• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, I avoid all that other shit they throw, and I get hit by the tail for like 2 damage, and then it chains into all my health because of the drawn out animations. I don't mind losing a lot of health to other things, but constantly getting hit when I'm getting up is the worst design.

MHFU has a lot of these combos moves.....that is initially rage-inducing. However, once you learn what moves NOT to get hit by, you should be fine...
(or if you do get hit....pray the mob doesn't combo into it)

I also think you should be able to cancel item uses into rolls before they activate, losing the item.

There are actually sets built around this. In fact the top rated GS set on this japanese wiki I'm looking at is for a set that contains quick sheath, quake resistance, sharpness +1, critical draw (draw attacks always crit), and punish draw (draw attacks can KO).

A level 3 charge would increase atk value by 2.5x, along with 1.25x from the critical, and an additional 1.05x if hitting with the sweet spot of the blade, and assuming sharpness +1 brings you to purple, another 1.44x before dmg calculation.

So basically a shitton of damage in the thousands per hit, guaranteed

Uggh, I hate that there are so many people willing to turn Monster Hunter into math. It only encourages the development team to focus on the co-op mmo-style side and less on the action game side.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's detailed on the left bottom corner,once you have selected two ingredients to eat,just move the cursor/change pages of cooking preparation, to read what they do(lucky cat,yummy!).

So like, Moss Pork + Queen Shrimp says it'll have an effect of Attack (M) and Health+10. But it also lists Felyne Polisher and Dungmaster. What do those do? Polisher = Attack (M) and Dungmaster = Health+10? Where do the "Health increased! Stamina increased! Attack increased!" etc. come from?

ultron87

I made my set of Rathalos armor including S legs! It looks so cool.

The fact that I've barely scratched the surface of high rank yet played 30+ hours already is totally crazy.

DaBoss

So like, Moss Pork + Queen Shrimp says it'll have an effect of Attack (M) and Health+10. But it also lists Felyne Polisher and Dungmaster. What do those do? Polisher = Attack (M) and Dungmaster = Health+10? Where do the "Health increased! Stamina increased! Attack increased!" etc. come from?

Press down on the D-Pad, as someone stated earlier. That way you can highlight each Food Skill and see the description.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Press down on the D-Pad, as someone stated earlier. That way you can highlight each Food Skill and see the description.

Ah... still so much I don't understand. :p Forever a noob.

Weird the guide doesn't list it though.

Not sure about the stacking, I've been told it's better to just straight up fire normally if your bow has the status innately. I think coatings just add status damage up to a certain percent of the physical raw atk. But yeah, bowguns are for higher dps with lower mobility compared to bows.
Damn, when you said that bows can have innate status, I thought you meant they actually existed outside of Slime. -_- I got all hyped about a sleepbombing bow set.

There are actually sets built around this. In fact the top rated GS set on this japanese wiki I'm looking at is for a set that contains quick sheath, quake resistance, sharpness +1, critical draw (draw attacks always crit), and punish draw (draw attacks can KO).
I'll give quick sheath a try sometime, then. I used AUL, Sharp+1, Crit Draw for my GS set in Tri. I'm all about getting that stagger and breaking parts!

A level 3 charge would increase atk value by 2.5x, along with 1.25x from the critical, and an additional 1.05x if hitting with the sweet spot of the blade, and assuming sharpness +1 brings you to purple, another 1.44x before dmg calculation.

So basically a shitton of damage in the thousands per hit, guaranteed
I just don't get why they wouldn't pick AUL over punish draw and quake resistance.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53227833]I also think you should be able to cancel item uses into rolls before they activate, losing the item.[/quote]
That's just terrible, GB.

Uggh, I hate that there are so many people willing to turn Monster Hunter into math. It only encourages the development team to focus on the co-op mmo-style side and less on the action game side.
You sit for hours in Marvel training mode trying to squeeze another 10K damage out of your Magneto combos. I'm surprised to hear you say this.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53227833]Uggh, I hate that there are so many people willing to turn Monster Hunter into math. It only encourages the development team to focus on the co-op mmo-style side and less on the action game side.[/QUOTE]
Not really sure what you mean by this or how that information would affect anything. The specific multipliers there aren't particularly well known by every GS user or anything. All your basic GS user needs to know is charge attacks increase damage, criticals increase damage, blade sweet spot increases damage, and sharpness increases damage, so if you combine them all, you do a lot of damage. Capcom hasn't changed the core gameplay of MH at all over the 3 generations, only improving on mechanics as they go.

MH4 has even more "action" in that you can climb normal monsters' backs, cinematic style chase sequences, dynamic environments, etc.

Not really sure what you mean by this or how that information would affect anything. The specific multipliers there aren't particularly well known by every GS user or anything. All your basic GS user needs to know is charge attacks increase damage, criticals increase damage, blade sweet spot increases damage, and sharpness increases damage, so if you combine them all, you do a lot of damage. Capcom hasn't changed the core gameplay of MH at all over the 3 generations, only improving on mechanics as they go.

MH4 has even more "action" in that you can climb normal monsters' backs, cinematic style chase sequences, dynamic environments, etc.
Ech, I don't like that direction. I don't need more QTEs in my Monster Hunter. Keep that shit out.

Edit: Would you post the top JP builds for various weapons? I'm curious to see where people are going with this game.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, when you said that bows can have innate status, I thought you meant they actually existed outside of Slime. -_- I got all hyped about a sleepbombing bow set.
Well in mhf2/u bows had sleep/para etc. innately. Just slime now for 3u.

I just don't get why they wouldn't pick AUL over punish draw and quake resistance.
Punish draw getting a knockout would get you at least 2 free level 3 GS charge hits on the head, which is amazing, and quake resistance lets you not get interrupted while charging, which takes a long time. It's more useful than you'd think, see: the deviljho part of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Xm0W0RDdw

Edit: what specific weapon armor sets would you like to see?

How could a skill "ignore sharpness"?
I just mean works how it already does, breaking through hard parts without deflecting.

There are skills to let you bump your spirit up more, and other skills to let you land spirit combos with more safety. For example, a combination of Focus (charge the bar faster, takes like 4 hits to fill it) and HGE means you'll charge up quick and can do your full spirit combo while the monster roars. All weapons have risks and downsides to a part of their play - that's why the armor skills are so handy and fun!

I know it's the point of the game, but I still hate having to grind to make the basic mechanics work better. I liked doing naked runs in MH1, but I have no confidence in that in this game because I don't feel like I can predict the monsters as well as before. I can dodge an attack but still get hit by the backswing while my roll is recovering, etc. The Marvel player in me is saying don't get in the situation to begin with, but my animations take so long that I have to guess while the monster is neutral and just take the hit every once in a while.

To be honest if I want to play like that I should be using Sword and Shield, but it takes so damn long to kill anything so I stopped using them.

That's just terrible, GB.
If it were up to me, the whole damn game would be co-op Ninja Gaiden + Shadow of the Colossus.

You sit for hours in Marvel training mode trying to squeeze another 10K damage out of your Magneto combos. I'm surprised to hear you say this.

Training mode is the main draw of Marvel to me, I don't really care about winning or anything. It's like an evolving puzzle, and I like making funny things happen. I came into the FGC from games like Jojo's and Evil Zone and Hokuto no Ken, so I'm probably closer to someone like Kusoru than anything.

Grinding a perfect setup isn't a puzzle. I get bored of anything as soon as I figure out a solution, and if I have to work to enact it past what needs thinking, I get frustrated.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, Ceadeus is goddamn easy. What a pitiful fight.

Good music though, you guys didn't lie about that.

Isn't the guide (bradygames I assume) digital only?

Yes. And it has no problem listing just about everything else in the game. :p

Well in mhf2/u bows had sleep/para etc. innately. Just slime now for 3u.
Then I am still left wondering what they're for. :p

Punish draw getting a knockout would get you at least 2 free level 3 GS charge hits on the head, which is amazing, and quake resistance lets you not get interrupted while charging, which takes a long time. It's more useful than you'd think, see: the deviljho part of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Xm0W0RDdw

Edit: what specific weapon armor sets would you like to see?
How many KOs would you realistically get, though? I'll watch the video.

I'm curious what folks are doing with: hammers, SnS (status), DS, and LS.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Then I am still left wondering what they're for. :p
Like I said, status can get applied faster because of the rapid number of hits. And elemental damage. Bows have a much much higher dps for elemental damage than other weapons, save DS maybe. And the video just includes an example of someone charge attacking through all of deviljho's quake stomps, nothing else special related to the discussion.

I'll go look up those sets.

Like I said, status can get applied faster because of the rapid number of hits. And elemental damage. Bows have a much much higher dps for elemental damage than other weapons, save DS maybe. And the video just includes an example of someone charge attacking through all of deviljho's quake stomps, nothing else special related to the discussion.

I'll go look up those sets.
Eh, I'm skeptical. I watched a video of a status bowgunner, and I thought his Focus rains were taking a lot longer to sleep than when I bowgun.

Edit: wtf @ that Deviljho fight. It's like the guy is psychic.

Rize_21

It's the effects of your combined food and its number of stars(0 to 3,3 will guarantee you a + 50 in stamina/life and more felyne's talents),generally attack up is when you eat meats and health +10 should be an ingredient with almost 0 star(but the stamina and the felyne's talents are randomly generated,that means you may get the bonuses you've described,and sometimes only Health increased/Attack increased with the fix felyne's talent and without the daily felyne's talent(in this case,dungmaster),the felyne's talents change "everytime" you're back from quest for the same recipe.

It's funny you say that, because most MH veterans complain that MH3 is too easy compared to the older games, and the monsters are too predictable. Maybe you just need to spend more time with each monster.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it's incredibly easier. I used to be scared to death of Rathalos in MH1, and I haven't lost once in this game including soloing online quests. I just don't think that the weapons are necessarily incentivized in a way that rewards me for trying not to get hit at all costs. Or maybe it's the way dodge works in relation to monster hitboxes. It just seems like I'm always guaranteed to get hit a couple times. How am I supposed to chop off pink Rathian's tail while she's floating with a long sword without getting hit? Whether she does the left or right swipe is a pure guess, and there's only time to dodge once the animation starts! I try to sheathe early, but what if the neutral wasn't the same as last time? I COULD BE LOSING HITS HERE >_O

I don't have time for your games, pinkie! I have ranks to climb!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53229984]Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it's incredibly easier. I used to be scared to death of Rathalos in MH1, and I haven't lost once in this game including soloing online quests. I just don't think that the weapons are necessarily incentivized in a way that rewards me for trying not to get hit at all costs. Or maybe it's the way dodge works in relation to monster hitboxes. It just seems like I'm always guaranteed to get hit a couple times. How am I supposed to chop off pink Rathian's tail while she's floating with a long sword without getting hit? Whether she does the left or right swipe is a pure guess, and there's only time to dodge once the animation starts! I try to sheathe early, but what if the neutral wasn't the same as last time? I COULD BE LOSING HITS HERE >_O

I don't have time for your games, pinkie! I have ranks to climb![/QUOTE]
Well, I'm primarily a hammer user, but I super pounded Pink Rathian's tail every time she finished her poison tail swipe. So I imagine a LS user shouldn't have a problem.

DaBoss

It's the effects of your combined food and its number of stars(0 to 3,3 will guarantee you a + 50 in stamina/life and more felyne's talents),generally attack up is when you eat meats and health +10 should be an ingredient with almost 0 star(but the stamina and the felyne's talents are randomly generated,that means you may get the bonuses you've described,and sometimes only Health increased/Attack increased with the fix felyne's talent and without the daily felyne's talent(in this case,dungmaster),the felyne's talents change "everytime" you're back from quest for the same recipe.

Just a few minor corrections:

You need a total of 5 stars to get +50 health, so 2,3 works too.

Freshness determines whether you get +0/25/50 stamina. If none of the ingredients are fresh, then you don't get a stamina boost. If one ingredient is fresh, you will get +25 stamina. If both ingredients are fresh, then you get +50 stamina.

Freshness also helps in getting a higher chance of getting all of the food skills.

Do we know if the cat cook will be back in MH4? I mean the one that can cook the meat for you.

I hope so, that felyne is my bro for life.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

You need a total of 5 stars to get +50 health, so 2,3 works too.

Freshness determines whether you get +0/25/50 stamina. If none of the ingredients are fresh, then you don't get a stamina boost. If one ingredient is fresh, you will get +25 stamina. If both ingredients are fresh, then you get +50 stamina.

Freshness also helps in getting a higher chance of getting all of the food skills.

So complex. @_@

Getting close to finishing everything I want to in the Village and going to be jumping online soon.

So are Australians restricted to EU servers still? Can any comment on the lag (if any) between playing together. Tri was surprisingly good even when I was playing with people all the way over in Germany.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious what folks are doing with: hammers, SnS (status), DS, and LS.

A lot of the top sets are repeated because they're universal for several types of weapons

Hammer

helios z helm /hearing gem OOO
narga x mail /hearing gem O
helios z helm /evade dist gem O
ashura x faulds /evade gem OO, hearing gem O
helios z greaves /evade dist gem O
talisman[2]: evade dist +5 /evade gem OO

gives HG earplugs, sharpness+1, evade+1, evade distance up

narga z helm /polishing gem O,O
abyss mail
abyss arms /polishing gem O,O,O
abyss faulds
narga z greaves /evade gem OO
talisman: edgemaster+2

gives stamina recovery up, evade+1, edgemaster (sharpness+1 & AUL), fast sharpening

helios z helm /exhaust gem OO, tenderizer O
lagia x mail /focus gem O
lagia x arms /tenderizer O
durambolos x faulds /exhaust gem OO, tenderizer O
lagia x greaves /focus gem O
talisman: handicraft +5

gives sharpness+1, focus, weakness exploit, awakening, exhaust

SnS

For status specific there isn't much, other sets include similar base skills such as sharpness+1, evade+1, HG earplugs, with variety of additions like bomber, wide area, element up, and trap skills. I can post them if you really want them

Also see: Hammer 1st set

Dual Swords

narga z helm /bombardier gem O,O
narga x mail /unshakeable gem O
vangis x arms /bombardier gem O,O
vangis x coil
grand yamato legs /unshakeable gem OOO
talisman[2]: handicraft +3 /bombardier gem O, unshakeable gem O

gives evade+1, sharpness+1, torso up, rock steady, bombadier

helios z helm /runner gem OOO
damascus x coil /evade gem OO
helios z arms /evade gem O
ludroth x faulds /evade gem OO
ludroth x greaves /evade gem OO
talisman[1]: handicraft+3 /hearing gem O

gives earplugs, sharpness+1, marathon runner, evade+1

Also see: Hammer 3rd set

Longsword

selene z helm /focus gem OOO
narga x mail /hearing gem O
narga z arms /evade gem OO
selene z coil /polishing gem O,O,O
selene x greaves /evade gem O
talisman[1]: handicraft+5 /polishing gem O
weapon[1] /polishing gem O

gives earplugs, sharpness+1, focus, evade+1, fast sharpening

Also see: Dual Swords 1st set

A lot of the top sets are repeated because they're universal for several types of weapons
Thanks for those. It's fascinating that almost no one uses AUL. I can't imagine hammering without HGE in the late game. So much free KO damage. I figured fast sharpening or razor sharp would be necessary for DS, and it's cool to see Focus get used for the LS.

RobbieNick

I don't know where you are getting this information from. All I see is the digital guide.

NM. I looked more into it. April 20th 2010. Guess that's the Japanese date of the game or something?

Still why release only an online Strategy guide? Especially one that's over 500 pages long. Hard to maneuver around it on Adobe. I'd really love an official book in my hands.

Ken

Thanks for those. It's fascinating that almost no one uses AUL. I can't imagine hammering without HGE in the late game. So much free KO damage. I figured fast sharpening or razor sharp would be necessary for DS, and it's cool to see Focus get used for the LS.

20 points for 20 ATK just seems really small compared to other skills you can get with 20 points or less.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Anything for the Bow listed?
Yeah, really talisman based though
narga z cap /stamina rec gem OO
narga z chest /normalS up gem O
agnak x guard /normalS up gem OOO
narga z coat /normalS up gem O,O
lagia x legs /focus gem O,O
talisman[1]: tenderizer+5 /evade gem O
weapon[1] /normalS up gem O

gives focus, stamina recovery up, evade+1, weakness exploit, forceshot

zinogre z helm /stamina rec gem OO
narga z chest /bombardier gem O
narga z guard /bombardier gem O,O
nebula x coat /evade gem O
narga z legs /bombardier gem O,O
talisman: stamina rec +3, free element +6
weapon[3] /evade gem OO,O

gives focus, evade+2, stamina recovery up, awaken, bombadier

selene z helm /hearing gem OOO
zinogre x chest /evade gem OO, bombadier gem O
selene x guard /evade gem OO
rhopessa x waist /evade gem OO
nebula x greaves /evade gem OO, bombadier gem O
talisman: free element+7
weapon[3] /bombadier gem O,O,O

gives HG earplug, evade+2, awaken, bomber

Edit: nebula is gigginox in the US version

wsippel

Banned
AUL simply isn't worth the amount of points. Stellar Hunter is a lot more worthwhile as it only requires 10 points and gives you both Attack Up Large and the often more effective Sharpness +1.

Do bows just not care about sharpness for some reason?

AUL simply isn't worth the amount of points. Stellar Hunter is a lot more worthwhile as it only requires 10 points and gives you both Attack Up Large and the often more effective Sharpness +1.
Yeah, but how many sets provide Stellar Hunter? I imagine it's not a very flexible skill.

so I wanted to use a bow for the first time and I ended up in my undies when I switched from dual blades

it took me a lot of waiting just to get my second full set of armor is this game telling me I need gunner armor for the bow? :(

Neki

I need to find a new armor, I'm using the regular Rathalos armor but it doesn't seem that good, I think attack (M) just isn't that good, anyone have recommendations?

blackflag

Woot G rank. Thanks to the Gaffers that helped earlier until my Internet went out. Ended up just killing him a bunch of times, it was fine when I changed armor.

I suppose a lot of people just farm gold beard to start g rnk with the better armor?

Kouriozan

Woot G rank. Thanks to the Gaffers that helped earlier until my Internet went out. Ended up just killing him a bunch of times, it was fine when I changed armor.

I suppose a lot of people just farm gold beard to start g rnk with the better armor?
Exactly, I started farming him but then I had already tons of mats for Brachy X so I went with that.
Some G rank monsters can do tons of damage.

Ken

Wroggi X is easy G rank armor to make too.

So... I haven't gotten very far lately (still working on 3-star quests and haven't gotten together with friends in a while), but maybe having a goal to move towards will motivate me some more. As a Bow user I'm interested in getting an armor set that will increase my evasiveness and my evasion distance. What would you guys recommend I try to aim for and when can I get to it? Once I've satisfied my curiosity I'll get around to netdecking my armor :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So... I haven't gotten very far lately (still working on 3-star quests and haven't gotten together with friends in a while), but maybe having a goal to move towards will motivate me some more. As a Bow user I'm interested in getting an armor set that will increase my evasiveness and my evasion distance. What would you guys recommend I try to aim for and when can I get to it? Once I've satisfied my curiosity I'll get around to netdecking my armor :p
Lagombi, but it just has evade dist up, cold res, and item effect up (still good for bows)

Narga armor at high rank and higher fits your bill perfectly if you want something to shoot for at high rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom