• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

This game's gonna get mixed reviews for its graphics and perceived archaic interface and gameplay systems, but it doesn't matter. Do not listen to the haters. My only regret is not being able to support this game at launch. Damn, I need to get a Wii U soon.

gotee12

This game's gonna get mixed reviews for its graphics and perceived archaic interface and gameplay systems, but it doesn't matter! Do not listen to the haters. My only regret is not being able to support this game at launch. Damn, I need to get a Wii U soon.
I had to jump on the Target deal. Spent my $50 Target gift card on an eshop card which will make the MonHun download $10. I couldn't pass that up.

Doorman

Random question: am I the only one who likes celebrating victories over captured monsters by repeatedly kicking them in the face? It feels so cathartic.

Has anyone here ever encountered any sort of trolling in-game online in previous MH games? I haven't encountered any personally, but with the tools the game can give to a player - I thought there would be some griefers. Actually, it's silly of me to even think that. The MH community has been pretty awesome for me, but just wanted to see if anyone experienced such things.

Maybe not really griefing, but some people can be dicks in the game. Grabbing all the healing/stamina items in the chest so you get none. Running wildly into the group stabbing the monster and doing roundhouse attacks that knock away the rest of the team. Attacking you when you're trying to carve after the kill (some people find this really funny it seems). Going into a lobby and refusing to leave/afk:ing unless the group does a certain quest. Really wish they had upped the lobby size because the last one wastes a lot of time, or you have to go with just 3.

Yeah, I'm definitely not hurting by not being able to disembowel a monster in graphic detail. MH has always been inherently lighthearted, and that would be going way over the line.

Something to set aside for the gritty reboot, developed by Terminal Reality!

Day one.
Because it's monhun

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So I just started playing the Wii U demo, first time ever touching the MH franchise. A little help with the controls?

sensui-tomo

So one day later and I have both the wii u and 3ds version, incase anyone wants to know its the Meijer in Michigan 16 and van dyke. They had 3-4 copies for both versions.

also

Banned
So I just started playing the Wii U demo, first time ever touching the MH franchise. A little help with the controls?

Read the manual. Try out all your attacks in the first area so that you get a feel for how long it takes to execute them.
Try out different weapons until you find the one that feels right. Sword and shield and double blades offer the most mobility so you may want to start with them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Playing the demo. Goddamn I really really want to love these games but I still find the inability to cancel from attack animations incredibly frustrating. I end up taking way too much damage because it seems like my attack animation is longer then the tell-animation that shows the monster is about to attack. It doesn't help that on the 3DS the only camera control I can use is "L to Center"

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Playing the demo. Goddamn I really really want to love these games but I still find the inability to cancel from attack animations incredibly frustrating. I end up taking way too much damage because my attack animation is longer then the tell-animation that shows the monster is about to attack.

I think that these games have a huge barrier for entry if you are expecting them to play like a typical action game. If you've been playing some like Metal Gear Rising recently, then the combat is certainly gonna feel weird. I do think you should give it more time, as the combat is actually one of the most compelling aspects of these games, it's just waaaaaaay different than what you might expect when you get started. Maybe watch some videos to get an idea of how combat should flow?

Boney

Banned
Playing the demo. Goddamn I really really want to love these games but I still find the inability to cancel from attack animations incredibly frustrating. I end up taking way too much damage because it seems like my attack animation is longer then the tell-animation that shows the monster is about to attack. It doesn't help that on the 3DS the only camera control I can use is "L to Center"

Well...you can cancel by rolling to either side or forwards, which also grants you invulnerability frames

Zornica

Banned
Random question: am I the only one who likes celebrating victories over captured monsters by repeatedly kicking them in the face? It feels so cathartic.

be careful with kicking stuff.
once, back in tri, I kicked a rathalos to death by accident (we intended to capture it).

- yes, I am serious.

The Technomancer

I think that these games have a huge barrier for entry if you are expecting them to play like a typical action game. If you've been playing some like Metal Gear Rising recently, then the combat is certainly gonna feel weird. I do think you should give it more time, as the combat is actually one of the most compelling aspects of these games, it's just waaaaaaay different than what you might expect when you get started. Maybe watch some videos to get an idea of how combat should flow?

Well I've played the Wii game with Orayn before and after an hour or so of co-op I was starting to get it, but that was ages ago. Its not that I'm nessecarily against "slow but meaningful" combat, I get that your actions are supposed to have weight. Its just that I feel I don't have enough information: between struggling with the camera controls and having trouble recognizing that I need to dodge in time I spend a lot of the fighting just trying to get my character facing the monster with an opening to get in a single hit.

Beelzebub

You can cancel out of most things with rolling, what weapons/attacks are you having trouble with? you can also press the monster icon on the touch screen and L will center it on the monster instead, which for me at least eliminates any camera issues

The Technomancer

You can cancel out of most things with rolling, what weapons/attacks are you having trouble with? you can also press the monster icon on the touch screen and L will center it on the monster instead, which for me at least eliminates any camera issues

It would be nice if I could remap roll to L instead of B, so that I didn't have to shift my thumb from whatever attack I'm executing to an attempt to roll if I realize "oh shit I need to get out of here"

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Read the manual. Try out all your attacks in the first area so that you get a feel for how long it takes to execute them.
Try out different weapons until you find the one that feels right. Sword and shield and double blades offer the most mobility so you may want to start with them.

Press home, and look at the digital manual.

Check this thread for an FAQ: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508803

Check out this post for what each item does: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48082131&postcount=1579

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware there was a digital manual. Should be some where inside the actual game anyway if they want these games to take off.

daakusedo

I was just playing the demo against the rabbit and while I killed him in one try this time, it's true that things can feel slower than needed.
This guy was hurt and walking slowly to escape, me with my long sword I couldn't even catch him, running then bringing out the weapon, he has enough time to escape.

What am I seeing here?

It's not like Monster Hunter games in the past set the high mark of hyper-precision when it came to their controls.

If it's not charm tables, it's this kindof stuff...

Can't wait for the "screen tearing" and "framerate" folks too.
Unlike the other stuff, input lag is actually something that impacts the core gameplay though. If I'm understanding the video correctly, Ultimate is on the left and Tri is on the right. Both roll animations are synced in the video but the Ultimate player is pressing the button earlier than the Tri player. Not sure if it's a demo issue or not though - some clarification from those who got the game earlier would be appreciated!

I'm really hopomg that they bring the online app to the Wii as well. That would rock. Also, I've barely touched TRI because of a huge backlog, is it still worth keeping at this point?

Ridley327

I'm really hopomg that they bring the online app to the Wii as well. That would rock. Also, I've barely touched TRI because of a huge backlog, is it still worth keeping at this point?

MH3U has everything Tri has, and much, much, much more. With the servers going offline at the end of April, you'd be hardpressed to justify getting into it now.

remist

Playing the demo on the wii-u has me so hype. I'm pretty rusty.

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the bow. Is it a lot weaker than the other weapons?

This game has me contemplating a Wii U...

No need to contemplate, just buy it now.

Also I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the bow. Is it a lot weaker than the other weapons?

Its damage output is indeed pretty weak, but end-game bows with the right skillset such as Adrenaline, Critical Eye and Attack up Large will make them pretty good.

Yea, they are weaker weapons. Well the bow keeps you out of harm's way for most of the battle tbh, the less risk you take yourself the less damage you'll do as well.

sensui-tomo

for as many people who have the game early barely anyone is playing online :/ wish more would play, need some practice as i have become incredibly rusty :/
gotta get used to controls again since playing 3rd

Doorman

https://twitter.com/dubindoh/status/312275975528394752

Awww! Darn it... was hoping it would release at 9PM PST on Monday night just like Nintendo releases.

FFFF, what?! Noon release EST?! Well that certainly puts a damper on my mood. I have that day off work and planned to spend the morning working through offline stuff before hopping online in the afternoon. The hell's the point of taking a day off when I can't even use half of the day for what I want anymore?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom