• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagitario

Got the game finally.
I already played the Wii version casually, so I consider myself a newbie still.
I always used sword+shield, but what's the best weapon to start with?

pixelpai

Neo Member
i have a question: i am not that far into the game (about 3* quests in moga village). On the Wii Version i could choose between Night and Day for the free hunt by sleeping (if i remember correctly). Has this changed? Did I miss something?

Got the game finally.

The Great Sword is a good way to start things off.
My first Monster Hunter was MH3 and I never used anythinge else other than Great Swords.
The best all-around weapon in my opinion, for starters and pros alike.

i have a question: i am not that far into the game (about 3* quests in moga village). On the Wii Version i could choose between Night and Day for the free hunt by sleeping (if i remember correctly). Has this changed? Did I miss something?

I'm at ***** Quests right now and can't change to night yet. I think you may be able to change to night once you get to the High Rank quests, so 6* and up, I guess.

Got the game finally.

I guess sword and shield are your basic starter weapons, although I hardly use them.

My opinion, but fast attacks, start with dual blades. For power, start with Switch Axe (You can switch from axe to sword).

Copenap

bought it at launch, i think it was 59,00€ or something like that back then, probably still is!
Can't wait to get back to euro gaf tomorrow, so much stuff on my to-do list and so much work in the last days! Will have a couple of days off next week so i can step up for NA gaf :)
Yeah, should be still 59€.

Thus might be a good time to ask whether there are still beginner gaffers around hr1-3? Played with some strangers so far and had great fun but I would love to play with some gaffers some time. Eu here but that won't matter after the patch anyways.

Once you go slime you are not going back.

When I see people use slime, it makes me sad. I've now decided it doesn't exist in this game. Unfortunately everyone uses it. Not to mention the dios weapons and armour dont even look like they would be from a mh game, so out of place.

Tenbatsu

Give it up, there's no way you can resist a slime.

slime7910.jpg

Rize_21

Can you receive messages from your friendlist when you play on local?or do you have to stay in an online tavern?And yup,slime weapons are for the most part overly powerful,but it's also more faster to craft than a rare 9/10 elemental/status weapon.Can't wait to get the popcorn gunlance.

RobbieNick

Finished off Duramboros on my first try! His tells are really easy, but his hide is so damn tough, it takes forever to kill him. I ran out of paintballs, but since he's a land animal, he was easy to track down when he tried to escape. I found the best place for attack is right under his belly. He can't hit me with his tail and he can't charge me down. Only side swipe.

His spin attack is deadly, but avoidable for the most part. One time he started doing the spin while I was under his belly, so I just kept under him and I managed to avoid getting hit!

Well, at least I got my distractio-I mean Kayamba. Now I just need Cha-Cha back and I can let the both of them draw all the monsters attention. Yaaay!

Damn. My Ice hammer is TOUGH! 678 damage and rarely needs sharpening. Time to kill some Ludroths and Qurupecos and get my Rez points back up.

Fistwell

Can you receive messages from your friendlist when you play on local?or do you have to stay in an online tavern?And yup,slime weapons are for the most part overly powerful,but it's also more faster to craft than a rare 9/10 elemental/status weapon.Can't wait to get the popcorn gunlance.
Gotta be online to receive in-game messages. Let's do some HR8 hunts tonight if possible. I still want that silver los set.

Yuripaw

Banned
This may be a dumb question, but can I go to an area without accepting a quest in that area? Other than the Moga Woods, I don't know how I would go to one of the other areas without accepting a quest for that area.

For instance, I want to see if I can farm some Pelagicite Ore so I can upgrade my dual blades, but they're only available in the Flooded Forest I've read online. How would I go there?

Ken

This may be a dumb question, but can I go to an area without accepting a quest in that area? Other than the Moga Woods, I don't know how I would go to one of the other areas without accepting a quest for that area.

For instance, I want to see if I can farm some Pelagicite Ore so I can upgrade my dual blades, but they're only available in the Flooded Forest I've read online. How would I go there?

it's called harvest tour

you go in, do stuff, and after x minutes (less than 5 i think) paw pass tickets show up i n your blue box. you take those and throw them into the red box when you're done doing whatever you needed to do.

protip you cant use felyne explorer on harvest tours

Peru

The Harvest Tour quests are made for this.

Fistwell

Thanks!and sure,I'll be up all night until really late.
Haha! Good to read! I'm hoping to stay on pretty late as well, but WORK IS FUCKING KILLING ME MAN! What's with all the efforts of sitting at a desk for 8hours!!! Why can't I keep my eyes open at night!?
I rack disciprine

Edit: Also, gratz on your miralis urgent, the real monhun starts here etc.

So I was facing a Zinogre as my first HR4 monster. Didn't seem like much of a problem at first. Not even when it started charging.
Then I got sloppy and arrogant and then it completely DESTROYED ME!

But damn if it's not the most badass monster in this game.

UPDATE: Got my revenge and destroyed him back!

Fistwell

this reminds me, weren't there some videos you wanted to upload? =D
(some hunts from last monday...not so sure)
O_O this aint gonna be pretty. ;~;

Are you gonna be on tonight?

A lot of people are recommending poison against Duramboros?

This list says he's most vulnerable to fire and lightning?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66788
I don't know firsthand, I haven't done the maths, but elemental versus status feels a bit like apples to oranges, difficult to compare direct damage produced by hits (which varies with hit locations) to status poison damage that's inflicted periodically. Maybe people meant he has low poison thresholds? Conversely, this spreadsheet is only roughly qualitative, more of a loose guideline rather than a comprehensive damage comparison chart.

Personally, I try to get in his face with a fire lance and stay on his horns as much as possible. They require some decent sharpness though. People say you need to burst his back pimples but I can't seem to make him fall on his ass much.

windfish

O_O this aint gonna be pretty. ;~;

Are you gonna be on tonight?

I wish i could join you guys tonight but unfortunetly this will not happen, got lots of stuff to do today, silver los sounds like more fun thats for sure :/
Anyway i will be on from early saturday and guess i'll will have plenty of time from there on!
Miralis better watch his ass this weekend :D

What bow did you use? Most low rank bows kind of suck until you can craft a Queen Blaster I, that bow has bonus poison, focus arc shot and spread level 3 (most bows stop at level 2 or have mediocre stuff like pierce), it's amazing. Seriously when a monster is weak to poison I can usually poison them 3 times in a row without any issue, then para/bomb them, and usually it only takes about 5 minutes to finish them. Most monster take me around 10 min to kill, I barely get hit and I usually get all the breaks. Bows are really awesome.

Just comparing the defaults. I had a much easier time with the bowguns although I did suspect the starting bow was kind of ass. I'm only 5 hours in on my gunner alt so I'm going off of initial impressions

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
bought it at launch, i think it was 59,00€ or something like that back then, probably still is!
Can't wait to get back to euro gaf tomorrow, so much stuff on my to-do list and so much work in the last days! Will have a couple of days off next week so i can step up for NA gaf :)

~60€
Also I'm still happy to see just how popular this game seems to be.
It's awesome and for me it's WAY more addicting than any MMORPG out there.
Planning how to and slay/capture monsters is so much fun.

Ok. Then I think I better get the physical copy in advance (cheaper where I live). Hopefully the console will be delivered whis week-end, and I can play some with you guys! :)

Trying to get the Worn Hammer since it looks badass once fully upgraded. Farming the volcano for it is boring, though. Oh well, hope I get it soon. Also getting some decent charms along the way.

Fistwell

I wish i could join you guys tonight but unfortunetly this will not happen, got lots of stuff to do today, silver los sounds like more fun thats for sure :/
Anyway i will be on from early saturday and guess i'll will have plenty of time from there on!
Miralis better watch his ass this weekend :D
Sounds good, I'll be around tomorrow as well.

I hunted a Gigginox yesterday all by myself and I have to say it is a dreadful experience, no wonder why people hate it so much. I even had to get out of my way to craft gems for negating poison and combine with a +5 poison accessory because not even going there with full antidotes could do the job. Even with food buffs it took almost half an hour because the fucker will not stay still or leave an opening almost at all, and when it goes enraged your best bet is waiting for it to calm down because there is almost no way to hit it safely.
Lemme tell you about this new monster they have for monhun4, his name is khezu and you're gonna loooooove him. ;)

beje

Banned
I hunted a Gigginox yesterday all by myself and I have to say it is a dreadful experience, no wonder why people hate it so much. I even had to get out of my way to craft gems for negating poison and combine with a +5 poison accessory because not even going there with full antidotes could do the job. Even with food buffs it took almost half an hour because the fucker will not stay still or leave an opening almost at all, and when it goes enraged your best bet is waiting for it to calm down because there is almost no way to hit it safely.

I started playing last night again after having taken a few days off. I fought my first high rank Rathalos online and got a ruby in the rewards (los has been good to me with the rare drops). I decided today to start adding some lances to my arsenal and I got a Rusted Lance from a Rustshard I got in the rewards after defeating a Diablos, it's now an Undertaker.

It was a good day in the world of Monster Hunter.

I bought an official Wii LAN adapter from Nintendo's store, thinking it might be faster than WiFi, but it turns out it's actually slower than WiFi. I did a few tests on testmy.net and I got 8.5 Mbps with Wifi and 4 to 5.1 Mbps with a wired connection. Also, I got 43.2 Mbps on my PC. Apparently, the Wii U has a pretty low bandwidth cap on it. Oh well, it was only $25 and I can use it for playing the 3DS version online too, if I want to do that for some reason.

Raide

After a few days off, I am now thinking about trying to beat Brachy. Failed 5 times in a row and turned it off in frustration. Bow users currently with standard R.Ludroth armor but the Water attack +2 and using the Amethyst Gear bow. I just cannot seem to beat him in time or he just batters me hard.

Wondering if I should farm a bit and upgrade the R.Ludroth set or if there is something a bit more suitable I should use.

ryz

I'm currently doing HR 8* village quests and the argosy captain seems to stay at the village? Just did a quest (successfully) but it still says "4d left"

After a few days off, I am now thinking about trying to beat Brachy. Failed 5 times in a row and turned it off in frustration. Bow users currently with standard R.Ludroth armor but the Water attack +2 and using the Amethyst Gear bow. I just cannot seem to beat him in time or he just batters me hard.

Wondering if I should farm a bit and upgrade the R.Ludroth set or if there is something a bit more suitable I should use.

If your problem is that you're taking too much damage, get a new gear set with higher armor and more HP. Ludroth is like one star tier lower than Brachydios offline, you should probably get some gear from the tier he's on.

Raide

If your problem is that you're taking too much damage, get a new gear set with higher armor and more HP. Ludroth is like one star tier lower than Brachydios offline, you should probably get some gear from the tier he's on.

Yeah, I tend to take a hit or two and I start to panic. He is so random, even though I manage to avoid most attacks, he always gets me in rage mode. :D

Any ideas on what set I should go for as a Bow users? Seems to be a way harder choice than for the Blademasters.

Yeah, I tend to take a hit or two and I start to panic. He is so random, even though I manage to avoid most attacks, he always gets me in rage mode. :D

Any ideas on what set I should go for as a Bow users? Seems to be a way harder choice than for the Blademasters.

I think Lagiacrus+ armor and a Plesioth weapon looks pretty good for that fight.

Trying to get the Worn Hammer since it looks badass once fully upgraded. Farming the volcano for it is boring, though. Oh well, hope I get it soon. Also getting some decent charms along the way.

One hour later... I got it. Now I need to come up with some Earth Crystals. I also picked up the Worn Lance and Dual Blades from this run.

Fistwell

He used to terrify me the first cple of times I tackled him, and then again in G rank. I remember duo-ing him online in high rank and again in G rank with gegz. I could very clearly feel my heart rate accelerating, had trouble breathing regularly, and my hands suddenly started dripping with sweat. The rage jumping+explosions was so chaotic and random and lethal.

Eventually, he just becomes another monster which you read easily. Get better armor and stick with it, you'll figure him out. Or get online and hunt him with a group, takes a lot of pressure off and helps in looking at him and understanding how he telegraphs what moves. But yeah, he's kind of a doozy at first.

One hour later... I got it. Now I need to come up with some Earth Crystals. I also picked up the Worn Lance and Dual Blades from this run.
Good deal. Spent part of my evening farming low rank volcano for earth crystals yesterday, managed to upgrade epitaph to the max. Wish I had also gotten the worn lance though, instead I have a crummy, silly looking gunlance.

Raide

where is this screen? I have never seen my weapons on a screen like that
what buttons would show this?

When you check item list, press X I think for more Details.

He used to terrify me the first cple of times I tackled him, and then again in G rank. I remember duo-ing him online in high rank and again in G rank with gegz. I could very clearly feel my heart beat accelerating, had trouble breathing regularly, and my hands suddenly started dripping with sweat. The rage jumping+explosions was so chaotic and random and lethal.

Eventually, he just becomes another monster which you read easily. Get better armor and stick with it, you'll figure him out. Or get online and hunt him with a group, takes a lot of pressure off and helps in looking at him and understanding how he telegraphs what moves. But yeah, he's kind of a doozy at first.

The quick-lick and dive punch got me so many times, as well as the dodge punch and follow-up swing that he does. Very creative and annoying fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom