• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and HH question: how big is the range on the buffs you give your team? Are all buffs team-wide except for the movement speed buff?

It's harder to hit a flying Alatreon with Flash Bombs this time.
I'm not sure if I should look forward to the revamped fight, haha.

Ken

To all pro Hunter Gaffers here, i have been playing MonHun 3 Ult here and maining LS as my main weap.

Now, i am thinking of changing into GS but, i even had difficulties facing Great Wroggi here.T_T(I am on Village HR 7 star already and the Great Wroggi there is lower rank.T_T)

Any tips on using GS or i should just give up using that weapon there as return to LS and Light BG?

GS is about sheath and unsheath attacks (so most GS sets have critical draw that gives the next unsheath attack a 100% chance to deal 25% more damage). When you see an opportunity where you won't get hit you run up to the Wroggi (while sheathed) and unsheath right in front him rooting you down. You then have to judge how much time you have to charge up your swing and then let go!

Oh, and HH question: how big is the range on the buffs you give your team? Are all buffs team-wide except for the movement speed buff?

I'm not sure if I should look forward to the revamped fight, haha.

Gives buffs to all allies on the same map as you at the time of performing. All buffs are team-wide.

Okay, so I'm finishing up the Low Rank village quests (only Urgaan and The Omen to go) and was wondering if I should upgrade my armor or weapons for Ceadeus. I'm currently in full Wroggi (gemmed for Maestro) and mainly use Hunting Horns and sometimes GS.

Dragoshi1

I don't recall him being that bad, seemed much easier than regular giggi. Does green also bounce off of his wings/arms/sides? I remember them being noticeably softer than his head and ass, even when enraged. As far as getting paralyzed, it's the same deal as getting poisoned by ian more or less, don't stand in front of it.

I don't know, I was just thankfull that his body slam didn't spam electricity the way reg Giggi's spams poison.

If you managed to break his face, I believe he doesn't paralyze you anymore (or at least some of his attacks don't paralyze you any longer). You could pitfall trap him and go to town. Although if all your hits bounce that might be a problem.

I go in with Volvidon SA, but I bounce off of wings and tail/head depending on rage mode or not.

I can try going with the LS that the captain gave me, or forget it all and go in with Bow, that way I can dodge the electric balls he fires across the ground.

I was gonna grind Volvi for the next SA upgrade, but will it ever become blue sharpness?

Mupod

By "musical effects", I meant the sound effects. Like, the bagpipe sounds like a bagpipe, so do all the HH weapons have different musical sounds that play?

Oh. Oh YES.

Rathian's HH is this really annoying bell flute. Arzuros is a gong, and it turns into Barioth's which is some kind of weird ass instrument I've never heard of. Lagi's is a pretty kinda shell noise. Giggi's is a horrific screeching coffin thing. Qurupeco's turns you into this man. Zinogre's is a motherfucking electric guitar and the Stygian version adds in random growling noises so you're even more metal.

So yeah every HH sounds different. It's why I keep making more of them.

Edit: as others have said HH buffs are area-wide, but bear in mind the self improvement buff (white/white or purple/purple) is only for you. So you can't make everyone run fast and have ESP all the time unfortunately. Infinite stamina works though, which is super OP.

Chuckpebble

That's one of the things I love about this game. The weapons actually have unique sounds, not just the hunting horns. I remember my Sieglinde growling when I sheathed it. So nice.

casiopao

GS is about sheath and unsheath attacks (so most GS sets have critical draw that gives the next unsheath attack a 100% chance to deal 25% more damage). When you see an opportunity where you won't get hit you run up to the Wroggi (while sheathed) and unsheath right in front him rooting you down. You then have to judge how much time you have to charge up your swing and then let go!

Umm, so you mean, it is normal for me to keep sheating and unsheating my GS weap?

And about the charging there, how much difference it cause for example if i can fully charged my third attack there?

Ken

Umm, so you mean, it is normal for me to keep sheating and unsheating my GS weap?

And about the charging there, how much difference it cause for example if i can fully charged my third attack there?

Even if you don't have crit draw, you still have a really slow movement speed with the weapon out so sheath/unsheath isn't just for damage.

From Tri:

Charge Level 1 | 65% (x1.1) | Down (Hold) | -- |
|------------------+---------------+------------------------------+--------|
| Charge Level 2 | 80% (x1.2) | Down (Hold) | -- |
| Charge Level 3 | 110% (x1.3) | Down (Hold) | -- |

ramyeon

Oh. Oh YES.

Rathian's HH is this really annoying bell flute. Arzuros is a gong, and it turns into Barioth's which is some kind of weird ass instrument I've never heard of. Lagi's is a pretty kinda shell noise. Giggi's is a horrific screeching coffin thing. Qurupeco's turns you into this man. Zinogre's is a motherfucking electric guitar and the Stygian version adds in random growling noises so you're even more metal.

Edit: as others have said HH buffs are area-wide, but bear in mind the self improvement buff (white/white or purple/purple) is only for you. So you can't make everyone run fast and have ESP all the time unfortunately. Infinite stamina works though, which is super OP.
Having a HH user on your team using Infinite Stamina is so damn helpful. It is definitely OP though.

Herby

Neo Member
Quick question, and I do feel like a bit of a dope but how do I find people in multiplayer?

Do I need to have a populated friends list?

ramyeon

Quick question, and I do feel like a bit of a dope but how do I find people in multiplayer?

Do I need to have a populated friends list?
Make sure you're going to Network Mode not Multi. It'll take you to a menu with all the populated worlds, lobbies and rooms.

Edit: Beaten!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just how much hp does Duramboros have, holy fuck I almost timed out (2 or so minutes left).

Solo MH is best MH.

D:

Poison is your path to victory. He is so incredibly weak to it and he builds up almost no tolerance for it. The poison will also exhaust him quickly as well.

Dual Blades have been my favorite weapon this far. They seem to be the weakest weapons though.

Same, but I've only played with them and a bit of longsword. And they are, IIRC (not counting ranged weapons), plus they dull really quickly and drain stamina like no other. But the worst thing is right when you knock a monster over, your weapons dull and you need to sharpen...

Chuckpebble

What are your top 3 most used weapons?

1. Gunlance - never used it before. Hated lance and thought this version looked complicated and sounded stupid. Hooked since the demo came out. The one thing I liked about the lance was that you could counter roars. Well, this weapon does it one better, I block a roar initially and then wyvern fire the monster in the face by the time they finish their roar. Feels good.

2. Light Bowgun - This is a carry over from Tri, my most used weapon there. I've used it mainly for Rathalos and Duramboros.

3. SnS - I haven't really picked a third, but I have one of these that's part of my gathering / delivery set.

Oh. Oh YES.

Wow, awesome!

So just to be clear, Negate Stamina Use + Dual Swords partner lets them have endless Demon Mode? My wife uses Dual Swords, so if this is true I might swap to HH as my main weapon for the synergy (I'm normally a hammer main).

What are your top 3 most used weapons?

1.) Unquestionably dual blades. Which I use maybe five times as much as

2.) Long sword.

3.) No third.

Just how much hp does Duramboros have, holy fuck I almost timed out (2 or so minutes left).

I felt the same way, lol. Advice given to me was to hit his legs as he starts to spin, and hit the humps when you knock him over. Fuck Duramboros.

DaBoss

Wow, awesome!

So just to be clear, Negate Stamina Use + Dual Swords partner lets them have endless Demon Mode? My wife uses Dual Swords, so if this is true I might swap to HH as my main weapon for the synergy (I'm normally a hammer main).

Yes. You'll be the best husband ever! :p

Mupod

Wow, awesome!

Yes, Mileena and I were doing that for a while. The cool thing about it is I'm fairly certain they nerfed dash juice for DS users - demon mode reduces its duration. But as far as I can tell, the HH song lasts its usual duration. The only issue is that there aren't a lot of HHs with that song and their other songs usually aren't that great. I know Rathian and Lagi horns have it. Edit: I think Giggi's does too.

casiopao

Even if you don't have crit draw, you still have a really slow movement speed with the weapon out so sheath/unsheath isn't just for damage.

From Tri:

Charge Level 1 | 65% (x1.1) | Down (Hold) | -- |
| Charge Level 2 | 80% (x1.2) | Down (Hold) | -- |
| Charge Level 3 | 110% (x1.3) | Down (Hold) | -- |

Tx for your help here.^_^ Going to try GS once more.

Another question if you don't mind, is it a bad habit for me to keep collecting weapons here? I have been spending tons and tons of my muney here to get all kind of LS and with now i am moving to GS, i am also kinda spending tons of muney too.

Ken

Tx for your help here.^_^ Going to try GS once more.

Another question if you don't mind, is it a bad habit for me to keep collecting weapons here? I have been spending tons and tons of my muney here to get all kind of LS and with now i am moving to GS, i am also kinda spending tons of muney too.

Eh, the great thing anout MonHun is there's infinite crafting material and money, and most weapons scale decently or well into G-rank, that you can never really make "wrong/useless" gear. The biggest factor though is your time.

Yes, Mileena and I were doing that for a while. The cool thing about it is I'm fairly certain they nerfed dash juice for DS users - demon mode reduces its duration. But as far as I can tell, the HH song lasts its usual duration. The only issue is that there aren't a lot of HHs with that song and their other songs usually aren't that great. I know Rathian and Lagi horns have it. Edit: I think Giggi's does too.

Yes. You'll be the best husband ever! :p

Giggi has it too.
Thanks gents. I'll have to do some HH research and see what I want to make, because this sounds like a lot of fun, and I dig complicated weapons.

casiopao

Eh, the great thing anout MonHun is there's infinite crafting material and money, and most weapons scale decently or well into G-rank, that you can never really make "wrong/useless" gear. The biggest factor though is your time.

The main reason why i wanted to collect all weapon here, is simply to allow my char being able to fight any kind of monster and some weapon does better againts some monster which is why it is fun collecting them.^_^

I wanted to ask though, what do you think is better here? Dual Sword or Great Sword? As i have played both of them but i feel that it is not really beginner friendly especially if me who only plays ranged on all other Mon Hun installment here.(LS is quite easy to use though which is why i can main it quite easily.^_^)

My Top 3 Weapon:

1. LS
2. LBG and HBG
3. DS and GS.

Mupod

Thanks gents. I'll have to do some HH research and see what I want to make, because this sounds like a lot of fun, and I dig complicated weapons.

People get intimidated by the songs (I know what this is like) but they aren't hard to remember and the actual basic mechanics of the weapon are incredibly simple. Its reach and combos are pretty refreshing coming from a hammer, and it's still pretty strong and can KO/exhaust just fine.

The complicated part is working the recitals into your attacks without getting your shit slapped. The four note recital is by far its most powerful attack with huge damage and KO, but landing it takes a lot of skill and familiarity with the monster. But it feels so goddamn good to KO something with a recital.

quick tip: if you hold left or right during a stage 2 recital, it moves sideways. This does less damage but animates faster, so you can get out things like your self buff a lot easier.

Only people who rank up are people who initiate the quest. Somehow.

Is this only for the urgent quests? I haven't been really paying attention but I think the quests the girl and I do are completing with green checkmarks in the HR1 room. This just means every "Urgent" quest will need to be done twice for us? One where she picks it up and one where I do?

Mupod

Is this only for the urgent quests? I haven't been really paying attention but I think the quests the girl and I do are completing with green checkmarks in the HR1 room. This just means every "Urgent" quest will need to be done twice for us? One where she picks it up and one where I do?

If you do any other quest it counts as cleared for everybody, including key quests and quests you haven't unlocked yet.

But urgents only count as cleared for the one who posted it.

DaBoss

So is the 3DS version easy/good to play? I have a Wii U but I'm not around it often to justify getting it for that.

I love it, but the camera controls will require you to get used to it. The Wii U version controls better, but the 3DS version is still manageable.

Yes, it is only for urgent quests, which are the quests you need to do in order to rank up.

Also, thanks Mupod, now you have me listening to the '10 hours Epic Sax Guy' video. That guy is epic.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So is the 3DS version easy/good to play? I have a Wii U but I'm not around it often to justify getting it for that.

It's fine! I played for a while without Circle Pad Pro and got used to using re-center for exploration and monster-centring for monster battles.

I got a CCP on a website pretty cheap, and it's certainly better with it. Especially the underwater parts.

To all pro Hunter Gaffers here, i have been playing MonHun 3 Ult here and maining LS as my main weap.

Now, i am thinking of changing into GS but, i even had difficulties facing Great Wroggi here.T_T(I am on Village HR 7 star already and the Great Wroggi there is lower rank.T_T)

Any tips on using GS or i should just give up using that weapon there as return to LS and Light BG?

1) What Ken said about sheathing/unsheathing.
2) Learn your combos. (see below for a little bit of help)
3) Learn when NOT to attack and when you should be dodging and rolling out of the way after a combo. GS is *all* about knowing when to hit and when not to even try.
4) Learn to dodge/roll instead of block. Blocking can be helpful from time to time but it will degrade your sharpness quickly and sometimes still won't help too much. Not a good habit to get into to block with a GS when your first instinct should almost always be to roll or dodge. Add blocking later *after* you properly learn to roll and dodge (and unsheathe).
5) You don't neet to hit the monster as much with the GS as you do with other weapons (except perhaps some hammers) as each hit can do a TON of damage - especially if charged, but your attacks are slow and you have to time them well.
6) Don't be afraid to get in there and under those monsters! You can't stay away as a GS user and need to stay under or with the monster most of the time, depending on windows of opportunity. Sometimes when a monster is enraged and swinging around too much you may have no choice but to just run around with your sword unsheathed to let the monster calm down, then rush in when its tired and start whaling on it again... Obviously the positioning depends on the monster. I find I can only stay underneath a member of the Rathian family for a very short period of time or I'll get tail-stabbed. :) Some monsters (like G. Jaggi's) they don't stay put for very long so simply won't have a lot of time to get into charged attacks - however, they are weaker and go down faster anyway.
7) You probably wont' have to use a whetstone too often as you're simply not hitting as much as other weapons (including LS) - I usually only bother with a whetstone after the monster has run off to a different area and its mainly just to keep my blade sharp. That obviously depends on the actual sharpness level of your weapon and it also depends on how often you block.
8) Although I don't play online (I'm on 3DS :( ) if you do play online then your job is mainly to concentrate on the tail. Usually its a good idea to try and chop that sucker off anyway but you'll want to break parts like the head or wings when you can later on - especially in High Rank and later.

The main combos I use are:
1) Run up to the monster with weapon sheathed and WHILE STILL MOVING I hit "X" and hold it down to start a charged attack. Depending on the window I think I have I will charge it to 1, 2, (or even 3) levels, then tap and release "X" again to do a quick followup stab.
2) After the first two attacks, you have options:
2a) Roll if you're expecting retaliation.
2b) If you think you can go into a BIG attack then followup with holding the left analog stick in some direction (I usually hold it to the left for whatever reason), and then hold down the "X" button for a third time third and let it charge up as much as you can. You will have a different animation here as you pull the GS way back. If you do that attack then I highly suggest you immediately go into a roll after attacking as I think this is the biggest attack you can do (not 100% sure though but it feels that I do more damage with this attack at the same charge level as the regular "X" unsheath attacks). If you don't roll then you'll just sit there for a moment and you're open then.
2c) If you want to get in one more hit but can't commit to a big attack then I often hit "A" to perform a sweep.
3) End with a roll or ducking to a side. With some monsters you can skip this step and immediately go into another attack but it depends on the monster, what it's doing, etc.

Sometimes I just go straight into a sweep ("A" button) if the monster is passing by me or its a smaller monster like a G. Jaggi.

EDIT: Festwill caught a typo I corrected above.

Three top MH3U weapons for me:
1) GS (almost all of the time)
2) LS (usually only when gathering as my main GS lacks a slot I use with my gathering armor plus the LS has a longer "reach" and is faster overhead versus flying bugs. :)
3) DS(I crafted Brother Flames solely for the
Ceadeus
fight and sometimes mess around with it.)

If you do any other quest it counts as cleared for everybody, including key quests and quests you haven't unlocked yet.

But urgents only count as cleared for the one who posted it.

I love it, but the camera controls will require you to get used to it. The Wii U version controls better, but the 3DS version is still manageable.

Yes, it is only for urgent quests, which are the quests you need to do in order to rank up.

Also, thanks Mupod, now you have me listening to the '10 hours Epic Sax Guy' video. That guy is epic.

Awesome, thanks!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There... there are quick select slots? I am going to cry.

For ammo only? Or for anything?

For ammo. You access it the same way you access the inventory quick select. At least that's how it is on the 3ds. Allows you to switch ammo type.

Finally got motherfucking querpeco down. Dude has been destroying me all day.

When can I get access to more gun lances BTW?

Got this coming soon for Wii U. Can't wait. I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems pretty intense, though. Is there some type of tutorial to get you started, or will I be doing lots of internet research to learn how to play the game?

Mupod

Man I tear shit up with my Deviljho Dual Blades!
The low attack stats are negated by how quickly you can strike.
I also have a 40% chance of a critical hit with each strike, so I'm sure that helps a ton too.

DS are far from weak offensively, especially if you deal with their weaknesses by having sharp sword and marathon runner.

Affinity isn't really that great for them though. It sure doesn't hurt, but even a 40% chance to do 25% extra raw damage isn't gonna blow you away on a weapon that excels at elemental effects.

I'm thinking of using my Pallium to fully upgrade my Brachydios DS. The Dios hammer is massively outclassed by the Uragaan hammer once it's awakened so I don't wanna make that. I'm curious if a brachy DS is particularly better than just using the appropriate element though.

Got this coming soon for Wii U. Can't wait. I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems pretty intense, though. Is there some type of tutorial to get you started, or will I be doing lots of internet research to learn how to play the game?

It starts slow and easy to ease you into things like gathering, but there isn't a specific handholding kind of tutorial. Internet research will absolutely help you here, there are tons of videos made by the community for weapon and monster tutorials.

DaBoss

For ammo. You access it the same way you access the inventory quick select. At least that's how it is on the 3ds. Allows you to switch ammo type.

Finally got motherfucking querpeco down. Dude has been destroying me all day.

When can I get access to more gun lances BTW?

Just continue beating more monsters and you'll get access to more gun lances.

There is a long-winded tutorial on the basics, but not about what the controls are.

olimpia84

I need an explanation on how long swords work. I had a Cerberus Katana which all I had to do was tap R and finish the combo to increase my spirit and make the sword glow. Now that I upgraded to a Wyvern Fire Blade (or something like that) I tap R but my combo stops in the second hit. What gives?

Schwabe

Wow, this thread has more pages/postings than the Black Ops II OT... I wish Monster Hunter had Sales like Call of Duty... Okay, maybe not that much, but a quarter maybe? ;)

explodet

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that you can run around whacking monsters with a coffin on a stick. Just can't imagine good sound quality from something that came from a giant flabby hookworm thing.

Anyway, we took down our first Deviljho.
Feels pretty damn awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom