• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alrus

Is it a bad idea to use bows or bowguns for solo play on the 3DS? I have read that they're great for group hunts because you shouldn't have the monster in your face and that they're good for status effect support. Haven't read much about people using them for solo play.

I'm playing bow on my 3DS almost exclusively. Most monster so far have died in 10-15 minutes and I barely get hit anymore. Using the Rathian bow almost exclusively because the poison bonus is just too good and it has good charge and arc shots. Takes a little while to get used to the optimal distance for the arc shots but after some time you don't even need to use the aim feature at all (or only for very specific reasons). The only annoyance I have is that most Gunner sets (low rank at least) seem geared toward bowguns.

The only fights I tend to avoid bows are Lagiacrus, I generally suck at underwater fights and it's even worse with a bow (I can't seem to understand how the arc shot works underwater, it's really annoying).

ramyeon

I mean, if aesthetics is important for you than skills don't matter. Helios X just seems like a better investment than Water Atk +1.
Well Helios Z has 10 points into Handicraft already if I'm looking at it right. But you're right, if I went with Helios X I could get Destroyer instead of Water Atk +1.

Liethe

I mean, if aesthetics is important for you than skills don't matter. Helios X just seems like a better investment than Water Atk +1.
When isn't aesthetics important? >>

Also, you're comparing "investments" that are so vastly different it's not even funny. Z requires a couple Dark Dragongems. X requires a Dark, a Deep, FIVE Earth Dragongems, and a bunch of other stuff I forgot.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got all the ceadeus/gold furs I needed for selene x. Now just 5 earth dragongems and I'll be on my way to kelbi bow heaven.

Ken

When isn't aesthetics important? >>

Also, you're comparing "investments" that are so vastly different it's not even funny. Z requires a couple Dark Dragongems. X requires a Dark, a Deep, FIVE Earth Dragongems, and a bunch of other stuff I forgot.

Z to me just seems like a waste of resources. It's a nice way to get HG Earplus and Sharpness +1 easily and that's about it. Also, everyone seems to have it so...

I picked up 5 Earth Dragongems today off less than 5 H. Jhen haunts so I could now make a second Selene set.

Liethe

Z to me just seems like a waste of resources. It's a nice way to get HG Earplus and Sharpness +1 easily and that's about it. Also, everyone seems to have it so...
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. Using a few gems for an excellent armor set that will last you until the end of the game if you choose is what I call efficient usage of resources.

On the other hand, using tons of rares for Destroyer which is basically useless if you always break all monster parts without it anyway... seems a bit more wasteful. That's just me though.

You getting the gems off Hallowed Jhen is a bit of a moot point since goldbeard is the first G rank monster. You want his armor FOR G rank, not when you're almost done.

Ken

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. Using a few gems for an excellent armor set that will last you until the end of the game if you choose is what I call efficient usage of resources.

On the other hand, using tons of rares for Destroyer which is basically useless if you always break all monster parts without it anyway... seems a bit more wasteful. That's just me though.

You getting the gems off Hallowed Jhen is a bit of a moot point since goldbeard is the first G rank monster. You want his armor FOR G rank, not when you're almost done.

Destroyer and 4 points of Handicraft.

Also, if trying to get 5 of a 4% body carve is enough to scare one away from making an armor set, Monster Hunter probably won't be a great game for them.

Rize_21

Ceadeus Z= the clones war.I've made the Lagiacrus Z closed eyes...should have checked the talents,what a huge waste of ressources,sure it has the destroyer talent, which is really nice in solo play,but that's all...If there wasn't the charms,urgh.

Ken

Z has 10 points on Handicraft.

That's why I add on the "if you have a decent handicraft charm" when I suggest Helios X. You're getting Awaken and Partbreaker over Water Atk+1 if you go with X; it just takes a little more effort to get that Sharpness +1.

ijed

The only annoyance I have is that most Gunner sets (low rank at least) seem geared toward bowguns.

The only fights I tend to avoid bows are Lagiacrus, I generally suck at underwater fights and it's even worse with a bow (I can't seem to understand how the arc shot works underwater, it's really annoying).

Yeah the arc shot seems to just drop underwater... Does it even do the same damage?

Hit 6* and made the purple ludroth gunner set which has good status attack up and marathon runner - it's nice :)

Hey guys, anyone rocking the Nargacuga helmet Z? I want to craft it, but I have no clue where to get the 4 soft coats (not sure what it's called in English, it's the last material, orange coloured symbol).
Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

Hey guys, anyone rocking the Nargacuga helmet Z? I want to craft it, but I have no clue where to get the 4 soft coats (not sure what it's called in English, it's the last material, orange coloured symbol).
Any help would be appreciated.

Supple Piel

G rank Epioths and Uroktors.

Mupod

Are there people who have problems breaking parts? Destroyer just seems kind of a waste.

Certain monsters are much easier if you break a part early in the fight. Barioth's wings being the biggest example, but it's important to break Uragaan's chin ASAP because it takes much more damage afterwards.

Also as far as I know it causes straight up 30% additional damage to the parts before they're broken, so it could even be useful for something like Jhen.

I'm interested in Helios X but I'm not gonna worry about it until I have a g-rank weapon that can poop on Ceadeus. I didn't think of trying HBG, but I might give it a shot...crouching fire pierce would devastate him, I think.

Certain monsters are much easier if you break a part early in the fight.

Not just this, but as a GS user it takes me a lot longer to get to a monster and target a specific body part than it does to start chopping away at its underbelly. The faster the parts are broken and I can just concentrate on killing it, the faster the fight goes in general. For that reason I quite like destroyer.

rugioh

Banned
I just finished village LR and made it to HR3 online, and now I'm getting a bit tired of trying to get lobbies going with pubs. How can I go about playing in GAF lobbies? Which server does everyone usually frequent?

Fistwell

I'll be there !
Excellent!

I just finished village LR and made it to HR3 online, and now I'm getting a bit tired of trying to get lobbies going with pubs. How can I go about playing in GAF lobbies? Which server does everyone usually frequent?
NA or EU? You could add a bunch of people form the NNID list linked in the OP, then see who's online and join up their games. Not sure of details for NA, but Euro-GAF tends to hang out in Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 (or 7) > room name featuring "GAF" somewhere, e.g. "HIP-GAF," "Supa GAF," "BEST GAF," ...

rugioh

Banned
NA or EU? You could add a bunch of people form the NNID list linked in the OP, then see who's online and join up their games. Not sure of details for NA, but Euro-GAF tends to hang out in Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 (or 7) > room name featuring "GAF" somewhere, e.g. "HIP-GAF," "Supa GAF," "BEST GAF," ...

I'm on NA, but I'll take a look at the NNID list.

Salaadin

Anyone have any suggestions on good armor for a Great Sword user? Ive been told Rath+ for earplugs and Diablos for Crit Draw. I also saw Volvidon armor mentioned but I cant find any stats on that yet.

Kyzon

Yeah the arc shot seems to just drop underwater... Does it even do the same damage?

Hit 6* and made the purple ludroth gunner set which has good status attack up and marathon runner - it's nice :)

I use my bow perfectly fine underwater. I prefer blast ark underwater, but I will use focus and wide too. What you do is enter free aim, and point at an upward angle. You want the red ark ball/cone to be inside or over the monster, depending on which one you use. I put blast inside, and ark/wide right over. I really only miss using this technique if the monster starts charging around underwater.

Mondriaan

Is there a badge for s-ranking all the arena quests? The game also seems to track which weapons haven't been used for each arena quest as well. Does the game do anything when you've filled out all the weapons?

I should probably mention that in the PSP games, completing all weapons for all arena quests unlocked some quests.

Mupod

For those just entering g-rank, some various random tips I thought of while driving to work this morning:

1. There are a LOT of HR6 key quests. And you can't even see most of them at first, but if you do one posted by someone else it will count as cleared. For example you can't see Jade Barroth or the Baleful Gigginox + Barioth key quests until you clear Barroth and Gigginox respectively.

2. The first thing you do upon hitting HR6 should be mining the fuck out of every gathering quest you can. Enduring charms are the best charm available, and you CAN get them before the volcano. But what you're really after is Hvy Armor Sphere. You can upgrade most high rank sets with those twice, and while you won't quite reach the g-rank armor defense levels you'll come damn close. My Nargacuga armor gained 80 defense in total which definitely helped - I have no trouble surviving hits from Rust Duramboros or Brachydios.

3. If you're the patient type with a high threshold for boredom, Gold Ceadeus is not very hard and his armor set is great. Just make sure you go in with decent defense and eat grain + vegetable for the defense/water resistance buff. Go back and progress the village storyline and do those canteen quests to upgrade your food, you will not regret it. But yeah with those precautions in place, bring lots of potions + honey to make more mega pots and even if you play like total garbage (like me, since I cannot into underwater combat) he will never ever kill you. Oh also you can do him as an HR5, but you can't make his armor until you get Conqueror Seals. You can get those as soon as you hit HR6 in the Jaggi/Volvidon and Baggi/Lagombi quad monster quests, which are easy. You might also need some regular Ceadeus stuff so go grind out those village quests if you haven't. Which you should have done anyways for the farm/food upgrades.

4. Extra monsters will crash your party all the time, and they will be jerks like Zinogre and Pink Rathian. Multiple monster key quests are common as well. Bring dung bombs and flash bombs - don't try to engage multiple monsters even if you think you're hot shit, especially if they are very different monsters who won't sync their attacks. Paintball both and flee until they seperate, farcaster if you have to. Even shit like Great Baggi becomes a threat in g-rank since he tends to spaz out in rage mode - I've seen him chomp out half my hp while I was in a recital, and since he doesn't knock you back he can continue to combo you.

So, slime weapons. They seem to break parts much faster, especially when the explosion happens. Is that correct -- or is it all in my head?

Also, is the explosion randomized?

explodet

Zinogre loves to swat me around - he seems to target me predominantly.

Getting hit by multiple shooting star presses and somersault drops - I half expect to get elbow dropped one of these days.

DaBoss

So, slime weapons. They seem to break parts much faster, especially when the explosion happens. Is that correct -- or is it all in my head?

Also, is the explosion randomized?

Yea, because of the explosions it makes it faster. Explosions aren't randomized, it is dependent on the number of attacks you do and is indicated by the color of the slime when your weapon hits the monster.

Green -> Yellow -> Red -> EXPLOSION!

beje

Banned
This game is serious crack. I´m actually considering looking for a 3DS copy on the cheap so I can keep on hunting during the commute or workplace toilet visits.

Xater

Anybody have any idea how balanced the game is for solo play?

There is an entire solo campaign. So I don#t quite get the question.

Anyway, I am back from Vienna and I'm gonna try to play some online now. Got a new armor and weapon for the HR6 stuff. Things should work out better now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There is an entire solo campaign. So I don#t quite get the question.

Anyway, I am back from Vienna and I'm gonna try to play some online now. Got a new armor and weapon for the HR6 stuff. Things should work out better now.

I've just been hearing how much better it is in multiplayer when I'll have to stick with singleplayer, and I'm wondering how the difficulty of the quests are scaled in singleplayer.

Still trying to decide on this.

Xater

I've just been hearing how much better it is in multiplayer when I'll have to stick with singleplayer, and I'm wondering how the difficulty of the quests are scaled in singleplayer.

I probably spent most of my 107 hours offline alone. Now that I am G-Rank that is going to change. That's probably enough bang for your buck.

DaBoss

It's very balanced, and is a lot easier than Tri's single-player. Then there are the Tanzia single-player quests which are harder.

Speaking of that, can anyone say if the health/attack is the same online as it is solo for Tanzia quests?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I probably spent most of my 107 hours offline alone. Now that I am G-Rank that is going to change. That's probably enough bang for your buck.

How does the ranking play into the online and offline aspects?

Thanks for the answers btw guys. Appreciate it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of that, can anyone say if the health/attack is the same online as it is solo for Tanzia quests?
Attack is the same but health is scaled higher for online Tanzia for multiple players. Solo Tanzia has health scaled for single player - everything is completely doable, all content reasonably accessible solo.

Both are scaled higher than the village counterparts though.

Ridley327

Ranking only impacts the Tanzia Port aspect of the game; the Moga Village stuff is treated separately. Moga Village touches on a couple of G-Rank aspects in some of the last quests, but it doesn't go full-on with it.

DaBoss

So there are 2 kinds of single-player quests, Tanzia and Village quests.

Village quests are easier than Tanzia quests and consists of Low-Rank and High-Rank quests.

Tanzia quests are the more challenging of the 2 with increased attack and health. It consists of Low-Rank, High-Rank, and G-Rank quests.

Tanzia quests have a ranking system known as HR (Hunter Rank).

Attack is the same but health is scaled higher for online Tanzia for multiple players. Solo Tanzia has health scaled for single player - everything is completely doable, all content reasonably accessible solo.

Both are scaled higher than the village counterparts though.

OK, thanks.

RMI

Banned

Buy this game Antiwhippy. I've played mostly solo, and am still having a blast. The Moga Village quests are quite doable, and you might have difficulty with some of the Tanzia quests but like all things in Monster Hunter they can be overcome with research, strategy and preparation.

For example, the first time I went to fight Agnaktor, i went in blind with just my rimeblade longsword, figuring he would be weak to ice (which he is a bit) but the dude worked me over. I wasn't familiar with his attack patterns, and the long sword seemed to not be the best weapon for fighting him. I took some time to hunt for materials for the vodyanoy hammer which does water damage, and went back prepared. It was a tough fight, took me nearly 45 minutes, but at the end I was victorious and very satisfied. That's how Monster Hunter works.

It's definitely easier with help, but my friend who i mainly play online with is 3 hours time difference from me, so mostly I go it solo and it is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom