and beard over and over with triple charge GS hits.

Bear

Just fought the Barioth for the first time. I was expecting a much tougher fight given what I've heard, but didn't manage to do a whole lot of damage. Its attack patterns made it a little difficult to hit at first, but once I had those figured out it was pretty straightforward. I was expecting a long fight but it was over in about 15 minutes.

I did have a suitable weapon though, the speed and range of a LS definitely came in handy against him and the fire damage was a nice bonus.

tbhysgb

Thanks guys.

The transfer is readily available. You just have to download the app off the 3ds eshop. And one note. Once you transfer don't go into continue on the menu or else it'll mess up the save transfer. I have to delete my 3ds save now before I can re transfer so I havn't touched the 3ds version for a couple days.

Chuckpebble

I've seen it done only to people you're in the same lobby with, assuming its ported straight from how it works on the 3DS in this case. But I am curious if it's different on the WiiU at all. I'd also like to know if they update automatically, or if you have to keep meeting up to get the info updated. I currently have no guild cards.

tbhysgb

I'm thinking about picking the 3DS version up. I've never played a full MH game before but I've played demos and couldn't get into them, yet I feel starting from scratch on a full version may get me into it.

The 3DS version's price is a little easier to swallow and I own a circle pad pro too. Plus I have a $10 off Gamestop coupon. I may go for it today.
Do it, I have a feeling you won't regret it. Just go slow and don't feel overwhelmed that you don't know what the fuck is going on ;)

Mondriaan

I've seen it done only to people you're in the same lobby with, assuming its ported straight from how it works on the 3DS in this case. But I am curious if it's different on the WiiU at all. I'd also like to know if they update automatically, or if you have to keep meeting up to get the info updated. I currently have no guild cards.
Guild cards automatically update when you enter a tavern that has any of your guild card friends. It would be better if it automatically updated without having to visit them, but it's pretty much par for the course for the online component of Ultimate.

Thanks guys.

You can download the app right now from the 3DS store.

Search for "Monster Hunter"

Just soloed an online Agnaktor(and my first Agnaktor!) ^_^

No healing items or cool drinks left and on my last life, killed him with less than half health left and draining. Felt good. It felt right.

Porcile

Put in about 7 hours (first Monster Hunter) and I'm slowly getting into the swing of things. I feel like I need to dedicate some time to a serious play session though. I'm not really making any progress in regards to upgrading my weapons and so on. I'm mostly just coasting by on easy quests and getting resources in the woods. Have defeated a couple of those Giant Jaggi's though.

Do the Moga Woods slowly become populated with other monsters as you progress through the game? Or is it somewhere you eventually stop going in favour of doing actual quests for items?

Alrus

I killed over 25 sharqs and didn't get a single Sharqskin :( This is getting really annoying... I don't care about raw meats and sharpened fangs...

Hoodbury

I killed over 25 sharqs and didn't get a single Sharqskin :( This is getting really annoying... I don't care about raw meats and sharpened fangs...

When you say 'killed' do you mean kill or do you mean harpoon them so you can carve? If you harpooned 25 of them and no sharqskin, then dang sorry man. Did you check to see if cha cha or kam have any?

Alrus

When you say 'killed' do you mean kill or do you mean harpoon them so you can carve? If you harpooned 25 of them and no sharqskin, then dang sorry man. Did you check to see if cha cha or kam have any?

Yeah I know about harpooning them :) And I had the same issue with the original Tri, getting a single Sharqskin for the ancient mask has always been a painful experience... (And yeah checked Cha Cha and Kam, they harvested sharpened fangs too...)

Kyzon

Thanks guys.

Yes, you can download the transfer app on the 3DS eshop and then transfer through that. It's a simple procedure taking about 2-3 minutes.

Rize_21

So i've just unlocked G rank now and im a lance/gunlance user currently using the glacial agnaktor set, what armor set should i aim for next?
Ceadeus(Helios/Selene) Z .Earplugs is great for releasing the wyvern fire while the monsters roar,sharpness +1 is totally sweet with your Dios Gunlance(you have that one too,right?:)),and it adds more water damage too,which is great if you're planning to do the Plesioth gunlance to take down the G Bracchydios.The quest is all but funny to do(it takes 15 minutes on average x your luck),but it's worth it,you'll forget every other armors you had before it.Even more if you are a Lance/Gunlance user.

Bisonian

Do the Moga Woods slowly become populated with other monsters as you progress through the game? Or is it somewhere you eventually stop going in favour of doing actual quests for items?

Yes, more and bigger enemies start showing up as you clear offline quests. Not all of them, but a few of the bigger ones (Rathian, Lagiacrus, etc.) Generally though, I only go into the free mode of the Moga Island area when I need to farm resources or trade commodities for the Argosy Captain.

Blitzhex

If a monster is not weak to an element, fire for example, will the fire dmg portion from a fire sword still do some dmg to the monster or none at all?

Put in about 7 hours (first Monster Hunter) and I'm slowly getting into the swing of things. I feel like I need to dedicate some time to a serious play session though. I'm not really making any progress in regards to upgrading my weapons and so on. I'm mostly just coasting by on easy quests and getting resources in the woods. Have defeated a couple of those Giant Jaggi's though.

As you progress through the single player quests the monsters that you defeat will start to be become visitors to the woods. At least that how it's been for me so far and I think I'm at about 20 hours although more than half of that has been online.

As some who loves Lance but has never played gunlance, can someone explain to me the differences and the pros and cons? Why would you pick one over the other, they seem so similar ignoring wyvern fire. I understand that wyvern fire is a huge burst of damage exchange for lots of sharpness, anything I'm missing?

Raide

If a monster is not weak to an element, fire for example, will the fire dmg portion from a fire sword still do some dmg to the monster or none at all?

Each weapon has a raw damage and then an elemental portion if it has elemental damage. If they are immune to fire, then you will still do raw damage but any fire element weapons or boosts will pretty much be useless.

Ceadeus(Helios/Selene) Z .

It looks to me like Helios/Selene X is actually better than Z if you take the time to slot in handicraft. Plus you have the option of getting a good tali and having fencing as well.

Just seems like a nightmare to craft. Deep dragon and 2 earthdragon gems on top of two lagia sapphires? Eech.

As some who loves Lance but has never played gunlance, can someone explain to me the differences and the pros and cons? Why would you pick one over the other, they seem so similar ignoring wyvern fire. I understand that wyvern fire is a huge burst of damage exchange for lots of sharpness, anything I'm missing?

lances have great pokes with the triple stab, sidestep and repeat. The gunlance lacks the charge across move lances have but have better burst damage and can use gunshots if your stuff bounces. The go to combo for gunlances is stab stab gunshot stab stab gunshot stab stab gunshot (or third stab). Gunshots also feel more distributive than stabs from the lance too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom