• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish we could use our old saves from Tri and transfer them over... I'd love to get this, but the thought of having to play through 100 hours of "bullshit" quests just to get to the good stuff is disheartening... Bah... Every game should do like PSO ver.2 and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen have done when it comes to these "expansions". For fuck's sake!

Ken

I just wish we could use our old saves from Tri and transfer them over... I'd love to get this, but the thought of having to play through 100 hours of "bullshit" quests just to get to the good stuff is disheartening... Bah... Every game should do like PSO ver.2 and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen have done when it comes to these "expansions". For fuck's sake!

For me, the most fun I have out of MonHun is the journey to the top. Once at the top, there's not much else to do after having completed my list of desired gear. It's one of those games I wish I could experience again for the first time, and having to restart from level 0 is as close as I'll ever get to that.

L Thammy

Hopefully Capcom improves the free hunt feature even more in 4. It's hilarious when you're fighting two large monsters and a whole bunch of small ones. Dinosaurs and fireballs flying all over the place.

I played for 100+ hours and still doesn't feel I play Gunlance correctly.

Gunlance is so weird. When I tried it out in the demo, I couldn't kill Plesioth until I figured out the stab -> stab -> stab -> detonate combo. I'm not convinced that's the best way to do damage, either, but I have no intention of solving that riddle. Good on you for keeping at it.

Hattori

Banned
Just tried LS, and I'm loving it, love it so much I went and grinded for sharqskins to upgrade Argosy's sword. I then went and spent half my money to get Edel's Ice, which is totally worth it! (killed stupid Duram-bore-os in 10mins)

Fewr

Got this coming soon for Wii U. Can't wait. I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems pretty intense, though. Is there some type of tutorial to get you started, or will I be doing lots of internet research to learn how to play the game?
Both: there is a tutorial, but even after that you will be asking a lot of questions here.

So is the 3DS version easy/good to play? I have a Wii U but I'm not around it often to justify getting it for that.
Doesn't matter. Get 3DS and I guarantee you will eventually end up buying WiiU for online play. Get Wii U and eventually you will buy 3DS to play anywhere.

Wii U is better, but 3DS very good too. I own both, but have spent much more time on 3DS because I don't have as much spare time as I used to when I was a student.

New hunter here, just thought I'd share my experience so far:

Two of my closest friends have been playing Monster Hunter for years, starting with the PSP games. They always tried to get me in on it, but I never found the appeal and hated the controls. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and my buddy, who had just bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of Monster Hunter, offered to pick me up a copy and finally get me into it. I respectfully declined, uncomfortable with the idea of him spending $40 on me for a game I knew I wouldn't like.

Well he did it any way, and within hours of killing Kelbi and Jaggi, I was actually finding the game pretty fun. He took me on to hunt Royal Ludroth, a fight during which I did absolutely nothing but float about in the water trying to make heads or tales of that shit (I still fucking hate it) but generally impressed with how much fun I was having when I got a hit or two in. Fast forward a couple days and I've worked up the nerve to finally take on Great Jaggi, which takes me for goddamn ever to whittle down because I'm still using the default sword and shield. Fast forward another few days and I've begun to learn hammer (still using it) by fighting Arzuros, who then became my spirit monster because of the number of times I fought and capped him. He's still one of my favorite fights, even though he's so piss easy, just because of how much I learned on him.

It's now been about two weeks and I'm just under 30 hours in. Rocking Wroggi gear (I am the goddamn Hombre) and just ditched my Carapace Hammer for a Vortex Hammer that I intend on upgrading to a Vortex+ today after I lucked out a Lagi cap mission and got his plate. I'm in 5* of LR Moga quests, currently fighting lots of Rathian, Lagi, and similar monsters. Me and my two bros are working our way through all the Tavern quests, and I just made the Azi Dahaka for Paralysis in group play. We're going to get together tonight and hunt it the fuck up. Last time we did Lagi, Rathalos, Uragaan, Nibblesnarf, Baritoth, and Giggi, and it was so goddamn much fun.

I get it, you guys. I finally get it. Monster Hunter kicks so much ass. Honstly, I've played most of this year's biggest releases, like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, and Crysis, and though I enjoyed each of them, Monster Hunter pulls ahead of them all by quite a margin. It's just pure distilled fun. Nothing in those games is nearly as satisfying as getting my ass kicked by a Lagiacrus over and over again, and when nearly at the brink of quitting, I not only cap his ass, but break his horn, and get a fucking Plate. Triumph. Pure and utter triumph.
That is a good story, I like how you went from fighting Great Jaggis with the starting sword and shield, to crafting different hammers.

As a beginner of the series, I've managed the 1 through 2 star beginner quests. I even fought off and killed 2 great Jaggis, which came out of nowhere while just farming.

I want to make better armor and dual swords - but I have no idea what or how to find what I need.

I'm thinking of the ludroth blades, but I still need some aqua sacs and stuff....

Sigh.

Everyone is making all of this awesome stuff, at least in this thread, but I can't even begin to make anything better than the bone scythes :0(

Help?

Edit:

Playing 3DS, made it to the flooded forest last night.

Even stuff like this, had no idea guild armor existed until that post :0(

I haven't talked to many NPCs outside Moga though
The cycle usually is: kill a new monster once, then go see the old man who crafts weapons for you and you'll notice there are a couple of new pieces of armor (even with a blinking NEW sign on them). Kill the monster a few more times, and as you get materials the rest of the pieces start showing up.

Go to the monster hunter wiki, take a look at the gamefaqs guide, or search a few pages back for a windows program that shows how to craft anything, what materials you get from which monsters, etc. I remember aqua sacs to be a common drop from royal ludroth, so just kill the thing a few more times.

Weird description. Rathian and Rathalos have bat-like wings, and it's the tail that's venomous. They're classic style wyverns. Four limbed dragons with a scorpion sting in the tail.

Edit: Though an actual dragon/moth type creature would make an interesting monster. Mothra in Monster Hunter anyone?
I also think it's got moth wings.

Fewr

I don't know if this makes sense, but I think Monster Hunter is a modern-day NES game.
To me this is:

Fighting Game + Mega Man + Roguelike + (something where you craft stuff, can't pin down what yet)

Fighting Game: every move counts, you have to know what to do and when
Mega Man: (mostly) isolated fights against one enemy where you can use your equipment to help you, but you can also win without it
Roguelike: You gain experience by playing the game, a newcomer using your advanced savefile wouldn't know what to do, and would probably die in any fight.

For anyone who wants to know if it's worth it to buy a Wii U for this game, I actually worked it out! I'm, say, halfway through the game's content, SP wise, and am only HR7 on the port. I'll say that, for argument's sake, I'm about halfway through a theoretical lifetime of this game. If I were to have bought a Wii U, Premium set, just for this game, my current 107 hours puts me at about $3.78 per hour of enjoyment. Pretty good, right? Let's look at another popular game right now, Bioshock Infinite. Playthroughs are apparently in the 10 hour range, so at $60 that puts Bioshock at a whopping $6 per hour!

That's right, it's a financially smarter idea to buy an entire system and a game, than it is to buy a game.
Suck it, logic!

Duramboros down with 2 minutes left!

Oh Yes!!

wait u r no Cha Cha Kayamba
LLShC.gif

wait reading this stuff is funny who is this smartass calling minion?

Two and a half hours of work and i now have a Gigginox X set with awaken and status +2 and a maxed out purple sharpness lucent narga longsword with 50 affinity. Lovin that crit flash.

I then gemmed in Evade +2.

OMG WHERE THE FUCK HAS EVADE +2 BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE!?!?!

Made Lucent narga a breeze. Cant wait to turtle under monsters and roll through more roars.

It makes the 3 hours i spent building that bnabra set a few days ago seem so pointless. But damn does it look fancy.

ultron87

Argh, this break the Caedus horns quest sucks. Of course they only give you 35 minutes for the first time ever on this one. Can't even keep up with his head to hit the horns reliably at all.

Tenbatsu

Two and a half hours of work and i now have a Gigginox X set with awaken and status +2 and a maxed out purple sharpness lucent narga longsword with 50 affinity. Lovin that crit flash.

OMG WHERE THE FUCK HAS EVADE +2 BEEN IN MY LIFE!?!?!

Made Lucent narga a breeze. Cant wait to turtle under monsters and roll through more roars.
Awaken? Try the diablos lance ;)

Argh, this break the Caedus horns quest sucks. Of course they only give you 35 minutes for the first time ever on this one. Can't even keep up with his head to hit the horns reliably at all.

I have no idea why they reduced the time. It was a stupid miserable thing to do.
They make it so you have to do it twice then make you go all the way back across the biggest map yet.

So out of tone with the rest of the game.

Fewr

I just did this and I think it was SUPER BORING.

I went in, got rid of beard, then hit it a few more times, then on third map chopped off the horns, then ran out of time. Went back in and finished the job in about 10 mins.

I don't want to go back to that. I don't like underwater stuff.

What type of weapon do you have?

I main with GS and positioned myself on his forehead so that everytime i bounced or he moved i kept getting pushed and remained in range for my next bounce hit.

Also, i think breaking the beard will still give you a repel victory.

It wouldn't work because armor skills on Tri sets have been changed.

Even so, I'm enjoying the climb back to the top.

I don't know if this makes sense, but I think Monster Hunter is a modern-day NES game.
It's basically the first game to ever get 3D combat right outside of twitch games like DMC.

Well, after doing lots of quests on the side, I finally face off against Zinogre. Aww look it's rolling over why am i dead

Zinogre is the best monster I've seen so far. Awesome attacks (especially when SUMMONING LIGHTNING THROUGH HOWLS), good theme... the only thing is that he's a little bit short-range-teleporty all the time. Aside from that, best fight ever.

burgerdog

It wouldn't work because armor skills on Tri sets have been changed.

Even so, I'm enjoying the climb back to the top.

It's basically the first game to ever get 3D combat right outside of twitch games like DMC.

The armor skills would adjust when transferred over, it's been done before so it's not impossible.

Beats

OMG WHERE THE FUCK HAS EVADE +2 BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE!?!?!

It makes the 3 hours i spent building that bnabra set a few days ago seem so pointless. But damn does it look fancy.

Made this set as well with the +2 evasion. The armor has pretty bad fire resistance though.

Still, it's pretty damn good.

Alchemy

Gigginox is just annoying. Not hard at all, just annoying. Didn't feel like I had any spots to just lay into it, got one or two hits and AOE/Jump/Poop/Fuck. Weird collision as well, was getting shoved all over the place.

Any advice on armors to get when just starting out on G-rank? My friend and I are going through the quests just the two of us and we just got destroyed by P. Rathian.

I'm guessing Jaggi is easy to get but it doesn't seem much better than the armor we have now (upgraded Rath Soul). Selene Z seems good, but I don't know if we want to fight that many G. Ceadeus.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmm, Jho causes more trouble than I gave him credit for. He's so big that in many areas his attacks are almost unavoidable.

Still dumb tho. :p

F U C Peco.

Fistwell

I'm guessing Jaggi is easy to get but it doesn't seem much better than the armor we have now (upgraded Rath Soul). Selene Z seems good, but I don't know if we want to fight that many G. Ceadeus.
Yeah dunno about goldshower. I finally have roughly enough mats to make that set, but that's after a good 15-20 hunts spread over the last cple of weeks. I think my mind would've melted if I had had to do them all in just a sitting or two, although you can certainly do that. Personally, I just upped my jho set with heavy spheres, and that was enough to get me through miralis.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I wish I knew the monsters names lol. I'm 15 hours in and hooked. Incredible franchise. It gets to the point where it just clicks. I've got other great games to play but all I think about is monster hunter lol. I'm using twin blades and enjoying it a lot. I just beat the big bird for the first time. Looks a bit like a pelican with a fire sack under its neck. It took me ages. Not even been online yet. Scared of being useless. Are twin blades a good weapon or should I be sacking them off? I just like feeling like a ninja

Rize_21

Pfff,just like the Jhen Mohran,I've been extremely url=http://youtu.be/pp-P9oSddmA]lucky[/url] to defeat Dire Miralis,with two feintings,no potions left,and less than ten minutes to finish this...I'm preparing a Zinogre Z set with the matching bow,for help EuroGAF once they'll reach this part if there's place,but solo?never again.Tedious and unfunny battle.

So I officially fought a Bracchidios in the urgent Guild quest.
Son of a bitch was more dangerous than I thought, particularly when it's in rage mode.

Since I couldn't afford the risk of failing, I had to capture it rather than kill it.
Maybe if I make my own slime weapon, I might stand a better chance.
But other than that, I'm now HR4.

windfish

lol

Could you or anyone else tell me how much it costs in EU on eshop?

bought it at launch, i think it was 59,00€ or something like that back then, probably still is!
Can't wait to get back to euro gaf tomorrow, so much stuff on my to-do list and so much work in the last days! Will have a couple of days off next week so i can step up for NA gaf :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom