• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hn6mS05.jpg

ijkE3QRE5qSeX.gif

Had tons of fun tonight, thanks guys!

Ridley327

I think that everyone that helped out with Mupod's HR6 urgent managed to get a Brachydios Pallium from a carve, so that was awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is a Lagiacrus GS enough to break Ceadeus' beard? Don't wanna have to make a whole new LS from scratch or something. =/

Ultratech

We major, we major!

Tomorrow, we shall enjoy the splendors of HR7, and start whacking away at Diablos.

I'd love to as well...can't find HR6 rooms to save my life.

Either they're all full, or I can't trust them to not die.

G-Rank is pretty busy, but not with what I need.

that hard??? Just don't take your minions with you, use a SnS, hit twice, and then spear....no?

Nothing of that sort. I managed to carved at least 4-5 sharks each time I was in area 11...and I still had to restart the mission 3-4 times. So I probably carved like about 20 sharks before getting a sharqskin.

To be perfectly honest, I've just about reached the point where I'm getting bored with the game. Maybe because I'm only able to play solo, but the game is really becoming dull in its repetitiveness. I'm really losing interest in more or less doing the same 20-30 minute battle over and over. All I really do is swap out element types and charge some big guy, staying on top of him mashing vertical attack and dodging. All the enemies have the same basic patterns. Double tail swipe or body rush at close range, arc sweep at mid range, tackle or projectile at long range. Get angry. Limp to sleep time.

It feels like I'm not doing anything new, and worse, I'm at the point in the game where I'm ostensibly forced to grind for levels. With my current weapons, I could maybe kill a Deviljho in 35 minutes if I made a lot of good reads with Spirit attacks. I don't need to use many items and I've never failed a quest, but I'm being bottlenecked by my unwillingness to grind out battles to get parts. The multiple-monster online quests can take me 40 minutes to solo, and I just know that the next couple ranks will be borderline impossible to finish in the time limit.

Maybe I just played too much this weekend, but I'm really considering stopping playing for at least a month or two.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If my armor has -Thunder and my blade has +Thunder, do they cancel eachother out?

(Rath armor + Lagi blade)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53221542]To be perfectly honest, I've just about reached the point where I'm getting bored with the game. Maybe because I'm only able to play solo, but the game is really becoming dull in its repetitiveness. I'm really losing interest in more or less doing the same 20-30 minute battle over and over. All I really do is swap out element types and charge some big guy, staying on top of him mashing vertical attack and dodging. All the enemies have the same basic patterns. Double tail swipe or body rush at close range, arc sweep at mid range, tackle or projectile at long range. Get angry. Limp to sleep time.

It feels like I'm not doing anything new, and worse, I'm at the point in the game where I'm ostensibly forced to grind for levels. With my current weapons, I could maybe kill a Deviljho in 35 minutes if I made a lot of good reads with Spirit attacks. I don't need to use many items and I've never failed a quest, but I'm being bottlenecked by my unwillingness to grind out battles to get parts. The multiple-monster online quests can take me 40 minutes to solo, and I just know that the next couple ranks will be borderline impossible to finish in the time limit.

Maybe I just played too much this weekend, but I'm really considering stopping playing for at least a month or two.[/QUOTE]Learn a new weapon, or three. I'm in the same solo boat as you, but I've been playing the portable entries since mhf, so I kind of forced myself to switch up weapon selection every game or I'd be bored too.

So far I've used LS and GS for all the early village stuff, hammered my way through high rank and up to G rank tanzia, then added gunlance for G rank and endgame, with a little lancing for certain enemies. Now I'm making a bow set to farm HRP until I unlock the final few monsters. The weapon/playstyle variety really helps keep it fresh, even if the monsters get dull.

Planning on getting good with dual swords as well once I unlock abyss lagi armor because learning a monster in and out and playing like this looks fun, doesn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmujtHYDGVA&t=0m25s

If my armor has -Thunder and my blade has +Thunder, do they cancel eachother out?

(Rath armor + Lagi blade)

Lagi Blade does additional thunder damage, the -thunder on your armor is a decreased resistance so you take more thunder damage from enemies.

Nothing to do with each other really

Learn a new weapon, or three. I'm in the same solo boat as you, but I've been playing the portable entries since mhf, so I kind of forced myself to switch up weapon selection every game or I'd be bored too.

So far I've used LS and GS for all the early village stuff, hammered my way through high rank and up to G rank tanzia, then added gunlance for G rank and endgame, with a little lancing for certain enemies. Now I'm making a bow set to farm HRP until I unlock the final few monsters. The weapon/playstyle variety really helps keep it fresh, even if the monsters get dull.

Planning on getting good with dual swords as well once I unlock abyss lagi armor because learning a monster in and out and playing like this looks fun, doesn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmujtHYDGVA&t=0m25s

I've used, Long Sword, Greatsword, Hunting Horn, Dual Swords and Sword and Shield. I like HH the best but Long Swords have been more available to me so I use them the most. I'd really rather be using a bow, but I don't want to make new armor and I worry about the time issue and breaking body parts.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53224725]I've used, Long Sword, Greatsword, Hunting Horn, Dual Swords and Sword and Shield. I like HH the best but Long Swords have been more available to me so I use them the most. I'd really rather be using a bow, but I don't want to make new armor and I worry about the time issue and breaking body parts.[/QUOTE]
If you're not having fun, don't play. 'Tis simple.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53224725]I've used, Long Sword, Greatsword, Hunting Horn, Dual Swords and Sword and Shield. I like HH the best but Long Swords have been more available to me so I use them the most. I'd really rather be using a bow, but I don't want to make new armor and I worry about the time issue and breaking body parts.[/QUOTE]

You hit the motivation wall and i totally understand it. Even with online, i hit it at something like 350 hours in Tri. I ran out of things i wanted to build. Sets for specific monsters or scenarios. There is a ton more content in Ultimate, but without online to make the grind much much faster, i can understand where you are at.

Neki

ugh, these higher hr quests are so annoying solo, I get knocked down by a random tail, get back up and it charges me, then I'm stunned and he hits me again, down to 10% hp.

happens every single time.

Question:
Why do people say bows are especially good for dealing status damage in comparison to guns? It actually seems like my gun can carry more poison rounds than my bow can. I played a lot of Tri, but I'm having trouble understanding the "roles" some of these new weapons are meant to play. DS is clearly meant for elemental DPS (Archdemon Mode doesn't help status damage, right?), but I don't get what the Bow is for in comparison to the Bowgun, nor what the Gunlance is for (especially since shots don't scale with sharpness).

Any thoughts from people with a lot of knowledge about the entire weapon set?

ugh, these higher hr quests are so annoying solo, I get knocked down by a random tail, get back up and it charges me, then I'm stunned and he hits me again, down to 10% hp.

happens every single time.
"Random" tail.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53225307]Yeah, I'm gonna go back to Lunatic mode Fire Emblem and learning Dr. Strange. But mostly I need a break because finals are coming up. Might just disappear again for a while.[/QUOTE]

find or convince even a single person IRL to play with you though, and you can be sure the addiction will last a lot longer.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Question:
Why do people say bows are especially good for dealing status damage in comparison to guns? It actually seems like my gun can carry more poison rounds than my bow can. I played a lot of Tri, but I'm having trouble understanding the "roles" some of these new weapons are meant to play. DS is clearly meant for elemental DPS (Archdemon Mode doesn't help status damage, right?), but I don't get what the Bow is for in comparison to the Bowgun, nor what the Gunlance is for (especially since shots don't scale with sharpness).

More hits per shot via scatter/pierce to activate the status effect faster. Also bows can have innate status elements without the need for coatings.

Archdemon mode on the DS does the same thing, more hits in a shorter amount of time = more element/status damage doled out compared to say a GS with element/status. Gunlance playstyle/moveset is quite different from lance and focuses more on bigger damage with slower hits compared to the lance's faster pokes and lower damage + countering.

Question:

All I know is that Long Sword seems specifically incentivized to teach people bad habits. I think a lot of tools could be changed based on player habits and understanding, but there isn't much Capcom seems interested in changing so it's moot.

Neki

Question:

Better safe than sorry.

"Random" tail.

hey, I avoid all that other shit they throw, and I get hit by the tail for like 2 damage, and then it chains into all my health because of the drawn out animations. I don't mind losing a lot of health to other things, but constantly getting hit when I'm getting up is the worst design.

hey, I avoid all that other shit they throw, and I get hit by the tail for like 2 damage, and then it chains into all my health because of the drawn out animations. I don't mind losing a lot of health to other things, but constantly getting hit when I'm getting up is the worst design.

Doesnt evasion increase the getting up window as well as leaps? Maybe try that?

If I could only change one small mechanic, my number one choice would be to let attacks be cancelable into sheathing at any point that you could dodge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I was actually able to get to Area 3 with Ceadeus. "Breaking" his beard didn't really give the satisfying "crack" I was hoping, he just recoiled...

Anyways now that I made it there and timed out, he'll have the exact same HP right?

I guess I should stock up on Ballistas and stuff... Stage 2 Ceadeus is actually sorta-maybe fun, now that I'm not ramming into invisibly walls every step and getting swatted by his flipper.

Lagi Blade does additional thunder damage, the -thunder on your armor is a decreased resistance so you take more thunder damage from enemies.

Nothing to do with each other really

Ah, thanks. Figured, but good to have confirmation.

ramyeon

Goldbeard Ceadeus: it has a sweeping hydro laser and another breakable horn now!

Soooooo bad.
So easy. I just had to farm him around 20 times to get stuff for Helios Z.

Almost there now, just 2 dragon bloods to go. Sadly you can't search for Jhen rooms online so I had to make on with Jhen as the title hoping someone finds it :(

More hits per shot via scatter/pierce to activate the status effect faster. Also bows can have innate status elements without the need for coatings.
Ah. If you use innate status + coating, do they stack, then? Is the typical strategy to just coat for your innate status, or to go through all of them? I'm curious because I did some status gunner work on the side in Tri.

So are guns (theoretically, not counting Slime) more DPS oriented, and bows more support oriented?

Bring Shakalakas so you don't get combo'd. We all get hit, I just disagreed with the "random" part. I got combo'd by Pink Rathian's tail flip today. Like, tail flip into tail flip. Ow.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Doesnt evasion increase the getting up window as well as leaps? Maybe try that?
Just invincibility frames on rolls, sidesteps, and backsteps. Getting up and the dive are unaffected.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53226153]If I could only change one small mechanic, my number one choice would be to let attacks be cancelable into sheathing at any point that you could dodge.[/QUOTE]
There's a skill for that which comes pretty close

DaBoss

Oh man, I'm somewhat worried about G-Rank attacks now lol. High-Rank Diablos at Tanzia did quite a bit of damage. I was surprised.

Has anyone faced
Alatreon
with only High-Rank equipment?

I got around to finally crafting a Grim Cat SA. Also upgraded my Glutton's Tools DS.
Gonna do some HR2 missions now.

I wish I had the cash to get a WiiU and that version of this game so I can join you all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So like, how do you find out what the Felyne effects do? Not even the guide says what they do...

Kyzon

Oh man, I'm somewhat worried about G-Rank attacks now lol. High-Rank Diablos at Tanzia did quite a bit of damage. I was surprised.

Has anyone faced
Alatreon
with only High-Rank equipment?

If you're about 300 or so defense to start you're bad, but not everything will kill you.
I'm using High rank armor still as a gunner, The other day we were fighting G-Rank Rust Duramboros, and quite literally, he glanced at me, and my character dropped dead. No attack, just a look. I'm not sure what happened. When I came back, I survived other attacks of his, so... idk lol

Edit: Sorry bout the double post :(

You have to take so many gambles to spend the match in purple Spirit, and the time it takes to get to purple is about the amount of time it takes most LSs to burn through their first sharpness level. Any time you decide to break the Spirit combo to get out of the way, it's basically resetting the level while you're also getting timed out, which is incredibly frustrating and slowly teaches you to go for more risks than you should be. It also defeats the point of having a long weapon, because it carries you into the center of mass and rewards you for staying there. It's really a skill that fits Dual Swords better than Long Sword.

Something that would make more sense for the weapon archetype would be something like Spirit being a trigger that ignores sharpness and damage reduction for a short period of time. This keeps the strategy based on placing your attacks properly and adds a huge benefit for longswords compared to Great Swords in exchange for losing damage and the ability to block.

Eh, then GS users would attack, sheathe, attack, sheathe, etc.
Well with most weapons, it's attack, roll, sheathe, attack, roll, sheathe etc. Movement speed up is one reason I like Hunting Horns, I don't have to sheathe constantly to chase down monsters.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ah. If you use innate status + coating, do they stack, then? Is the typical strategy to just coat for your innate status, or to go through all of them? I'm curious because I did some status gunner work on the side in Tri.

So are guns (theoretically, not counting Slime) more DPS oriented, and bows more support oriented?
Not sure about the stacking, I've been told it's better to just straight up fire normally if your bow has the status innately. I think coatings just add status damage up to a certain percent of the physical raw atk. But yeah, bowguns are for higher dps with lower mobility compared to bows.

Eh, then GS users would attack, sheathe, attack, sheathe, etc.
There are actually sets built around this. In fact the top rated GS set on this japanese wiki I'm looking at is for a set that contains quick sheath, quake resistance, sharpness +1, critical draw (draw attacks always crit), and punish draw (draw attacks can KO).

A level 3 charge would increase atk value by 2.5x, along with 1.25x from the critical, and an additional 1.05x if hitting with the sweet spot of the blade, and assuming sharpness +1 brings you to purple, another 1.44x before dmg calculation.

So basically a shitton of damage in the thousands per hit, guaranteed

DaBoss

If you're about 300 or so defense to start you're bad, but not everything will kill you.
I'm using High rank armor still as a gunner, The other day we were fighting G-Rank Rust Duramboros, and quite literally, he glanced at me, and my character dropped dead. No attack, just a look. I'm not sure what happened. When I came back, I survived other attacks of his, so... idk lol

I've faced a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydios, and Azure Rathalos and it was brutal, I had around 453 defense. Every attack had me using potions or farcasters. G-Rank seems like it is going to be tough solo, can't wait to get there. I think I'm currently HR4.

Rize_21

So like, how do you find out what the Felyne effects do? Not even the guide says what they do...
It's detailed on the left bottom corner,once you have selected two ingredients to eat,just move the cursor/change pages of cooking preparation, to read what they do(lucky cat,yummy!).

Kyzon

I'vr faced a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydios, and Azure Rathalos and it was brutal, I had around 453 defense. Every attack had me using potions or farcasters. G-Rank seems like it is going to be tough solo, can't wait to get there. I think I'm currently HR4.

G Rank will be super tough for me solo until I can find gunner armor that works.
For now, I'll try finding something for this Great Sword I just made.

Just made the Jade Battlefanzers DBs (Rare 9, with Sleep status) for my Mosgharl X set. Skillset:

Trap Master
Combination Pro
Combination +20%
Partbreaker
Focus
Recovery Speed +1

This is gonna be a fun class :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom