• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondriaan

Green Plesioth is exactly the fucking same. I have not noticed any differences at all except he's a dick when it comes to fishing, and just notices me/jumps out right before biting. I don't know if I'm just unlucky.
I think green plessie has a sideways sweeping beam attack underwater that the regular plessie doesn't usually do.
Ivory Lagi is easier than regular Lagi. Haven't fought abyssal.
Ivory is mostly a land fight. Spamming hits to the head is harder. It's tougher than a regular lagi on land IMO, but regular lagi on land is a joke.

Ken

Pink Rathian is less predictable but I don't see why people hate her so much. Gold was annoying even in the past games where Rathian was a total joke though, and it looks like she's way worse now. My whole strategy for the Raths was 'apply hammer to forehead' but gold/silver ruin that!

Azure Rathalos Blue Male Rathian is just a slightly faster Rathalos. His thing used to be that he hung out in the air more often than regular but they're both assholes in this game so who knows.

Crimson Peco has some nasty tricks the original doesn't but as long as you've got earplugs and felyne dungmaster he's about the same.

Steel Uragaan honestly seems easier than regular to me. Dunno, just seems like he curves his rolls in a more predictable manner. And I don't get hit by gas either way but poop is not as bad as sleep.

Sand Barioth is harder than the regular, but he's fun.

Black Diablos is my old nemesis. Regular Diablos is already basically the fastest, angriest thing on two legs. Black Diablos is a female Diablos during 'that time of the month' to give you an idea what it's like.

Green Plesioth is exactly the fucking same. I have not noticed any differences at all except he's a dick when it comes to fishing, and just notices me/jumps out right before biting. I don't know if I'm just unlucky.

Glacial Agnaktor is a jerk, just like regular Agnaktor. I think I hate being set on fire more than iceblight though.

Ivory Lagi is easier than regular Lagi. Haven't fought abyssal.

goldbeard is just as boring as regular.

haven't fought Stygian Zinogre or Hungry Joe.

did I miss anybody?

Baleful Gigginox - He's Pikachu Gigginox.

Hallowed Jhen - He's like Jhen but Ghostly Quartz mining is fun.

Green Narga - Just different attack combos, nothing super new.

Stygian Zinogre - Revengeance and nullberrries. Nothing super interesting to note.

Savage Jho - Farming rooms means abandon qiests until you find him.

Jade Barroth - His head charge lasts longer and tracks better. Kind of annoying.

Rust Durambos - Zzz

Silver Rathalos - I stay in the air a lot because I have nothing else new to add.

Gold Rathian - Spams whatever she wants however many times she wants.

Lucent Narga - Can poison with tail slam darts, hits hard, needs high sharpness to not bounce off head.

Abyssal Lagiacrus - Can conjure whirlwinds that deal waterblight and eat your oxygen. Can stun and kill in one combo of his lightning rush thing. Does a lot of damage if you're not careful. Otherwise it's just underwater lagi.

explodet

My first impressions for HR5:

Ivory Lagiacrus: No water combat? SOLD!
Sure, his lightning AOE was annoying. But with full Aelucanth on he should be farmable in no time. Helps that we both got a sapphire, though.

Nargacuga: My body was not ready. We brought him down, but whoo boy was it touch and go for a while there. I was not expecting his tail whip to whack me from halfway across the area.

Mupod

Oh yeah, I think Baleful is actually easier than regular, especially if you have armor to avoid paralysis. Just bring HGE if you can. I actually watched him stand there and roar four times in a row once...didn't do anything else, just roared four times. What the hell.

I haven't fought the Narga subspecies in this game, but I did fight Green quite a bit in P3rd. I think his head takes even more impact damage which just makes him easier.

Actually quite looking forward to Purple Jhen.

edit: lol I forgot Rusty too. This game has so many new monsters. The one we fought last night, we completely wrecked him nonstop and he still took 20 freakin minutes. I guess the only real difference is he muds you sometimes and his humps don't take as much damage?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
hahaha I knew it was this video before I clicked it.

no, that 'cheese' would likely not even work on most g-rank monsters (the ones in that quest probably have lowered hp) and it takes an incredible amount of coordination and practice. You will never, ever, ever see a random group doing that.

lol.

Looks kinda fun though! :)

I'm getting a Wii U this weekend. Can't wait to finally play this game online!! Solo mode on 3DS is also awesome though.

Mondriaan

edit: lol I forgot Rusty too. This game has so many new monsters. The one we fought last night, we completely wrecked him nonstop and he still took 20 freakin minutes. I guess the only real difference is he muds you sometimes and his humps don't take as much damage?
It has a few more combo/followup attacks to prevent super easy cheese in the form of rush in and wale. Maybe it also has more health. It also has a sleep attack (
being boring
).

Mupod

Oh yeah I remember his wombo combo now.

I think despite the differences he's still easier just because you fight him in the open desert. Fighting the other one in a cramped forest with annoying arbitrary area boundaries can result in some awkwardness. It's pretty hard to die to Rust unless you get greedy/stupid since like Ceadeus he offsets high damage with slow attacks.

Rize_21

So here it is for the canteen.

WSVqV2M.jpg

FuBOHM9.jpg

As you can see,the felyne's talent is described in the bottom corner left,and none of the ingredients are fresh,which means I won't get a stamina boost.

If you want to have all the talents available for two combined ingredients(fix and daily talents),you should use a Gourmet Voucher(fairly rare to get,isn't it?),using a simple voucher will change all the ingredients to fresh status(= stamina + 50),minus the guarantee to get all the felyne's talents(that say,I often get both felyne's talents).

Here's a non exhaustive list of what does most of the combined ingredients(Ing. A and Ing. B can be inverted,it doesn't matter):

Bread icons + Bottle Milk icons = Defense (L) + Health. (my favorite)

Meat icons + Bread icons or Milk Bottle icons = Attack (L) + Health.

Mushroom/vegetable icons + Milk Bottle icons = Elemental Res ((L)Sauté= Fire Res(L),Stew=Water Res(L),Steam= ThunderRes(L),Fry=Ice Res(L))+ Health.

Fish + Fish = Oxygen + Health.

Beverages icons + Milk Bottle icons = Tipsy + Health.

Beverages icons + Mushroom/vegetable icon = No Boost + Health.(and a lot of fixed skills)

Don't hesitate to switch between the recipes having the same effects,as the felyne's talents may vary.
There may be more effects than that,but at the moment,my canteen isn't fully upgraded and I haven't tasted all the recipes.
You can also read the details of the active(s) Felyne's talents by checking your status after having eat.
Pushing select while you are sitting at the canteen will bring a 14 pages of detailed informations.
Oh and by the way,you can increase a second time the attack boost/defense boost by taking a Might Seed/Adamant Seed/(Mega)Demondrug/(Mega)Armorskin(in quest only).
Hope it helps!

Sorry if this has been asked, but I tried googling with no luck. Where is the best place to farm Hercudrones? I need them to finish my Wroggi S armor. Also, is it possible to create any weapon from scratch without upgrading it or are there certain weapons that can't be forged from scratch if you have the mats?

Lava land - light blue bug node. Not sure about the second question though. Probably. It's cheaper to upgrade though

Mupod

The only thing that I do not enjoy about MH is that it makes me not care about other games. :|

just means I can wait for the steam summer sale for tomb raider, bioshock, and far cry blood dragon. I wonder if I'll ever finish Sleeping Dogs now? I was halfway through it when this came out.

I even stopped watching Jojo. That's almost inconceivable! Only missed two eps though.

The only thing that I do not enjoy about MH is that it makes me not care about other games. :|

I know that feel. Just realized I haven't opened steam for going on 2 weeks now lol

Was gonna ask, with the kill 3 monsters quests, do they have reduced health at least? Nothing would piss me off more than getting up to the last one, having it limping away and then time running out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got Bioshock Infinite for free and don't give a fuck. I probably won't play it for at least 3 months.

just means I can wait for the steam summer sale for tomb raider, bioshock, and far cry blood dragon. I wonder if I'll ever finish Sleeping Dogs now? I was halfway through it when this came out.

I even stopped watching Jojo. That's almost inconceivable! Only missed two eps though.

I know that feel. Just realized I haven't opened steam for going on 2 weeks now lol

Was gonna ask, with the kill 3 monsters quests, do they have reduced health at least? Nothing would piss me off more than getting up to the last one, having it limping away and then time running out.

Glad I am not alone. :)

To the bold - yes, significantly reduced health I think. At least that's what it feels like.

Yeah the monsters all have reduced health, but you only get Mega potions as carves from them.

Chuckpebble

Man, the amount of games I bought, finished and forgot about, all the while playing Tri.

That said, this one has managed to displace Fire Emblem and Crashmo, which I haven't even touched yet. The only times I've actually closed MH was for a birthday in FE and that time I maxed out my play coins.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Disappointed by Purple Ludroth, then again I did don my Wroggi armor for this fight. :p

I bought Luigi's Mansion 2 on Saturday and despite my hype I can't bring myself to boot it up instead of MH3U. =/

So here it is for the canteen.

As you can see,the felyne's talent is described in the bottom corner left,and none of the ingredients are fresh,which means I won't get a stamina boost.

If you want to have all the talents available for two combined ingredients(fix and daily talents),you should use a Gourmet Voucher(fairly rare to get,isn't it?),using a simple voucher will change all the ingredients to fresh status(= stamina + 50),minus the guarantee to get all the felyne's talents(that say,I often get both felyne's talents).

Here's a non exhaustive list of what does most of the combined ingredients(Ing. A and Ing. B can be inverted,it doesn't matter):

Bread icons + Bottle Milk icons = Defense (L) + Health. (my favorite)

Meat icons + Bread icons or Milk Bottle icons = Attack (L) + Health.

Mushroom/vegetable icons + Milk Bottle icons = Elemental Res ((L)Sauté= Fire Res(L),Stew=Water Res(L),Steam= ThunderRes(L),Fry=Ice Res(L))+ Health.

Fish + Fish = Oxygen + Health.

Beverages icons + Milk Bottle icons = Tipsy + Health.

Beverages icons + Mushroom/vegetable icon = No Boost + Health.(and a lot of fixed skills)

Don't hesitate to switch between the recipes having the same effects,as the felyne's talents may vary.
There may be more effects than that,but at the moment,my canteen isn't fully upgraded and I haven't tasted all the recipes.
You can also read the details of the active(s) Felyne's talents by checking your status after having eat.
Pushing select while you are sitting at the canteen will bring a 14 pages of detailed informations.
Oh and by the way,you can increase a second time the attack boost/defense boost by taking a Might Seed/Adamant Seed/(Mega)Demondrug/(Mega)Armorskin(in quest only).
Hope it helps!

Ah, thanks for the guide! Bookmarking this post. :p

Mupod

Well the only downside to waiting to play Bioshock Infinite is that my friend will not fucking shut up about it and I keep telling him not to tell me anything. I didn't even like Bioshock 1 (didn't play 2), but neither did he and his enthusiasm for this one has me interested. Also, it's extremely risky to stalk GAF member post history right now because it seems like everyone who isn't playing this game is living in the BI spoiler thread.

I think MH is one of the few games I can easily play alongside anything else, once I get to the point where I'm not holding people back in terms of gear/HR progression. It's not like I'll forget how to play it at this point. But it's very easy to just fire it up and play whenever.

I didn't have that option in Tri which is why I never got (relatively) deep into it - I actually had to borrow my brother's Wii to play it. So I just treated my 'endgame armor/weapon set' as the end of the game. Still took me 200+ hours of course. But I never played it again after I reached that goal. This on the other hand will just sit on my Wii U internal memory forever and I can go back to it anytime.

rugioh

Banned
Well the only downside to waiting to play Bioshock Infinite is that my friend will not fucking shut up about it and I keep telling him not to tell me anything. I didn't even like Bioshock 1 (didn't play 2), but neither did he and his enthusiasm for this one has me interested. Also, it's extremely risky to stalk GAF member post history right now because it seems like everyone who isn't playing this game is living in the BI spoiler thread.

I think MH is one of the few games I can easily play alongside anything else, once I get to the point where I'm not holding people back in terms of gear/HR progression. It's not like I'll forget how to play it at this point. But it's very easy to just fire it up and play whenever.

I didn't have that option in Tri which is why I never got (relatively) deep into it - I actually had to borrow my brother's Wii to play it. So I just treated my 'endgame armor/weapon set' as the end of the game. Still took me 200+ hours of course. But I never played it again after I reached that goal. This on the other hand will just sit on my Wii U internal memory forever and I can go back to it anytime.

I feel the same way. I wanted to hold off on other games until I at least reached HR in village and online, so I'll probably pick up Bioshock this weekend and start playing that alongside(hopefully) finding some GAFbros to play online with and get into G-rank.

Mupod

Since I hit HR7 last night I think that after this weekend I should be at the point where I can 'relax'. I won't, but I'll have that option.

For now my goal is to get as good a weapon as possible before the Brachydios marathon to get everyone else to HR7 tonight. I can fight Stygian Zinogre at HR7, right? If for some reason I can't I should be fine with 2 Nargacugas and a Steel Uragaan. A bit of luck with charms would help too...still have yet to find a +10 Maestro.

Ridley327

Since I hit HR7 last night I think that after this weekend I should be at the point where I can 'relax'. I won't, but I'll have that option.

For now my goal is to get as good a weapon as possible before the Brachydios marathon to get everyone else to HR7 tonight. I can fight Stygian Zinogre at HR7, right? If for some reason I can't I should be fine with 2 Nargacugas and a Steel Uragaan. A bit of luck with charms would help too...still have yet to find a +10 Maestro.

When I fought him with other HR7+ players, he isn't too terribly different from the regular one, outside of the element change to Dragon, as well as the bolts of Dragon lightning that he can summon while he's charging up and walking around. I would say the biggest thing you will have to look out for is that his energy orb attacks work a bit differently, as they stick near him until they're ready to go, and they now have aggressive homing capabilities on whoever is lucky enough to get all the attention.

Xater

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53256597]A lot of my friends play Monster Hunter, but we all stopped to play Bioshock. That game is too good.[/QUOTE]

I marathoned through Bioshock in a day so I could return to play MH. Enjoy it way more.

Mupod

When I fought him with other HR7+ players, he isn't too terribly different from the regular one, outside of the element change to Dragon, as well as the bolts of Dragon lightning that he can summon while he's charging up and walking around.

Yeah, I'm just worried about my -25 dragon resist. Might just wear my HR Narga stuff, since the anti-dragon resist buff seems tied to drinks and my best drink is 1*. I'd like to find out the exact formula for how resist food works, since it always seems to bring you over 0 no matter how bad your resist is. Yet it does fuck all if you're over 5.

Are there even canteen quests to get drinks to at least 2*? I didn't have a chance to look. All my other food appears to be maxed.

I still want my guitar super badly but I can have the maxed out Brachydios HH for the low low price of 5 steel uragaan scute+. But I don't think the songs on it are that great despite its awesome raw and long purple sharpness with sharpness+1.

How the heck can i target jhen when searching online? Do I have to beat him solo? Did it once and he destroyed my ship despite me breaking everything on him (2 spots on back, both horns, both legs) and hitting him with the dragonator both times.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I bought Luigi's Mansion 2 on Saturday and despite my hype I can't bring myself to boot it up instead of MH3U. =/

Bought it after MH3U, played about two mansions in and haven't touched it since. Think its kinda overrated actually.

Mupod

Hmm for some reason Thunder on the Tundra quest doesn't appear for me.

HR6? Clear regular Gigginox. You'll of course need to beat the starter HR6 quests too in order to see Giggi's quest.

Likewise to unlock Jade Barroth you need to beat regular Barroth first. But other people can post it for you.

ramyeon

How the heck can i target jhen when searching online? Do I have to beat him solo? Did it once and he destroyed my ship despite me breaking everything on him (2 spots on back, both horns, both legs) and hitting him with the dragonator both times.
To get the quest in the online guild I think you have to beat him in offline or at least repel him.

You can't put him as a target in the room info though, can't even search for him.

To get the quest in the online guild I think you have to beat him in offline or at least repel him.

You can't put him as a target in the room info though, can't even search for him.

But you can. If you just search all rooms every few pages you can see a Jhen Mohran target room.

There's a way, I just don't know how. I mean I could beat him offline for sure, but I need to grind him and online would be much faster.

Mupod

First off, if you actually want to solo him there's a village quest in 7* which is much more reasonable for that. The canteen quest is nice to do to level up your drinks of course and I think the drops are better, plus it's easier with other people. Worst case scenario make a room on the GAF server and ask for help.

Anyways the thing about Jhen is his horns and legs take very very little damage from actual weapons, so breaking them doesn't mean much outside of just getting way more loot at the end. As a result they are prime targets for ballistas and bombs which do fixed damage. Breaking both legs in phase 2 will make him move backward but they take less than half the damage his chest does, so if you're having trouble surviving I don't recommend focusing on them until you can.

In phase 2 aside from simply doing enough damage to kill him, you need to interrupt his attacks and keep him the hell away from the ship. Gonging him during the bellyflop makes him fall over and you can get in his mouth to either do massive damage or a tiny chance to carve a gem. The binder makes him step back a bit. Other than that, get in his armpit and hit his belly. You can't just get in front of the belly since he'll hit you over and over. When you stagger his stomach he steps backwards, and every second stagger he falls over like when he's been gonged during the bellyflop. So it's the main area to attack.

ryz

Wow, this thread is just packed with information. Thanks guys, especially Mupod. Your posts seem to automagically answer my unwritten questions! :D

Aw yeah! Did Agnak,Volvi,Rathalos with almost 20 minutes to spare. Ballin!

I had no intention of playing anymore today but then I thought to myself, "What if did that hunt real quick?" I play this in slightly broken up sessions so I can fool myself into thinking I'm only playing when I have a moment to spare. With 70 hours on my file, this clearly isn't true.

dwix

Hit HR 3 last night online, and am wanting to try out the bow. What's a good HR 2 bow and armor set, assuming I want to farm HR 2 monsters? I've read up on the basic mechanics for the bow and coatings, but there seems to be quite a bit of variance in what is considered viable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Odd question about capturing:

I caught a Great Jaggi in a shock trap after he had restored himself, threw 2 tranqs, and they failed to knock him out. Then I ran up and hit him once in the face and he fell over asleep.

What's going on there? Is there a hidden stun value when tranqs are active that can be filled up with additional direct damage?

Mupod

I caught a Great Jaggi in a shock trap after he had restored himself, threw 2 tranqs, and they failed to knock him out. Then I ran up and hit him once in the face and he fell over asleep.

What's going on there? Is there a hidden stun value when tranqs are active that can be filled up with additional direct damage?

No, by hitting him you just got him back beneath the HP threshold for capturing. Monsters can heal themselves a little bit by sleeping which might be what happened.

As for why he was captured after hitting him: you can 'pre-tranq' a monster, for example hitting something with two and then immediately luring it into a trap will result in a capture. A mistake a lot of newbies make when a monster doesn't go down after two tranqs is throwing more tranqs - instead, you should do what you did and go whack him a few times. More than once for me that's made it cross the HP threshold and fall asleep.

Tranqs do not last very long at all though, so this isn't 100% reliable.

Chuckpebble

monster's are captured once they have lost 80% health, been trapped, and had enough tranq applied to them. Once all 3 requirements are met, they go down. These can be done in any order. I like to tranq monsters before they hit the trap often times so that I can do what you just did, get the damage up to where it needs to be just in case its not. The thing is, they recover quickly from the tranq's status, so you may need to throw more if you take too long.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
No, by hitting him you just got him back beneath the HP threshold for capturing. Monsters can heal themselves a little bit by sleeping which might be what happened.

As for why he was captured after hitting him: you can 'pre-tranq' a monster, for example hitting something with two and then immediately luring it into a trap will result in a capture. A mistake a lot of newbies make when a monster doesn't go down after two tranqs is throwing more tranqs - instead, you should do what you did and go whack him a few times. More than once for me that's made it cross the HP threshold and fall asleep.

Tranqs do not last very long at all though, so this isn't 100% reliable.

Ah! Thank you, this is good to know.

Chunky

GRAAAWWR WYVERN STONES!!! Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, I am at my wits' end. So far I've been alternating between HR Barroth and Qurupeco (from the Siren's Song quest) and they're not dropping any bloody stones!
I cut the tail, break the bits, get them settled down for a nice nap and then get nothing but crappy mats that I've got about 30 of each by now! Help me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom