• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrCobra

I agree, underwater fight are slow and boring, and I have trouble moving the camera/swimming where I want.
Glad that MH4 won't have it.

I love underwater fights. They are sometimes a little more difficult but the added dimension makes them interesting.

Caedeus is quite boring, Jhen Mohran mostly as well, Alatreon was just a very long sleep-bomb marathon the few times I fought him. I don't think I'd miss those if they were gone, but underwater fights are great.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad more people are giving it a shot this time. I think they'd do even better selling it to the west if they could put together a competent demo.
IMO they'll never be able to showcase the merits of MH through a short demo. Not only is the learning curve going to take hours for new players, but they would also have to allow for the finding of materials and crafting of armors/weapons, which is half the fun.

They should really go all out and make a demo that contains the village hub, and maybe 2 locations with 2-3 quests each, ranging from small monsters to big ones, and the ability to craft 1 or 2 sets of armor/weapons using parts from those monsters. Add in online multiplayer on the demo as well and then people could really get a taste of what the game's about.

tengiants

I'm really glad more people are giving it a shot this time. I think they'd do even better selling it to the west if they could put together a competent demo.

Seriously. They need to take a note from Etrian Odyssey IV's demo and just make the demo the single * quests. I guess people might abuse farming items at D. Island without paying for the game... but who cares?

DaBoss

Seriously. They need to take a note from Etrian Odyssey IV's demo and just make the demo the single * quests. I guess people might abuse farming items at D. Island without paying for the game... but who cares?

This so much. Would be the be the best thing to happen for the series.

Just made a room in free 3 lobby 9 called GAF help. Password is the usual. My character is named Axel.

I am free to help any and all low to high rank people clear some quests or kill some monsters whose parts they really need.

If multiple people come in, we start taking turns. I'm free for a little under 2 hours

blackflag

IMO they'll never be able to showcase the merits of MH through a short demo. Not only is the learning curve going to take hours for new players, but they would also have to allow for the finding of materials and crafting of armors/weapons, which is half the fun.

They should really go all out and make a demo that contains the village hub, and maybe 2 locations with 2-3 quests each, ranging from small monsters to big ones, and the ability to craft 1 or 2 sets of armor/weapons using parts from those monsters. Add in online multiplayer on the demo as well and then people could really get a taste of what the game's about.

Something like this. They need to capture the carving/reward/upgrade forging aspect of it.

blackflag

Just made a room in free 3 lobby 9 called GAF help. Password is the usual. My character is named Axel.

I am free to help any and all low to high rank people clear some quests or kill some monsters whose parts they really need.

If multiple people come in, we start taking turns. I'm free for a little under 2 hours

What hr are you?

Fewr

Fuck me, this game. I bought it on a whim a few day ago thinking I would play it for a couple of hours and then shelve it. 30 hours later here I am.

Monster Hunter is sooo fucking good. It has the potential to be successful in the west too, Capcom just needs to do a better job of easing new players into the game's complicated mechanics. I mean shit, I had like 15 hours played before I figured out how to make an online game. lol.

Sucks so bad that MH4 is 3DS-only. =/ I bought MH3U for 3DS today and don't really like it. Underwater combat is a FUCK without a second analog stick. I guess I could import an XL CPP, but shit...
I like this thing so much it has become a system seller to me. If it were released on vita, ouya, whatever, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Btw, those bradygames guys should have a printed version of their guide, they're missing out on getting money.

Fuck me, this game. I bought it on a whim a few day ago thinking I would play it for a couple of hours and then shelve it. 30 hours later here I am.

Monster Hunter is sooo fucking good. It has the potential to be successful in the west too, Capcom just needs to do a better job of easing new players into the game's complicated mechanics. I mean shit, I had like 15 hours played before I figured out how to make an online game. lol.

Sucks so bad that MH4 is 3DS-only. =/ I bought MH3U for 3DS today and don't really like it. Underwater combat is a FUCK without a second analog stick. I guess I could import an XL CPP, but shit...

Playing exclusively on the 3DS, I'm amped for MH4 and the addition of online.
The CPP solves the swimming issue so I just do those quests when I'm home rather than on the train.

Got really lucky last night doing the powderstone 5* quest and didn't bump into the chin monster on either egg run :D

vareon

Man, I thought I was so close of getting Uragaan S armor. Turns out I need 5 more Scale+ and fighting these guys take a long time :[

DaBoss

Man, I thought I was so close of getting Uragaan S armor. Turns out I need 5 more Scale+ and fighting these guys take a long time :[

Send out some hunters using Hunters for Hire. I find that Steel Uragaan to be a common monster in Hunters for Hire.

L Thammy

Siren's Song is a pretty cool quest. It reminds me of an arcade game for some reason. You can kill up to five Quropecos. You'll still complete the quest if you don't do it in time. But you're also constantly hounded by a bigger, badder green guy.

Was going to say something similar. Plus, the 2 star quest for fighting the G. Jaggi including being able to farm him and craft his armor. Then do something to show many of the other monsters you can fight or add another easy 2 star monster hunting quest after G. Jaggi like Arzuros but don't let the player repeat that particular quest over and over again - end the demo on a highlight...

That way the demo acts as the tutorial and who cares if the player wants to continually fight G. Jaggi over and over again - by that point the game either has its claws (pun intended) in you or not...

L Thammy

Doesn't Monster Hunter 4 get rid of underwater battles?

Sadly yes. But subquests as back!

The demo was fantastic for people who knew what they were doing. It's an easy way to play around with new weapons.
They should not do tutorial quests because that misrepresents the game. People would get bored. What they should have done was integrated the tutorial into the demo.
Have text boxes show up like in the earlier quests, but explain almost everything.

Oh no, I took a break from MonHun for a week and now everybody is better than me. I only just killed my Purple Ludroth. Now no one will ever want to play with me ;_;

Underwater battles suck so much, especially Plesioth. Had to fight it that way because I forgot to bring any frogs

It's so freaking fast and its charge attack has a deceptively wide hitbox.

Alex

GOOD RIDDANCE.

Silly reboot where 75% of the content and multiple weapons are shelved for no reason repealed? Done!

Awkward water combat that adheres to nothing in the combat engine put out to pasture? Soon.... They've def avoided it in 3G, almost nothing was added onto it. Hell, I can't believe they didn't do SOMETHING with Hermitaur

It's been fun to watch all the goofball original design elements of vanilla Tri melt away when they failed to catch on and everyone just went back to MH2G.

Of course, nothing is proper until Kut Ku is back.

Fewr

I'm playing on a small 3DS with no CPP. My hands hurt a lot because of how tense battles can sometimes get. I'll get an XL next time I see a discount.

Alex

can any gaffers help me get some dragonblood of jhen, I just can't figure out how to kill or repel him whatsoever...

I just did all mine offline, personally. I always liked his armor a lot so I always make it a point to waste my time on him.

I'll help ya out if you need me though. Name a room and stuff and people will likely come.

L Thammy

That explains why Plesioth was featured so much in the 3G's Japanese press. They were showing how they turned they've back on water combat.

:p

Actually, for a third gen kiddie like me, I'm hoping 4 brings back a few old monsters. Very happy to see Khezu. Hopefully they'll be a Khezu+Gigginox quest.

First foray into the Monster Hunter franchise, and here I am 46 hours in and completely obsessed. *sigh* :(

I guess I can't say that my CPP XL import was wasted, heh.

I feel like I'm going too slow, though. I'm only on Rank 4 at the moment, mostly focusing on finishing equipment sets and getting resources/commodities. :B

Fewr

First foray into the Monster Hunter franchise, and here I am 46 hours in and completely obsessed. *sigh* :(

I feel like I'm going too slow, though. I'm only on Rank 4 at the moment, mostly focusing on finishing equipment sets and getting resources/commodities. :B

lol I've spent 80hrs and I'm about to finish the 5 star moga village missions.

Hattori

Banned
I just did all mine offline, personally. I always liked his armor a lot so I always make it a point to waste my time on him.

I'll help ya out if you need me though. Name a room and stuff and people will likely come.

ok, just made a room "jhen farm" so come help if you got the time

Mupod

HR6 can't handle us

when all else fails spam traps

I can actually make the maxed out brachy DS right now. Purple sharpness at last! on a weapon that just gets me killed every time I try to use it...

urng time to pass out need to get up early.

Alex

That explains why Plesioth was featured so much in the 3G's Japanese press. They were showing how they turned they've back on water combat.

:p

Actually, for a third gen kiddie like me, I'm hoping 4 brings back a few old monsters. Very happy to see Khezu. Hopefully they'll be a Khezu+Gigginox quest.

True! But really, Ples has about as much actual water combat in him as he did in 1 & 2. It's absurdly token. They spent more time removing creatures from water in 3G than anything. I don't think they're turning their back on it, but I think they know it grants a mixed reaction and isn't a good focal point for the series. Water and swimming should be in token areas and elements only.

Although I'll say I was really annoyed at the Golden Ceadeus. Ceadeus absolutely sucks, does anyone like fighting him? Put a Shen Gaoren in an underwater temple and make something fun, you lazies. (I am a big fan of the overwrought battles like Lao, Shen, Jhen, etc)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I'm at 45 hours and still HR1, lol. Just been experimenting with different weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom