• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

remz

So uh, I'm confused. Girlfriend and I fought the Diablos, won, got the HR2 urgent quest. She initiated it, I joined. Then we beat it (handily, it was fun). We get back to port and it tells me I still need to do the quest and she's HR3. What the fuck?

Only people who rank up are people who initiate the quest. Somehow.

Kyou

i heard you wanna fight 8 brachydios in one sitting.

Buh I'll just get a high level friend to plow me through it.

Nothing takes the wind out of an amazing victory like seeing that quest still active

"Yeah fucked the shit out of those Raths! Hey why does nobody have a yellow speech bubble"

burgerdog

Friend got HR100 so we duo'd the quest:

photo2dms8z.jpg

It's Rusted Duramboros+Brachydios followed by Ivory Lagiacrus+Stygian Zinogre.

So, last night I joined a room looking to get the HR6 (dual Brachys) done. Naturally I was the last one to join so mine was the last urgent we attempted. The first Brachy goes down, we all run into the next area and start wailing on the second one for all of three seconds and suddenly everyone but me stops moving. Then I'm on my own. Sodding Internet crapped out.

Well, there must be some kind of health scaling for when that happens, because I absolutely ruined him on my own. He died slightly slower than the first one, but considering it was just me fighting him it was pretty amazing how badly he went down. And to top it off, my three carves from him resulted in a gem, with another gem and a pallium in the rewards.

Does anyone know when the UK will have stock again?

Shopto seem to have the 3DS version back in stock - at a decent price imo.

I've not logged 4 hours into the Wii-U version, and really enjoying things so far. Building up decent playtime is tough with a 7 month old and stuff to do round the house in the evening.

I've added myself to the spreadsheet for Europe (admittedly this'll only matter for time difference next week I suppose).

If anyone is super-early in the game and will struggle in a similar manner to me for play-time then I'd be keen to hear from you in particular.

Now that Dual Blades are in there's not much reason to use SnS IMO, unless you really like using items without sheathing weapon + block.
It's not just about "liking" to use those items, though. Being able to throw things like Flash and Sonic Bombs without having to sheathe adds a lot of versatility to your game. It's almost impossible to Sonic Bomb Quropeco in time by roll canceling an attack, sheathing, and then throwing a Sonic Bomb. He'll almost always finish his Deviljho call first (unless you have Sheathing, but that's not a good DS skill). I consider SnS to be more about support pressure, and DS to be more about DPS pressure. SnS users should come prepared with that stuff, IMO. It's just part of the weapon.

Also, I haven't done the math, but it looks to me like SnS has better paralysis weapons than the DS, which generally fits with its support roll. The SnS has Coctura Balgang, which has 180 paralysis and purple sharpness. The DS has Chum-Chum Scarecrows, but those have really crappy raw damage on them. Your only other option is to Awaken Midnight Blackwings, and that's only 110 paralysis.

I also find that the SnS is able to keep pressure up more easily on monsters that move around a lot. Unless you plan on popping Mega Dashjuice on your DS every fight, which gets expensive fast.

So, IMO SnS has a defined role in the game still. It's a very nice team support weapon. The DS is much more selfish.

Gave up with online for today. Random groups can be so hit or miss. Made a room for HR6 and got two people, we went on a quest. One person died and then asked to restart the mission so they just abandoned. Then proceeded to go on a quest without me while I was changing my equipment. I just closed the room on them and gave up.

Would be cool to team up with some of the people in this thread but every time I've tried no one seems to be online.

Is it just me, or does it seem like all randoms want to do is stand around? I spent 40 minutes yesterday trying to find a group that was actually interested in doing a quest.

Porcile

Just how much hp does Duramboros have, holy fuck I almost timed out (2 or so minutes left).

Solo MH is best MH.

D:

Qurupeco gave me some serious Time-out anxiety. Especially when my paintball effect ran out and I spent most of the time just looking for the bleeding thing on the map.

Ken

It's not just about "liking" to use those items, though. Being able to throw things like Flash and Sonic Bombs without having to sheathe adds a lot of versatility to your game. It's almost impossible to Sonic Bomb Quropeco in time by roll canceling an attack, sheathing, and then throwing a Sonic Bomb. He'll almost always finish his Deviljho call first (unless you have Sheathing, but that's not a good DS skill). I consider SnS to be more about support pressure, and DS to be more about DPS pressure. SnS users should come prepared with that stuff, IMO. It's just part of the weapon.

Also, I haven't done the math, but it looks to me like SnS has better paralysis weapons than the DS, which generally fits with its support roll. The SnS has Coctura Balgang, which has 180 paralysis and purple sharpness. The DS has Chum-Chum Scarecrows, but those have really crappy raw damage on them. Your only other option is to Awaken Midnight Blackwings, and that's only 110 paralysis.

I also find that the SnS is able to keep pressure up more easily on monsters that move around a lot. Unless you plan on popping Mega Dashjuice on your DS every fight, which gets expensive fast.

So, IMO SnS has a defined role in the game still. It's a very nice team support weapon. The DS is much more selfish.

There's a 300 Para hammer and a 300 para awaken GS. I wouldn't really want those as my go-to paralysis weapons. Wouldn't be fair for the DS to have a para value close to SnS because of fhe difference in attack speeds, obviously.

The Queupeco thing is true, but at the same time maybe the DS can output the DPS to cancel the call anyways, or proc a para saving a sonic bomb. Or you can always just dung bomb the Deviljho. Personally, I don't like using sonic bombs on anything but Diablos because I hate farming screamers and dung bombs are much easier to get.

I guess it's all up to personal preference in the end so yeah! If I'm looking for fast application of statuses in general, I'll personally go for DS.

I should make some Chum-Chum scarecrows.

Fewr

Bought the game last night, played for about 4 hours today. First Monster Hunter experience, and I'm enjoying it so far. Been killing Great Jaggi to get some items.
Everything in this game is confusing during the first 30 or so hrs, so do not hesitate to post questions here.

Captain N

This is the first time i was able to really get into a Monster Hunter game. Now im hooked. So I was enjoying this on the Wii U, but got it on 3DS last night and was able to play it a lot more. Killed my first Great Jaggi! I'm now in the desert area. Anything I can do to prevent getting hurt from the heat? I will be playing a lot more on Wii U once the off TV play patch hits.

There's a 300 Para hammer and a 300 para awaken GS. I wouldn't really want those as my go-to paralysis weapons. Wouldn't be fair for the DS to have a para value close to SnS because of fhe difference in attack speeds, obviously.
I factored that in to my considerations.

The SnS also has a capability to KO a monster which is realizable once a fight. It's not a big difference, but it's there. You can usually get most of the KO damage in during the paralysis period. The DS is just going to be doing mediocre damage since it's a para weapon during the actual stun period.

The Queupeco thing is true, but at the same time maybe the DS can output the DPS to cancel the call anyways, or proc a para saving a sonic bomb. Or you can always just dung bomb the Deviljho. Personally, I don't like using sonic bombs on anything but Diablos because I hate farming screamers and dung bombs are much easier to get.
Eh, you can get Sonic Bombs from the Argosy Captain, and after a certain point you don't have anything else to do with your common commodities. I just traded for 30 Mega Pickaxes, 30 Mega Bugnets, and 20 of all the crop-growing commodities, and I still have a ton of stuff left to trade.

It's not just Sonic Bombs on Quropeco, though. Flash Bombs on Rathalos make the fight notably shorter, since he can chill in the air doing nothing for minutes at a time. It's not as valuable if you have a gunner to take him down, though. Rathalos moves around enough that the same situational value applies.

I guess it's all up to personal preference in the end so yeah! If I'm looking for fast application of statuses in general, I'll personally go for DS.
I think that with how fast the DS hits, you're still probably better off going for the elemental damage. That's my style, at least.

I should make some Chum-Chum scarecrows.
Let me know how it goes.

Peru

This is the first time i was able to really get into a Monster Hunter game. Now im hooked. So I was enjoying this on the Wii U, but got it on 3DS last night and was able to play it a lot more. Killed my first Great Jaggi! I'm now in the desert area. Anything I can do to prevent getting hurt from the heat?

Buy cool drinks or just pick them up from the box at the start and drink one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright.

Which part of the stat screen do I check?

Also how do I see what ammo I have in my 3 quick select slots?

Edit: nvm, saw it.

also

Banned
And on that note, can we talk about the goddamn hilarious writing of Neko (means "Cat") and the Argosy Captain?

8-4 really killing it.

While the writing can be funny, I wish they had paid more attention to the basic menus, you know, the stuff that really matters. Having to select ''remove items'' to take items from storage feels wrong each and every time I do it.

ace3skoot

solo'd golden ceadeus first time :) Imma now among the G-rank club,

also Bah who needs dragon element when you have a rathalos's head on a stick bwhahahaha!

Kouriozan

While the writing can be funny, I wish they had paid more attention to the basic menus, you know, the stuff that really matters. Having to select ''remove items'' to take items from storage feels wrong each and every time I do it.

And I thought it was only in the french translation. Yep that's very weird.
In french it's actually "Supprimer" which mean "Delete".

gogogow

This is the first time i was able to really get into a Monster Hunter game. Now im hooked. So I was enjoying this on the Wii U, but got it on 3DS last night and was able to play it a lot more. Killed my first Great Jaggi! I'm now in the desert area. Anything I can do to prevent getting hurt from the heat? I will be playing a lot more on Wii U once the off TV play patch hits.

Use a Cold Drink. It's the white-grayish fluid in a bottle, it's in the blue box when you do low level quests.

Ken

Eh, you can get Sonic Bombs from the Argosy Captain, and after a certain point you don't have anything else to do with your common commodities. I just traded for 30 Mega Pickaxes, 30 Mega Bugnets, and 20 of all the crop-growing commodities, and I still have a ton of stuff left to trade.

I don't do enough free hunting to keep getting common commodities to fund sonic bombs forever so I just figured I'll learn to live without them.

Mupod

So my Stygian Tristitia hunting horn guitar has attack up large which is all I really care about, but it has two other songs I find interesting - Melody duration increased and knockback prevention. The former obviously extends the lengths of your songs, but I have no idea for how long or if you can use it over and over to extend songs indefinitely. I'll need to test it but that'd be time I could spend hunting monsters or mining charms instead, so...yeah.

Knockback prevention sounded useless or even dangerous at first, as an example HH recitals have super armor and I've had Great Baggi wreck half my hp in one combo because I didn't get knocked back. HOWEVER, if the song prevents, say, longsword spirit combo from interrupting ally attacks, this could possibly be the best song in the game for playing online with randoms. Need to test!

So my Stygian Tristitia hunting horn guitar has attack up large which is all I really care about, but it has two other songs I find interesting - Melody duration increased and knockback prevention. The former obviously extends the lengths of your songs, but I have no idea for how long or if you can use it over and over to extend songs indefinitely. I'll need to test it but that'd be time I could spend hunting monsters or mining charms instead, so...yeah.

Knockback prevention sounded useless or even dangerous at first, as an example HH recitals have super armor and I've had Great Baggi wreck half my hp in one combo because I didn't get knocked back. HOWEVER, if the song prevents, say, longsword spirit combo from interrupting ally attacks, this could possibly be the best song in the game for playing online with randoms. Need to test!
Let me know how that test goes.

Also, do all the HHs have different musical effects? I don't want to spend the materials to make a bunch and fund out.

Mupod

It's not that hard to keep up with hunting horn songs. Every horn has three notes to play - X always plays white notes, or purple notes for g-rank which does the same thing. Every horn has a self-buff song white/white or purple/purple which does self movement speed and deflection prvention.

A plays the second note and X+A attacks play the third. Songs are either 3 notes or 4 notes long, 4 note songs typically have stronger effects and have longer more damaging recital combos (but are less safe to play). It's daunting at first but after a while you recognize similar songs. For example Earplug songs always have the same pattern even on different horns. And horns on the same upgrade path usually have similar notes, for example Nargacuga and Zinogre HHs are similar.

Some horns are dead simple and only have a few songs, like the Stygian Tristitia I mentioned. Some have two pages of situational crap that can be hard to remember, just don't be stupid like me and check them in the equip menu while a g-rank enraged diablos is charging at you.

Fewr

What are your top 3 most used weapons?

For me it's:

1. Long Sword
Started using it because underwater fights are much easier with it, and then just kept going.

2. Hunting Horn
It's just fun.

3. Don't have one yet, but if I do sometime I'll go bow & arrows (need CPP for this) or great sword.

Ken

I like the Coffin HH for Health Recovery (S and M) plus Antidote, Defense Up L (I hit 800 armor with the bonus and food), and Negate Stamina L.

It also has Health Recovery XS on 3 notes but that seems largely useless.

Chuckpebble

I guess I skipped a speech bubble somewhere, but how do I freehunt at night? I have the night time forecast, but it always seems to be daytime in the village. Do I select day or night when I depart? I'm afraid to experiment because I don't wanna lose the two monsters on my forecast atm.

Ken

I guess I skipped a speech bubble somewhere, but how do I freehunt at night? I have the night time forecast, but it always seems to be daytime in the village. Do I select day or night when I depart? I'm afraid to experiment because I don't wanna lose the two monsters on my forecast atm.

yes

Also as long as you return to the village within 2 minutes a day won't pass.

Dragoshi1

I've finally hit my "wall", so to speak, in HR village quests.

The Baleful Gigginox is, so far, the ONLY monster in the past 6 years to make me quit the hunt mid-way.

I've never been this terrified, either.

I don't have any armors that can protect me from its paralyzing attacks, and I lack any sharpness above green to not bounce off of it.

The only HR armor good enough against it is made from all of the hard to find bugs, like Carpenterbug and Rare Scarab, so that's out.

I like going in with an armor that perfectly counters the monster, like Wroggi for Gigginox and Rathian, and Volvidon for Uragaan.

It's not that hard to keep up with hunting horn songs. Every horn has three notes to play - X always plays white notes, or purple notes for g-rank which does the same thing. Every horn has a self-buff song white/white or purple/purple which does self movement speed and deflection prvention.

A plays the second note and X+A attacks play the third. Songs are either 3 notes or 4 notes long, 4 note songs typically have stronger effects and have longer more damaging recital combos (but are less safe to play). It's daunting at first but after a while you recognize similar songs. For example Earplug songs always have the same pattern even on different horns. And horns on the same upgrade path usually have similar notes, for example Nargacuga and Zinogre HHs are similar.

Some horns are dead simple and only have a few songs, like the Stygian Tristitia I mentioned. Some have two pages of situational crap that can be hard to remember, just don't be stupid like me and check them in the equip menu while a g-rank enraged diablos is charging at you.
By "musical effects", I meant the sound effects. Like, the bagpipe sounds like a bagpipe, so do all the HH weapons have different musical sounds that play?

I don't do enough free hunting to keep getting common commodities to fund sonic bombs forever so I just figured I'll learn to live without them.
Yeah, it's a situational weapon. Personally, I really like using the SnS on Alatreon because you can really stay in his face with its mobility options, and Flash Bombs are definitely helpful against him.

Ken

Yeah, it's a situational weapon. Personally, I really like using the SnS on Alatreon because you can really stay in his face with its mobility options, and Flash Bombs are definitely helpful against him.

It's harder to hit a flying Alatreon with Flash Bombs this time.

casiopao

To all pro Hunter Gaffers here, i have been playing MonHun 3 Ult here and maining LS as my main weap.

Now, i am thinking of changing into GS but, i even had difficulties facing Great Wroggi here.T_T(I am on Village HR 7 star already and the Great Wroggi there is lower rank.T_T)

Any tips on using GS or i should just give up using that weapon there as return to LS and Light BG?

Mupod

What are your top 3 most used weapons?

1. HH, never liked it in 2nd gen but I found myself playing the MH3U demo over and over to mess with the revamped 3rd gen version some more. Decided to start by maining them through MH3U's village quests and I totally love them now. I just don't love how hard they are to make, why the FUCK do they always need tails GODDAMN. Even online I have to yell at people to cut off things like Stygian Zinogre's tail.

2. Hammer is my old main weapon and I still use it quite a bit. I think it's about half of my HH uses, maybe less. But that's mainly because HHs are hard to make and I get stuck using a hammer again. I find they are insanely common online now and having multiple hammers isn't much of a help most of the time, so I rarely use it in groups. In Tri I was the only hammer user I ever saw, everyone else seemed to use Lance and SA. But it's still the weapon I'm most skilled with so I'll never stop using hammers.

3. DS I guess. I only have a few of them and have only used them to goof around. I love the new sidestep dodge and it helps the DS playstyle a lot...or it would if I was any good with DS. I'm still stuck in the 2nd gen mindset of spamming its X+A demon combo which is a great way to get killed since it's such a long animation.

I also use HBG when helping people through high rank and I don't want to overpower the monsters. Wyvern fire is fun but I dunno how I feel about losing crouching fire for it. I tried making the Jhen cannon as an 'all purpose' HBG like the Lao cannon used to be, but its fire/thunder capabilities are lacking. If there's one that can crouching fire all the elemental ammo I'd be down for that - I used to be a huge abuser of Autoreload in MHFU.

Fistwell

I've finally hit my "wall", so to speak, in HR village quests.

The Baleful Gigginox is, so far, the ONLY monster in the past 6 years to make me quit the hunt mid-way.

I've never been this terrified, either.

I don't have any armors that can protect me from its paralyzing attacks, and I lack any sharpness above green to not bounce off of it.

The only HR armor good enough against it is made from all of the hard to find bugs, like Carpenterbug and Rare Scarab, so that's out.

I like going in with an armor that perfectly counters the monster, like Wroggi for Gigginox and Rathian, and Volvidon for Uragaan.
I don't recall him being that bad, seemed much easier than regular giggi. Does green also bounce off of his wings/arms/sides? I remember them being noticeably softer than his head and ass, even when enraged. As far as getting paralyzed, it's the same deal as getting poisoned by ian more or less, don't stand in front of it.

I don't know, I was just thankfull that his body slam didn't spam electricity the way reg Giggi's spams poison.

If you managed to break his face, I believe he doesn't paralyze you anymore (or at least some of his attacks don't paralyze you any longer). You could pitfall trap him and go to town. Although if all your hits bounce that might be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom