• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Wow, this thread has more pages/postings than the Black Ops II OT... I wish Monster Hunter had Sales like Call of Duty... Okay, maybe not that much, but a quarter maybe? ;)

If you want a laugh compare it to Gears Judgement's OT, a game which came out the same day.

MH is very good at spurring discussion though. Dark Souls is similar in that respect and its OT moved like lightning, it certainly didn't do COD numbers either of course.

Chuckpebble

For ammo. You access it the same way you access the inventory quick select. At least that's how it is on the 3ds. Allows you to switch ammo type.

Finally got motherfucking querpeco down. Dude has been destroying me all day.

When can I get access to more gun lances BTW?

If you're very early on, you can do the Bullfango event quest from the port and get the Marquis Gunlance. It's got green sharpness, affinity and defense boosts. It easily outclasses the starter gunlances. After that, I went with the Barroth one. It has negative affinity but gobs of raw power. Its also the first thing I upgraded in high rank village and its amazing now.

People get intimidated by the songs (I know what this is like) but they aren't hard to remember and the actual basic mechanics of the weapon are incredibly simple. Its reach and combos are pretty refreshing coming from a hammer, and it's still pretty strong and can KO/exhaust just fine.

The complicated part is working the recitals into your attacks without getting your shit slapped. The four note recital is by far its most powerful attack with huge damage and KO, but landing it takes a lot of skill and familiarity with the monster. But it feels so goddamn good to KO something with a recital.

quick tip: if you hold left or right during a stage 2 recital, it moves sideways. This does less damage but animates faster, so you can get out things like your self buff a lot easier.
I read on the wiki that you can play your notes in reverse for more flexibility, but I don't understand how to do that. Is it automatic?

I plan on making the Gigginox HH ASAP. I like its style, and I'm all about aesthetics. I'm looking at 2 HHs (just thought play) to work toward:

Bloodfreezer/Darkest Coffin: (paralysis on the former, purple sharpness on the latter with sharp +1)
Defense Boost (L)
Health Recovery (S)
Negate Stamina Use (L)
Wind Pressure Negated
Health Rec (M) & Antidote

Meltrovone: (purp, but -affinity)
Defense Boost (L)
Psychic
Negate Stamina Use (L)
Wind Pressure Negated
Negate Stun
Snow/ Mud Negated

The Lagia horn (Orange/Blue/Purple) doesn't seem to have any interesting songs aside from Wind Res and Negate Stamina Use, so I probably won't use that one.

I would love to get Sonic Waves in there, but all of the horns that have Sonic Waves and Negate Stamina Use are bad or lose the yellow note when they upgrade more (grrrr). I dig Psychic because it's just so convenient to have, but I also like being able to heal in a pinch when it's needed.

Comments are welcome, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I don't know but it sounds like a Gigginox playing a broken accordion.
Really? I just used it and it sounded more like screams to me. Especially when you play the notes, it's like a chorus of terror. I love it.

Mupod

I read on the wiki that you can play your notes in reverse for more flexibility, but I don't understand how to do that. Is it automatic?

I plan on making the Gigginox HH ASAP. I like its style, and I'm all about aesthetics. I'm looking at 2 HHs (just thought play) to work toward:

Bloodfreezer/Darkest Coffin: (paralysis on the former, purple sharpness on the latter with sharp +1)
Defense Boost (L)
Health Recovery (S)
Negate Stamina Use (L)
Wind Pressure Negated
Health Rec (M) & Antidote

Meltrovone: (purp, but -affinity)
Defense Boost (L)
Psychic
Negate Stamina Use (L)
Wind Pressure Negated
Negate Stun
Snow/ Mud Negated

The Lagia horn (Orange/Blue/Purple) doesn't seem to have any interesting songs aside from Wind Res and Negate Stamina Use, so I probably won't use that one.

I would love to get Sonic Waves in there, but all of the horns that have Sonic Waves and Negate Stamina Use are bad or lose the yellow note when they upgrade more (grrrr). I dig Psychic because it's just so convenient to have, but I also like being able to heal in a pinch when it's needed.

Comments are welcome, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I have no idea about the playing notes backwards thing. It must be referring to the note order, like for example AuL would be purple/orange/orange/red and it means you can play red/orange/orange/purple instead? That would blow my mind if true since I have never noticed that happening when just randomly fighting (it highlights the notes when you have a song you can play). It might be referring to 2nd gen horns, but I'll test it anyways.

Defense boost L gives a pretty significant boost, but defense is nowhere near as useful as attack. Which is why I prefer Zinogre's horn. Negate Stamina can be extremely good of course depending on your group makeup, so that could make up for it.

Wind pressure negate isn't that useful in my experience. Not really worth the time to play it, but it's helpful against some monsters.

Snow/mud negate is awesome against Barroth and his snow version. Not very useful for anything else.

Negate stun has me considering making the meltrovone for when playing with...uh, 'death-prone' people. Did not even know that was a song that existed.

I need an explanation on how long swords work. I had a Cerberus Katana which all I had to do was tap R and finish the combo to increase my spirit and make the sword glow. Now that I upgraded to a Wyvern Fire Blade (or something like that) I tap R but my combo stops in the second hit. What gives?

The spirit combo drains your spirit gauge (under your health/stamina), so you can't finish the combo unless the gauge is almost full. Hit with regular attacks to gain spirit. With the Focus skill, you only need about 4-5 attacks to fill it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you're very early on, you can do the Bullfango event quest from the port and get the Marquis Gunlance. It's got green sharpness, affinity and defense boosts. It easily outclasses the starter gunlances. After that, I went with the Barroth one. It has negative affinity but gobs of raw power. Its also the first thing I upgraded in high rank village and its amazing now.

Hmm, I can see the barroth quest, but not the bullfango one.

Mupod

Oh also:

Sonic waves sounds powerful but in practice it's extremely hard to use during the short windows it'd be useful (digging diablos, singing qurupeco). It's ridiculous against Lagombi though.

Healing songs can be cool but often they don't heal for very much at all (maestro makes this happen less, but you should always have that). However if you're using recitals for damage, they are good to have since you can plan your attacks and play them constantly to keep people topped off. Emergency group healing is still better done by Lifepowder.

Kouriozan

Phew, couldn't find people online do to my very last key quest (Ivory Lagi + Gobul) this last 2 day so I said **** it I'm soloing this one.
First time Lagi comboed me to death, that was painful, second time I capped it in 20 min. then Gobul was really easy.
Ok I'm ready for Dire Miralis! But not now, tonight will be the night!

Oh also:

Sonic waves sounds powerful but in practice it's extremely hard to use during the short windows it'd be useful (digging diablos, singing qurupeco). It's ridiculous against Lagombi though.

Healing songs can be cool but often they don't heal for very much at all (maestro makes this happen less, but you should always have that). However if you're using recitals for damage, they are good to have since you can plan your attacks and play them constantly to keep people topped off. Emergency group healing is still better done by Lifepowder.
I wouldn't bother with the healing alone, but it's my wife's first MH game, and I know that if Purple Ludroth and Gigginox poison me a lot, she'll be getting poisoned too. So I might as well be able to Antidote us all while healing.

I figured that for Sonic Waves I could try keeping the notes up and ready to go at all times. Does the effect take place right away, or after the song is done playing? What's the area of effect like? If they need to be right next to me, yeah, it's probably not going to be helping with Diablos...

It would be badass to play Sonic Wave near a bunch of Delex and have them spring up, though.

I'm mostly theoryfighting - I'll have a more educated opinion once I get to try the weapon out.

When do you Sonic Lagombi?

I have no idea about the playing notes backwards thing. It must be referring to the note order, like for example AuL would be purple/orange/orange/red and it means you can play red/orange/orange/purple instead? That would blow my mind if true since I have never noticed that happening when just randomly fighting (it highlights the notes when you have a song you can play). It might be referring to 2nd gen horns, but I'll test it anyways.

Defense boost L gives a pretty significant boost, but defense is nowhere near as useful as attack. Which is why I prefer Zinogre's horn. Negate Stamina can be extremely good of course depending on your group makeup, so that could make up for it.

Wind pressure negate isn't that useful in my experience. Not really worth the time to play it, but it's helpful against some monsters.

Snow/mud negate is awesome against Barroth and his snow version. Not very useful for anything else.

Negate stun has me considering making the meltrovone for when playing with...uh, 'death-prone' people. Did not even know that was a song that existed.
Well, this is in all in the context of playing with my DS-using wife, so Negate Stamina Use is a prerequisite. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother at all, since I'm good at managing my stamina.

Mupod

I wouldn't bother with the healing alone, but it's my wife's first MH game, and I know that if Purple Ludroth and Gigginox poison me a lot, she'll be getting poisoned too. So I might as well be able to Antidote us all while healing.

I figured that for Sonic Waves I could try keeping the notes up and ready to go at all times. Does the effect take place right away, or after the song is done playing? What's the area of effect like? If they need to be right next to me, yeah, it's probably not going to be helping with Diablos...

It would be badass to play Sonic Wave near a bunch of Delex and have them spring up, though.

I'm mostly theoryfighting - I'll have a more educated opinion once I get to try the weapon out.

When do you Sonic Lagombi?

Well, this is in all in the context of playing with my DS-using wife, so Negate Stamina Use is a prerequisite. Otherwise I probably wouldn't bother at all, since I'm good at managing my stamina.

Sonic Waves is actually one of the easier songs to keep up all the time, since the best single HH attack is the upswing and the required notes (yellow) are usually tied to X+A. Since the song is just Y+Y+Y you can just spam the upswing when trying to KO a monster and have nothing but yellow notes up.

The range is the same as a sonic bomb but it's centered on you. It's a little hard to use on Delex but it does work, and your comment makes me laugh because I originally picked up the HH in MHFU because I wanted to use the speed boost and sonic waves as a way to economically farm Cephalos. Didn't work out so well.

As for Lagombi, you can sonic him any time he's not enraged so...yeah. It's just unfair and mean. I don't know if you can sonic waves Nibelsnarf when he's doing the sand blast or if you specifically need to throw a bomb into his mouth.

I was playing with some GAF people the other day and they can probably tell you about the time I spent a whole quest trying to sonic waves a Diablos and I never managed to do it, heh.

The thing about healing reactively with a 4 note song is you won't really have many chances to do it unless you are focusing on keeping the song's notes up all the time. And you'll miss attacking opportunities if you're thinking 'okay, I need to hit with X this many times then upswing then use the B attack' or whatever. And just playing it whenever it comes up can be dangerous. This is why I love hunting horns though, tons of depth and planning to them outside of just hitting the head repeatedly.

Hoodbury

Man, I feel like an idiot. I've been farming for the last two nights non stop stupid great jaggi and volvi g-rank just trying to get one last Jagg Scale+ and can't get one for the life of me. Desire sensor is fine and all, but it's for plates, gems, and stuff like that, not fricken jaggi scales.

So today I get on my work comp where I downloaded the Brady Games guide and I see that the Jaggi Scale+'s are carves from the minion jaggies, not Great Jaggi.

ef me. :/

At least I have my fair share of conq seals now...

arimanius

So I'm trying to kill Duramboros for the Shakalaka Savior II quest and I'm having the hardest time. Right now I'm using a Thane lance with a full set of Barroth armor. I can get him limping but can't finish the job. I've thought about trying to get the dlc lance but I haven't done any online quests yet so that may take awhile.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Mupod

So I'm trying to kill Duramboros for the Shakalaka Savior II quest and I'm having the hardest time. Right now I'm using a Thane lance with a full set of Barroth armor. I can get him limping but can't finish the job. I've thought about trying to get the dlc lance but I haven't done any online quests yet so that may take awhile.

When he starts up the hammer spin, don't run. Wait for two rotations and get under his feet, then start attacking. If you stagger him he'll fall over, drop a shiny and leave his humps open for a long time. He has high HP but this is offset by the massive damage he takes on those hitzones once they are broken, so the fight is based around getting access to them as much as you can.

He gets hungry easily so pitfall him when he does, which leaves the humps in reach.

His head takes very little damage. I think Lances do impact damage when hitting his tail, so that might be a valid location to aim for.

Chuckpebble

Do that quest, if you're talking about the Bullfango quest. It gives you a good fire lance. Its actually not bad solo. You can't wear any armor or charms, but you should be OK with the lance you have. Just stay to the perimeter of the arena and try to only aggro one critter at a time. Its bullfango and rhenopolos, so it can easily turn into a clusterfuck of blindsiding and flying and tumbling. But yeah, keep killing everything and carving if possible. I got what I needed in just one run through.

arimanius

When he starts up the hammer spin, don't run. Wait for two rotations and get under his feet, then start attacking. If you stagger him he'll fall over, drop a shiny and leave his humps open for a long time. He has high HP but this is offset by the massive damage he takes on those hitzones once they are broken, so the fight is based around getting access to them as much as you can.

He gets hungry easily so pitfall him when he does, which leaves the humps in reach.

His head takes very little damage. I think Lances do impact damage when hitting his tail, so that might be a valid location to aim for.

Awesome didn't realize I could make him fall over during the hammer spin. I normally run for the hills. I was also targeting his head and stomach, didn't know the humps were the spot I should be targeting.

I'll see if I can sneak some playtime in during work and give these a shot. Thanks! :)

Do that quest, if you're talking about the Bullfango quest. It gives you a good fire lance. Its actually not bad solo. You can't wear any armor or charms, but you should be OK with the lance you have. Just stay to the perimeter of the arena and try to only aggro one critter at a time. Its bullfango and rhenopolos, so it can easily turn into a clusterfuck of blindsiding and flying and tumbling. But yeah, keep killing everything and carving if possible. I got what I needed in just one run through.

Oh cool. I figured it would take a while of farming to get everything needed. The lance seems to be a great upgrade over the thane lance, so I'll have to try to knock that out.

Man I had been holding off fighting Barroth because I had heard he was the first tough fight (and is already had some trouble with Qurupeco). I was grinding stuff for hours getting the Rhenopolous armor set and the first ice hammer. Then kept grinding for other stuff I didn't really need for the fight.

I finally said fuck it and gave it a shot, and beat him handily in like 15-20 minutes LOL.

On to Gobul!

Man I had been holding off fighting Barroth because I had heard he was the first tough fight (and is already had some trouble with Qurupeco). I was grinding stuff for hours getting the Rhenopolous armor set and the first ice hammer. Then kept grinding for other stuff I didn't really need for the fight.

I finally said fuck it and gave it a shot, and beat him handily in like 15-20 minutes LOL.

On to Gobul!
Barroth was the first tough fight in MHT. He was nerfed in MH3U, big time.

I would say the first difficult fight in the game for a newcomer is Rathalos, just because those jump back fireballs will catch you over and over...
and over and over and over...

olimpia84

The spirit combo drains your spirit gauge (under your health/stamina), so you can't finish the combo unless the gauge is almost full. Hit with regular attacks to gain spirit. With the Focus skill, you only need about 4-5 attacks to fill it.

Ok, will give that a shot.

Alrus

Barroth was the first tough fight in MHT. He was nerfed in MH3U, big time.

I would say the first difficult fight in the game for a newcomer is Rathalos, just because those jump back fireballs will catch you over and over...
and over and over and over...

Lagiacrus is harder than Rathalos imo, mostly because you have to fight him underwater a lot.

Long Sword has become an unexpected favorite for me. Going from a two swing combo to a near infinite combo was a big discovery for me. Now I just have to capture the sea dragon so I can finish off the last 5 star quest.

vareon

Did a couple of quests to help a friend raise his HR. I'm kinda stumped with my weapon now. Maybe I'll fight the urgen Jhen Mohran today.

Long Sword has become an unexpected favorite for me. Going from a two swing combo to a near infinite combo was a big discovery for me. Now I just have to capture the sea dragon so I can finish off the last 5 star quest.

Wait, how?

You may want to try and capture him rather than go for the kill - could be quicker (and capturing almost always gives more rewards anyway). That was the only way I could get that quest done in time.

Attack his hump things. Whenever it falls over and its humps are exposed attack them with everything. You can also use pitfall traps to reach his hump things. I was able to beat it with 11 minutes to spare thanks to that one trick.

Chaos

Rather than killing him you could try capturing him, can make a trap with trap tool and thunderbug.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What are your top 3 most used weapons?

For me it's:

1. Long Sword
Started using it because underwater fights are much easier with it, and then just kept going.

2. Hunting Horn
It's just fun.

3. Don't have one yet, but if I do sometime I'll go bow & arrows (need CPP for this) or great sword.

1. Great Sword
Few mechanics in any game feel as satisfying as bringing a Stage 3-charged swing down on a monster which interrupts its attack and causes it to stagger backwards. Bonus points if you crack something in the process. It takes patience to learn the timing of your sword and each monster, but when you do, you feel just as fast as any other weapon... just a lot more powerful.

2. Long Sword
DPS is insane with Spirit Gauge charged, hard to interrupt combos, and lots of options for elemental weapons.

3. Dual Swords
Barely tried them so far but I like the idea of being able to attack quickly.

Want to try the Hunting Horn eventually.

Top 3?

Bow. I can inflict any status I want on any monster I want (barring immunities), stay safe, full movement speed, and have easy sleep bombings? Yes?

Bow. I can have free piercing, an extra 50% damage when I need it, and don't entirely depend on ammo like the bowgun does? Yes?

Sword and Shield. Get to stay quick on my feet, use potions without having to stop. Status effects are cool too brah.

Mrcapcom

I have never played a Monster Hunter Game but it looks cool. I tried playing God Eater on PSP and I kinda liked that but thought it would be cooler with friends so I stopped playing it. I kinda want this game but im not sure.

Whats the chances ill like this game?

Got this coming soon for Wii U. Can't wait. I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems pretty intense, though. Is there some type of tutorial to get you started, or will I be doing lots of internet research to learn how to play the game?

I had pretty much no MH knowledge before this, I played through the first few quests then went online and the random people I played with helped me out and taught me loads about the game.

Gamble

Why is farming the diablos for a majestic horn such a pain in the ass.....Been trying for 2 days and still no horn drop :-(

Top 3?

Bow. I can inflict any status I want on any monster I want (barring immunities), stay safe, full movement speed, and have easy sleep bombings? Yes?

Bow. I can have free piercing, an extra 50% damage when I need it, and don't entirely depend on ammo like the bowgun does? Yes?

Sword and Shield. Get to stay quick on my feet, use potions without having to stop. Status effects are cool too brah.

I dunno brah. I tried bow for at the beginning and it took forever to kill anything. Royal Ludroth took me 48 minutes and it was an absolute nightmare underwater. LBG/HBG are way more useful imo

Gamble

I dunno brah. I tried bow for at the beginning and it took forever to kill anything. Royal Ludroth took me 48 minutes and it was an absolute nightmare underwater. LBG/HBG are way more useful imo

Hmmm been thinking about making a queens bow just for some diversity in my weapons but I worry about defense with the bows/gunner sets needed spoiled with using the sword and shield and regular lance

Ah, I see. Tried this a few times before, but always stopped by either the enemy moving or attacking.
Yea, I guess I ment infinite in the sense that if nothing was stopping ya then you could go on forever. I went resource hunting to work on my timing and beat down a Quropeco and the dragon moth. Might be my new main. Also, capturing the dragon moth got me 1k resource points.

Yea, I guess I ment infinite in the sense that if nothing was stopping ya then you could go on forever. I went resource hunting to work on my timing and beat down a Quropeco and the dragon moth. Might be my new main. Also, capturing the dragon moth got me 1k resource points.
What's a dragon moth?

Is it related to that butterfly-looking armor?

Alrus

What bow did you use? Most low rank bows kind of suck until you can craft a Queen Blaster I, that bow has bonus poison, focus arc shot and spread level 3 (most bows stop at level 2 or have mediocre stuff like pierce), it's amazing. Seriously when a monster is weak to poison I can usually poison them 3 times in a row without any issue, then para/bomb them, and usually it only takes about 5 minutes to finish them. Most monster take me around 10 min to kill, I barely get hit and I usually get all the breaks. Bows are really awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom