• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRAAAWWR WYVERN STONES!!! Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, I am at my wits' end. So far I've been alternating between HR Barroth and Qurupeco (from the Siren's Song quest) and they're not dropping any bloody stones!
I cut the tail, break the bits, get them settled down for a nice nap and then get nothing but crappy mats that I've got about 30 of each by now! Help me!!
Welcome to
Monster Hunter!

You will be drowning in all three levels if bird stones by the tin you are trudging through g rank. Try doing the multi monster quests with monsters that drop them.

Chunky

Welcome to
Monster Hunter!

You will be drowning in all three levels if bird stones by the tin you are trudging through g rank. Try doing the multi monster quests with monsters that drop them.

Ha, only in Monster Hunter can you put nearly a thousand hours in and still feel like a greenhorn :D
What quests would you recommend, by the by?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think I've ever had trouble capturing any monster once it's asleep unless the scrubs in the area mess up my trap set up.

I do hate setting it down only for the monster to fly off somewhere else and go to sleep....

Hit HR 3 last night online, and am wanting to try out the bow. What's a good HR 2 bow and armor set, assuming I want to farm HR 2 monsters? I've read up on the basic mechanics for the bow and coatings, but there seems to be quite a bit of variance in what is considered viable.

Early on, it doesn't necessarily matter what skills come on your armor, at least for bows. However, as you're able to, finding armors with Status+, Fast Charge, and Awakening are especially helpful in your quest to have good armor.

Mupod

Don't think I've ever had trouble capturing any monster once it's asleep unless the scrubs in the area mess up my trap set up.

I do hate setting it down only for the monster to fly off somewhere else and go to sleep....

Brachydios is the WORST for this, I think he even takes the title from Rathalos who cheats because he flies everywhere.

"Oh nice pitfall bro, I'll just walk in a circle around it 4 times, taunt, jump over it twice and hit the people trying to lure me in there, walk around it one more time, and leave."

Chunky

Brachydios is the WORST for this, I think he even takes the title from Rathalos who cheats because he flies everywhere.

"Oh nice pitfall bro, I'll just walk in a circle around it 4 times, taunt, jump over it twice and hit the people trying to lure me in there, walk around it one more time, and leave."

Man, when a monster has it's foot a centimetre away from the trap and won't stop backhopping/taunting/panting only then to fly away. Frustration.

Ridley327

God, that first one last night was such a dick. Thankfully, the second one doesn't have too many options when you're dealing with area 9 on the Tundra. :D

kidko

Sorry if this has been asked, but I tried googling with no luck. Where is the best place to farm Hercudrones? I need them to finish my Wroggi S armor. Also, is it possible to create any weapon from scratch without upgrading it or are there certain weapons that can't be forged from scratch if you have the mats?

I had pretty good luck farming these from moga woods at night. I like it that way cuz it's quick to return to town and go out again

ryz

Man, when a monster has it's foot a centimetre away from the trap and won't stop backhopping/taunting/panting only then to fly away. Frustration.

Glad i'm not the only one :D I'm usually yelling a lot of bad things when this happens. And it happens a lot, because i'm just too greedy :|

DaBoss

Just got to HR5. I think Gigginox is the monster that gives me the most trouble. Nothing else comes close to how annoying Gigginox is. Both Baleful and normal.

Bought it after MH3U, played about two mansions in and haven't touched it since. Think its kinda overrated actually.

Don't be so quick to judge before you beat the game. :p

Just fought a Purple Ludroth for the first time. God damn, that was a hunt! First time since starting the game that I felt under-powered.

Welcome to High-Rank!

Just fought a Purple Ludroth for the first time. God damn, that was a hunt! First time since starting the game that I felt under-powered.
If you're experienced at the game, it's definitely the "shit just got real" fight. I carted twice on the fight because I forgot that high rank stops babying you with the supply provisions, so I had no answer to poison. There were so many times I was shouting "Fuck fuck fuck fuck" because I got poisoned again with one life left and had to play it very safe to not get hit at all until it wore off.

Then, I went out into Moga Woods at night when it was supposed to be a non-hostile environment, and a P. Ludroth enters area 1. -_-

Just got to HR5. I think Gigginox is the monster that gives me the most trouble. Nothing else comes close to how annoying Gigginox is.
I always para SnS him or use a GS. That mobility is just so useful. I feel like I can barely touch him with a hammer, though I beat him last time using one.

Ridley327

If you're experienced at the game, it's definitely the "shit just got real" fight. I carted twice on the fight because I forgot that high rank stops babying you with the supply provisions, so I had no answer to poison. There were so many times I was shouting "Fuck fuck fuck fuck" because I got poisoned again with one life left and had to play it very safe to not get hit at all until it wore off.

Then, I went out into Moga Woods at night when it was supposed to be a non-hostile environment, and a P. Ludroth enters area 1. -_-

The Moga Woods forecasts are less reliable than the weather forecasts on TV. Even the low rank forecasts tended to throw in some monsters you weren't expecting at all.

Welcome to High-Rank!

Feels good!

I had forgot as well, luckily I had some steaks and I'm always stocked with antidotes!

Chunky

Just got to HR5. I think Gigginox is the monster that gives me the most trouble. Nothing else comes close to how annoying Gigginox is. Both Baleful and normal.

I found the hunting horn to be pretty effective against him, specifically qurupeco's, since he's weak to fire and you get an earplugs song. Just keep bashing him!

Chuckpebble

Moga High rank? I just got there too. I used Wroggi armor and the rathalos Gunlance. I was pleasantly surprised when I trapped and tranq'd him only to find out I wasn't even halfway through. Nice new area, and a sweetspot for difficulty after being a little let down by low rank.

I come back to the village to find 3 pages of quests I can do now. My head is spinning and I have no idea where to begin.

Moga High rank? I just got there too. I used Wroggi armor and the rathalos Gunlance. I was pleasantly surprised when I trapped and tranq'd him only to find out I wasn't even halfway through. Nice new area, and a sweetspot for difficulty after being a little let down by low rank.

I come back to the village to find 3 pages of quests I can do now. My head is spinning and I have no idea where to begin.

I think I'm going to just start from the top, resisting every urge to go straight to Pink Rathian!

No date yet. Japan already got the Off-TV Play patch, so it's a matter of how long it takes them to work in the region-free play for the western territories.
Did anyone screen cap the new servers? It went live for a few minutes weeks ago.

Maybe they are waiting to ship more copies before releasing the patch.

kidko

No, by hitting him you just got him back beneath the HP threshold for capturing. Monsters can heal themselves a little bit by sleeping which might be what happened.

As for why he was captured after hitting him: you can 'pre-tranq' a monster, for example hitting something with two and then immediately luring it into a trap will result in a capture. A mistake a lot of newbies make when a monster doesn't go down after two tranqs is throwing more tranqs - instead, you should do what you did and go whack him a few times. More than once for me that's made it cross the HP threshold and fall asleep.

Tranqs do not last very long at all though, so this isn't 100% reliable.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about this either and was wasting extra tranqs.

Mugaaz

monster's are captured once they have lost 80% health, been trapped, and had enough tranq applied to them. Once all 3 requirements are met, they go down. These can be done in any order. I like to tranq monsters before they hit the trap often times so that I can do what you just did, get the damage up to where it needs to be just in case its not. The thing is, they recover quickly from the tranq's status, so you may need to throw more if you take too long.

It's not a set %(20) for all monsters. Every monster has a different threshold for capture. Some can be captured when they are at 40%, others are much lower.

blackflag

I found the hunting horn to be pretty effective against him, specifically qurupeco's, since he's weak to fire and you get an earplugs song. Just keep bashing him!

I think it must depend on what you fight Giggi with moreso than any other monster maybe?

I say that because I use hammer and I rank him right above Jaggi and Azureos in difficulty. Seriously just bash the crap out of him and he dies like nothing.

Septimius

How can I learn what elements a monster is weak to? I know the Barroth is weak to water when it has mud on it, and fire when it doesn't. Are these things just inferred in the game? I saw his description said "constantly covered in mud, maybe to hide from the heat?", combined with things like a Great Baggi is weak to Fire because it's in the tundra?

Mondriaan

How can I learn what elements a monster is weak to? I know the Barroth is weak to water when it has mud on it, and fire when it doesn't. Are these things just inferred in the game? I saw his description said "constantly covered in mud, maybe to hide from the heat?", combined with things like a Great Baggi is weak to Fire because it's in the tundra?

You either look these things up, ask online, or use trial and error (by using same type weapons with similar raw and element values and different elements and comparing quest completion times).

I usually just look at the stats on the armor pieces for said monster, it's ineffective kind of because it would require you to fight it once without knowing. There are certainly resources and easier ways, such as a quick google search.

Mupod

I wish there was more feedback for elemental damage. I don't usually need to look up raw damage hitzones because you can tell whether or not you're doing appreciable damage just based on how 'meaty' the hit feels. Or the blood effect.

With elements it can sometimes be intuitive, like the giant grass monster is weak to fire and the fish is weak to lightning. But then you look at Zinogre and it's 'I dunno lol'

One trick though is to look at its armor set. Generally, if the armor is super weak to an element, so is the monster.

dwix

Early on, it doesn't necessarily matter what skills come on your armor, at least for bows. However, as you're able to, finding armors with Status+, Fast Charge, and Awakening are especially helpful in your quest to have good armor.

Thank you for the tips! What do you feel are important qualities for the bow itself? I've read varying opinions on attack types (pierce vs rapid, etc.), but maybe that just depends on the monster?

I've got the Queen Blaster I right now, and am just starting to try and craft coatings, but it seems relatively weak. Hoping to upgrade it tonight.

I wish there was more feedback for elemental damage. I don't usually need to look up raw damage hitzones because you can tell whether or not you're doing appreciable damage just based on how 'meaty' the hit feels. Or the blood effect.

With elements it can sometimes be intuitive, like the giant grass monster is weak to fire and the fish is weak to lightning. But then you look at Zinogre and it's 'I dunno lol'

One trick though is to look at its armor set. Generally, if the armor is super weak to an element, so is the monster.
He is weak to ice. But ivory and the lagi are weak to fire. So there is no straight logo to electricity means ice weakness sadly

Even with 130 hours in the game so far, I keep the wiki open so I can check them. Not that it matters for online groups because so many people just use slime or the strongest weapon they have period. I quietly shake my head.

Well, I never really doubted that the internet would know, I just was curious to see if I could feel more like a monster hunter by somehow deducing their elemental weaknesses.
you would have to be very observational and count how many reduced hits than normal it takes to break something, etc. Like they said above though, defeat it once then check the armory for what their set is weak against

I don't want to have to trap a Brachydios ;-;

Man, just beat Lagiacrus for the first time, it was limping and going away, was in the water and was swimming for him when the ?A popped up to grab something, I ignored it as I was trying to kill him and thought it was just a plant or something in the water. Start fighting him again and notice his tail is sliced off. Thought it was just another animation ... then read about how the tail drop (for my DS upgrade) comes from cutting the tail off and carving it. =(

I am disappoint.

DPf4U.gif

Man, just beat Lagiacrus for the first time, it was limping and going away, was in the water and was swimming for him when the ?A popped up to grab something, I ignored it as I was trying to kill him and thought it was just a plant or something in the water. Start fighting him again and notice his tail is sliced off. Thought it was just another animation ... then read about how the tail drop (for my DS upgrade) comes from cutting the tail off and carving it. =(

I am disappoint.

DPf4U.gif

Don't worry, getting the tail is easy and you'll get better at it with every attempt. Using LS makes cutting the tail off way easier for me. Especially when it's on land.

Hoodbury

I seem to be having a harder time picking what armor to make vs what I did in Tri. Is it because there are just so many more? Or do the sets just seem to be setup with skills that aren't that appealing? Or is it just me?

DaBoss

That's good to hear. I think either LS or GS is going to be my secondary weapon I start learning with.

You may have gotten a tail from the rewards. Cutting off/breaking parts gives you a possibility of getting a reward, and by cutting off the tail, you could have possibly gotten a tail in the rewards.

I seem to be having a harder time picking what armor to make vs what I did in Tri. Is it because there are just so many more? Or do the sets just seem to be setup with skills that aren't that appealing? Or is it just me?

I'm having difficulty too. I just don't know why, but I just make what is available, unless I want a weapon badly. Armor sets, I just don't even make any of them.

I have 5 armor sets:
Leather (LR)
Rathalos (LR)
Zinogre (HR)
Brachydios (HR)
Narcacuga (HR)

Gonna start using the Light Bowgun for online since I got the Ancient LBG, God's Island. Just sounds awesome, plus has awesome shots that I like.

I need a good LBG armor, though. Maybe Narga X or Z?

Does affinity affect KO damage? I don't remember.

I think most of the good skills are on the G rank only, and anything that's good on the low rank armors is only on one piece. The skills are also generally not "made" for any weapon in particular. I felt like in Tri, there were more clear cut armor sets for various strategies. Now you have to mix and match no matter what until the G rank.

I've just been settling for my Jaggi armor thus far. AUM and Gourmand please me, and with all the new monsters the Halve Stun has come in handy a few times.

Hoodbury

Does affinity affect KO damage? I don't remember.

I think most of the good skills are on the G rank only, and anything that's good on the low rank armors is only on one piece. The skills are also generally not "made" for any weapon in particular. I felt like in Tri, there were more clear cut armor sets for various strategies. Now you have to mix and match no matter what until the G rank.

I've just been settling for my Jaggi armor thus far. AUM and Gourmand please me, and with all the new monsters the Halve Stun has come in handy a few times.

Ya, I am HR 7 now, skipped through HR 6 very fast and really feel like I need some G Rank armor but looking at the earlier G rank ones, I can't find anything appealing to me. I'll probably just go Jaggi again to help me get Blos. (GS user). After I get Blos, I'll have to start figuring out some good mixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom