• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

They really need to incorporate some sort of "Online Servers will be shutting down for maintenance in _ minutes" warning.

I feel bad for those on an urgent quest. :(

So I should look forward to the servers being down when I get home from the gym?

Fuck off fuckers, I've been looking forward to play this all day.

this reminds me of a question I had \\ Are Tri servers still up from that Wii game?

I am just wondering how many years I can grind this game out before the fun ends

Lol, you really are unlucky with online hunts.
DC and servers down, yay!

Tonight was the night I complete the goldbeard set, upgrade sphere the shit out of it then start tacking g rank without being as useful as a chocolate fucking teapot.

Not only that, I went into work at 6am, to be told they forgot to tell me I was on backshift, so I've went too long without having MH injected directly into my veins.

Not even joking, I'm slightly upset.

DaBoss

Any tips for HR brachydios? Currently wearing the Los armor and a LS (Barbarian Blade). Is my equipment to weak?

Try upgrading your LS to a Barbarian "Sharq". That is the weapon I use to face Brachydios. It has a lot of blue sharpness, which I consider very helpful. You should upgrade your armor to max to get higher defense.

Ken

Any tips for HR brachydios? Currently wearing the Los armor and a LS (Barbarian Blade). Is my equipment to weak?

You dodge his stuff. That's about it.

He has a few animations and recovery after attacks where you can go in, notably when he licks his hands repeatedly (and doesn't follow up with the jump pound), and also after a jump pound he stays still for a second or two.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really dislike fighting underwater. I am so glad it will be gone with MH4.

I hate underwater fights. I just did the blowfish and I just found out I need another paralysis sac off him if I want to upgrade my axe. I am going to put it off as long as I can. Maybe, if I'm lucky, something else also drops that sac.

I can see why they thought underwater fights would be cool, but they are just a pain in my ass.

Kouriozan

I agree, underwater fight are slow and boring, and I have trouble moving the camera/swimming where I want.
Glad that MH4 won't have it.

ryz

Try upgrading your LS to a Barbarian "Sharq". That is the weapon I use to face Brachydios. It has a lot of blue sharpness, which I consider very helpful. You should upgrade your armor to max to get higher defense.

Will upgrade my armor, thanks! But i don't have access to a G. Agnaktor to upgrade my LS :/

You dodge his stuff. That's about it.

He has a few animations and recovery after attacks where you can go in, notably when he licks his hands repeatedly (and doesn't follow up with the jump pound), and also after a jump pound he stays still for a second or two.

Yeah, but i usually run out of time. Hm.

Thoraxes

I'll post this gif for you guys:
135766970078sdluj.gif

Pleeeeaaaassseeeeee

I actually really like underwater fighting, at least as a concept. Perhaps it just can't work in a game without a hard lock on, but it always felt like 2 or 3 tweaks from being really freaking cool to me. Honestly if the swimming speed were improved, that'd have fixed a lot of it, but the camera was the other hell.
Well I mean it is cool, but cool and not a pain in the ass for the Ceadeus fight, which was the only time I genuinely hated it.

I actually really like underwater fighting, at least as a concept. Perhaps it just can't work in a game without a hard lock on, but it always felt like 2 or 3 tweaks from being really freaking cool to me. Honestly if the swimming speed were improved, that'd have fixed a lot of it, but the camera was the other hell.
Well I mean it is cool, but cool and not a pain in the ass for the Ceadeus fight, which was the only time I genuinely hated it.

Yeah, I don't LOVE the underwater fights but 3DS with CPP really really helps take a lot of the frustration out of it. Fighting Plesioth underwater in the demo without CPP support really sucked. I couldn't imagine having to navigate underwater just using the virtual dpad.

DaBoss

I'll be honest, I don't mind underwater combat at all. I only hate Lagiacrus underwater since it seems to like to get me stunned a lot only when I'm underwater.

rugioh

Banned
Anyone want to help me out with some HR3 quests? Particularly I would like to farm HR3 Jaggi quest for bird wyvern gem.

I didn't realise how much tougher the monsters in Village high rank hit! I did okay with Royal Ludroth and Rathian, but I carted all 3 times against Rathalos. The fireballs aren't the problem, it's his charges, they take a ton of health. ;~; I want new Rathalos armor though, so I guess I'll just need to suck it up.

Bear

Yeah, I don't LOVE the underwater fights but 3DS with CPP really really helps take a lot of the frustration out of it. Fighting Plesioth underwater in the demo without CPP support really sucked. I couldn't imagine having to navigate underwater just using the virtual dpad.

The virtual dpad is fine on land, used in conjunction with the lock-on and the physical dpad I've never had any trouble, but it's awful underwater. Even after farming several aquatic monsters (20+ underwater battles at least), it still feels clunky and I have trouble with it every now and then.

Easily the thing I miss most about using the classic controller pro in Tri, where I genuinely enjoyed underwater battles. I'll probably have to pick up a CPP in the future.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The virtual dpad is fine on land, used in conjunction with the lock-on and the physical dpad I've never had any trouble, but it's awful underwater. Even after farming several aquatic monsters (20+ underwater battles at least), it still feels clunky and I have trouble with it every now and then.

Easily the thing I miss most about using the classic controller pro in Tri, where I genuinely enjoyed underwater battles. I'll probably have to pick up a CPP in the future.

Honestly I'm playing on a WiiU and it's still pretty clunky. I feel like there should be an option to switch the attack and dodge buttons to the triggers while underwater, it would make the whole thing feel a lot smoother. Like X would the the right trigger and B the left. A and the + button could be mapped to the bumpers.

That would probably be too hard to program in, but not needing to constantly move your thumbs from the right stick to the attack and dodge buttons would sure as hell make the whole thing a lot more bearable.

beje

Banned
I'm starting to like the switch axe a lot more every time I use it. If you manage to position yourself properly, it's basically an infinite combo that will manage to break the monster attacks a lot of the times and allows you to correct your position to keep on hitting.

Also, memorable moment of the evening: some whacko picked up a Rathian + Rathalos mission and I managed to stun both at the same time with a hammer charge because they were ganging up against one team mate with the head in the same position.

Fuck me, this game. I bought it on a whim a few day ago thinking I would play it for a couple of hours and then shelve it. 30 hours later here I am.

Monster Hunter is sooo fucking good. It has the potential to be successful in the west too, Capcom just needs to do a better job of easing new players into the game's complicated mechanics. I mean shit, I had like 15 hours played before I figured out how to make an online game. lol.

Sucks so bad that MH4 is 3DS-only. =/ I bought MH3U for 3DS today and don't really like it. Underwater combat is a FUCK without a second analog stick. I guess I could import an XL CPP, but shit...

beje

Banned
Sucks so bad that MH4 is 3DS-only.

I'm pretty sure the game got delayed to Summer in order to accommodate a Wii U version for cross-play from day one after a nice money bag from Nintendo. They share the same engine (MT Framework mobile) which is already up and running and the only differences between versions now that the 3DS version is supposed to be online too are model and texture detail so it's basically free money in exchange.

blackflag

Fuck me, this game. I bought it on a whim a few day ago thinking I would play it for a couple of hours and then shelve it. 30 hours later here I am.

Monster Hunter is sooo fucking good. It has the potential to be successful in the west too, Capcom just needs to do a better job of easing new players into the game's complicated mechanics. I mean shit, I had like 15 hours played before I figured out how to make an online game. lol.

Sucks so bad that MH4 is 3DS-only. =/ I bought MH3U for 3DS today and don't really like it. Underwater combat is a FUCK without a second analog stick. I guess I could import an XL CPP, but shit...

I'm really glad more people are giving it a shot this time. I think they'd do even better selling it to the west if they could put together a competent demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom