• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes! Curbstomped Pink Rathian in the G.Jaggi + P.Rathian quest. I was thinking, "Damn, will I have enough time for this?"

G.Jaggi went down in less than 2 minutes lol then I got to putting in work on Pink Rathian. I think I've got a better grasp on its moveset because I KO'd it twice and had it limping in 10 minutes compared to taking bordering on 45 minutes to drop my first one. Wrapped up the quest in 17 minutes

With hammer, all the tutorials I've seen basically showed people aiming for the head exclusively but I found that exhausting enemies with body shots while hitting the head during opportune moments produced better results. Once something is exhausted hitting the head becomes trivial. Does that make sense or should I be aiming to memorize the enemies movesets for all clean headshot opportunities?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, small quirks in this game keep driving me nuts. Case in point: just got two Bnahabra with a poison bomb, but they landed in a part of the level geometry I can't reach and I couldn't carve them

Also someone recommended using poison ammo on a bowgun to get them ready for carving but like, the first upgrade on the default bowgun capable of using poison ammo (the Jaggi one) is strong enough to kill them in one hit...

ramyeon

Stuck waiting for a position in the lobby to open up, since there's almost no people in the others. It's been very difficult to find good rooms today too :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guild Cards are the best thing ever. I just sent EvilMario to hunt a Diablos!

EM you better bring back the goods.
zWVbK.gif

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Zinogre Z armor set complete:
Awesome, I managed to gem razor sharp onto mine thanks to a talisman. The rest of the skills are pretty meh, but it looks cool as shit.

In other news I hope the 5 earth dragongems I need are as easy to get as deep/dark ones. After only 7 ceadeus kills I've got 8 deep and 3 dark dragongems already.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
No seriously, does anyone know specifically what ranged weapons can poison a Bnahabra without killing it?
If even the weakest ones are killing them in one shot, you're better off just making poison smoke bombs. It's more efficient anyways. You can buy both toadstools and bomb casings from the granny merchant in one of her inventory cycles.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Okay, small quirks in this game keep driving me nuts. Case in point: just got two Bnahabra with a poison bomb, but they landed in a part of the level geometry I can't reach and I couldn't carve them

Yea, also getting a Stun or KO on a monster whom is beyond the area change divide. Running up for a few free whacks I deserve and suddenly area transition...happens way too much.

Ridley327

I still need to make that set for my overall GS uses. Gonna try to gem in HGE somehow.

Yeah, that's the tricky part; they give you enough slots to gem in something useful, and I'm leaning towards getting 7 more points into Fencing for Mind's Eye, since that's never not useful to have.

Ken

I have Crit Draw, Sharpness +1, Evasion +1, Tremor Res, Quick Sheath, and Slow Sharpnening on my Blos X set.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
If you're going to be farming blos, this is the top rated GS armor set on JP sites I'm looking at

diablos x helm /crit draw gem OO
diablos x mail /anti quake gem O
nibelsnarf x arms /unsheath gem O,O
diablos x coil
nibelsnarf x greaves
1 slot weapon /anti quake gem O
+5 handicraft talisman

Gives sheathing, quake res, sharpness+1, crit draw, punish draw

Good luck getting those hardhorns

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Japanese version here, but I finally got around to finishing my Escadora X set, complete with fully upgraded long sword <3

I still prefer my Azure Rathalos armor set for the skills but I consider Escadora to be "end game" equipment, so I can officially stop farming the damn thing. :p

What the hell? I had Baleful Gigginox in a shock trap, threw 3 tranq grenades and it broke out.

Did it glitch or something? It was tired and I had Capture Guru

beje

Banned
I ended up with a Gobul set out of pure random "I have enough mats to start the helmet, let´s do it" but I´m not really sure if it´s good for my weapons of choice (dual blades, hammer, switchblade). Any recommendations on what to build next? Or is it good enough to level it up until I reach higher HR? I am currently HR 2, doing 4 star quests in Moga Village.

Fistwell

I ended up with a Gobul set out of pure random "I have enough mats to start the helmet, let´s do it" but I´m not really sure if it´s good for my weapons of choice (dual blades, hammer, switchblade). Any recommendations on what to build next? Or is it good enough to level it up until I reach higher HR? I am currently HR 2, doing 4 star quests in Moga Village.
I have no clue what skills it has, but as a complement to the base leather set, you can certainly ride that till at least the end of low-rank. Once you get to HR3 (which is, what, a cple of keyQs and an urgent away?) you can farm easy starter high rank armor, which is gonna be a quantum leap in defence value.

Maybe using a shock trap on a B. Gigginox wasn't the best idea in the first place? That said, maybe you missed and/or some of the grenades didn't trigger (for whatever reasons)?

It occurred to me that it probably doesn't work on him afterwards but I'm fairly sure it was caught and I'm fairly sure I was throwing tranq grenades pretty much point blank. Unless the shakalakas were in the way which is a possibility.

beje

Banned
I have no clue what skills it has, but as a complement to the base leather set, you can certainly ride that till at least the end of low-rank. Once you get to HR3 (which is, what, a cple of keyQs and an urgent away?) you can farm easy starter high rank armor, which is gonna be a quantum leap in defence value.

According to a wiki I just checked:

Skills: Expert (+12), Swimming (+10), Eating (+10), Rec. Speed (-10)
Resistance:-10 Fire, 10 Water, -15 Thunder, 0 Ice, 5 Dragon

I guess I could add gems to negate the hindered recovery speed and improve resistances. I also have an Autoguard +10 accessory I really don´t know where did it come from and I guess it´s really helpful too.

Fistwell

According to a wiki I just checked:

Skills: Expert (+12), Swimming (+10), Eating (+10), Rec. Speed (-10)
Resistance:-10 Fire, 10 Water, -15 Thunder, 0 Ice, 5 Dragon

I guess I could add gems to negate the hindered recovery speed and improve resistances. I also have an Autoguard +10 accessory I really don´t know where did it come from and I guess it´s really helpful too.
Everyone receives that charm, but it's only usefull if you have a weapon capable of blocking (lance, SnS, GS). If you use dual blade or switchaxe, I wouldn't bother.

Getting rid of -rec speed shouldn't be a problem and is probably the first thing you want to do. I wouldn't worry about elemental resistances too much. You can always eat bread + I think veggie or something (picking one of the 4 cooking methods, you can get res to fire, water, thunder, or ice). Instead I'd focus on getting eating to 15 (gobble up pots and meat faster) or better yet expert to 15 or 20 (ups your crit rate).

Raide

Currently building the HR Jaggi armor. Nice to be able to quickly gem in Attack Up Large but I have still not found a really suitable Bow set. There seems to be way more suitable for normal Gunners and Blademasters. Really hard to pick out what actually benefits Bow users.

Ken

Currently building the HR Jaggi armor. Nice to be able to quickly gem in Attack Up Large but I have still not found a really suitable Bow set. There seems to be way more suitable for normal Gunners and Blademasters. Really hard to pick out what actually benefits Bow users.

marathon runner, x element up, load up , reload spd, shot type up maybe

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is it a bad idea to use bows or bowguns for solo play on the 3DS? I have read that they're great for group hunts because you shouldn't have the monster in your face and that they're good for status effect support. Haven't read much about people using them for solo play.

Raide

Is it a bad idea to use bows or bowguns for solo play on the 3DS? I have read that they're great for group hunts because you shouldn't have the monster in your face and that they're good for status effect support. Haven't read much about people using them for solo play.

Yes you can solo, it just means you have to keep moving constantly. Mobility is a large factor when playing Bow/Bowguns, as well as swapping your Ammo/Coatings at the right time.

The biggest issue seems to be that you have to get some good elemental weapons fairly early on to help you through some of the harder bosses. Without a good elemental weapon, the trapping/killing of Lagi can be really hard since you just don't output damage fast enough sometimes.

Not sure of my exact stats (will check them out) but I have been using Bow since I started Tri-U, just to see how viable they are.

Frodo

This game has taken over my life, and I still don't know what I'm doing.

I'm at work now, can't wait to get home to hunt some monsters... I wonder if some day I'll be the very best like no one ever was and hunt them all.

ramyeon

I have a feeling that my desire for that Helios Z armour isn't healthy, especially since Goldbeard Ceadeus is such a boring fight :( is it really hard to get the drops needed for the set?

Chuckpebble

There's nothing wrong with soloing bowgun, some monsters are much easier that way actually. Uragaan, Rathalos and Ceadeus come to mind. At least for low rank village, I haven't even had to combine ammo during a quest yet. Using light bowguns with a rapid fired element really stretches out your ammo. You just gotta be sure to have your money farm running full tilt so you can keep buying ammo.

As for "on 3DS" I'm assuming that you're referring to playing without the right analog. I'm no good with bow, but I've found that if you go into the options and change Quick Aim Camera to "Type 2 - The camera will not swing behind you." it's much easier to control.

Ken

I have a feeling that my desire for that Helios Z armour isn't healthy, especially since Goldbeard Ceadeus is such a boring fight :( is it really hard to get the drops needed for the set?

Helios X is better if you have a decent handicraft charm since it already has 4 points into Handicraft.

It occurred to me that it probably doesn't work on him afterwards but I'm fairly sure it was caught and I'm fairly sure I was throwing tranq grenades pretty much point blank. Unless the shakalakas were in the way which is a possibility.

You can definitely catch B. Gigginox in a shock trap.

Been playing lots of multiplayer with my friend. So goddamn fun.

It's the only game I've played where it's super fun to get sent flying by a monster. We were laughing our asses off as Diablos sent us flying 50 feet across the desert.

Still waiting for the game to get hard, though. I'm in HR Rank 5 in Single Player, and 3 in Multi. We've had a few troubles, but we still haven't died once yet after 100 hours each of playing. Hopefully soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom