• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 100 hours playing solo on 3DS and I got to HR8 quests in the village just last night. I'm still HR1 though as I've only messed around with a few HR1 quests in port Tanzia (playing solo of course).

I'm having a blast and after getting smacked around in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (on my Vita with double analog sticks even) I've found the difficulty in MH3U to be very lenient. Like, I've only carted a handful of times and the only quests I've "failed" the first time I tried them were the two big monster/setpiece hunts (Ceadeus and Jhen Moran) and Duramboros (I forgot to bring shock trap and tranqs with me, and I just couldn't whittle his health down in time to kill him before the end of the quest).

I wouldn't call the game easy though - my "training" in playing MHFU for 100 hours I think has certainly helped in MH3U, but even then there have been a couple of quests I've only just barely completed in time.

EDIT: It could be just me but I swear the hit boxes and overall game experience is better in MH3U than MHFU. I would say that MH3U is more "fair" than "easier" than MHFU if that makes sense? It might just be my prior experience with MHFU but MH3U just "feels" less BS than MHFU could often times be like - especially with certain monster/weapon combos (Khetzu and Tigrex, I'm looking at you!).

DaBoss

About to face Ceadeus for the first time. Any tips?

Go for the beard in the beginning (Area 1 & 2). If you don't break it, then you will fail the quest by the time you get to the end of Area 2.

Trade with the Argosy so you have 10 UW Ballistas in your item pouch at the start of the quest and you don't have to gather. Use the underwater guns for the ballistas and aim for the left horn. That can break and give you 2 carves.

At some point, Ceadeus will end up swimming far away and go deeper. At this point, go to this thing, it is called the Dragonator:
gJOoASL.jpg

You want to be waiting like this:

When it nears the spikes, press the 'A' button and it will do a lot of damage.

EDIT: It looks like I gave you too much help lol.

EDIT: It could be just me but I swear the hit boxes and overall game experience is better in MH3U than MHFU. I would say that MH3U is more "fair" than "easier" than MHFU if that makes sense? It might just be my prior experience with MHFU but MH3U just "feels" less BS than MHFU could often times be like - especially with certain monster/weapon combos (Khetzu and Tigrex, I'm looking at you!).

They fixed the hitboxes in MHTri.

About to face Ceadeus for the first time. Any tips?

Yeah, what I call the "setpiece" fights in this game with the huge monsters are kind of fun in their own way but they are also not nearly as exciting as fighting regular monsters. They are boringly epic I guess. :)

Anyway, although I suggest you NOT do this with other monsters the first time you fight them you may wish to look at a guide before facing Ceadeus, unless you really want to experience it all by yourself the first time. Just don't be surprised if you fail the first time if you go into this all by yourself without firstr consulting a guide. I guess it depends on if you want to experience it all by yourself the first time or just want to get it over with. Below are my guidelines in spoiler view if you want to know what to do:

1) The fight is broken up into two separate quests. In the first quest you start at base camp in a new (and simplified but big) map. Jump down into area 1 and you will start swimming along with Ceadeus. The goal of this part of the quest is to simply do as much damage as you possibly can to it and the best way to do this is to concentrate attacks on its beard. Once you've broken his "beard" then Ceadeus will swiftly swim to area 3, knock down a wall, and then the second part of the quest will start. If you dont' do enough damage in time then it will tell you that you failed. Restarting the quest will start all over again. You swim along with Ceadeus until you both get to area 3, doing damage to him the whole time. He will react at times and hurt you but you shouldn't die - especially if your Shakalaka kids have their dances set to healing. Also one of the kids needs to wear the ancient mask. Watch your health and your oxygen supply.

2) The second part of the quest is repeatable, meaning you can keep coming back to it until you successfully repel him. This part of the quest is where you basically swim over to a couple of ballistae, grab ammo nearby, and shoot at Ceadeus - concentrating mostly on his horns. The goal of this part of the quest is to break one of his horns. When he is close to the underwater ruins there is the Dragonator which is a giant spike weapon with a logn recharge time (like 10 or 15 minutes). The Dragonator is the best weapon to use as much as you can but he needs to be close to the building and right in front of it or you will waste it. Just lead him over to it and then hit the button nearby to launch it. Switch back to the ballistae while waiting for the Dragonator to recharge. If you run out of ballista bolts then just hit him in the face with your weapon of choice.

ryz

I have a question about elemental resistances. My Los armor has -15 Dragon for example; Does this mean that every Dragon (like Rathalos, Rathian, etc.) will do more damage to me? Or is it a special attack type?

Also, will normal attacks from, e.g. a Fire monster like Agnaktor do more damage or only his "special fire attacks"?

I have a question about elemental resistances. My Los armor has -15 Dragon for example; Does this mean that every Dragon (like Rathalos, Rathian, etc.) will do more damage to me? Or is it a special attack type?

Also, will normal attacks from, e.g. a Fire monster like Agnaktor do more damage or only his "special fire attacks"?
Yep, means wyverns doll out more DMG as a whole

Thanks for the tips guys. I've had experience fighting Jhen Mohran in Portable 3rd but wasn't sure how that was going to translate into this fight. I'll try my hand at it.

Raide

Bleh. Brachydios sucks. Failed the quest 4 times because he either rocks me with rage punches, or I run out of time. Some really dumb deaths as well, like monsters nudging me into the path. Sometimes this game annoys the hell out of me when it does shitty things. Quitting for the night I think.

Dragon, like fire or water is an elemental type that certain types of attacks inflict.

blackflag

So tired of going into rooms that say "HR5--->6" or "HR Key" or something similar, then I go in the room and they want to farm high rank querepeco....

Stuff like that keeps happening to me.

Jaruru

WHAT?

was doing Diablo, 2 players sudden exited. we managed to cap the mob, quest completed, but then my Wii U freezes?!??!!?!?

weird sound from TV, screen frozen. what happened???

Good lord, just got my first hard lock on Wii U just when we were about to trap Deviljho. I never heard such an obnoxious sound in my life... Had to pull the plug for it to stop.

windfish

Good hunts in Selenae and Faust room, 0 deaths! Weird...
Yeah I heard the story in game :p

haha thx for the edit ;)
was a great evening with you guys! i just checked and its also just one last quest left before my urgent :D
guess this will need to wait a little bit, but at least i got my flutterbug, those are so rare >_<

Ryuuga

Banned
Put me in the hard lock camp. I just got a freeze attempting to make a game with a friend. The performance was noticeably worse for a short period then it froze.

Can't they at least warn you some minutes in advance that the servers are going down? instead its: Screen freezes and demonic sound screeches from tv...

Jaruru

Can't they at least warn you some minutes in advance that the servers are going down? instead its: Screen freezes and demonic sound screeches from tv...

EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYYY

pressed/held the power button didn't resolve it. had to pull the power plug

ANGRYYYYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom