• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

I really want to play this game for the 3DS but the lack of online multiplayer bothers me. Is it worth it for the single player alone? Or should I just wait and pray that MH4 has online multiplayer and gets released in the US?

I find the single-player worth it. It is really fun. MH4 will have online, so you can get that, but a western release isn't confirmed. Or you can get this and beat it solo
and increase the chances of it coming to the west more often. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really want to play this game for the 3DS but the lack of online multiplayer bothers me. Is it worth it for the single player alone? Or should I just wait and pray that MH4 has online multiplayer and gets released in the US?

The Ultimate version adds a second partner character you eventually unlock for single player, meaning you can play solo with 2 AI party members. There's a fairly large amount of single player content. The fun factor is obviously higher in multiplayer. A lot of people do enjoy playing single player and have put a lot of hours into it. There's more quests in the single player Moga Village after you finish what had previously been the end of the offline story mode.

Based on what I can see, it's a bit more fleshed out as a single player experience than the original version of Tri.

Mupod

I played MHFU for hundreds of hours solo before I ever played with others in Tri. I played through the singleplayer in its entirety before I did much of the multiplayer in this one, it took me 70+ hours and I'm already familiar with the game and most of the fights from previous games. So, I'd say it's worth it even if you stop there, and that's only a fraction of the game's content (all of which is available offline).

MH4 will have online, and I don't think they'd put that in if they didn't plan to bring it over here. So hey, if you get past the learning curve in MH3U then you'll already be prepared for that one.

Get it. While the MP is icing on the cake, the cake is still really good by itself. Especially since we will (hopefully) be seeing MH4 later this year it gives you a few months to really enjoy this one. Plus, you never know, you might find somebody else willing to play!

Fistwell

Wait so I don't need elder dragon blood to upgrade epitaph!?!?!?! MUUAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAHAAHAHAH!!!!! MIIIIINNEEEE!!! AAAALL MIIIIINNNEEE!!!

Doorman

Thanks to other life stuff, I haven't played Monster Hunter in, like, two days. It feels so much longer than that, like I'm a week removed from what I should be doing.

I'll likely be looking to do some high rank Uragaan farming tonight, if anyone is interested. I want that armor.

Edit: I should note that by "tonight" I mean like 6 or 7 hours from now. Having work until 7pm is a bummer for hunting time.

Chuckpebble

6* Moga Village has an interesting quest. Siren's Song. If you skip right through the quest description, you'd think it was a simple Qurupecco hunt, but it's actually set up like a harvest tour quest, you don't have to actually kill anything, just turn in a paw pass ticket or survive the whole 50 minutes.

It's a danger quest, so I'm assuming Pecco calls a random large monster. Does he call another if you finish the first off? Could I possibly get to a HR Rathalos early in this quest?

Thanks to other life stuff, I haven't played Monster Hunter in, like, two days. It feels so much longer than that, like I'm a week removed from what I should be doing.

I'll likely be looking to do some high rank Uragaan farming tonight, if anyone is interested. I want that armor.

Edit: I should note that by "tonight" I mean like 6 or 7 hours from now. Having work until 7pm is a bummer for hunting time.

I'll join you. US right? I'll be home and ready to play at 7:00pm Central tonight. That's the usual time I'm on during the week.

Also, anyone else think it might be a good idea to redo the spreadsheet? It would be nice to have everyone's Hunter name included on it. A column for when people are usually available to play might be nice too, as well as having an updated list of everyone who is actively playing the game now since I'm guessing that not all 214 people on the list are playing the game.

6* Moga Village has an interesting quest. Siren's Song. If you skip right through the quest description, you'd think it was a simple Qurupecco hunt, but it's actually set up like a harvest tour quest, you don't have to actually kill anything, just turn in a paw pass ticket or survive the whole 50 minutes.

It's a danger quest, so I'm assuming Pecco calls a random large monster. Does he call another if you finish the first off? Could I possibly get to a HR Rathalos early in this quest?

I've never seen Peco summon a Rathalos before. It's either a Great Jaggi, Rathian or Deviljho (High/G Rank) for me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Circle Pad Pro recommended for playing the game on the 3DS? I thought I heard that it is better, though I wanted to get GAF's opinion. :)

Yes! I got one, and it helps so much, especially underwater! :)

I'm pretty sure you can't play as the same character save. When you transfer a character to your ds or Wii u a message appears telling you that you need to make a new save or something like that.

Hm. ah, ok. I'll check it out when I get my Wii U this week-end anyway.

AGITΩ

Its been days since I turned on my Wii U thanks to Pokemon B2, but I'm back on it. Hoping to get a Full Brachy set either today or tomorrow...more than likely tomorrow, since on HR4.

Kyzon

My guild cards wont save. Anyone know how to fix it? :(

Also, I'm going online for a bit if anyone wants to. Don't see anyone in the usual US place now though.

Edit: NVM found a room XD

You're kidding me right? :(

That is the single most confusing quest for completion requirements I've ever taken. In one part of the quest it says to survive (like a gather quest) but then it says you fail if the time expires before hunting 2 Qurupecoes. I took that to mean that I had to kill 2 Quru's (which I did) but I would have never bothered hunting those annoying birds if all I had to do was to survive for two minutes and turn in a pawpass ticket. ;)

Oh well. At least I completed it the first try then... with style!
Had to keep throwing poo bombs at a Jho with the first Quru but wierdly enough I don't remember the second one ever calling for Jho. Guess Jho got sick of me slinging shit at him and decided he wouldn't keep falling for the Quru's tricks? :)

Mondriaan

I"M ALWAYS MAKING THESE ROOMS.
Gaw, why can't you guys just like, be on when I get on? Jeez.
You guys know the drill.

The absolute worst online aspect of the game is that you can't tool around in the village/moga woods/offline Tanzania and check if any of your friends are playing Tri Ultimate online. Well, that, and you can't in-game message your friends who are playing Ultimate and are playing local mode/"offline".

persongr

FINALLY! The elusive Rathalos Plate now belongs to me!

Now for the 8 Rathian Carapaces. -_- *exhausted*

In other news, I was collecting Hercudromes earlier tonight, and decided to do the C.Qurupeco quest at the same time. While casually fighting the flamboyant bird, a Deviljho decides to appear out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting that, I thought the bird would have the decency to summon something actually manageable. Needless to say, the Deviljho prayed on me more than often. Pffffff.

C.T.

how to I progress to 6 star in solo player? I defeated the lagacrus or how he's called but don't want to do the hot egg thing. Finally forged a wroggi set. Nullify poison is neat.

I can't get big fins though. I thought you get them from the sharks in moga area 11 but no luck so far.

Schwabe

You're kidding me right? :(

That is the single most confusing quest for completion requirements I've ever taken. In one part of the quest it says to survive (like a gather quest) but then it says you fail if the time expires before hunting 2 Qurupecoes. I took that to mean that I had to kill 2 Quru's (which I did) but I would have never bothered hunting those annoying birds if all I had to do was to survive for two minutes and turn in a pawpass ticket. ;)

Oh well. At least I completed it the first try then... with style!
Had to keep throwing poo bombs at a Jho with the first Quru but wierdly enough I don't remember the second one ever calling for Jho. Guess Jho got sick of me slinging shit at him and decided he wouldn't keep falling for the Quru's tricks? :)

i killed the intruder
[alive jho is bad jho!]
and after that the second peco with a couple of minutes left on the clock. after "Mark of a Hero" my longest quest at moga village ... pure epicness though :D

@C.T.
just keep on playing, talk to the argosy captain or look behind the farm, there's a statue in the cave ... don't remember what triggers the next step xD

for powderstone: craft the loc lac armor, eat for "felyne lander" at the canteen and you have a easy quest with the help of 2 dash juice ... just jump down and go through the other 3 areas to the camp. same thing for the egg @ deserted island, just jump down from 8 to 4, with felyne lander - no problem. (helps a lot to make DLC Quest "island egg hunt" solo in 5min for exquisite steak and the Kebab-Boo Mask).

Mupod

how to I progress to 6 star in solo player? I defeated the lagacrus or how he's called but don't want to do the hot egg thing. Finally forged a wroggi set. Nullify poison is neat.

I can't get big fins though. I thought you get them from the sharks in moga area 11 but no luck so far.

get a skill called pro transporter and eat the food that gives felyne lander so you can jump off the ledge in the powderstone gathering area, that quest will take a few minutes at most. Even less if you bring a dash juice or use an infinite stamina hunting horn

C.T.

i killed the intruder
[alive jho is bad jho!]
and after that the second peco with a couple of minutes left on the clock. after "Mark of a Hero" my longest quest at moga village ... pure epicness though :D

@C.T.
just keep on playing, talk to the argosy captain or look behind the farm, there's a statue in the cave ... don't remember what triggers the next step xD

for powderstone: craft the loc lac armor, eat for "felyne lander" at the canteen and you have a easy quest with the help of 2 dash juice ... just jump down and go through the other 3 areas to the camp. same thing for the egg @ deserted island, just jump down from 8 to 4, with felyne lander - no problem. (helps a lot to make DLC Quest "island egg hunt" solo in 5min for exquisite steak and the Kebab-Boo Mask).

Thx (and Mupod) read about the loc lac before but don't have the items to craft it. I don't know where to get arthios jaws and tail I think. I only have the cest plate so far.

i killed the intruder
[alive jho is bad jho!]

I'm too chicken to really go after him yet but soon..... soon..... perhaps the next day or so. I want to see what all the fuss is about :)

Mondriaan

You get big fins from killing delex, which are the desert marlin looking "fish" that travel in packs. Sonic bombs make farming them less annoying. Maybe bring large barrel bombs and small barrel bombs as well, to use immediately after the sonic bombs bring a few up.

Big fins might also show up as rewards in the monster guts quest in the Sandy Plains (where you will hunt delex anyway).

Fistwell

Wait so I don't need elder dragon blood to upgrade epitaph!?!?!?! MUUAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAHAAHAHAH!!!!! MIIIIINNEEEE!!! AAAALL MIIIIINNNEEE!!!
Hahaha, that's a LOT of earth crystals... I wouldn't even keep earth crystal recently when running volcano gathering Qs and running out of room.

44 to go.

And 90Kz.

Chunky

Day 3, Hunter's Log:
Still the elusive Wyvern Stone evades my grasp. After seemingly endless Qurupeco and Barroth, I have moved on to the J. Barroth/ Gigginox quest. Days in the the steely tundra have hardened my resolve. I fear for brave little Cha-Cha's sanity. Although my spirits were raised, if only momentarily, by some interesting Barroth behaviour; he burst through a barrier in the first zone, revealing a new area! It was to become his final resting place, ha ha!

Rathalos down, will probably farm for armor and weapons (Brother Flames). Will then proceed to use these blades to break Barioth's spirit and body.

...I wonder which which will go first?

I need to look up where to stand for the Gobul frog fishing

any tips?

As in where to fish him out from? in area 4 of the flooded forest there's a fishing point by a bunch of water lilies, reeds and such at the waters edge more towards the exits to area 6 and 7.
Equip the frog as your current item and use it on the fishing spot and Gobul will get drawn in.

And if anyone ever forgets to bring frogs with them for this you can get some just by the exit of Area 2 leading to Area 4.

thanks guys I went in the urgent quest thinking I would just practice and fail it just to know his moves but ended up killing him with my dual blades in 25 minutes did not even prepare for it lantern cut too

blackflag

Day 3, Hunter's Log:
Still the elusive Wyvern Stone evades my grasp. After seemingly endless Qurupeco and Barroth, I have moved on to the J. Barroth/ Gigginox quest. Days in the the steely tundra have hardened my resolve. I fear for brave little Cha-Cha's sanity. Although my spirits were raised, if only momentarily, by some interesting Barroth behaviour; he burst through a barrier in the first zone, revealing a new area! It was to become his final resting place, ha ha!

10/10 keep it up. Would read again!

also

Banned
Do any of you guys have some good money making methods? preferrably single player.
Im HR7, and need about 150,000z

I just send the fishing fleet treasure hunting. Silver eggs sell for 10000z and gold ones for 200000. You also get gems and crowns which you can combine to get even more money.

Kyzon

Do any of you guys have some good money making methods? preferrably single player.
Im HR7, and need about 150,000z

Farm Null Berries, then sell them. Also send your fishing fleet out for treasure hunts, sell all of the steel/silver/gold eggs. Further more, knock over uragaan, and then mine his back. Sell the nuggets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom