• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineconn

Longsword all day, every day.

Eh. They were prone to be noobish in Tri, but now it takes some skill to get decent spirit combos. (I guess that won't stop the noobs from using it, though...) I can't say I ever liked using the LS, except against Ceadeus.

I still expect Dual Blades to be the most used thanks to quick attacks, flashy effects, and element/status combinations.

Fistwell

I hope they have the sensibility to not sensor "after" and "pine." The latter applies to me because I got tired of being referred to as ****, lol.
Yeah well that's French slang for penis, you mister penis you.

So yeah... What's your origin story?
Played the first one on PS2, couldn't get into it what with the 2nd stick used for attacks and, erhm, 'clunky' moves.

Got a PSP years later, a thread by Lord Error convinced me to give Freedom 2 a try. Went something like this,

1. Pick dual blades cause dual wielding kicks ass woo!
  2. Get destroyed by Bullfango,
  3. Figure out I need to dodge his charge, remember to: "always attack the ass,"
  4. Die against KutKu because I didn't know I had to stop attacking now and then,
  5. Repeat Step 4 ten times,
  6. Learn patterns, start dodging, beat KutKu,
  7. Time out on pink farty ape cause my shitty dual blades don't deal enough damage,
  8. Repeat Step 7 ten times,
  9. Bitch about it online,
  10. Switch to LS, proceed to haul ass,
  11. Get destroyed by Khezu,
  12. Repeat step 11 about 50 bajillion times, learn his patterns inside the fuck out, try all weapons, figure out elemental weaknesses, upgrade armor out the ass,
  13. Finally beat Khezu, proceed to next wall.

Nah, it's anecdotal. I've been following posts on GAF and FAQs, and it seems like a lot of people are going to main DB since they're badass in the demo. I just want to round out teams as much as possible, so I'll be going with weapons that are better at cutting tails, inflicting status, and smashing craniums.

I mean, if you want to go Dual Blades, go right ahead. :)

Lots of people are going to use DBs and name their character Kirito.

Haunted

I hear that. With starting a new game I've been trying to break out of my mold of long swording and hammering everything, I'm getting pretty good with the gunlance. The Great wroggi armour set and it's sharpness skill is working really nice with my gunlance, makes shelling not so killer on your weapon sharpness.
I've dabbled a bit with the lance in previous games as well as the smaller blades.

Thinking I might play some more with the gunlance in this one, it seemed more mobile than the lance to me.

But you're right, a new game is a good moment to try out new things. I'm sure I'll end up gravitating towards my favourite weapons soon enough anyway. :p

I started the game with GS, then moved onto LS, SA, and SnS. I didnt really stray from those, beside having a Lance that I never used. With Ultimate I'm going to look into adding HH to that collection, it's great. And GL too.
I may play around more with Lance since I gave it a shot in the demo and it was pretty fun to fight with.

my first win was with Dual Blades :(

plus I wanted a girl hunter so the demo skewed my prefs

Dont feel bad about that. Pick what you like and feel comfortable with. But get familiar with more weapons, there are pros and cons to them all.
Duel Blades are just more accessible to a lot of players.

Haunted

Eh. They were prone to be noobish in Tri, but now it takes some skill to get decent spirit combos. (I guess that won't stop the noobs from using it, though...) I can't say I ever liked using the LS, except against Ceadeus.

I still expect Dual Blades to be the most used thanks to quick attacks, flashy effects, and element/status combinations.
Really? What did they change about the way the LS combos? From the couple times I've played with it in the demo, you connect with the final hit and it moves the charge up one level, like usual.

And at the end of the day, casual players will naturally go to the weapons that look the coolest. As soon as you get to the higher tiers online, the weapon classes widen because at least some skill is required to make it there and people are more aware of the options.

Can someone provide me some links with weapons, armors and their skills? And images if it's possible.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:MH3U

Bookmark it. :D

chronosic

I started the game with GS, then moved onto LS, SA, and SnS. I didnt really stray from those, beside having a Lance that I never used. With Ultimate I'm going to look into adding HH to that collection, it's great. And GL too.
I may play around more with Lance since I gave it a shot in the demo and it was pretty fun to fight with.

I've been watching my room mate use the hunting horn, and it's realllly good, it's kind of like a hammer great sword . It's going to shine in multiplayer.

chronosic

Really? What did they change about the way the LS combos?

And at the end of the day, casual players will naturally go to the weapons that look the coolest. As soon as you get to the higher tiers online, the weapon classes widen because at least some skill is required to make it there and people are more aware of the options.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:MH3U

Bookmark it. :D

The spirit meter constantly drains in this one so you have to get a lot of hits in to keep it consistently charged.

Neo C.

I just realized it's only four days until I get my copy (Europe here). I need a plan to squeeze out as much time as possible out of my already super busy schedules. D:

Haunted

http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Armor+Skills

Also, if people go for the coolest looking weapons then they'd go for Greatswords, but then people realize they're way too slow :p
True story, I made some greatswords only to walk around with them because they look cool. Dat Viking Hornsword.

The spirit meter constantly drains in this one so you have to get a lot of hits in to keep it consistently charged.
But it drops colors progressively instead of dropping empty right away.
Seems like a fair trade-off.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Yeah well that's French slang for penis, you mister penis you.

Played the first one on PS2, couldn't get into it what with the 2nd stick used for attacks and, erhm, 'clunky' moves.

Got a PSP years later, a thread by Lord Error convinced me to give Freedom 2 a try. Went something like this,

1. Pick dual blades cause dual wielding kicks ass woo!
  2. Get destroyed by Bullfango,
  3. Figure out I need to dodge his charge, remember to: "always attack the ass,"
  4. Die against KutKu because I didn't know I had to stop attacking now and then,
  5. Repeat Step 4 ten times,
  6. Learn patterns, start dodging, beat KutKu,
  7. Time out on pink farty ape cause my shitty dual blades don't deal enough damage,
  8. Repeat Step 7 ten times,
  9. Bitch about it online,
  10. Switch to LS, proceed to haul ass,
  11. Get destroyed by Khezu,
  12. Repeat step 11 about 50 bajillion times, learn his patterns inside the fuck out, try all weapons, figure out elemental weaknesses, upgrade armor out the ass,
  13. Finally beat Khezu, proceed to next wall.
bringing the right items/components make things so much easier. traps, buffs, bombs ect.

Has anyone here ever encountered any sort of trolling in-game online in previous MH games? I haven't encountered any personally, but with the tools the game can give to a player - I thought there would be some griefers. Actually, it's silly of me to even think that. The MH community has been pretty awesome for me, but just wanted to see if anyone experienced such things.

Haunted

Has anyone here ever encountered any sort of trolling in-game online in previous MH games? I haven't encountered any personally, but with the tools the game can give to a player - I thought there would be some griefers.
Not really, no. Sure, you have some guys who take all the supplies they can from the chest at the start, and others who just play as if they're soloing - not taking care to not hit others, running headlong into monster attacks and losing lives quickly - but those can also all be attributed to a player being new, inexperienced or unskilled.

Some real trolling/griefing would be actively trying to make everyone else fail or just stand around doing nothing and that's just a real waste of time for everyone involved, including the griefer. What might've helped with this is also the limited communication of Tri. Griefers enjoy griefing and trolling just for the reactions, the screaming into the headset and goading namecalling. If all you get is a couple messages raging in a small chat window, I imagine that feedback's not great enough to warrant the trolling. :p

Basically, Monster Hunter is a series that requires investment; you get as much out of it as you put into it. I'd say it's not accessible enough for someone only interested in trolling/griefing, not worth the hassle. They can go to CoD or TF2 for an easier time fucking up other people's experiences.

Nohar

Hmmm... I'll probably create a new character and check as soon as possible which table I inherited. If it isn't a cursed one, I'll keep it. If it is, I'll re-create a character and use the timing method.

By the way, is table 10 also good for bowgunners ?

Hmmm... I'll probably create a new character and check as soon as possible which table I inherited. If it isn't a cursed one, I'll keep it. If it is, I'll re-create a character and use the timing method.

By the way, is table 10 also good for bowgunners ?

T1 or T9

T1: The best blademaster and gunner balance. has many "suro"(don't know what that means) protecting charms; the element unlock charms are a little sparse/slim; this set isn't exactly a cut above the rest.

T9: Somewhat gunner-ish. Gunner skill and attack +10 or critical eye +10 sets are abundant. This table has the weakest existence of god charms for blademasters.

I dont know anything about this table stuff that you guys are talking about lately as a newbie. I want to use the damn hammer would any of those timetables affect its effectiveness?

Haunted

Go for what? I am using the hammer regardless. I fell in love with in the demo.
I mean if you're just starting out with Ultimate, don't worry about this charm table stuff. :)

It's very much endgame-focused and even then it doesn't prevent you from progressing in the game or anything like that.

I mean if you're just starting out with Ultimate, don't worry about this charm table stuff. :)

It's very much endgame-focused and even then it doesn't prevent you from progressing in the game or anything like that.
No worries then, :) I just see alot of people concerned they want a specfic one.

Has anyone here ever encountered any sort of trolling in-game online in previous MH games? I haven't encountered any personally, but with the tools the game can give to a player - I thought there would be some griefers. Actually, it's silly of me to even think that. The MH community has been pretty awesome for me, but just wanted to see if anyone experienced such things.

I tend to keep kicking freeloaders (or people who are otherwise being assholes during quests) after the monster dies so they don't get any carves. Either that or I gift them garbage.

Pineconn

The MH community has been pretty awesome for me

I fancy you don't venture onto GameFAQs too much.

I managed to defeat Plessy pretty easily with the Gunlance (the element is favorable). Having played only Tri, it's still very new to me, and I like experiencing again the confusion and ire of learning a new weapon. That said, do any super vets know what niche the Gunlance fills? It seems like a power weapon only, something to get monsters dead as quickly as possible (while potentially severing a tail).

It's hard to kill those goddamn Melynxes with it, though. :mad:

I fancy you don't venture onto GameFAQs too much.

I visit that board quite frequently. In fact, a page back I responded to a user here who asked how one got into MH, and my story is because I stumbled upon the MHF game board on GameFAQs (so, thanks to that board).

Anyway, I was mainly talking about in-game trolling, not community board specific.

Pineconn

I visit that board quite frequently. In fact, a page back I responded to a user here who asked how one got into MH, and my story is because I stumbled upon the MHF game board on GameFAQs (so, thanks to that board).

Anyway, I was mainly talking about in-game trolling, not community board specific.

Haha, I'm kidding. I say that mostly because when Tri started to dwindle, the trolls stayed around and you couldn't ask for help without getting smartass answers. It seems much better right now.

I also appreciate that there's a running gag with people named Alex on FAQs. MHTri had no shortage of awful players named Alex, lol.

Haha, I'm kidding. I say that mostly because when Tri started to dwindle, the trolls stayed around and you couldn't ask for help without getting smartass answers. It seems much better right now.

I also appreciate that there's a running gag with people named Alex on FAQs. MHTri had no shortage of awful players named Alex, lol.
Whos alex?

Kyoufu

I experienced trolling every day in Tri.

They called it "Long Sword".

What kind of skills are good on bows?

fast charge, depending on the bow, pierce S, normal S, or pellet S (each boost pierce, rapid, and spread shots), load up, and maybe quick sheath

in 3rd i was a pierce bower, with the ebony bow ( it had pierce 5 as a lvl 4 charge) using jhen armor which naturally had pierce S, and fast charge, i gemmed in other skills with it

element bowing is good too, elemental attack up, and <insert element> boost, plus fast charge will do wonders

does anyone know if the "island of the titans" (lbg rustshard) from 3rd in this game? i wanna go micheal bay on monsters faces again like i did in 3rd

I would like this to catch on, but if not, oh well...
In honor and preparation of the release of MH3U, instead of talking about charms tables and all that good stuff, it would only be more appropriate to talk about our origin stories as hunters. How did you guys get into the Monster Hunter franchise? And if you want: What are some memorable events that occurred in any game previously released?

I got into monster hunter with MHFU. I played the demo before and absolutely hated it. I found the controls terrible and couldn't kill 1 monster. Later I found the game for 5€ at a local shop and decided to give it another try with my brother for the co-op. Now it's pretty much my favourite series.

As for a memorable event, I remember playing online on Tri against Uragaan and one of my fellow hunters got dizzy after being repeatedly beaten. He had died 2 times already and had low health, and Uragaan was heading for him with his rolling attack. I could barely rush to him with my hammer and use the unsheath attack to make him fly out of harms way and was just able to dodge the attack myself. It was hilarious to see and felt awesome.

Something similar but less spectacular happened when someone was getting hit repeatedly and I knew he would be stunned when he got up, so I stood next to him and kicked him the moment he was dizzy. Coincidentily, this also happened during an Uragaan fight while he was rolling around :p

DaBoss

How did you guys get into the Monster Hunter franchise? And if you want: What are some memorable events that occurred in any game previously released?

MHTri is my first game in the series. I got MHTri early from Wal-Mart, wasn't really hyped for it, it just seemed interesting (didn't play the demo) and I knew about it and it's release date, so I got it early. Started playing it, got through the tutorial stuff pretty easily. Then fighting monsters, I was pretty reckless. I went online with some people I met on another forum, and played. I was pretty bad, while the others were pretty good lol. After like 2 months of playing (only put in 30 hours in 2 months). I pretty much stopped (Galaxy 2 and Red Dead Redemption came out by then, and boy did I love those games).

Fast forward to 2011 December, I was interested in a 3DS, but didn't feel comfortable with it, so I didn't buy it, but I knew I would eventually get one. I then decided to check out the games it has on YouTube. I then seen videos of Monster Hunter Tri G for the 3DS on there. I decided to watch them. When I seen how they played, it looked like all kinds of fun, and I wanted to play pretty much like that, so I decided to play MHTri again and it just clicked, and I loved it.I ended up playing it all the way to July 2012 (400 hours total). I became pretty good at it, and knew a bunch of stuff about the series, and yea, that's about it.

Ken

fast charge, depending on the bow, pierce S, normal S, or pellet S (each boost pierce, rapid, and spread shots), load up, and maybe quick sheath

in 3rd i was a pierce bower, with the ebony bow ( it had pierce 5 as a lvl 4 charge) using jhen armor which naturally had pierce S, and fast charge, i gemmed in other skills with it

element bowing is good too, elemental attack up, and <insert element> boost, plus fast charge will do wonders

does anyone know if the "island of the titans" (lbg rustshard) from 3rd in this game? i wanna go micheal bay on monsters faces again like i did in 3rd

Thanks.

Are bowguns better at status effects than bows?

Raxious

I'm a complete noob when it comes to MH, but this is gonna be the first one I'll be playing. Pretty much all I can make out of those Charm Tables, is that Table 10 is the best one to have. What weapons go best with that table?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to MH, but this is gonna be the first one I'll be playing. Pretty much all I can make out of those Charm Tables, is that Table 10 is the best one to have. What weapons go best with that table?

Dont worry about the table's if you're new to the series. just go in and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom