• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Can't wait for the off-screen patch to be released. I would love to be able to hop online at this time of night without worrying about using the TV too much.

Chaos

I have a question to ask. Is it possible to cut off parts of all monsters as a Gunner with Slice ammo, or am I going to have to play as a swordsman? I ask because I've gotten pretty far and I now noticed that for the Ludroth Armor I need a R.Ludroth tail, and I'm guessing other higher up armors will require the same.

Its ment to be possible but its hard to do, as a gunner I just capture the monster and sometimes you will get the tail as a reward.

Lizardus

Whats my cheapest starter weapon to upgrade to if I want to farm some Bananarama after poisoning them? I have only upgraded the SA and the lance.

vareon

Lovin my Dios Gunlance. Needs a brachy gem to upgrade, though. Not sure I can handle farming brachydios right now.

Also, what's a good armor set fot Gunlance? I've been alternating Aelucanth/Barroth, just because I have 'em.

ramyeon

Whats my cheapest starter weapon to upgrade to if I want to farm some Bananarama after poisoning them? I have only upgraded the SA and the lance.
Bnahabra? Best way is to use the torch to gather them together and then poison smoke bomb a bunch of them at once. You can make poison smoke bombs with toadstools and bomb casing.

Ken

So whats the best way to maximise Dios gem drop? i heard randomly its actually better to kill than capture him? is this true?

Capturing increases the number of rewards at the end so you'd be getting more rolls at it I guess. People have told me that carving is better than capturing at G rank too but I think they were lying to me.

Lovin my Dios Gunlance. Needs a brachy gem to upgrade, though. Not sure I can handle farming brachydios right now.

Also, what's a good armor set fot Gunlance? I've been alternating Aelucanth/Barroth, just because I have 'em.

Guard and Bombadier would be good skills.

Dunkelgrau

Wait, when you use the longsword, you have to equip a vest ? (Dont know what is called in the english version of the game.) How important ist that?

Ken

]blacky[;52988727 said:
Wait, when you use the longsword, you have to equip a vest ? (Dont know what is called in the english version of the game.) How important ist that?

Are you going from a gunner weapon tot he long sword? If so you'd be going from gunner armor to blademaster armor which is a requirement, unless you want to go naked.

Otherwiese I'm not sure what a vest could be.

I am DREADING getting to the volcano and having to get a new weapon (my current one is fire based). I wish I could just switch elements to make life easier. ;_;

Ken

Interesting. What's Awakening? (not that I don't want to check it myself, but being on the phone complicates things)

It activates elements on weapons that have "hidden elements" which are usually in parenthesis on the equipment screen. So a bow with (Fire 300) does not have that fire damage if you don't have Awaken skill.

Dunkelgrau

Are you going from a gunner weapon tot he long sword? If so you'd be going from gunner armor to blademaster armor which is a requirement, unless you want to go naked.

Otherwiese I'm not sure what a vest could be.
Well for every armor-type you have more options than one: Vest, Shawl, Mail and so on.
But now I already saw, what I should buy when I use a longsword. It is mendioned in the UI. I didnt see it before.

Ken

]blacky[;52991820 said:
Well for every armor-type you have more options than one: Vest, Shawl, Mail and so on.
But now I already saw, what I should buy when I use a longsword. It is mendioned in the UI. I didnt see it before.

Just look for if it says it's for blademasters or gunner.

Fewr

]blacky[;52992114 said:
Indeed. That was my problem. I did not see it before.

Can you go to other offline areas without doing a quest beside the flooded forest?
Yes, go to single player port tanzia. The first few quests are what you're looking for.

Napophis

How do guild cards work? i've been "Hiring" players to do quests in Tanzia, but they seem to only have 1 or 2 star quests available. Currently i'm HR4, i haven't done any Tanzia quests solo, hope that has nothing to do with that...

Also i was mainly a Dual Swords user but have recently made the switch to Greatsword and have been enjoying myself. Question is what armor is good for GS? Currently have a mix of High and Low rank rathalos armor, not decorated.

So I'm getting rustshards left and right, and been keeping all the weapons I've gotten so far. Problem is, after reading online, I still don't really understand how rustshards work.

Most of my shards turn into vanilla level 1 weapons. Are these worth keeping? Do they "turn" into a good weapon at some point, or should I just get rid of them?

Today I got this rusted GS. is it rare? Should I upgrade it?

Doorman

So I'm getting rustshards left and right, and been keeping all the weapons I've gotten so far. Problem is, after reading online, I still don't really understand how rustshards work.

Most of my shards turn into vanilla level 1 weapons. Are these worth keeping? Do they "turn" into a good weapon at some point, or should I just get rid of them?

The rustshards that become the vanilla level 1 weapons are just that: crummy level 1 weapons, the same as what you'd find in your equipment box at the very beginning of the game. Unless you particularly want to upgrade one of them along their normal trees, go ahead and sell them off.

The actual "rusted" weapons, like that GS, can be upgraded along their own unique path and, once the rust is removed, tend to become very powerful dragon-element ancient weapons. Those are the ones to shoot for if you're rustshard-hunting.

They become better w/ upgrades.

Tarps

Tempted to pick this up for 3DS but I'm not sure I can go back to the PSP 'claw'.

Does this control OK without the CPP?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I would say rusted weapons aren't worth upgrading because you can get their ancient counterparts at G rank, which upgrade to more powerful versions of the weapon.

Like a rusted GS will upgrade to 864 raw 340 dra, while the ancient version will upgrade to 1152 raw 700 dra. Unless you really really want a dragon weapon atm and have buttloads of earth crystals and other materials to spare, it's not worth it.

DaBoss

Tempted to pick this up for 3DS but I'm not sure I can go back to the PSP 'claw'.

Well I don't mind the controls, and I don't use the CPP (XL). Target Cam is really useful and re-centers the camera towards the monster.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, I transitioned from the claw to lock-on just fine. Swimming is still clunky and takes some getting used to, but it's doable.

Vibed

God I waited so long before jumping online, but I think I'm ready now. Only just finished Moga 5* quests, so basically the equivalent of online HR1.

On another note, I wonder if we'll reach OT2 before we head to community...

Doorman

On another note, I wonder if we'll reach OT2 before we head to community...

If we do, I think the OT2 should be allowed to stay in gaming for an extra month before being moved to community. Clearly there's still a healthy amount of interest and discussion about the game! :p

The rustshards that become the vanilla level 1 weapons are just that: crummy level 1 weapons, the same as what you'd find in your equipment box at the very beginning of the game. Unless you particularly want to upgrade one of them along their normal trees, go ahead and sell them off.

The actual "rusted" weapons, like that GS, can be upgraded along their own unique path and, once the rust is removed, tend to become very powerful dragon-element ancient weapons. Those are the ones to shoot for if you're rustshard-hunting.

Thanks! Gonna sell the lot then, don't like how they clog up my inventory :p

BTW: Are there rusted Switch Axes?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Huh...so I was playing around the past few days with the light bowgun, and for damn sure these monsters have less health than precious versions. I recall it taking me forever to beat diablos with it before and while it did take awhile this time, it was so much faster and easier.

That lock on is a godsend and it along with the light bowgun make water battles much easier. I still can't beat gobul with melee that easily, but it's a joke with light bowgun.

Palmer_v1

First g rank went as expected.

Australian_cart.jpg

?

Ghost23

Can someone explain to me how elemental damage works? I have a GS that does more raw damage than any other weapon I have, but if a monster is weak to an element that another weaker weapon has, should I use that instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom