• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to get this game for wii U. First time monster hunter and I'm a little confused on what to upgrade. I'm liking the switch axe the most so far so I think I'll stick to that but should I be upgrading my beginner wep or forging new ones? I'm still pretty early in the game. Just unlocked the level 2 stuff. Any tips for progressing to end game faster?

Can someone explain to me how elemental damage works? I have a GS that does more raw damage than any other weapon I have, but if a monster is weak to an element that another weaker weapon has, should I use that instead?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/991479-monster-hunter-portable-3rd/faqs/61837

I decided to get this game for wii U. First time monster hunter and I'm a little confused on what to upgrade. I'm liking the switch axe the most so far so I think I'll stick to that but should I be upgrading my beginner wep or forging new ones? I'm still pretty early in the game. Just unlocked the level 2 stuff. Any tips for progressing to end game faster?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66690

Enjoy, gentlemen.

MHP3rd remove the number padding so this won't help him 100%.

There's a lot of computation for those who don't want to study it, but in general:
- Elemental Value is divided by 10
- Raw Attack Power is divided depending on the weapon. For GS/LS, it is divided by 4.8.

If you had a 520ATP + 160 Fire GS:
- 108 True ATP
- 16 True Fire

There are many other multipliers that affect those numbers, like sharpness, monster hitzone, actual attack done and so on. There's been a few changes to balance the computations, but I'm not really familiar with them (namely elemental damage vs hits).

MHP3rd remove the number padding so this won't help him 100%.

There's a lot of computation for those who don't want to study it, but in general:
- Elemental Value is divided by 10
- Raw Attack Power is divided depending on the weapon. For GS/LS, it is divided by 4.8.

If you had a 520ATP + 160 Fire GS:
- 108 True ATP
- 16 True Fire

There are many other multipliers that affect those numbers, like sharpness, monster hitzone, actual attack done and so on. There's been a few changes to balance the computations, but I'm not really familiar with them (namely elemental damage vs hits).
That is a link to MHP3rd damage info...

I set my Cha Cha to the nulberry mask with gatherer as his skill, but he keeps setting shock traps. Is that normal?

Also, the best tip for progressing through the game faster is never repeat quests, never go into moga woods and only make the things you can get as you progress. That's what I did until HR ^_^

Yeah, but MH3U returned to number padding again. There's also still the chance that a few things changed, but we really don't have a way to check them anymore.
It's still going to be a really good guide to put someone in the right direction.

Why do we no longer have a way to check damage formulas?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Spent the almost the entirety of yesterday trying to get my Wii U to connect in online multiplayer. Kept getting the two error codes (0614 and 0612) whenever I'd try to connect to a room.

I tried basically everything I ever saw anyone recommend. Added Wii U to DMZ, port mapped a whole shit-ton of ports, assigned the Wii U a static IP, gave that IP a DCHP reservation, changed my router settings to 802.11n (2.4 GHz). Essentially nothing worked. Got in to one game and was able to get a few people to join a game I created one time, but the rest of the day it was nonstop error codes. Wonder if anyone here has any other tricks up their sleeves that don't start with "Call Nintendo" and end with "Customer Service."

On the plus side, my Airport Extreme and I grew very close yesterday.

Mupod

I knew I'd regret using my Iron Ore on bomb casings. Well, a morning of mining g-rank misty peaks and I have my Anvil Hammer. Why do I end up going back to this thing in every game?

Also here I thought I'd need to get some huge pain in the ass of an armor set to get the double charm finding skill, and turns out the first enduring I ever find has +7 charmer. I had just enough to make two pieces of Arzuros X so now my gathering set has divine whim, gathering+2, speed gather and charm hunter. Downside is it apparently doesn't proc all the time, but I've already found a 2x enduring so far.

I really need the volcano gathering quest, but man there are so many key quests in HR6. My high rank Nargacuga set is still doing work, I've yet to cart in g-rank and I've done rust duramboros and dual brachy already.

Ridley327

can't believe I didn't die on mine

My first one was the rumble with two G. Jaggis and two Volvidons; Jaggis are still free, but those Volvidons are awfully lethal if they get you with the paralyze/super smash combo, as one of our party members found out.

I wasn't so lucky with my first G-Rank Pink Rathian. I managed to pick the absolute worst time to bring out an antidote.

Going back to online soloing for now. Dual Rath Urgent? (╯°□°)╯︵ [suɹəʌʎʍ]

3 vs 2 let's go!

Kouriozan

Had an awesome afternoon with Selenae and Faust, 5 hours of hunts.
Too bad we couldn't do your G rank Jho, I also need to farm him ^^

Birathen

Spent the almost the entirety of yesterday trying to get my Wii U to connect in online multiplayer. Kept getting the two error codes (0614 and 0612) whenever I'd try to connect to a room.

I tried basically everything I ever saw anyone recommend. Added Wii U to DMZ, port mapped a whole shit-ton of ports, assigned the Wii U a static IP, gave that IP a DCHP reservation, changed my router settings to 802.11n (2.4 GHz). Essentially nothing worked. Got in to one game and was able to get a few people to join a game I created one time, but the rest of the day it was nonstop error codes. Wonder if anyone here has any other tricks up their sleeves that don't start with "Call Nintendo" and end with "Customer Service."

On the plus side, my Airport Extreme and I grew very close yesterday.

I have the same problem! Also using airport extreme. Do you have problems connecting to the Miiverse and eShop aswell? Everything worked flawless until yesterday or the day befor that when this crap started.. I can get into rooms if I try a couple of Times' and when Im in There is no problem what so ever.

Recommended order to fight these?
Rathalos, Barioth, Diablos.

I went Rathalos, Barioth, Diablos

As far as difficulty, it depends on your weapon. I'm pretty sure Barioth goes down the quickest but its movements are probably the most erratic. Diablos isn't hard but takes a while. Rathalos can be a bastard depending on how the AI is feeling but basically it's Rathian with a lot more fireballs.

Alrus

Rathalos isn't really hard, sometimes a bit annoying when he flies around but they toned him down a lot. He's piss easy if you're a bow user (just like Rathian really), you'll barely get hit.

Diablos and Barioth I never enjoyed these fights but I'd say Barioth is a bit more difficult.

Kyzon

Are you going from a gunner weapon tot he long sword? If so you'd be going from gunner armor to blademaster armor which is a requirement, unless you want to go naked.

Otherwiese I'm not sure what a vest could be.

This right here, other than helmets, you can use pretty much any helmet for whatever you want to use it for. I often opt for the helmet geared towards blademaster even though I'm a gunner.

Zornica

Banned
@EU Gaf
We're gonna do a few HR5 hunts

Expert 1 / Lobby 2 / hr5 hunt

Everyone is welcome. we'll be talking in german though, so just mute us if you don't want to listen :p

ryz

Exact order i fought those guys.

Like said, Los is like Rathian with A LOT more air time and fireballs.

Barioth is jumping like crazy, but should go down quickly.

Blos was the hardest of them for me, because i'm used to cap monsters. He will usually enter rage mode when he should be limping. In rage mode he's just super fast and angry.

Beats

Yup and I've spoken to everyone in the tavern and no where do I see anything that allows me to search for other games. I hit the gong thing and sat here for 20 minutes but nothing happened.

vxcvxcv94lsz.png

Hmm, are you sure you clicked that option? Because that should have brought you to the server browser after a few prompts. If you're already in a room then you can go back by going to the edge of the entrance of the tavern and click the fast travel option to go back to the lobby.

Hmm, are you sure you clicked that option? Because that should have brought you to the server browser after a few prompts.

Ahhh shit! I thought Multi was Multiplayer and Network was Local Multi.

You go to Network Mode to play Multiplayer online? So what does Multi do? Local?

Is it just me or does that seem backwards?

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll have to try it later because in sitting in the Multi port for so long my Gamepad died. :(

Kouriozan

You go to Network Mode to play Multiplayer online? So what does Multi do? Local?

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll have to try it later because in sitting in the Multi port for so long my Gamepad died. :(
Multi is to play with 3DS owners.

Boogiepop

I'm not sure I'm ready for HR4 as Brachy was doing excessive damage to me, but I'd be up for giving it a try and then maybe dropping back down to grind for better gear in HR3 if need be.

I guess I'll make a room, US, Boogiegaf, 3-9. Usual password.

Edit: Nvm, looks like there's already a GAF room here.

Kyzon

Multi is Local with 3DS I believe.

Filth

Think I'm gonna work on a slime lance. But I'm not going the dios route. Gonna pick one of the other exclusive paths :p

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I have the same problem! Also using airport extreme. Do you have problems connecting to the Miiverse and eShop aswell? Everything worked flawless until yesterday or the day befor that when this crap started.. I can get into rooms if I try a couple of Times' and when Im in There is no problem what so ever.

I don't actually have any problem with the other online features of the console strangely enough. I can use Miiverse, the eShop, the Browser, all the media functions just fine, but online matchmaking hardly works at all. I have the same problem with Sonic Racing, and it's starting to bum me out. Might just try buying a new router, though this one is pretty reliable in most other regards. Seems like that's my only option if Nintendo Customer Support fails me.

My connection rate is like 4% at this point.

DaBoss

Chopped off a Barroths tail and carved it, didn't give me the tail though ? Am I doing something wrong ?

You can get various things when you carve a tail or carve anything really. You may or may not get certain things. Like a tail from carving a tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom