• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

How does the ranking play into the online and offline aspects?

Thanks for the answers btw guys. Appreciate it.

There is a low rank and high rank campaign in moga village. That is the single player portion of the game.

The MP par has low, high and g-rank missions. That can also be played alone, it's going to be tougher than the standard campaign. That is also where you get your HR.

I have a EU room open in Free Play 3 Lobby 9 guys.

Fistwell

I've just been hearing how much better it is in multiplayer when I'll have to stick with singleplayer, and I'm wondering how the difficulty of the quests are scaled in singleplayer.
It's fine. Difficulty is more a function of your familiarity with the game and its gameplay, as well as your level of equipment compared to the level of quest you're tackling. If you know what you're doing and have reasonably decent equipment, most of the SP content is easy, MP quests with 2+ teamates are even easier.

If you're not familiar with the game, there's a fairly substancial learning curve. Competent teamates can still carry you through MP quests for the most part. Squishy teamates will be the end of you no matter your skill level.

Overall, MP is probably gonna feel easier than SP. It's also probably more fun. The main issue most (non-new) people have balance-wise with the game is that it's too easy.

Raide

Finally Ceadaus repelled! Had to grind some HR stuff to get better gear and still managed it when the 5 min timer popped up. Nice to have some HR Moga stuff available too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

This video is amazing.

GS
p0QHO.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For those just entering g-rank, some various random tips I thought of while driving to work this morning:

1. There are a LOT of HR6 key quests. And you can't even see most of them at first, but if you do one posted by someone else it will count as cleared. For example you can't see Jade Barroth or the Baleful Gigginox + Barioth key quests until you clear Barroth and Gigginox respectively.

2. The first thing you do upon hitting HR6 should be mining the fuck out of every gathering quest you can. Enduring charms are the best charm available, and you CAN get them before the volcano. But what you're really after is Hvy Armor Sphere. You can upgrade most high rank sets with those twice, and while you won't quite reach the g-rank armor defense levels you'll come damn close. My Nargacuga armor gained 80 defense in total which definitely helped - I have no trouble surviving hits from Rust Duramboros or Brachydios.

3. If you're the patient type with a high threshold for boredom, Gold Ceadeus is not very hard and his armor set is great. Just make sure you go in with decent defense and eat grain + vegetable for the defense/water resistance buff. Go back and progress the village storyline and do those canteen quests to upgrade your food, you will not regret it. But yeah with those precautions in place, bring lots of potions + honey to make more mega pots and even if you play like total garbage (like me, since I cannot into underwater combat) he will never ever kill you. Oh also you can do him as an HR5, but you can't make his armor until you get Conqueror Seals. You can get those as soon as you hit HR6 in the Jaggi/Volvidon and Baggi/Lagombi quad monster quests, which are easy. You might also need some regular Ceadeus stuff so go grind out those village quests if you haven't. Which you should have done anyways for the farm/food upgrades.

4. Extra monsters will crash your party all the time, and they will be jerks like Zinogre and Pink Rathian. Multiple monster key quests are common as well. Bring dung bombs and flash bombs - don't try to engage multiple monsters even if you think you're hot shit, especially if they are very different monsters who won't sync their attacks. Paintball both and flee until they seperate, farcaster if you have to. Even shit like Great Baggi becomes a threat in g-rank since he tends to spaz out in rage mode - I've seen him chomp out half my hp while I was in a recital, and since he doesn't knock you back he can continue to combo you.

Thanks for the tips.:)

Okay, so I'm working on getting Giggi X (I think, normal G Rank), and where the hell am I going to get a "Fey Wyvern Stone"? It's the only thing that I'm wondering where I'm going to get it.

Mupod

Okay, so I'm working on getting Giggi X (I think, normal G Rank), and where the hell am I going to get a "Fey Wyvern Stone"? It's the only thing that I'm wondering where I'm going to get it.

Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi, as far as I know it's the upgraded 'bird wyvern stone'. I have 3 of em and I wasn't even trying.

for future reference whenever I need something I just type the name into the gamefaqs board search bar. The brady guide has drop locations and such but it's annoying to use.

Fistwell

You get them in G rank kinda like you get wyvern stones in low and high rank, seemingly from monsters who don't have rubies/mantles. I think. They've been dropping like freakin candies for me. There's 2 kinds, fey and heavy or large or something. Not clear on who drops which with what rate, keep killing non-major things (quru, jaggi, wroggi, giggi, etc) and they'll drop.

Okay so they're from the bird wyverns. I got a Large Wyvern Stone farming Giggi G rank, and I was like what the hell. Not what I wanted haha.

I'm still trying to figure out why the Giggi armor always needs random crap for those guys. Very odd.

I might get the brady guide, screw not having info, even if it is kind of a pain.

panda21

So after moga village quests is it just the Tanzania quests? I just defeated lagi and unlocked the 5 star quests.

I was amazed when I discovered there are more areas beyond volcano, are those all in Tanzania?

So after moga village quests is it just the Tanzania quests? I just defeated lagi and unlocked the 5 star quests.

I was amazed when I discovered there are more areas beyond volcano, are those all in Tanzania?

Misty Peaks is actually in Moga High Rank, soooo....

Played quite a lot today since it's my final day of relative freedom

Managed to get most of the 6* quests done, did a few of 7 and that unlocked 8. I made the Sword and Shield from the demo and its boss (Nardebosche I think). Used that for the 2 Volvidon quest and I obliterated the both of them, didn't use any dung bombs just went back and forth like a boss. Only problem was it drops from blue sharpness after about 15s of consistent attacking :( It shouldn't be hard to upgrade but I'll have to fight HR Barioth a few times and he's an absolute maniac. I need to get into using barrel bombs, flash bombs and all that. I'm guessing they'd go a long way to improving my times.

Had the worst Rathalos fight in the 8* urgent quest. Fucking thing flew up, did his air routine with the fireballs, swooped in, landed AND TOOK OFF AGAIN STRAIGHT AWAY. That went on for roughly 20 minutes. Haven't been that infuriated playing this. God damn!

Regrettably, I can't continue to play this 5 hours a day any more. Now to piece my life back together

DaBoss

Continue playing, you're not even halfway through. :p

Had the worst Rathalos fight in the 8* urgent quest. Fucking thing flew up, did his air routine with the fireballs, swooped in, landed AND TOOK OFF AGAIN STRAIGHT AWAY. That went on for roughly 20 minutes. Haven't been that infuriated playing this. God damn!

Bows. That's my answer to that. :D

Rize_21

Kayamba has reached his max level!Cha-Cha is not far behind,if anyone is interested,I've given to Kayamba and ChaCha these dances :

Sometimes Attack boost becomes Bonus attack,Stamina and Health recovery can become more important too,I've always seen this happened when both of them weren't ko.Health recovery increase(+1 => +3)when it's under 50% of the life bar,it's hard to let go the mega potion's habit!

Mupod

Managed to get most of the 6* quests done, did a few of 7 and that unlocked 8. I made the Sword and Shield from the demo and its boss (Nardebosche I think). Used that for the 2 Volvidon quest and I obliterated the both of them, didn't use any dung bombs just went back and forth like a boss. Only problem was it drops from blue sharpness after about 15s of consistent attacking :( It shouldn't be hard to upgrade but I'll have to fight HR Barioth a few times and he's an absolute maniac. I need to get into using barrel bombs, flash bombs and all that. I'm guessing they'd go a long way to improving my times.

Once you get into g-rank, barrel bombs mostly become a waste of time since monster hp is so high and your weapons are so much stronger. But in high rank village they are still quite useful for things like breaking uragaan's chin or volvidon's back.

Flash bombs are a bit of a gamble, sometimes they just make the monster spin nonstop and you don't really get any openings as a melee user. Sometimes they spam taunt and you can go nuts. They are a great way to get a breather to sharpen or drop traps though, and of course they knock the Raths out of the air. Sonics are a must for Diablos if you don't want the fight to last all day but man screamers suck to farm. I haven't tried using a hunting horn with sonic waves yet but G black diablos is probably waaaaaaayyy too fast for me to get away with that.

watching a lot of videos of guys who play together really well
this game is a lot of fun when you have really good runs

I really hope it sells well in NA

Once you get into g-rank, barrel bombs mostly become a waste of time since monster hp is so high and your weapons are so much stronger. But in high rank village they are still quite useful for things like breaking uragaan's chin or volvidon's back.

Flash bombs are a bit of a gamble, sometimes they just make the monster spin nonstop and you don't really get any openings as a melee user. Sometimes they spam taunt and you can go nuts. They are a great way to get a breather to sharpen or drop traps though, and of course they knock the Raths out of the air. Sonics are a must for Diablos if you don't want the fight to last all day but man screamers suck to farm. I haven't tried using a hunting horn with sonic waves yet but G black diablos is probably waaaaaaayyy too fast for me to get away with that.

Yeah, I'll start integrating them in more. Up until now I've just been wailing on everything. Especially with that Rathalos fight I mentioned, I bet I could have shaved off 15 minutes from that fight if I could just hit the damn thing. Having to make all my equipment in HR is driving me broke. Barely have enough honey for Mega Potions now

Bows. That's my answer to that. :D

B
o
w
no

I was raging last night trying to capture a Royal Ludroth in the SP quest. I find it really hard to tell if he's ready to be capped when he's in the water most of the time. Even once out of the water he didn't appear to be tired or limping (in Area 12 of D Island) so I kept whacking him and killed him by accident.

What am I looking for? Did I just miss him limping? Should I just go for the cap once he gets to Area 12?

I really wish I could carry more shock traps...

Edit: I had already cut off his tail pretty early on, if that matters.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey LBG bros, I just got the Demons Island ... is that a good LBG for the 9 star Moga quests? If not, which ones do you recommend? I do enjoy using it, but I wonder if I could be killing things faster.

Set wise Im rocking the Wroggi set, but Im thinking the Narcaruga one is a clear improvement, thoghts?

I finally caved and bought this game...but now reading through this thread has scared me. So...much...to...learn!

Hopefully I'll see a few of you out there. My NNID is TheMarioLink :)

Mupod

Yeah, I'll start integrating them in more. Up until now I've just been wailing on everything. Especially with that Rathalos fight I mentioned, I bet I could have shaved off 15 minutes from that fight if I could just hit the damn thing. Having to make all my equipment in HR is driving me broke. Barely have enough honey for Mega Potions now

If you mine Uragaan's back when he falls over, you get these Lava Nugget things which convert to 1500 resources. And you get even more when you finish the quest. Honey ceases to be a problem at that point, assuming you maxed out the honey box and traded for some bizzy bees. Once you can spam the fishing fleet endlessly you get lots of trade goods for bees, shroom germ+ and bugmaker pro as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tri taught me how valuable Honey is so I've been collecting it like mad from the start and been using the farm for basically 95% Honey and now I have like 250+ Honeys in my box. Feels good man.

Doorman

I finally caved and bought this game...but now reading through this thread has scared me. So...much...to...learn!
There is a ton to learn, yes. Don't let that feel overly daunting, though, a lot of it is simply learned through experience and patience. Even people with hundreds of hours poured into previous games in the series constantly find new things to learn. It's a constant process!

also

Banned
I was raging last night trying to capture a Royal Ludroth in the SP quest. I find it really hard to tell if he's ready to be capped when he's in the water most of the time. Even once out of the water he didn't appear to be tired or limping (in Area 12 of D Island) so I kept whacking him and killed him by accident.

What am I looking for? Did I just miss him limping? Should I just go for the cap once he gets to Area 12?

I really wish I could carry more shock traps...

Edit: I had already cut off his tail pretty early on, if that matters.

When he goes to area 12, he is definitely ready for capture. He should have swam weirdly and continuously made a distinct sound, you probably just didn't notice it.
After he goes to area 12, wait a minute or so before following him so that he falls asleep. Then just place a trap above him and tranquillize him.

A great tip for capturing monsters is to bring dung bombs. When you think you have done enough damage (I judge it by the parts I have broken) throw them a dung bomb and see if they limp when they move to another area. Prevents accidental kills and wasted traps.
Also, if they start limping it's a good idea to wait for them to go to their ''sleep zone''. Sometimes they will briefly go to another zone and then quickly leave just as you have set down your trap and then you will have to dung bomb them and hope they return to the area you set the trap in. Different monsters sleep in different areas, so you will have to look that up or figure it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom