• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Brachydios gems are ridiculous. I managed to get gems from Goldbeard, Jhen, Rath, but never Brachy no matter how many times I capture him. And all I need is 1. Desire sensor indeed.

I got one the first time I fought him, which was super useful to get the Dios Axe+ very quickly, but never one again in the next 12 or so times that I've killed/captured him.

ramyeon

I got one the first time I fought him, which was super useful to get the Dios Axe+ very quickly, but never one again in the next 12 or so times that I've killed/captured him.
I've fought/captured him over 20 times in the past few days lol.

And that's exactly what I'm trying to upgrade.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Me and the bf just did the urgent Lagiacrus quest in HR1 in the tavern - I went up to HR2 but he didn't - am I missing something? he has the quest available to do himself but joined mine. (Not sure if there's a difference) should he have levelled up too?

Ken

Me and the bf just did the urgent Lagiacrus quest in HR1 in the tavern - I went up to HR2 but he didn't - am I missing something? he has the quest available to do himself but joined mine. (Not sure if there's a difference) should he have levelled up too?

He has to host it.

DaBoss

For all the people who search ressources and beyond. Try this:

MH 3 Ultimate Database

Wow, this is awesome.

Pawprint Stamps are so TOUGH TO GET! Grrr I want my fully upgraded Felyoshka!

I usually just get them during normal quests where the felynes go underground and leave a shiny.

Hey guys, where would one find sound effects from all of the monsters?

To narrow it down, the Deviljho, Great Jaggi, and Rathalos.

I need some new ringtones and Windows theme sounds, figured I'd choose my favorite monsters.

Try finding their sounds on YouTube.

Qurupeke

Brachydios gems are ridiculous. I managed to get gems from Goldbeard, Jhen, Rath, but never Brachy no matter how many times I capture him. And all I need is 1. Desire sensor indeed.
Don't speak until you need pallium... Btw, I've managed to get three gems on one hunt. :)

Almyn

Nice! I just got 2 rath plates from my first Rathalos kill. 1 from a carve of his tail and the other in the rewards box.

Mupod

I have my Stygian Tristitia at last! Stygian Zinogre is no big deal, just much harder to hit him when he's powering up due to the lightning. It's actually easier to hit him when he's firing his orbs than the regular one, and you can get inside him to hide from his balls. Er...it's not as dirty as it sounds, really.

Got kinda lucky with a Skymerald. It's funny because we were yelling at the random not to capture, and he did it anyways. But then I got it in the rewards and I was all GOOD JOB MAN GOOD JOB!

My one fear going into the fight was my -25 dragon resist, but if you eat the food which gives dragon res (L) and get felyne dragonslayer, that goes up to 8. I guess massive negative resists are no longer an issue in this version, which is nice. The anti-element buffs seem to get more potent the lower your resist is. Or maybe they just set it to a certain value? Should test it sometime.

Also needed Ivory Lagi Piels and apparently the only place to fight him is in a dual mission with a Gobul? I don't have anything past the basic HR7 quests but that's pretty dumb if true. Seems like Deviljho almost always shows up in advanced quests as well so I'm gonna start bringing felyne dungmaster for those.

Next goal is narga x gloves, which won't be easy because it requires a mantle. But I like fighting Nargacuga. The chest was easy to make and is the most important part of the set, because as far as I know it's the only thing with evade skills and handicraft. So combining it with Torso Up pieces results in some extremely good evade armor setups. Which is nice for Hunting Horns, since playing your songs often results in getting stuck in awkward places. I used most of my Tru Armor Spheres to fully upgrade it, man you need a lot of those.

PROTIP: when trying out a new hunting horn, don't sit in the equipment menu reading the song list against enraged g-rank diablos. It won't end well.

also

Banned
I've been fighting Diablos this past couple of days because it's fun trying to locate the openings. I have a question about long sword: In this video at 5.05-5.15 you can see the player hitting the end bit of the tail, what's the effect of this? does it help damage the tail? and, could he eventually chop it off by hitting like that?

I understand that when the attacks bounce off my weapon becomes dull more quickly, I just don't know if there is any use in attacking the tail like that. I always do my attacks perpendicular to the tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRcydHY81Y

Also: I don't use any traps at all unless it's for capturing.
Hits that bounce off do damage and you can cut a tail with them. It's better to avoid bouncing hits because they reduce attacking speed and those parts are usually more heavily armoured so you do less damage.

Does anyone know if slime explosions caused by a blademaster weapon help in cutting tails?

It occurred to me that I might be getting bored because I'm playing solo so in a moment of weakness... I bought a Wii U MH bundle

I'm hoping its not actually in stock and the order gets cancelled. If it is though...
:D

Fewr

Needs a version that works on OSX :(

Well, the zip file comes with a ms access database. Couldn't you open that in some other program and work with that?

Hits that bounce off do damage and you can cut a tail with them. It's better to avoid bouncing hits because they reduce attacking speed and those parts are usually more heavily armoured so you do less damage.

Does anyone know if slime explosions caused by a blademaster weapon help in cutting tails?
Ah, ok thanks.

Mondriaan

I'm fairly sure slime explosions don't directly help except in the case of duramboros. Probably you're better off going with an appropriate element and the destroyer skill.

Mupod

I think in 2nd gen and earlier, any damage done to a tail counted towards cutting it off but only cutting weapons could do so. So you could bomb tails or hammer them and finish it with a boomerang.

I could be full of shit though. It's been a long time and I don't remember if I ever managed to get that to work or not.

Anyways as far as I know in this version, only cutting damage counts towards removing tails.

explodet

Last night we tried the Colored Beasts event quest, and
Brachydios
kept crashing the party. It would be almost okay if it was Joe who showed up, that's just what he does. But him, of all monsters? At least him and Zinogre didn't like being in the same room as each other. And I have to do this at least 4 more times to get the Sinister Saints axe? Bleh.

I then tried Bracky in HR4 solo, and that was kinda painful too. Wingus and Dingus kept getting blown to smithereens and spent half the fight comatose. Did manage to break one of his arms (never done that before) but no pounder dropped, sigh.

Ah well. Tonight will be another hunt.

ramyeon

Brachydios
kept crashing the party. It would be almost okay if it was Joe who showed up, that's just what he does. But him, of all monsters? At least him and Zinogre didn't like being in the same room as each other. And I have to do this at least 4 more times to get the Sinister Saints axe? Bleh.

I then tried Bracky in HR4 solo, and that was kinda painful too. Wingus and Dingus kept getting blown to smithereens and spent half the fight comatose. Did manage to break one of his arms (never done that before) but no pounder dropped, sigh.

Ah well. Tonight will be another hunt.
You don't necessarily have to do it 4 more times. I got two of the weapon plans in one run sometimes. Just ignore Brachy or dung bomb him and it's a really quick quest to finish. He has the largest health pool of all the monsters in that quest and since you don't need to kill him it's better to just ignore him.

Mupod

Brachydios

I find it pretty interesting how certain monsters behave around one another, it can't all just be random. Some change areas immediately when Joe shows up, whereas at least in Tri Barioth would drop everything he was doing to go fight him. Crimson Peco is apparently his BFF and they follow each other around.

Funniest is seeing Volvidon go NOPE NOPE NOPE and immediately leave after he walks into an area with an enraged Black Diablos.

Also one time I watched Wroggi walk in, poison Uragaan, and leave. Thanks bro!

Fistwell

the food which gives dragon res (L)
Hey this is relevant to my interests. Which combination gives that?

Brachydios
kept crashing the party.
He's got quite a bit more health than the other monsters too, which are down to their multi-monster quests standards. (I actually thought brachy was part of the quest)

DaBoss

I always use the upgraded water long sword that the Argosy Captain gives you when facing Brachydios. I find the long sword to be good against Brachydios since it is fast, does a lot of damage, and it has reach.

When I break all of its parts and cut off its tail, I know that is when I should cap it, so that is a bonus.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question for those of you with both versions:

Can you play local co-op using the same character (save) on both your Wii U and the 3DS?

Or do I need to make a new friend-coming-over-to-play save on the 3DS ? :D

Mupod

Do you need to be HR8+ to fight Lucent Narga or Gold/Silver Raths? Basically, I want Elder Dragonbones from the Tower but I'm HR7 with no key quests done. But if I can join someone else's posted quest that's one way of doing it. Need dat skull mask.

Weird question for those of you with both versions:

Can you play local co-op using the same character (save) on both your Wii U and the 3DS?

Or do I need to make a new friend-coming-over-to-play save on the 3DS ? :D

I'm pretty sure you can't play as the same character save. When you transfer a character to your ds or Wii u a message appears telling you that you need to make a new save or something like that.

Mondriaan

Do you need to be HR8+ to fight Lucent Narga or Gold/Silver Raths? Basically, I want Elder Dragonbones from the Tower but I'm HR7 with no key quests done. But if I can join someone else's posted quest that's one way of doing it. Need dat skull mask.

Yeah, you have to be HR8+ (for the tower quests).

daxy

Did the same thing for a while, but I got it after my 6th run or so. According to the Bradygames Guide it's a 4% drop when you carve. Way I figured it, that's three times a 4% chance to carve that sucker. In addition, it's another 4% drop on his tail, so that's already four times it can possibly drop.

I didn't see the gem in the cap rewards in the guide, so there's no reason to cap except shaving a couple of minutes off your time. The normal rewards for doing the quest aren't listed, but if it's in there it's also gonna be there if I kill the guy, increasing the odds of it dropping even more compared to capping.

Hope this helps :D

ramyeon

Did the same thing for a while, but I got it after my 6th run or so. According to the Bradygames Guide it's a 4% drop when you carve. Way I figured it, that's three times a 4% chance to carve that sucker. In addition, it's another 4% drop on his tail, so that's already four times it can possibly drop.

I didn't see the gem in the cap rewards in the guide, so there's no reason to cap except shaving a couple of minutes off your time. The normal rewards for doing the quest aren't listed, but if it's in there it's also gonna be there if I kill the guy, increasing the odds of it dropping even more compared to capping.

Hope this helps :D
Oh wow okay, I'll make sure to just kill him from now then. Thanks a lot!

Is the Circle Pad Pro recommended for playing the game on the 3DS? I thought I heard that it is better, though I wanted to get GAF's opinion. :)
Yeah, if you can get it then it is much better. Not unplayable without it though.

Hoodbury

Dang, G-rank solo is tough while still wearing high rank armor; lol. Green pleso got me twice before I could finish him off playing it extra careful.

Well I'm 63 hours into this game and I'm only HR4. Thing is I could be much higher but I got 3 other friends addicted to this game and I have to teach them the ropes and help them get geared out, it's crazy because I'm new to this game and I don't know nearly as much as most of the veterans on this board. I have 4/5 brachy gear on me but I need to kick agnaktors ass at level 5 to get the last item for the chest piece for Brachy. Curse the fuckin drop rate of the Brachy gem. I need one more to upgrade my dios switch axe and it took me 3 hours for one to drop for a piece of my armor. I love this game it's my new addiction.

Mupod

High rank Narga armor upgraded with heavy armor spheres is perfect for surviving early g-rank. Especially dual brachy. Makes Plesioth easy too. It's not so good for GS though, and iirc it's what Hoodbury uses.

I see people saying not to get used to evade+1 because you get spoiled by it but I disagree. I mean, it took some practice but I frequently roll through roars and attacks I should not be able to, which gives me more opportunities for attacks. I don't seem to have much more trouble when I'm not using it, but the only time that happens is when I'm using a hammer which is a safer weapon than HH and DS.

Mondriaan

I'm at HR50 and I'm still using a set that is mostly high rank g. agna pieces upgraded up to the point where I would have to start using true armor spheres for further upgrading, which I don't plan to do.

I would rather work on filling out my badges or do some quest I haven't done yet than grind some boss for rare drops needed for armor sets, though.

Ultratech

Got 2 last night from doing the dual Brachy quests.
From tail carves at that.

Just gotta finish my Urgent and I'm on my way to HR7.

explodet

I find it pretty interesting how certain monsters behave around one another, it can't all just be random. Some change areas immediately when Joe shows up, whereas at least in Tri Barioth would drop everything he was doing to go fight him. Crimson Peco is apparently his BFF and they follow each other around.

Funniest is seeing Volvidon go NOPE NOPE NOPE and immediately leave after he walks into an area with an enraged Black Diablos.
Yeah, always interesting to see that. In Colored Beasts Brachy and Zinogre were in the same area, and both left to different areas, leaving us alone with some Jaggis. They must have a non-aggression pact or something.
Also one time I watched Wroggi walk in, poison Uragaan, and leave. Thanks bro!
Wroggi's a dick. Not a gigantic prick like C. Peco, but still.

Mupod

Does anyone want to farm Nibblesnarf G-Rank later this week? I want that armor for my GS.

I actually really want to get a GS set up and running, but I'm not sure what I'd need aside from snarf armor. I refuse to use GS without focus and crit draw. I also want whatever the King Atillart Sword is called in this game, the diablos one that looks like a big bone axe.

I also want the Uber Deathsnarfs DS because they are called Uber Deathsnarfs.

Chuckpebble

Is the Circle Pad Pro recommended for playing the game on the 3DS? I thought I heard that it is better, though I wanted to get GAF's opinion. :)

I'm very happy with the way the game plays without a right stick. Target lock is amazing. The only time I use the touch camera controls is when I'm dealing with small, non-targetable monsters or dealing with that one really huge boring monster where you don't have a lot of space to maneuver around him and the target points you at the center of his body.

There are a lot of instances where the lock on is better than a right stick.
Underwater, when the monster ends up above or below and moves past vertical. You'd waste lots of time turning to face them manually where I just tap L and then push up and X to charge in at them.
Agnaktor is good too. While monster's are underground, the target icon greys and you can't use the lock, but it's pretty easy to see when it becomes available again and quickly turn to where he popped up. In Tri, I had many situations where I found out where he ended up just in time to eat a laser to the face.

With the touch screen d-pad, I wish there was an option to just make the touchscreen work like a trackpad. Then it'd be flawless.

Mondriaan

Agnaktor is good too. While monster's are underground, the target icon greys and you can't use the lock, but it's pretty easy to see when it becomes available again and quickly turn to where he popped up. In Tri, I had many situations where I found out where he ended up just in time to eat a laser to the face.
An old school MH technique was to sprint in a circular fashion and observe when your character is not doing the panic run. Panic runs don't happen when you run directly toward the monster, but IIRC there is a cat or armor skill in Tri Ultimate that lets you panic run in any direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom