• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

persongr

here's what I did:

upgrade low rank barioth, and it got me through most of hr3. Did high rank rathalos, got a bunch of plates, so I made a fully upgraded (LR)armor gemmed to attack(L). That got me through hr4, and now I'm rockin' a sweet rhopessa armor with bitchin HG earplugs, which should last me until I can get some rare mats for the vangis armor. (first timer by the way lol)

nah make wroggi S gear, its really easy to make, has good skills and you look like cowboy...

High Rank Rathian is pretty easy to get and grants more HP and solid defense stats.

Thanks guys, I'll do a bit of research based on what you said, and see then what to do. (Although i think i will both upgared my diablos armour and forge a wroggi s set)

Morokh

What exactly am I supposed to do in the Repel Ceadeus quest ?

He reaches the entrance of the third place on the map, and the quest fails ....

wsippel

Banned
Any armor advices for a light Bowgun player, against Dire Miralis ? Because, well, I can't go and face it with my Gigginox Armor (-25 Fire Resistance), and Status are useless against it.
Nibelsnarf seems like a good bet. Speed Eating +2 and Speed Sheathe, and 20 fire resistance.

You need to hit him enough before he enters the last zone. Focus on the beard. He's weakest against dragon, though there aren't all that many low rank weapons that deal dragon damage.

persongr

Hit his "beard" until he starts swimming fast, then he will break the entrance and you will actually fight him in area 3.

Fistwell

Can Heavybowguns cut of tails ?
Do you need to use a certain ammo ?
Slicing ammo afaik.

If any Euro-GAF wants to tackle event quests, hit me up.

Edit: so doing the new event, I noticed the brachy had LOTS more health than the first monster I had killed. And then.... I killed the third, and it was like "GJ bra, only 1 left," and I was like "uuuuuuuuuuhhhhh DEEEERRRRP."

Eh... sinister saints? I think I'll pass.

So what are canteen quests? Why are they different from normal quests?

Each of the canteen quests will improve one of the ingredients you have available when eating at the canteen. Better ingredients mean more health at a quest, or better attack, depending on which ingredients you end up mixing.

Filth

So got a moonstone last night and maxed out my lance to its rare 10 stats. Have so much purple slice is a godsend. I'm looking to get awaken. Can any1 Reccomend g level armor that has it.

Emitan

Each of the canteen quests will improve one of the ingredients you have available when eating at the canteen. Better ingredients mean more health at a quest, or better attack, depending on which ingredients you end up mixing.

Oh nice. I need to upgrade meat since it's only at 1 star.

ryz

Just beat Ceadeus. I've read a lot about his "health carrying over", "fighting him a second time" and stuff? I've just fought him once and can now fight Purple Ludroth (Urgent Quest) but i'm worried that i have done something wrong/missed something in the Ceadeus fight?

Oh nice. I need to upgrade meat since it's only at 1 star.

I think each canteen quest improves one specific ingredient respectively, so you can't really decide which you want to improve. Just do them all, eventually meat will be upgraded.

Also you can upgrade some ingredients by doing the villager stuff for Junior.

Kyzon

So got a moonstone last night and maxed out my lance to its rare 10 stats. Have so much purple slice is a godsend. I'm looking to get awaken. Can any1 Reccomend g level armor that has it.

Chakra armor and gem it in? Idk I've been trying to find an excuse to run around naked in that armor since I made it yesterday, lol. Each piece though has 3 slots.

Just beat Ceadeus. I've read a lot about his "health carrying over", "fighting him a second time" and stuff? I've just fought him once and can now fight Purple Ludroth (Urgent Quest) but i'm worried that i have done something wrong/missed something in the Ceadeus fight?

First time you simply have to repel him as far as I know. If you do the quest for a second time, you have to repel/kill. Now if you do not manage to kill him right away the second time you do the quest, you can simply go again, and the health should stay the same.

That's how I understood it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Any Lagiacrus tips? I managed him fine in the village quest but the guild one is kicking my ass. He goes info this crazy rage mode with steam coming out his nose and that's usually when he completely destroys me. he's much more forgiving on land but its so hard when he just insists on staying in the water.

Getting very frustrated! I'm a hammer user, using plume flint with Barroth armor.

Do you have to deal X amount of damage using Slicing Shot to cut tails? Or can you just cripple the tail so much so that one slicing shot will cut it?

Similarly, what about bows? Can you just cripple the tail with regular attacks then maybe melee it once? Not sure if Close-Range Coating counts as cutting.

If you fail the quest, his health carries over. I think he keeps up to a minimum amount of health so you can't just drop him to 1HP, intentionally fail then kill him with one kick.

Mileena

Banned
Am I the only one that LOVES the Switch Axe? I've tried out every one of the "big" weapons, and it's the only one that satisfies me enough with its speed and range.

I just picked it up yesterday when we were doing Smiles HR1 quests and really liked it. Been cutting off tails like a boss finally :)

I love the Nargacuga armour I just made, I look like a ninja gigolo, but the evasion is amazing.

I love it too, it seems to be the Dark Wood Grain Ring of this game.

Ultratech

Fuck you and your tail, Pink Rathian

You flamboyant sonofabitch

I remember hearing about that attack and the first time I saw it, I made a concentrated effort not to be below Pinkie if she's about to fly up.

Almost never been hit by it either. Funny enough, I fought Azure Los so much, it threw me off trying to fight regular Rathalos. (Pretty bad, I know?)

I just picked it up yesterday when we were doing Smiles HR1 quests and really liked it. Been cutting off tails like a boss finally :)

Yeah, that's part of why I decided to main SA this time around. For Tri and P3rd, I stuck mostly to SnS and Bows.

Very useful on those monsters that have stupidly hard hides or tails. (I'm looking at you Azure.)

is there a food guide anywhere would love to know what all the combos do

ryz

Holy Fuck. I've just killed Purple Ludroth. This shit was intense, high rank really IS high rank. I've barely managed to survive. I'm STILL wearing the Jaggi Armor since low rank. :D But the Rimeblade (LS) really pays off. Any advice for high rank armor or generally what armor i should aim for now?

First time you simply have to repel him as far as I know. If you do the quest for a second time, you have to repel/kill. Now if you do not manage to kill him right away the second time you do the quest, you can simply go again, and the health should stay the same.

That's how I understood it.

Thanks!

I'm so lucky! One of the two skills I want the most is gathering, and I found a charm that gives Gathering +10 and +4 to some other crap while I was farming Pink Rathian! High Rank is the first time I've felt compelled to grind, everything looks so cool!

Also, it's bullshit that there are items you can only get from multiplayer. I want Blossom Crickets :-(

Wow! HR Rathian took exactly 40 minutes. No way I'm going to beat Pinky with this gear :(

I was able to beat Pinky with my low rank gear as my first high rank quest, and I don't even have a set of anything, just random crap that I built as I went. You just have to know how to run in and out to deal consistent damage, and avoid the backflip at all costs. Hell, I use fluffy mask so it even takes me longer than normal.

Mileena

Banned
Holy Fuck. I've just killed Purple Ludroth. This shit was intense, high rank really IS high rank. I've barely managed to survive. I'm STILL wearing the Jaggi Armor since low rank. :D But the Rimeblade (LS) really pays off. Any advice for high rank armor or generally what armor i should aim for now?

Maybe Rathalos armor?

Am I the only one that LOVES the Switch Axe? I've tried out every one of the "big" weapons, and it's the only one that satisfies me enough with its speed and range.

I agree! First time playing an MH game, I initially really liked Long Swords but Switch Axe feels so great when stuff goes pear shaped. Sword Mode is my "FuckfuckFUCK" panic button.

Picked up a Wii U just for this the other day, having never played an MH game or really done much research beyond "this is a very famous franchise which I have never played and supposedly this will be the best version to date". At the risk of repeating hundreds of previous posts, oh my, the graphics. I thought this would be a completely redone version of the game but it's basically a barely up-ressed PSP title. The aliasing/sampling artifacts, animation jitter, and peter-panning of their shadow map bias scale/offset, oof. I usually don't care about render quality but in this case I had set unrealistic expectations unwittingly.

That said, still excited about learning the franchise, mechanics, grind loop, etc. Have only played for an hour or so but gonna start seriously tonight. I pity whatever areas of my brain are going to get crammed out learning all this...

Koroviev

Picked up a Wii U just for this the other day, having never played an MH game or really done much research beyond "this is a very famous franchise which I have never played and supposedly this will be the best version to date". At the risk of repeating hundreds of previous posts, oh my, the graphics. I thought this would be a completely redone version of the game but it's basically a barely up-ressed PSP title. The aliasing/sampling artifacts, animation jitter, and peter-panning of their shadow map bias scale/offset, oof. I usually don't care about render quality but in this case I had set unrealistic expectations unwittingly.

That said, still excited about learning the franchise, mechanics, grind loop, etc. Have only played for an hour or so but gonna start seriously tonight. I pity whatever areas of my brain are going to get crammed out learning all this...

I think the game is actually quite nice looking. The worst part is Moga due to the aliasing and the fact that character models are rather poor. However, the game looks great where it counts. Monsters are varied and detailed, as are the environments. I'm more concerned with the fact that the game doesn't run st 60 fps, but I put up with it for Demon's Souls running @720p, so...

Edit: And while I like the integration of the game pad, especially being able to plug headphones into it, wow, the gamepad has awful battery life. Is there an accessory I can use to improve it, or do you guys just switch to a pro controller?

just transfered from my Wii U to small 3DS :)

my god my eyes suck this is painful to squint at no wonder I know know more about monster hunter than I do about Pokemon I'll blame my vision problems but I really want big screen experiences now

going to try and see if I can fight any monsters at all on 3DS before I transfer back

Garou

Let me just say this:
When you play online in a group of 4 against Deviljho and one of your mates is pinned in a corner with low health and you bail him out with a flash bomb and get a thank you for it: Priceless!

chrono01

Edit: And while I like the integration of the game pad, especially being able to plug headphones into it, wow, the gamepad has awful battery life. Is there an accessory I can use to improve it, or do you guys just switch to a pro controller?

I just play with the Game Pad plugged in. Thankfully, I'm near an outlet, so that isn't an issue.

Given how addictive the game is, when not charging/plugged in, the battery vanishes in [what seems] like an instant.

is it me or does the world look much bigger on 3DS? each area looks huge maybe because the hunter is so tiny also this cat has menu options I did not see on Wii U

Disguises

Let me just say this:
When you play online in a group of 4 against Deviljho and one of your mates is pinned in a corner with low health and you bail him out with a flash bomb and get a thank you for it: Priceless!
Or alternatively - when someone joins your game, demands to "PLZ HALP ME DEVILJOE" then proceeds to die 2 of the 3 times resulting in failing the quest without a "sorry guys" before leaving the room: RAGE!

But seriously, that doesn't happen too often and 99% of the games I have are some of the most enjoyable game experiences of my life.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52895181]I was able to beat Pinky with my low rank gear as my first high rank quest, and I don't even have a set of anything, just random crap that I built as I went. You just have to know how to run in and out to deal consistent damage, and avoid the backflip at all costs. Hell, I use fluffy mask so it even takes me longer than normal.[/QUOTE]

Fought it again using the Long Sword from the trader guy and I bodied it. Got caught by the tail a few times but overall it isn't difficult to avoid

I'm so bad with hammer

NeoRausch

oh jeez! my 3DS XL finally came back from repair!!

and i had the "holy shite!!! DAT SCREEN IS HUUUUGE!!!"- Feeling again after 2 weeks of using my wifes 3DS.
Can't wait to play MonHun on this huge fucker finally.

first thing I've downloaded was the transfer app.

Hattori

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52904193]Fuuuuck multiplayer only items ;_;

BLOSSOM CRICKET :-([/QUOTE]

Don't forget butterfly beetles :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom