• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Get Joe to limp on your first quest with him appearing?

dmtkI.gif

Thinking about it I'm not sure he was actually limping... but when he went to another area (which I was able to do, even with him in rage mode!) it definitely seemed funky to me...

Why is this guy so feared/hated? IMO he's just as dumb as Barroth (then again I never had trouble with Barroth either... Barioth on the other hand...)

Haunted

Is there a list of the generally accepted armor you "should" be using by HR? I just hit HR3 and am having trouble letting go of my Barroth set. I made the Rathalos set too but the -15 Dragon is a tough pill to swallow since it seems like every fucking monster in the game is a dragon. I just spent all the Adv. Armor Sphere's I got from hitting HR3 on my Barroth set. Did I fuck up?
Don't worry about acceptable armour, anything that allows you to complete quests without fainting (too much) is fine. You could go out there naked if you're skilled enough to dodge everything.

Funnily enough not many monsters actually deal Dragon-type damage (even if you think they're dragons). Only a handful do and none appear before or at HR3.

Starting a room up. I just got to HR6, but I'm up for doing whatever. Wouldn't mind fighting a few Nargacuga to upgrade my hammer.
US/Free Play 03/Lobby 9/GAF Hunt/Usual password. Quote to see.

Haunted

Thinking about it I'm not sure he was actually limping... but when he went to another area (which I was able to do, even with him in rage mode!) it definitely seemed funky to me...

Why is this guy so feared/hated? IMO he's just as dumb as Barroth (then again I never had trouble with Barroth either... Barioth on the other hand...)
He hits like a brick, is surprisingly agile for his size, has insatiable hunger (which can be used against him, of course), and he's also one of the first monsters you encounter with dragon element attacks, at a point where most armours are still pretty weak against dragon. Movement-wise, there's also no other monster quite like him, with his combination of bites, leaps, stomps, sweeping breath attacks and fierce rage mode.

I'd say comparing his stats and attacks objectively, he is quite a formidable foe at that point in the game. There's a reason the quest to hunt him only appears at the very end of High Rank. :D

I'm still playing in the Moga Village, up to 8*, no idea what HR that is.
That's equivalent to HR5, the end of High Rank.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, when do I get cha cha?

Also, if the great jaggi is the only "big monster" I've fought so far, how far am I into the game? Is the king frill or whatever it is a rare drop?

DaBoss

He hits like a brick, is surprisingly agile for his size, has insatiable hunger (which can be used against him, of course), and he's also one of the first monsters you encounter with dragon element attacks, at a point where most armours are still pretty weak against dragon.

I'd say comparing his stats and attacks objectively, he is quite a formidable foe at that point in the game. There's a reason the quest to hunt him only appears at the very end of High Rank. :D

You forgot to mention the range of its attacks. Those attacks have a huge range.

There are armors with some resistance to Dragon attacks (Nargacuga being the one I can remember).

Also, if the great jaggi is the only "big monster" I've fought so far, how far am I into the game? Is the king frill or whatever it is a rare drop?

You will get an Urgent Quest which will require you to slay some Jaggia to get Cha-Cha.

You are only at the very beginning of the game in terms of large monsters. The King's Frill is a breakable part on the Great Jaggi. You know that mane-like thing around the Great Jaggi's head? If you concentrate your attacks on its head, you will end up breaking it. You will know you broke it by some bits if skin falling off and it has holes in it afterwards.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It might have helped that I upgraded a rusted GS I found so that it had like 120 Dragon atk.

Antiwhippy

You forgot to mention the range of its attacks. Those attacks have a huge range.

There are armors with some resistance to Dragon attacks (Nargacuga being the one I can remember).

You will get an Urgent Quest which will require you to slay some Jaggia to get Cha-Cha.

You are only at the very beginning of the game in terms of large monsters. The King's Frill is a breakable part on the Great Jaggi. You know that mane-like thing around the Great Jaggi's head? If you concentrate your attacks on its head, you will end up breaking it. You will know you broke it by some bits if skin falling off and it has holes in it afterwards.

Alright cool.

I love how crazy complex and in depth the looting and crofting system is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
yea I'm starting to wish P3rd HD got localized instead. No water battles honestly sounds amazing.

I'd love to know what MH veterans think of MH3U as compared to P3rd. P3rd seems pretty different from Tri; Ultimate seems like they then started with Tri and put P3rd stuff on top. Pretty weird.

DaBoss

Alright cool.

I love how crazy complex and in depth the looting and crofting system is.

Oh yea, forgot to mention. It will show up as a reward. It can't be carved.

I'd love to know what MH veterans think of MH3U as compared to P3rd. P3rd seems pretty different from Tri; Ultimate seems like they then started with Tri and put P3rd stuff on top. Pretty weird.

That is what it seems like, but I haven't played P3rd, only watched it.

Just made a new room for the early HR quests. Just recently bought the Wii U version to play online so i made a new room for low quests! My name user name is gawaine.

edit : forgot to mention i put the room in the one mentioned in the first post

Haunted

What in the world is causing the powderstone to break? Nothing is hitting me, good god, this is harder than all of G rank.
You can't jump down a large ledge (like from Volcano zone 10 to 5), stagger from an attack, roll or let your stamina run out while carrying a large egg/powderstone.

Your best bet for these kind of quests is to forge a Loc Lac armour set to have the Pro Transporter skill and drink a Dash Juice so your stamina doesn't run out.

You have literally only killed the first of over 50 monsters in the game so far.

In Dark Souls terms, you have just woken up in the cell, and defeated the two undead standing around in the first hallway. :p

Excellent, thanks a lot. Should I get the village request needed for it as soon as I enter 7*? All I have left to do is the 6* urgent.

Need this quest for online, it's just so much fun.

There's a G Rank online version coming out next week if you're interested in that instead. The one you unlock for online is only a low rank version, but is a Canteen quest which improves your Felyne kitchen food.

blackflag

Not sure, He's incredibly easy, just get under him and pound them feets. The intimidation factor is pretty crazy though the first few times you see him.

Haunted

Is Tenebra D a good weapon? I have a feeling it's not. But it's cool!
Exactly my thoughts.

Pumped I could upgrade it ahead of schedule only to discover that its stats aren't all that great compared to other LS and GL I had available. Looks cool, though! :D

On that note, am I the only one registering equipment sets with weapons that fit the armour set aesthetically, even if they're not the weapons I actually intend to use? >_>

ramyeon

There's a G Rank online version coming out next week if you're interested in that instead. The one you unlock for online is only a low rank version, but is a Canteen quest which improves your Felyne kitchen food.
Sounds even better. I've just been playing the canteen one with others online since its so much fun. Tad on the easy side though indeed.

Is it possible to S all arena quests solo with all weapons? First attempt at Purple Ludroth clocked me a little over 10 mins and had to sharpen 3 times. I'm having trouble imagining I can shave 4 mins off that.

Haunted

So are there any quests or content that is specifically gated to online only?
Generally speaking, the final third of the game is online only. First there's Low Rank, then High Rank and finally G-Rank (which is only available in Port Tanzia, the multi-mode). That said, there's very few monsters you'll miss if you're "only" doing the offline village quests. Most of the G-Rank are remixes of existing quests, with monsters appearing in different combinations or unfamiliar environments and stuff like that. That said, you can potentially solo all Port Tanzia quests, but since all the monsters there are balanced for four players, it'll be pretty damn tough. :D

Antiwhippy

You can do anything in the solo guild I believe. Can't do everything from the village.

Aww, that's a shame, seeing that I can't go online. Ah well, at least it seems like there won't be a lack of content anyway.
Broadly speaking, the final third of the game is online only. First there's Low Rank (available off and online), High Rank (available off and online) and G-Rank (only available online).

That said, there's very few monsters you'll miss in the offline village quests. Most of the G-Rank are "remixes" of existing quests, with monsters appearing in different combinations, unfamiliar environments and stuff like that.

Alright, so I won't be missing the majority of then content then?

Kind of annoying, but I'll be fine if it's only a few monsters and remixes.

DaBoss

Broadly speaking, the final third of the game is online only. First there's Low Rank (available off and online), High Rank (available off and online) and G-Rank (only available online).

That said, there's very few monsters you'll miss in the offline village quests. Most of the G-Rank are "remixes" of existing quests, with monsters appearing in different combinations, unfamiliar environments and stuff like that.

Except it isn't locked to online. :p

Tanzia has a Solo mode also. That isn't required to go Online. That is also balanced for one player HP wise, damage is the same.

Aww, that's a shame, seeing that I can't go online. Ah well, at least it seems like there won't be a lack of content anyway.

It isn't locked to online. Talk to Neko (Means "Cat") which is the cat that is on top of a barrel. Say you want to go to Port Tanzia. You can choose Solo.

Antiwhippy

Alright, awesome then. Though I assume that it would be balls hard and near impossible to solo? :p

Edit: saw your edit.

I can see this game lasting me a long ass time on the 3ds.

Looking forward to 4 so I can finally experience multiplayer.

Haunted

I edited! You guys really need to learn to give my posts some time to breathe... :p

or I should be better at formulating what I really want to say in the first version. >_>

Except it isn't locked to online. :p

Tanzia has a Solo mode also. That isn't required to go Online. That is also balanced for one player HP wise, damage is the same.

It isn't locked to online. Talk to Neko (Means "Cat") which is the cat that is on top of a barrel. Say you want to go to Port Tanzia. You can choose Solo.
Now that, I actually did not know.

Very cool and makes soloing even G-rank quests a distinct possibility.

But man, Antiwhippy, if you're just starting out and beating Great Jaggis, don't even worry about that for now. :D Plenty of hours to go before you get to that point.

DaBoss

Alright, awesome then. Though I assume that it would be balls hard and near impossible to solo? :p

Edit: saw your edit.

I can see this game lasting me a long ass time on the 3ds.

Looking forward to 4 so I can finally experience multiplayer.

Nah, the health of the monsters are definitely manageable. The damage would make you use potions a lot more often than in the Village. I just got through High-Rank in Tanzia, and it was harder than the Village, but just required me to be more careful.

You're playing on the 3DS?

I edited! You guys really need to learn to give my posts some time to breathe... :p

or I should be better at formulating what I really want to say in the first version. >_>

Haha, I just wanted to point out that it is accessible solo ASAP. :p

Now that, I actually did not know.

Very cool and makes soloing even G-rank quests a distinct possibility.

But man, Antiwhippy, if you're just starting out and beating Great Jaggis, don't even worry about that for now. :D Plenty of hours to go before you get to that point.

Also, by saying damage is the same, I meant that it is the same as multiplayer damage.

Haunted

And on that note, can we talk about the goddamn hilarious writing of Neko (means "Cat") and the Argosy Captain?

8-4 really killing it.

Antiwhippy

I can't even imagine the scope of the latter hunts.

Bought it yesterday and I can't stop playing.
Nah, the health of the monsters are definitely manageable. The damage would make you use potions a lot more often than in the Village. I just got through High-Rank in Tanzia, and it was harder than the Village, but just required me to be more careful.

You're playing on the 3DS?

Yeah, 3ds.

burgerdog

Are you depleting all of your stamina when running with it?

You can't jump down a large ledge (like from Volcano zone 10 to 5), stagger from an attack, roll or let your stamina run out while carrying a large egg/powderstone.

Your best bet for these kind of quests is to forge a Loc Lac armour set to have the Pro Transporter skill and drink a Dash Juice so your stamina doesn't run out.

You have literally only killed the first of over 50 monsters in the game so far.

In Dark Souls terms, you have just woken up in the cell, and defeated the two undead standing around in the first hallway. :p

Ah, it was the stamina running out, thanks guys. I was seriously baffled why it kept breaking.

DaBoss

And on that note, can we talk about the goddamn hilarious writing of Neko (means "Cat") and the Argosy Captain?

8-4 really killing it.

Too bad it is very hard to read on both versions apparently (only 3DS here). Everything I've read has been brilliant. I wish they had a log of all the things NPCs only say once, since those are really funny.

I took down a C. Peco earlier in a 6* mission.
It wasn't a particular threat... until it was able to call in a damn Deviljho!

I also downloaded an Arena challenge involving the Bracchidios. It didn't seem tough, at first, but then I discovered the slime it uses was explosive and I lost outright.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My wife and I been farming Duramboros for hours now. She needs a Tailbone still after 25 fights, even managing to find a Sacrum first. I, of course, with no need for Tailbones, have five of them. Bwohoho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom