• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

Exactly my thoughts.

Pumped I could upgrade it ahead of schedule only to discover that its stats aren't all that great compared to other LS and GL I had available. Looks cool, though! :D

On that note, am I the only one registering equipment sets with weapons that fit the armour set aesthetically, even if they're not the weapons I actually intend to use? >_>

Nah, aesthetic is a big part of how I play. If I'm going to be curbstomped multiple times by dragons and fishes and fish dragons, I'd do it while looking cool! I'm playing with my friends anyway so we mostly have fun and laughing all the time as opposed to very serious play.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And on that note, can we talk about the goddamn hilarious writing of Neko (means "Cat") and the Argosy Captain?

8-4 really killing it.

I actually found Neko to take it a little too far. Also seems like they amped it up more for the Argosy Captain here than in Tri, where it was humorous but didn't get in the way of info.

Guild Waifu's writing is perfect though.
AMzq9lr.gif

Fewr

What in the world is causing the powderstone to break? Nothing is hitting me, good god, this is harder than all of G rank.
Royal Ludroth armor + a set of transporter gems.

----------------------------------------

Question for experts: I'm fighting Uragaan, when it's ready to be captured it goes to this part of the volcano map where I don't think I can reach it to set the trap while it's asleep. Can I go up there or do I have to trap him when it comes down?

DaBoss

Sucks getting disconnected in big battles.

3DS version has no disconnects. 3DS version superior confirmed.
;_;

Question for experts: I'm fighting Uragaan, when it's ready to be captured it goes to this part of the volcano map where I don't think I can reach it to set the trap while it's asleep. Can I go up there or do I have to trap him when it comes down?

Trap it when it comes down. It will wake up when you go to that area.

L Thammy

Carving Mega Potions from monsters outside of the Arena. Is this new? Give me my Rathian Plates! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I took down a C. Peco earlier in a 6* mission.
It wasn't a particular threat... until it was able to call in a damn Deviljho!

Tried to get some Voltstones for a Lagiacrus Blade+. Every time I entered the room, the first thing Peco did was call a Jho.

Fewr

Trap it when it comes down. It will wake up when you go to that area.
Thanks. The same happened with Barioth, but I noticed that I could go climb a snowy wall and trap it. I wanted to make sure I can't reach Uragaan.

------------------------
Is this game still considered a AA / AAA game if I got it only for single player (I am not much of an online gamer and considering I play at night in bed I can't really voice chat).
I generally don't like online gaming either. With this game I can stand 2-3 rounds on weekends which is a lot for me. Voice chat is not compulsory, you can type things as well.

Doorman

Well...my plans for the night wound up completely shot. Not only have I not managed to get on until just now to play at all, but looking through the listings for the Uragaan armor that I was targetting, I need some high rank Volvidon parts as well and I don't have any high rank quests involving him yet. Nuts to that. None of these other armors I can access feel at all useful for hunting horns!

Oh well, guess I'll just try to advance some other quests for the time being.

Fewr

That fight on twitch against the two big monsters was good. I liked it a lot. I was wondering why the player would top up his health to max all the time, then I saw that those things can do more than half damage with a single hit. Wow.

Doorman

"Hee hee...I see the lust in your eyes. Wanna see what I've got.......for Quests?"

I guess I'm finally starting to see why everyone keeps posting about the guild sweetheart.

ramyeon

Great Jaggi and Pink Rathian are not three monsters. And, more importantly, Rathian tails are made of plates and not mega potions screw you game
Just saying from my experience mate, you didn't say what quest you were on ;)

Never had that happen in quests with less than 3 targets.

L00P

I really liked the conversation you had with the village chief about the earthquakes

"I'm sorry, tectonic what? No kid, it's a huge monster. Trust me."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really liked the conversation you had with the village chief about the earthquakes

"I'm sorry, tectonic what? No kid, it's a huge monster. Trust me."

I burst out laughing when I read that in Tri. Fantastic writing in general.

ramyeon

Can't wait for the online to be region free. So hard to find rooms during the day time in Australia. Most of the time there's so few people online that the first lobby is full and there's like 5 people in one or two other lobbies.

JoeFu

Banned
Bought the game last night, played for about 4 hours today. First Monster Hunter experience, and I'm enjoying it so far. Been killing Great Jaggi to get some items.

Ridley327

Tomorrow begins the quest to craft a full Diablos X set. I've written down my current standings on the vital materials, so we'll see how far we get before heading into work at 3PM.

ramyeon

Gave up with online for today. Random groups can be so hit or miss. Made a room for HR6 and got two people, we went on a quest. One person died and then asked to restart the mission so they just abandoned. Then proceeded to go on a quest without me while I was changing my equipment. I just closed the room on them and gave up.

Would be cool to team up with some of the people in this thread but every time I've tried no one seems to be online.

Filth

decided to slow down playing until the patch comes out. dont wanna burn myself out and then not play on the pad when i can.

muu

It's a shame the font is so hard to read. Localization team did a terrific job of keeping the text zany and interesting.

Mileena

Banned
Gave up with online for today. Random groups can be so hit or miss. Made a room for HR6 and got two people, we went on a quest. One person died and then asked to restart the mission so they just abandoned. Then proceeded to go on a quest without me while I was changing my equipment. I just closed the room on them and gave up.

Would be cool to team up with some of the people in this thread but every time I've tried no one seems to be online.

It seems to be slow during the week but I'm always on after work. We can play tomorrow (assuming you're NA)

ramyeon

It seems to be slow during the week but I'm always on after work. We can play tomorrow (assuming you're NA)
EU/AU unfortunately! Guess that's part of the problem, most of the European players are asleep during the daytime here in Australia. Guess it'll be much easier once the region free patch goes through!

I really want to play this game for the 3DS but the lack of online multiplayer bothers me. Is it worth it for the single player alone? Or should I just wait and pray that MH4 has online multiplayer and gets released in the US?

That really depends on how into the game you are. Technically, you could solo all the HR quests, including the G-rank one. By doing so, it actually trains you to be a damn good hunter. However, even if you can solo all G-rank, you still gotta be mindful of your teammates' position in MP...when you play MP eventually.

Also, what weapons are great for status / element attacks?

Hattori

Banned
That really depends on how into the game you are. Technically, you could solo all the HR quests, including the G-rank one. By doing so, it actually trains you to be a damn good hunter. However, even if you can solo all G-rank, you still gotta be mindful of your teammates' position in MP...when you play MP eventually.

Also, what weapons are great for status / element attacks?

SnS

Kyou

So uh, I'm confused. Girlfriend and I fought the Diablos, won, got the HR2 urgent quest. She initiated it, I joined. Then we beat it (handily, it was fun). We get back to port and it tells me I still need to do the quest and she's HR3. What the fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom