• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

also

Banned
Yay, finally completed Mark of the Hero on 3DS. It's too bad you can't take screenshots on 3DS because I really wanted to commemorate my victory. Oh well, at least I got a Lagia Sapphire out of it.
When I first tried that quest I thought it was impossible. With my Plesioth Set (+Uragaan Faulds), which combined with the Dios+ swax easily carried me through all of the village HR, I got killed in two attacks. I stocked up on items and eventually managed to beat the first monster but I was not prepared for what was to come. I was so stunned at what the game expected me to fight that I died within a minute.
I then thought about giving up on using swax and maining great sword since the hit and run tactic seemed super appropriate for the quest. I even farmed Jhen and forged its armor (critical eye+3, focus, defense up L) because it seemed perfect for great sword but in the end I stuck with my trusty swax and prevailed.

If anyone is interested in my strategy.
I equipped the Shakalaka kids with maxed out Pitfall and Rathalos masks (quick recovery, slime attack).
My pouch contained:
-potion, mega potion, max potion, ancient potion, herb, dash juice, mega dash juice (you will definitely need this because you will have run a lot), mega nutrients, antidote
-mega demon drug, might seed, might pill
-barrel bomb L+, barrel bomb L, barrel bomb S+
-shock trap, pitfall trap, tranq bomb
-powercharm, powertalon, armorcharm, armortalon
-farcaster, whetstone

I ate vegetables + grains which gave me health +50 and Def Up (M). If you are lucky you should try to get Felyne defense (high).

I used the dash juice to be able to keep my stamina bar full, buffed my attack and then basically employed a hit and run tactic, while hoping for slime explosions and knock overs. I used the pitfall mask almost at the start so that it would be recharged for the second phase. It's important to note that when Lagi gets tired it can't use it's electric discharge, so you can get a lot of free hits if it tries to use it. Eventually I captured it.
For the second phase, where
you have to simultaneously fight Brcahydios and Azure Rathalos (both also deal G rank damage but have lower health than usual, while Ivory Lagiacrus has more HP), I first focused on Rathalos. I ran around a lot and I tried to position myself so that the monsters would damage each other. This is especially effective when Brachydios is enraged because he jumps all over the place and his attacks are really powerful. Jhen's armor also has +15 fire resistance so you can take a fireball or two. Rathalos also seemed to get tired faster.

Now I'm kind of worried about the last village quest since Jhen's Armor has -20 dragon and I don't want to farm for another HR armor which will be useless when I tackle G rank.

Mupod

God dammit people tell me I need to go drive someone here so I leave the GAF room, and yell at me as I'm on the way out the driveway that I don't need to.

Also there's no shame in hiding back at camp if you've carted twice because your gear is low rank and people are forcing you to do high rank stuff. Okay, there's shame, but at least you'll get loot.

sorry about that last one Mileena thanks for helping me get to HR3

I was useless in the last one, funny how everyone has something else they wanted to do after I carted the 3rd time... I'll go learn and gear up so I don't stink it up :)

I was being yelled at to go get my cousin the entire time we were on Duramboros, it was a coincidence I swear.

God dammit people tell me I need to go drive someone here so I leave the GAF room, and yell at me as I'm on the way out the driveway that I don't need to.

Also there's no shame in hiding back at camp if you've carted twice because your gear is low rank and people are forcing you to do high rank stuff. Okay, there's shame, but at least you'll get loot.

I was being yelled at to go get my cousin the entire time we were on Duramboros, it was a coincidence I swear.

ah I swear I did not know if I carted a 3rd time it was game over for everyone I really did not know that part of it never came up at all

thanks for helping me out today at least now I know to hang back even more

I was trying to play very defensive the 3rd time but serious those death were dude landed on me out of no where the 2nd time I was shocked by that I was no where near him at the time lol

Kuntz

Did a lot of high rank hunting with gaffers, you guys rock !
Went as far as unlocking hr5 urgent, and killed my first joe, that was epic.
I'll be there tomorrow for more efficient gunning (with hopefully a good status gun/armor).

Okay, need assist.
Trying my best to get into this game. downloaded the 3ds demo and I just can't lock onto the monsters. I see a lock-on button, but it seems to do nothing. Activates when the boss monster is around, but I don't see it actually locking onto an enemy.

Also, am i doing something wrong? picked the sword and shield type. Hack, hacking away at this first boss (easy mode/demo), and it won't die. He's getting slower, limping, but he just refuses to die. I hack at this guy until my time runs out.

Between fighting with the camera and hacking at this thing, my excitement just keeps dwindling. It's kind of similar to how I can't get into Dragon's Dogma but I love Dark Souls. I hack at the enemies in that game similarly. The camera doesn't lock so I'm trying my best to fight the tech to stay into the game.

What the heck am I doing wrong??

Learning the hard way, just like everyone starting Monster Hunter ^^

Cool! I hope we'll play together tomorrow then!

lol yeah it sucked because I have been playing with double blades and love getting up close and personal as the weapon demands but it sure does not work on everything I better go and learn to shoot some bows from far away

here I was hardly ever carted with these guys but as soon as I finished H2's Urgent we go into something strange to me

first thing I noticed when I got into the quest is I was dropped in water without a map that is back at the start point that was very different what was that but I went on anyway trying to keep up

glad to know the game is not a cake walk though I was kinda questioning how I survived that long and even did well enough to see parts come flying off monsters but that was a nice welcome to HR3

L Thammy

Hold the phone, there's hunter for hire exclusive items? How do you even get those on the Wii U?

How do I set the brightness on the Gamepad?

also

Banned
Okay, need assist.
Trying my best to get into this game. downloaded the 3ds demo and I just can't lock onto the monsters. I see a lock-on button, but it seems to do nothing. Activates when the boss monster is around, but I don't see it actually locking onto an enemy.

Also, am i doing something wrong? picked the sword and shield type. Hack, hacking away at this first boss (easy mode/demo), and it won't die. He's getting slower, limping, but he just refuses to die. I hack at this guy until my time runs out.

Between fighting with the camera and hacking at this thing, my excitement just keeps dwindling. It's kind of similar to how I can't get into Dragon's Dogma but I love Dark Souls. I hack at the enemies in that game similarly. The camera doesn't lock so I'm trying my best to fight the tech to stay into the game.

What the heck am I doing wrong??

When you spot a big monster, the lock-on button will change from a question mark to the monster's icon. Tap it to activate the lock on. From then on press L once for the camera to focus on the monster, pres L twice to position the camera behind your back.
IIRC, sword and shield are kind of weak (but really mobile) as far as raw damage goes and they focus on status effects. Try using the dual blades or long sword which are also quite mobile but stronger (no blocking though). Personally, I'm more a fan of the ''heavier and powerful weapons'' (switch axe, great sword, hammer) that make every hit count.

L Thammy

In addition to what Atmej said, make sure you use your items.

You can lay a trap and lure a monster into it, then drop bombs to quickly deal a lot of damage. L is the big damage, S is the detonator, so drop L first and then S nearby.

Flash bombs daze a monster; try to throw it so they can see the flash.

demonkaze

I'll be there tomorrow for more efficient gunning (with hopefully a good status gun/armor).

Happy to help Kuntz (Astraer here), was fun. Sorry I had to jet, had some things to sort out.

Yeah were some fun hunts! Za Warudo here btw ;)

When you spot a big monster, the lock-on button will change from a question mark to the monster's icon. Tap it to activate the lock on. From then on press L once for the camera to focus on the monster, pres L twice to position the camera behind your back.
IIRC, sword and shield are kind of weak (but really mobile) as far as raw damage goes and they focus on status effects. Try using the dual blades or long sword which are also quite mobile but stronger (no blocking though). Personally, I'm more a fan of the ''heavier and powerful weapons'' (switch axe, great sword, hammer) that make every hit count.

Thanks! Will try that. Ditto for the weapon class switch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man Barroth was a great fight. I'm so used to being able to smash guys in the face so it came as a bit of a shock when it didn't work. Oh man it really was a great fight. I'll admit I cried bullshit on a lot of the other 3-star fights as I was doing them but Barroth made all those fights worth it. Now, it is time to farm him for claws and shells so I can upgrade my axe again.

Monster Bone L is such a god damn bitch to get. I must have killed Barroth ten times by now, and I need like four of the Monster Bones. I have one. Awesome.

Why not fight Rathian instead? But I know your feeling, fought three B. Gigginox, still have at least one or two to go. But dammit, I want that Rumbalarum.

I'm still on the three star quests. Maybe I'll clear the urgent quest and fight Rathian if he's a four star quest boss.

Dragoshi1

Aced the low rank Village quests, all done.

Ready to do a High rank village quest, hunting the Crimson Qurupeco.

45 minutes later...

THIS is High Rank. I am not worthy.

Anyway, killed the Red Peco, but dang, this was intense, but only because it kept summoning Jho, AND healing itself while I dodged Jho, Wroggis, and Ludroths. Died twice because Peco suddenly decides to give Jho an Attack Boost.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was farming him today, took ages to get his tail!

Oh man the tail comes off? Now I won't be able to rest until I cut it off. Shit, half my attacks were on his tail and it never came off. Going to watch Jurassic Park in 3D to get hyped for more hunting. So I'll do it after.

Chaos

Oh man the tail comes off? Now I won't be able to rest until I cut it off. Shit, half my attacks were on his tail and it never came off.

I use a heavybowgun and couldnt get it to come off even with the slice ammo, but I got it as a reward for capturing him.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52929366]I like Jho because he looks like a T-Rex. I don't like the monsters that don't look like anything. Except Khezu <3[/QUOTE]
Amusingly enough, my wife and I went to see Jurassic Park 3D today (her favorite movie), and I told her that Jho is like the T-Rex of MH.

ryz

Fuck yes! Just crafted my Lagiacrus armor set. Looks awesome. Was the skill Razor Sharp from MH3 changed to Tenderizer in MH3U?

Mupod

Pray to the Desire Sensor.

Bless and guide this hunter as he seeks out a Rathalos Mantle.

I've been saying for ages that I have no interest in Brachydios stuff and of course the first time I kill a G-rank Brachy I immediately carve a Pallium.

Meanwhile, I've only ever seen one Rathalos Plate and I need...well, I long ago gave up on the gear I needed it for but I still need one for the Rathalos Mask.

Just made the nulberry mask!

Now with that on cha-cha and my fluffy mask on kayamba I should be getting tons of extra carves! Especially with both set to gatherer for their ability ^_^

ryz

My Lagi armor has the "Status" skill penalty, which also affects my Tranq Bombs (need three now instead of two to cap monsters). The internet says there's an "Disabler Jewel" which gives +1 to Status. Can't find it ingame. Do i have to unlock it?

no

Well, Razor Sharp is still in the game but they did change the skills on sets.

okay, thanks.

Really like my new Agnaktor S armor. Also, switching between dual blades and hammer is really fun. Two completely different styles of play.

Mupod

you HH guys prefer KO or maestro?

maestro is an absolute must.

KO isn't that big of a boost, it's like 10%? Think of it this way: do you think 10% will make the difference between you KOing a monster 1-2 or 2-3 times per fight?

also: ffffuuuuck I just made the glacial kazoo (J.Barroth horn) assuming that Frost Groaner would have attack up large, BUT NO it just has 3 different ways to play attack up small. What. Good thing I didn't save.

RobbieNick

Woot! Defeated Lagiacrus! That was tough.

Chief's son: "Do you like making money? Sure, we all do!" Had to laugh at that. I grew up when that commercial was on the air all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom