• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Circle pad pro is totally better. Why? You can move the camera around without having your thumb leave the ABXY buttons. It took the best part of clawing. Touch dpad just doesnt compare. It also made holding an XL a lot more comfy.

DaBoss

I find it pretty interesting how certain monsters behave around one another, it can't all just be random. Some change areas immediately when Joe shows up, whereas at least in Tri Barioth would drop everything he was doing to go fight him. Crimson Peco is apparently his BFF and they follow each other around.

Funniest is seeing Volvidon go NOPE NOPE NOPE and immediately leave after he walks into an area with an enraged Black Diablos.

Also one time I watched Wroggi walk in, poison Uragaan, and leave. Thanks bro!

I'm pretty sure I've seen Jho attack monsters even while I'm in the same area.

Had an excellent experience with a guy called JOHN (brilliant naming skills) on the EU servers last night. I found a room looking for people to do HR6 key quests and joined to find two guys in there already on a quest. I noticed one was HR7 and one was somewhere in the 40s. Here's how the 'conversation' went;

Me: Hey guys. Are you still doing HR6 quests.
JOHN: yes
Me: Funky. I'll wait.

*five minutes or so go by, they finish the quest and get back to the port*

JOHN: WHAT?
Me: huh?
JOHN: What is funky??
Me: That you're still doing HR6 quests.
JOHN: SO WHAT?
Me: ?
JOHN: SO WHAT THAT I'M DOING HR6??
Me: I don't get what you're asking.
JOHN: YOU DON'T HAVE TO STAY
JOHN: IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT **** OFF

*I get removed from the room*

First bellend I've met on here in two and a half weeks, seriously hard of thinking.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Jho attack monsters even while I'm in the same area.

I've seen Jho chow down on tranquillised monsters during the victory screen, and I've seen him start chomping on his own severed tail. He's a growing boy.

ryz

Is the Circle Pad Pro recommended for playing the game on the 3DS? I thought I heard that it is better, though I wanted to get GAF's opinion. :)

Well, i usually play on the Wii U and only when i'm not at home/in bed on the 3DS XL. I think the CPP is recommended, but not needed. EXCEPT for underwater combat. Sure, you can press the target cam button, bur it usually CENTERS on the monster. This means if you're targeting a certain part of a monster (for example Lagiacrus' head for Horns), you're going to have a REALLY bad time manually repositioning via the not-so-sensitive touchpad. This has cost me some virtual lives and a lot of nerves.

I refuse to farm underwater monsters on a 3DS without a CPP. I'm A LOT more efficient with a second stick.

That said, in my opinion everything on land is perfectly fine without the CPP, because you don't have to adjust vertically.

persongr

After so many Rathalos hunts, I'm starting to believe Rathalos Plate does not exist. It is only a myth among hunters.

I want my Brother Blazes :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got this along with my 3DS today. First monster hunter, and while I completely understand now why people bitch about the animations, I think I'm getting hooked.

Learning right now to pick my weapons carefully though. First great jaggi fight: 40 minutes of frustration with a bone blaster and ended up losing. 2nd time: Iron hammer in 5 mins. Felt good smashing that sunuvabitch.

muu

wonder how bad lag is going to be w/ a cross region patch. Just yesterday I was playing w/ a guy that was consistently moving towards where narga was a few seconds ago. If what I've read before is correct the boss monsters are synced by player but hitboxes are dependent on what the host sees, and if that's the case there's gonna be a ton of dodging nonexistent attacks that were unleashed 400ms ago.

Sweet, really glad I'll be able to pour more hours into this without the woman lamenting the loss of her soap operas when off-TV play comes out.

Context seemed to indicate that he was asking what "funky" meant, though. (Funky means tiger.)

In retrospect yeah, that seems to be what he was asking. Perhaps thinking that me saying 'funky' was a slight against him doing HR6 quests when he was HR7. You have to ask what kind of paranoid dick would jump to that conclusion though, and what kind of aggressive mouthbreather would react like that.

According to the Monster Hunter facebook page, the patch for off-screen play and united servers is coming on April 16!
i0rNOsEfoo6CV.jpg

Chuckpebble

Got this along with my 3DS today. First monster hunter, and while I completely understand now why people bitch about the animations, I think I'm getting hooked.

Learning right now to pick my weapons carefully though. First great jaggi fight: 40 minutes of frustration with a bone blaster and ended up losing. 2nd time: Iron hammer in 5 mins. Felt good smashing that sunuvabitch.

I'm guessing you didn't buy any ammo and were only using Normal Level 1 shots the whole time? Gunning is very complicated and expensive starting off.

I'm very happy with the way the game plays without a right stick. Target lock is amazing. The only time I use the touch camera controls is when I'm dealing with small, non-targetable monsters or dealing with that one really huge boring monster where you don't have a lot of space to maneuver around him and the target points you at the center of his body.

There are a lot of instances where the lock on is better than a right stick.
Underwater, when the monster ends up above or below and moves past vertical. You'd waste lots of time turning to face them manually where I just tap L and then push up and X to charge in at them.
Agnaktor is good too. While monster's are underground, the target icon greys and you can't use the lock, but it's pretty easy to see when it becomes available again and quickly turn to where he popped up. In Tri, I had many situations where I found out where he ended up just in time to eat a laser to the face.

With the touch screen d-pad, I wish there was an option to just make the touchscreen work like a trackpad. Then it'd be flawless.

You can use both at the same time, which is what I do. It's the optimal way to play, and I just suck it up and carry frankenstick with me now.

Hoodbury

You can throw a bunch of heavy armor spheres at it, they're not rare and have a nice return on investment. I probably wouldn't bother with tru spheres on high-rank armor but I guess that's arguable.

Ya, I'm not going to do anymore upgrades to it now. I'm 1 Jaggi scale+ away from full jaggi G rank armor. That's how I got into fighting plesio solo; I was in a lobby doing Jaggi farming and the host ended the room when I was one scale away from finishing the set so I thought I'd try one myself since no other rooms were coming up in search.

In the lobby we were farming the 2 jaggi and 2 volvi's but I wanted to try the 2 jaggi and 1 green plesio solo. It was actually kinda neat fighting the two jaggies at the same time, one was a gold crown large and the other was a gold crown small so it was like seeing a momma and baby fighting together. lol.

And of course after that grueling fight with pleso I didn't get any jaggi scales. :( That was also only my second and third time carting in the game too, so that was kinda sad. My only other cart was when it was just Mupod and me doing HR Blos and we had the dumb thing in it's sleeping quarters and it raged after getting woken up and pinned him at the wall carting him, and then it pinned me at the other wall carting me. I think we both had just transitioned to HR and were still in our LR undies.

So excite for the patch. 3DS version falls further into irrelevancy, thank you Capgods.

Not for me. I've got 80 hours between both versions. I ride the subway every day, and that means I get 2+ hours of MonHun during my commute. I use the 3DS version for Street Passing, completing Village Quests, and gathering resources/zenny, and the WiiU version for online hunting.

Lokbob

How the hell do you fight Jhen Moran?

I broke both his weakpoints on him and a tusk in the first phase.
Both Dragonators hit perfectly, i broke both his arms and defended all attacks i could with gong and binding ballister.

...and the freaking ship still gets destroyed?

I'm not him/her but I can answer. In my experience, the 3DS on the XL is better than the original. It seems like the depth scaled to the size of the screen almost. With the regular 3DS using the 3D felt like I had beer goggles on or something, constantly trying to peer around the edges of the screen because of the size.

I have the 3D slider up all the time as well, I really miss the effect when it's off.

I kind of was afraid you would say that. And I agree with the 3D in the original 3DS - I find myself trying to "look inside" the screen too but its not that big of a deal. The 3D is just so good and I kept telling myself that at least with the smaller screen I was experiencing better 3D. I should keep my head buried in that sand more often and not ask questions that I don't really want to know the answer to. ;)

Don't have enough funds currently to be spending it on a new 3DS XL although I might upgrade once the XL CPP is ever released in the US without having to import it.

Thanks for the info.

Mileena

Banned
Not for me. I've got 80 hours between both versions. I ride the subway every day, and that means I get 2+ hours of MonHun during my commute. I use the 3DS version for Street Passing, completing Village Quests, and gathering resources/zenny, and the WiiU version for online hunting.
I don't ever use my handhelds outside so portability is a moot point. I just wanted to farm and mine on the shitter and in bed.

Just wait until you encounter great jaggi's in moga woods like they aren't much more of a threat than a standard trash mob like a regular jaggi. THEN you'll know you've come a long way ;)

(Although even a lowly G. Jaggi still demands some respect even in high rank - a couple of hip checks in a row while not paying attention and wearing gathering specced leather armor with real low defense really hurts!)

I don't ever use my handhelds outside so portability is a moot point. I just wanted to farm and mine on the shitter and in bed.

HR Volcano charm/rustshard gathering runs while taking a "potty break" rules. :)
EDIT: Spoiler tags used in case you may be grossed out -
(now doing the charm/rustshard runs while *having* the runs may not be quite as enjoyable).

Is the Circle Pad Pro recommended for playing the game on the 3DS? I thought I heard that it is better, though I wanted to get GAF's opinion. :)

Love it, imported 2 of the XL versions for mine and the fiance's. It's so much better. Like some have said it's not 'unplayable' by any means without it, but it's so much better with. Plus it frees up that space on the screen to put something more useful there besides a 'virtual D-pad'.

Pastry

Banned
I really want to play this game for the 3DS but the lack of online multiplayer bothers me. Is it worth it for the single player alone? Or should I just wait and pray that MH4 has online multiplayer and gets released in the US?

Ridley327

I really want to play this game for the 3DS but the lack of online multiplayer bothers me. Is it worth it for the single player alone? Or should I just wait and pray that MH4 has online multiplayer and gets released in the US?

MH4 was shown off at TGS last year with actual online multiplayer, so you can save those prayers for more western announcement-related wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom