• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

]blacky[;53577999 said:
Some people told me that I can grow toadstools at the farm when I first got some. That’s not true. What went wrong?

Have you upgraded your farm to be able to farm mushrooms?

Mupod

I think I'll wait until more GAFre are at rank 7 before doing Miralis again.
I was doing OK solo, ran out of pots at 30 min. and kept fighting until there was 5 min left before giving up, used too much item to lose them >.<

You can just choose not to save and then reset.

If I'd given up at 5 minutes I would not have gotten my first kills of Ukanlos and Alatreon, come to think of it...

Haunted

blacky[;53577999]Some people told me that I can grow toadstools at the farm when I first got some. That&#8217;s not true. What went wrong?
You definitely can, but I'm not sure if you had to upgrade your farm to be able to in the first place. You might have to do one of the chief's son village requests so your farm gets a shroom section.

went out with my 3DS but forgot to move my Wii U save to 3DS for guld cards
LLShC.gif
this streetpass thing is not working for me

anyone want to help me with HR3?

Fistwell

Typo. I meant run up with the weapon sheathed... :)

I'll fix my original post. Thanks for the catch.
Hahaha, yeah I figured,

1 hour waiting for Dire Miralis, ok I get it, no one want to do it.
Guess I'll have to solo this one too.
We can do it tomorrow. Other people should need him as well. I could use some of his mats.

yes, that marks my first night of not-dying-at-all for this week!

fucking B-Day!
Haaha! :D

NeoRausch

I STILL don't understand that guys birthday remark. I'm damm baffled about that one.

am i the only one who is freaking psyched for the update next week?

I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW NA-BROTHERHOOD HERE IN EUROPE!

let's join our forces! it's not grandfathers WWII anymore! is monster wars III!

Fistwell

I STILL don't understand that guys birthday remark. I'm damm baffled about that one.
It was... I... yeah.

"B-Day"
"wat... Bitter Day?"
"No Birthday you fucking NOOOOOB, can we do gobul now daaafoooooq?"
"Sure. Bbye."

am i the only one who is freaking psyched for the update next week?
Yeah, interesting to get more people to play with. Off-screen is coming as well, right.

NeoRausch

Speaking of, how do you get that to work? Where do you download the thing for the 3DS to transfer?

transfer tool is right up in the eshop. just search fit MonHun or transfer tool.

for street pass, enter Tanzia and speak to the cat right to your tent. the one with the crazy peco hat.

It was... I... yeah.

"B-Day"
"wat... Bitter Day?"
"No Birthday you fucking NOOOOOB, can we do gobul now daaafoooooq?"
"Sure. Bbye."

that's the kind of shit I get for playing with random. but sometimes it's just unavoidable to do some quests.... sadly! who on GAF would collect shrooms or go fishing for gold fishes?

Yeah, interesting to get more people to play with. Off-screen is coming as well, right.

aww yisss, almost forgot about off TV play! yay!

got a room made HR3+ GAF at 3>9 NA servers

too far behind everyone one else cannot wait for EU servers to open to NA players

edit: too hungry gone for dinner

Jharp

New hunter here, just thought I'd share my experience so far:

Two of my closest friends have been playing Monster Hunter for years, starting with the PSP games. They always tried to get me in on it, but I never found the appeal and hated the controls. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and my buddy, who had just bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of Monster Hunter, offered to pick me up a copy and finally get me into it. I respectfully declined, uncomfortable with the idea of him spending $40 on me for a game I knew I wouldn't like.

Well he did it any way, and within hours of killing Kelbi and Jaggi, I was actually finding the game pretty fun. He took me on to hunt Royal Ludroth, a fight during which I did absolutely nothing but float about in the water trying to make heads or tales of that shit (I still fucking hate it) but generally impressed with how much fun I was having when I got a hit or two in. Fast forward a couple days and I've worked up the nerve to finally take on Great Jaggi, which takes me for goddamn ever to whittle down because I'm still using the default sword and shield. Fast forward another few days and I've begun to learn hammer (still using it) by fighting Arzuros, who then became my spirit monster because of the number of times I fought and capped him. He's still one of my favorite fights, even though he's so piss easy, just because of how much I learned on him.

It's now been about two weeks and I'm just under 30 hours in. Rocking Wroggi gear (I am the goddamn Hombre) and just ditched my Carapace Hammer for a Vortex Hammer that I intend on upgrading to a Vortex+ today after I lucked out a Lagi cap mission and got his plate. I'm in 5* of LR Moga quests, currently fighting lots of Rathian, Lagi, and similar monsters. Me and my two bros are working our way through all the Tavern quests, and I just made the Azi Dahaka for Paralysis in group play. We're going to get together tonight and hunt it the fuck up. Last time we did Lagi, Rathalos, Uragaan, Nibblesnarf, Baritoth, and Giggi, and it was so goddamn much fun.

I get it, you guys. I finally get it. Monster Hunter kicks so much ass. Honstly, I've played most of this year's biggest releases, like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, and Crysis, and though I enjoyed each of them, Monster Hunter pulls ahead of them all by quite a margin. It's just pure distilled fun. Nothing in those games is nearly as satisfying as getting my ass kicked by a Lagiacrus over and over again, and when nearly at the brink of quitting, I not only cap his ass, but break his horn, and get a fucking Plate. Triumph. Pure and utter triumph.

Kouriozan

Yeah, Monster Hunter is pretty much addictive once you know what you are doing.
I think I have 120 hours of playtime now, some should have more than the double of that ^^'
Even doing easy quest with GAF is fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Two of my closest friends have been playing Monster Hunter for years, starting with the PSP games. They always tried to get me in on it, but I never found the appeal and hated the controls. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and my buddy, who had just bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of Monster Hunter, offered to pick me up a copy and finally get me into it. I respectfully declined, uncomfortable with the idea of him spending $40 on me for a game I knew I wouldn't like.

Well he did it any way, and within hours of killing Kelbi and Jaggi, I was actually finding the game pretty fun. He took me on to hunt Royal Ludroth, a fight during which I did absolutely nothing but float about in the water trying to make heads or tales of that shit (I still fucking hate it) but generally impressed with how much fun I was having when I got a hit or two in. Fast forward a couple days and I've worked up the nerve to finally take on Great Jaggi, which takes me for goddamn ever to whittle down because I'm still using the default sword and shield. Fast forward another few days and I've begun to learn hammer (still using it) by fighting Arzuros, who then became my spirit monster because of the number of times I fought and capped him. He's still one of my favorite fights, even though he's so piss easy, just because of how much I learned on him.

It's now been about two weeks and I'm just under 30 hours in. Rocking Wroggi gear (I am the goddamn Hombre) and just ditched my Carapace Hammer for a Vortex Hammer that I intend on upgrading to a Vortex+ today after I lucked out a Lagi cap mission and got his plate. I'm in 5* of LR Moga quests, currently fighting lots of Rathian, Lagi, and similar monsters. Me and my two bros are working our way through all the Tavern quests, and I just made the Azi Dahaka for Paralysis in group play. We're going to get together tonight and hunt it the fuck up. Last time we did Lagi, Rathalos, Uragaan, Nibblesnarf, Baritoth, and Giggi, and it was so goddamn much fun.

I get it, you guys. I finally get it. Monster Hunter kicks so much ass. Honstly, I've played most of this year's biggest releases, like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, and Crysis, and though I enjoyed each of them, Monster Hunter pulls ahead of them all by quite a margin. It's just pure distilled fun. Nothing in those games is nearly as satisfying as getting my ass kicked by a Lagiacrus over and over again, and when nearly at the brink of quitting, I not only cap his ass, but break his horn, and get a fucking Plate. Triumph. Pure and utter triumph.
I think of it like a puzzle game at time with how you have to recognize and react.
Muscle memory? After you get the basics down it becomes second nature.

I remember as a noon my heart thumping during big battles and now that those are behind me, the beginning of 3 was child's play

Ultratech

Got through much of HR7 Keys last night.

Think I got one or two more left? (I know I still got I.Lagi/Gobul for sure.)

Had an epic Deviljho fight last night though.

We were doing the Jho quest in the Desert and after we got him out into Area 9 (Northern Desert area), towards the end we just had an epic stagger-fest. Knocked him down like a good 4-5 times in a row in succession. He'd get up only to get knocked right back down. Ended up getting the finishing blow just right as he went into Rage Mode after getting up from the final knockdown.

This makes me smile. :)

Glad you're enjoying yourself!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

So good huh. I'm stoked that my bf has gotten so into it too, there's something really cool about finally finding a game we can play together that is actually really challenging and fun.

The progression is the best part - from having difficulty with Jaggi, Ludroth, Qurupeco, Gobul and now Lagi and being able to smash them all pretty fast and without much difficulty is great. It's like you hit a wall and feel like you can't progress, but then it clicks.

A question - are Paralysis effects good for a hammer? I have the option to create the Numbingbird hammer and was gonna go that route. I assume the effect builds up over time and kicks in when it reaches a certain threshold?

Chuckpebble

where is my Cha Cha?
The jokes, they write themselves.
Seriously though, you're going to have to clear a few quest before he returns. For me, he returned after beating Volvidon (probably spelled wrong, that guy above would probably call it Samus) but there may have been other key quests I did before that too.

The jokes, they write themselves.
Seriously though, you're going to have to clear a few quest before he returns. For me, he returned after beating Volvidon (probably spelled wrong, that guy above would probably call it Samus) but there may have been other key quests I did before that too.

I've seen a lot of people ask this.

The answer is just keep playing the game and you'll find out lol. It's almost like when during a movie people ask questions about what might be going on.

because of the small text I hardly read any of the stuff being said so if he said goodbye or something I have no idea the cat speak would not have made much sense anyway but not seeing him online or in quests when I called bugged me lol

this volcano stone quest needs some thinking I need something to get this done
got to capture a Lagiacrus alone :(

I didn't have a chance to play yesterday for the first time since launch. Now my desire to start up a quest or grind some mats is significantly lower than it was 2 days ago.

It's like the spell is broken :(

Satch

Banned
I didn't have a chance to play yesterday for the first time since launch. Now my desire to start up a quest or grind some mats is significantly lower than it was 2 days ago.

It's like the spell is broken :(

thats what happened to me

RIP

but i mean i put like 108 hours into the game before i got bored and thats more hours than i've put into basically any other game that i've ever owned that isn't named TF2

oh and maybe skyrim

Ricky 7

Do G rank Lagiacrus still drop sapphires because it seems like I'm wasting my time with farming the high rank one?

Also an OT question, how do you change your avatar to a .gif on this site? I thought it wasn't possible but I've seen someone else with one.

matm666

Cant play this anymore, got disconnected in every single quest :( so sad, Im in Mexico but it worked fine last week! Im waiting for the update and Wii U update to see if starts working again.

thats what happened to me

RIP

but i mean i put like 108 hours into the game before i got bored and thats more hours than i've put into basically any other game that i've ever owned that isn't named TF2

oh and maybe skyrim

I don't think I'm bored so much as I think it's the beginning of me developing a more healthy attitude towards it. Or, I could just be bored...

Speaking of Skyrim, I can't think of another game that I went from being obsessed with to hating from the bottom of my heart so fast. One day I jumped on after playing like 4 hours the day before, put in about 2 minutes in I thought, "Man, fuck this shit." and I haven't touched it since. You couldn't pay me to play it now. That's a lie, I don't wanna play it is what I'm saying.

Exactly my thoughts.

Pumped I could upgrade it ahead of schedule only to discover that its stats aren't all that great compared to other LS and GL I had available. Looks cool, though! :D

On that note, am I the only one registering equipment sets with weapons that fit the armour set aesthetically, even if they're not the weapons I actually intend to use? >_>

I use it on my G-rank azourious armor becuase it's an easy to make 3 slot weapon. This gives me enough slots to fill up my hunter skills for my "Gathering set."

I might also use it for my "Hunting Set" which will consist of psychic/ranger/capture guru/??? and my Transporter set (heat res, transportr, stamina???).

Neki

I think I'll wait until more GAFer are at rank 7 before doing Miralis again.
I was doing OK solo, ran out of pots at 30 min. and kept fighting until there was 5 min left before giving up, used too much item to lose them >.<

I beat Ceadeus for the first time with 1 minute left, I was so sad then I threw out one attack and it broke his horn and I was like "wat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom