• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Origin story!

My first real exposure to Monster Hunter was mostly through a video game livestream that I frequented. The owner of the channel was a monster hunter fan and often streamed from whatever version of it he had on PSP (I don't even know specifically which game it was). To be honest...I didn't get the appeal of it at all. There seemed to be no story, no progression, nothing about it clicked with me and the streamer never really did much to try and explain it so it was easy to get lost in all the subsystems.

Fast-forward to a while later, when Tri was announced and everybody started talking about it as a big deal. I decided to give it a chance and started reading into the game and the series a bit more, and it had me curious. I got the demo and wound up liking the feel of things even though I only managed to kill the Qurupeco within the 20 minute limit like once. I didn't get the full game until probably a year or so after its release due to money issues (Actually I got it in one of Target's B2G1 while Christmas shopping, might never have bought it otherwise). I played mostly solo for a long time, but during that time I became a major fan and started going full evangelist-mode to anybody I knew that had a Wii but didn't have the game, even straight-up bought it again to ship to a friend of mine who lives several states over. Eventually we managed to organize a regular hunting group of friends and started new characters together. Great times were had.

As for specific moments, my favorite is probably still knocking the Qurupeco out of the sky which I mentioned back at the start of the thread. We also had an awesome one-zone clear on a Royal Ludroth, frantically attacking him as he tried to limp away.

Oh, and killing lots and lots of Gigginox. Damn Gigginox.

I got the demo and wound up liking the feel of things even though I only managed to kill the Qurupeco within the 20 minute limit like once.

I was wondering if the original had the 20 minute time limit as well.
That demo was a lot newcomer friendly than the 3U one.

Pineconn

Kind of upset that people call LS a noob weapon. I was planning on mainly using LS, SA, and bow

It's not necessarily a noob weapon, it's just a weapon that noobs happen to use frequently. It's pretty obvious when someone knows how to use one (I'll be tripped by red slashes rather than white ones :p ).

Schwabe

It's not necessarily a noob weapon, it's just a weapon that noobs happen to use frequently. It's pretty obvious when someone knows how to use one (I'll be tripped by red slashes rather than white ones :p ).

there is no weapon in MH, with which you can't annoy others. I hat lances and hammers more than other weaponry because of that ... if you act carefully, you don't hit others. not with LS or other weapons...

Doorman

I was wondering if the original had the 20 minute time limit as well.
That demo was a lot newcomer friendly than the 3U one.

Yeah, the Tri demo was Great Jaggi and Qurupeco, both on the deserted island and with the 20 minute time limit present in the Ultimate demo. Really the only thing that makes it more newcomer-friendly is the fact that GJ and Quru are literally the first two large monsters you encounter in the game (at least, if you play offline), whereas I don't think that's the case with Lagombi and certainly not Plesioth. I still think that lagombi is a tough "easy" monster for people completely new to the series, because he slides around so much that I think it'd be easy for newbies to get frustrated with the slower weapons. I suppose if nothing else it's an effective teaching tool to let people know that they should be sheathing/unsheathing.

As for the Qurupeco, I timed out on him a lot even though I learned his moves pretty well. Once his health lowered he would often fly off and retreat to other areas and I just never seemed to have the time to run after him. I only managed to beat him with the hammer, which I didn't go back to in the full game until I started my second character.

Any ideas what the european eShop price will be for the Wii U version? I want to go download, but can't really justify it if it's more expensive than retail...

Doorman

Any ideas what the european eShop price will be for the Wii U version? I want to go download, but can't really justify it if it's more expensive than retail...

Assuming it functions the same as the North American eShop, then it should be the same amount as whatever MSRP is for the physical retail version.

Fistwell

Shouldn't the reviews drop in by now?
Oh man, looking forward to what expert game journalists have to say about this game.

Expecting a few of the following,

No lock on?

New entry in the dinosaur-hunting franchise.

Skills are hard.

Story sucks, needs more voice acting.

Too many weapons and armors, choice remains essentially cosmetic.

Poor pacing, I was totally owning the little dinosaurs (like a BOSS) when an "Abysmal Lagiucros" came out of nowhere to 1-shot me smh.

Ridley327

How did you guys get into the Monster Hunter franchise? And if you want: What are some memorable events that occurred in any game previously released?

Long ago, Sony had a beta testing initiative for members of the Playstation Underground, which allowed for members to get their hands on some online-enabled games before anyone else could. For the most part, they weren't betas in the traditional sense; they were essentially online-enabled demos that they sent out just so they could gauge how well the netcode was holding up. Capcom, in particular, was a very active partner for this, as they had previously tested Auto Modellista and Resident Evil: Outbreak, the latter of which went over about as well as a lead balloon.

When Monster Hunter showed up, no one knew anything about it; Capcom hadn't been hyping the game up very much, and the overwhelmingly negative feedback about RE:O made a lot of people leery about getting another Capcom game to try out. Regardless, it was sent out.

I don't think anyone knew what to make of it early on; since Capcom didn't send out any instructions with it, I don't think anyone really knew what they were doing early on. Right stick is your attack "button?" Digital camera control? Slow-paced tactical combat versus the more popular flashy presentation that was popular at the time? Well, at least it had keyboard chat during online play for a change! Regardless, it frustrated a lot of people; how could Capcom make something more obtuse than RE:O in such a short timespan.

And then, it started clicking for some people, myself included. For me, it was incidentally during the egg quest that introduced players to the wonderful world of pain that is Rathalos. You're not really supposed to go after it (it is an egg quest, after all), but once we figured out that you could take it down, the players that kept going at it started making that the primary objective. As difficult as it was, we managed to nail him, and that really became the demo for us. And that was that, really.

Fun fact: Capcom was originally intending the game for a M-rating (the demo was M-rated), as the blood sprays were much, much, much bigger. I figured that this was part of their effort to make it more appealing to western gamers, like how they added in dual blades for us (Monster Hunter G is basically Monster Hunter: International, after all), but I wonder what made them change their minds. It's probably as something as simple as trying to get as many sales as they could, but it's interesting to think of what could have been.

Oh man, looking forward to what expert game journalists have to say about this game.
fEAqL3f.jpg

Kind of upset that people call LS a noob weapon. I was planning on mainly using LS, SA, and bow
Who cares what people think? Just use what's the most fun.

I used nothing but LS all my 400+ hours in Tri and it was a blast. I didnt find it any easier or harder to master than the other weapons.

For Ult I'm going exclusive bow for a different experience this time around.

Doorman

Fun fact: Capcom was originally intending the game for a M-rating (the demo was M-rated), as the blood sprays were much, much, much bigger. I figured that this was part of their effort to make it more appealing to western gamers, like how they added in dual blades for us (Monster Hunter G is basically Monster Hunter: International, after all), but I wonder what made them change their minds. It's probably as something as simple as trying to get as many sales as they could, but it's interesting to think of what could have been.

If the only real difference is the presence of a bunch more blood, then I for one am glad that it's gone the direction it has. I suppose if you had a higher rating you could perhaps cut off more than just tails, but at the same time I think that would force them to alter monster animations so significantly that it wouldn't be practical. Gameplay-wise what else could they have really done with an M?

Gameplay-wise what else could they have really done with an M?
- Cut more stuff, like decapitations and dismemberment. Chopping the belly off can get you a scale or something.
- Bleeding characters.
- Fatalities ala RE. Got caught by a very specific attack while on low health? Instant game over. No kitty carts. Reload game.

Then PETA comes along and complains about the series, seeing as they think "Zergs have feelings too".

Ridley327

If the only real difference is the presence of a bunch more blood, then I for one am glad that it's gone the direction it has. I suppose if you had a higher rating you could perhaps cut off more than just tails, but at the same time I think that would force them to alter monster animations so significantly that it wouldn't be practical. Gameplay-wise what else could they have really done with an M?

Yeah, I'm definitely not hurting by not being able to disembowel a monster in graphic detail. MH has always been inherently lighthearted, and that would be going way over the line.

Something to set aside for the gritty reboot, developed by Terminal Reality!

Shouldn't the reviews drop in by now?

GamesTM gave it a 7/10 (Wii U version reviewed) and IIRC they gave Monster Hunter Freedom Unite an 8/10.
Primarily lamenting that this a 3DS HD port, textures and characters are surprisingly flat and lifeless. Monsters look great though. Complaints of loading times, especially when the maps feel sparse. Expected more with the power of Wii U. Battles are enthralling, Gamepad uses are useful. Enjoyed Tri they didn't mind this port due to better online infrastructure.
Concludes:
  • Relentlessly addictive
  • Wished Capcom built an HD game from ground up
  • Graphically upscaling isn't perfect, but Ultimate is still weell worth playing for MH fans
  • Better than Tri, worse than Phantasy Star Universe
  • It is an accessible path into a punishing world (concluding remarks)
*Also note that this score is without playing multiplayer, they tend to review online multiplayer seperately.
Edit: they also said the track camera is great to get players accustom to some of the more unweildy weapons such as the Saw Axe....(yeah think they meant switchaxe XD)
Double Edit: Also note that 7/10 is like an 8/9 in most reviews, they scored Tales of Vesperia (A GAF jrpg darling?) a 5/10 due to the lack of real innovations etc.

DaBoss

GamesTM gave it a 7/10 (Wii U version reviewed) and IIRC they gave Monster Hunter Freedom Unite an 8/10.
Primarily lamenting that this a 3DS HD port, textures and characters are surprisingly flat and lifeless. Monsters look great though. Complaints of loading times, especially when the maps feel sparse. Expected more with the power of Wii U. Battles are enthralling, Gamepad uses are useful. Enjoyed Tri they didn't mind this port due to better online infrastructure.
Concludes:
  • Relentlessly addictive
  • Graphically upscaling isn't perfect, but Ultimate is still weell worth playing for MH fans
*Also note that this score is without playing multiplayer, they tend to review online multiplayer seperately.
Edit: they also said the track camera is great to get players accustom to some of the more unweildy weapons such as the Saw Axe....(yeah think they meant switchaxe XD)

tumblr_mi12o2i90u1s34q5ufw.gif

Can't take the review seriously.

Concludes:
  • Relentlessly addictive

I dont know about it being better than PSU. Its a different game with different goals in mind. Why compare?
Adding in, This review doesnt acknowledge it's past much. So yeah... Kinda a joke, but whatever.

Fistwell

textures and characters are surprisingly flat and lifeless... Complaints of loading times, especially when the maps feel sparse... Expected more with the power of Wii U...
Eh fair enough. I can get behind most of the above. The remark about "punishing" is kinda lol though.

Doorman

- Cut more stuff, like decapitations and dismemberment. Chopping the belly off can get you a scale or something.
Belly, maybe, but stuff like that wouldn't really happen until the fight is concluded anyway. Like I already said, you couldn't really get away with severing a limb while in the middle of a fight without them having to program a completely different set of attack animations and a different A.I. for the monster to use them.

- Bleeding characters.
Would this essentially function like poison, but with you dropping blood along the ground?

- Fatalities ala RE. Got caught by a very specific attack while on low health? Instant game over. No kitty carts. Reload game.
More like roll a new character from scratch. The way it works now still feels kind of video-gamey, yes, but there's a consistency to the setting that makes it work. You get your ass kicked, felynes cart your unconscious ass back to the base camp. Fail too much and the guild judges that you aren't capable of defeating the monster and pulls you out. How would you explain a player character getting gruesomely ripped apart and then just appearing back in the port as if nothing happened? At that point it just seems like violence for violence's sake.

Kouriozan

I dont know about it being better than PSU. Its a different game with different goals in mind. Why compare?
Adding in, This review doesnt acknowledge it's past much. So yeah... Kinda a joke, but whatever.

Yeah this is really questionable.
One game has exp. and levels, the other relies on player's skill.

Mondriaan

Yeah, I'm definitely not hurting by not being able to disembowel a monster in graphic detail. MH has always been inherently lighthearted, and that would be going way over the line.

Something to set aside for the gritty reboot, developed by Terminal Reality!
They can make the mature version based on the movie that's based on the game.

As far as mature rating versions go, all they would need to do is add more "death" animations since right now they technically re-use the same animation no matter how it happens. Also more death screams.

Mupod

j80l8rgLV919t.jpg

Seriously though if you use it right it's a great weapon to have in a group, just like every other weapon. LS and SA are the masters of tail cutting. There was always hate for them but Tri made it worse since there were so many 'pro lancers' spamming counter all day in places they should not have been safe. The only thing that would throw them off was being hit, and LS had infinite spirit combo + interrupts lances like (almost) nothing else. Lance counter got a minor nerf and LS can't spam all day anymore so it should relax a bit.

But really you can screw over your team with any weapon if you play without considering others, LS at least doesn't interrupt other LSers or attacks with armor like the super pound. Hammers and GS can send people flying, and a single careless bowgunner with pellet can lock down melee far worse than multiple LS spiritcombo spammers.

What I'm saying is, randoms can be a headache. But usually aren't. And if you stick to GAF it should be fine. Somebody just starting out isn't going to lose his shit over your weapon choice and most of the 'elitists' will have their own parties.

The PSU comparison is just a picture no explanation, basically a this game scored higher/felt better, this scored worse/played worst system.
It does lol just cut out the parts XD, I'll write it out here: (They talk how MH set the precedent before Dark Souls: "It's a series that thrives on players correctly assessing situations, learning the lie of the land and preparing for the fight of theor lives, and this was a precedent set long before Dark Souls became the go-to for an addictive challenge")

• Good to see hasn't changed in three years
  • Tri provided the Western audiences the accessible entry to the series
  • Especially after the PSP's Freedom Unite erected a brick wall to the fun and dared players to cross it blindfloded
  • Tri struck a balance, Ultimate provides the same kind of accessibility

Mupod

I think the game looks fine but I of course agree with them about the 3DS port thing. They should have at least kept the water in Deserted Island! It's fucking hideous now, and it was so pretty and relaxing before. Since I like freehunting it bothers me more than it should.

Belly, maybe, but stuff like that wouldn't really happen until the fight is concluded anyway. Like I already said, you couldn't really get away with severing a limb while in the middle of a fight without them having to program a completely different set of attack animations and a different A.I. for the monster to use them.
Breakables could have more actual impact. Eg, cutting Rath's wings would actually stop him from flying. It wouldn't take that much extra effort since they'll just remove the wing parts if they're lazy. An extra effort would be capping their kneecaps with blunt weapons to make them always lump when they move.

It can also be just purely for visual effects. Give more visual feedback that you're actually cutting the scale or deforming its body by making the muscle ripple when you hit it.

Would this essentially function like poison, but with you dropping blood along the ground?
More of just a visual effect, like your character looking bloodier/more rugged the longer the fight drags. The effect could also be as subtle as the one in SotC
where Wander looks darker and dirtier the more colossi you kill

Your idea can also work. Maybe if you're dripping blood, the monster gets more aggressive and you are now the focus of its aggro? Teammates can try to peel him off you with with dung/sonic/flashbombs or something.

How would you explain a player character getting gruesomely ripped apart and then just appearing back in the port as if nothing happened? At that point it just seems like violence for violence's sake.
Never really thought of that, though I wasn't really referring to your limbs getting ripped off. Something like getting bitten badly or your unconscious body being unceremoniously thrown around like a ragdoll.

I can't really think any other way of trying to make it an M18 game. Overly sexualizing is just ehh, though I suppose you can add cussing even though I hate that in games.

Btw here's the rest of the reviews in the issue interperet it how you like:
Tomb Raider: 8/10
Crysis 3: 7/10
God of War Ascension: 9/10
Luigi's Mansion 2 (Dark Moon): 9/10
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken: 8/10
Fist of tthe North Star: Ken's Rage 2: 3/10
Earth Defence Force 2017 Portable: 8/10
Strike Suit Zero: 6/10
Omerta: City of Gangsters: 3/10
Knights of Pen & Paper: 8/10
Dokuro: 6/10
Haunt the House: Terrortown: 7/10
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest: 2/10
No Time to Explain: 5/10

Mondriaan

Breakables could have more actual impact. Eg, cutting Rath's wings would actually stop him from flying. It wouldn't take that much extra effort since they'll just remove the wing parts if they're lazy. An extra effort would be capping their kneecaps with blunt weapons to make them always lump when they move.
Those kinds of things would make the game (even more) trivial with a well-coordinated group. There's no point adding realism if the game isn't being made better in some way. Becoming an animal torturer/crippler simulation isn't an improvement.

Those kinds of things would make the game trivial with a well-coordinated group. There's no point adding realism if the game isn't being made better in some way. Becoming an animal torturer/crippler simulation isn't an improvement.

Precisely. Making it gritty and gory would make it a completely different game. The Monster Hunter franchise has a lot of personality to it, of which wraps around the gameplay extremely well, giving it an arcade-y feel.
If a developer took the chance in making a gore-filled MH-like game, I'd be up for it. But don't change Monster Hunter.

fates

Seriously though if you use it right it's a great weapon to have in a group, just like every other weapon. LS and SA are the masters of tail cutting. There was always hate for them but Tri made it worse since there were so many 'pro lancers' spamming counter all day in places they should not have been safe. The only thing that would throw them off was being hit, and LS had infinite spirit combo + interrupts lances like (almost) nothing else. Lance counter got a minor nerf and LS can't spam all day anymore so it should relax a bit.

But really you can screw over your team with any weapon if you play without considering others, LS at least doesn't interrupt other LSers or attacks with armor like the super pound. Hammers and GS can send people flying, and a single careless bowgunner with pellet can lock down melee far worse than multiple LS spiritcombo spammers.

What I'm saying is, randoms can be a headache. But usually aren't. And if you stick to GAF it should be fine. Somebody just starting out isn't going to lose his shit over your weapon choice and most of the 'elitists' will have their own parties.

The problem with the longsword is that it's attacks cover long distances, whereas other weapons are usually more centralized. Switch Axe is an exception unless you really know how to use (sword mode has a vertical slash that doesn't bother anyone else) it.

LS user shouldn't spirit combo if Lancers are working, just use the overhead slashes and the stab. What you aren't doing in Spirit Combo is being made up by the damage the others are doing. When you see it's clear, then you can go nuts. Most LS users don't do this, and just spirit combo constantly.

And GS is still the best tail cutter. The charged strike really gets the job done, the problem is learning the timing.

Raide

Those kinds of things would make the game (even more) trivial with a well-coordinated group. There's no point adding realism if the game isn't being made better in some way. Becoming an animal torturer/crippler simulation isn't an improvement.

If they added something like that, the Devs would just have to be way more creative when it came to monster attacks. Most of them only have 2 or 3 main patterns, so if the wings go it would be grounded but could gain other more dangerous attacks.

One thing I would love from the MH series is some actual Monster Hunting. Knowing where it spawns and running there is not really hunting. You never really have to look for the monster. Having some more indepth tracking of monsters via footprints etc would be fun. As it stands, the game is more Monster Paintballer then Kill/Tranquilize it: Some Hunting Edition. They could do way more to flesh out the feel of being a Monster Hunter.

fates

And what do 4chan posts have to do with the score a journalist gives? Is that from some past scandal where the reviewer was bashing the game on 4chan as he was reviewing it?

It's just showing the reactions of people who end up like the 3 panels above and hate the game for it.

Haunted

Don't worry, we can just Longsword it up together. ^^

Eh, just don't care what others say about certain weapons. Getting flung upwards by hammers is worse, anyway. :p

Though in my beginner days I did have one fucking pro hammer guy who went ahead and threw us around the arena to save our noobish asses from getting hit, which I thought was really impressive.

I expect it's going to be full fucking price, 59,99€.

Some you do but I would much rather see some interesting skills other than the one that puts a big dot on the map. Maybe begin able to see tracks or something on the ground.
Oh, that's a pretty neat idea, I like it.

Or maybe do a reverse and mark on the map where he can't be - that would require the monsters to not move around so much before the first encounter, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom