• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beje

Banned
Now that I remember... as soon as I reached HR3 yesterday they gave me advanced armour spheres, are they worth to use on my low rank equipment or should I better wait to have something high rank crafted?

Fistwell

The quick.lick and dive punch got me so many times, as well as the dodge punch and follow-up swing that he does. Very creative and annoying fight!
Yeah his moves are different from what the game has you used to at that point. I could borderline navigate around a rathian with my eyes closed, but he certainly spiced things up a little. Enjoy it!!!

Raide

Now that I remember... as soon as I reached HR3 yesterday they gave me advanced armour spheres, are they worth to use it on my low rank equipment or should I better wait to have something high rank crafted?

You will probably find you have to use Heavy and Hard spheres as the HR armor kicks in.

Now that I remember... as soon as I reached HR3 yesterday they gave me advanced armour spheres, are they worth to use on my low rank equipment or should I better wait to have something high rank crafted?

Use them as soon as you get them. Keep playing and the next tier of spheres should show up in the next star ranking

Good deal. Spent part of my evening farming low rank volcano for earth crystals yesterday, managed to upgrade epitaph to the max. Wish I had also gotten the worn lance though, instead I have a crummy, silly looking gunlance.

Best place to get Earth Crystals is at the low rank Tundra, I believe. I get anywhere between 13-18 per run with Gathering +2 armor.

Chuckpebble

This may be a dumb question, but can I go to an area without accepting a quest in that area? Other than the Moga Woods, I don't know how I would go to one of the other areas without accepting a quest for that area.

For instance, I want to see if I can farm some Pelagicite Ore so I can upgrade my dual blades, but they're only available in the Flooded Forest I've read online. How would I go there?

This was answered a few times, but I just wanted to share another cool tip about harvest tours. I go to these with minimal items, usually a stack of picks, bug nets and whetstones, and even then I usually have a completely full item pouch by the time I'm done. In Tri this was a pain in the arse because you'd have to go through your stuff and discard something in order to take the paw pass ticket out of the blue box and put it into the red box.

No more!

You see, there are items you can collect that are called account items. These are things that you never get to take back from the quest, they're always converted to zenni for you upon quest completion. In this game, you can go to the red box at any time during the quest and convert those items to zenni, freeing up inventory so that you can go gather more stuff, or in this case, get the paw pass ticket without losing anything.

Rize_21

this reminds me, weren't there some videos you wanted to upload? =D
(some hunts from last monday...not so sure)
Yep!I'll edit it this afternoon after work,morning week's work is my nemesis.:'( The Uragaan x Rathalos hunt was really nice!
While we are talking about the ancient weapons,I've got the lance and gunlance(Obelisk,so beautiful and charming,it'll be the grave of the elder dragons),but it requires something like 8 relic dragonbones...

Can you actually get Lagia Plates from LR Village? I remember there was some BS in MHFU where it was actually impossible to get Plates and something else (Marrow?) from LR Elder Rathalos.

ramyeon

Yeah, I tend to take a hit or two and I start to panic. He is so random, even though I manage to avoid most attacks, he always gets me in rage mode. :D

Any ideas on what set I should go for as a Bow users? Seems to be a way harder choice than for the Blademasters.
He's really not random even though he appears so. I farmed him a lot with random groups online and people ALWAYS died when he was in rage because they got careless. You really need to change your method towards the monster when they become enraged, and in Brachy's case I find it better to become a little bit more passive and hold back a bit more. He leaves gaps and takes breaks between attacks where you can get two or three hits in, but if you're constantly aggressive with him he can destroy you.

DaBoss

So I officially fought a Bracchidios in the urgent Guild quest.
Son of a bitch was more dangerous than I thought, particularly when it's in rage mode.

Since I couldn't afford the risk of failing, I had to capture it rather than kill it.
Maybe if I make my own slime weapon, I might stand a better chance.
But other than that, I'm now HR4.

Use a water weapon.

Once you go slime you are not going back.

Really? I just don't find slime explosions occur often to be worth it.

Raide

He's really not random even though he appears so. I farmed him a lot with random groups online and people ALWAYS died when he was in rage because they got careless. You really need to change your method towards the monster when they become enraged, and in Brachy's case I find it better to become a little bit more passive and hold back a bit more. He leaves gaps and takes breaks between attacks where you can get two or three hits in, but if you're constantly aggressive with him he can destroy you.

That might be my main issue. When he Rages, I start to panic a bit more. I think it must be the thought that the time is ticking down so I have to do some more damage and he sucker punches me. :D

ramyeon

That might be my main issue. When he Rages, I start to panic a bit more. I think it must be the thought that the time is ticking down so I have to do some more damage and he sucker punches me. :D
Yeah, that's not a good idea haha. There's a whole 50 minutes, more than enough time.

Can you actually get Lagia Plates from LR Village? I remember there was some BS in MHFU where it was actually impossible to get Plates and something else (Marrow?) from LR Elder Rathalos.

You can but, but it's more BS that you can.

Plates were high rank drops only, very rare and only used to forge "+" armour, or high rarity weapons.

Now it's just like, plates, plates everywhere.

DaBoss

Slime is good with groups, but going solo you might want to look into elemental weapons for damage multipliers at certain monster hit zones.

Kinda thought that. Only times I use it are Mark of a Hero and Diablos (easy to break horns).

May use it for The Brilliant Darkness.

You can but, but it's more BS that you can.

Plates were high rank drops only, very rare and only used to forge "+" armour, or high rarity weapons.

Now it's just like, plates, plates everywhere.

Sapphires take its place.

ryz

After using it for the last twenty fights or so, Capture Guru might be the single best skill in the whole game. Knowing exactly when a monster can be capped (which often is AGES before it begins to limp) has won me many matches and saved me many lives!

Fistwell

After using it for the last twenty fights or so, Capture Guru might be the single best skill in the whole game. Knowing exactly when a monster can be capped (which often is AGES before it begins to limp) has won me many matches and saved me many lives!
Yeah it's super convenient. I always feel a little dirty equipping it, I could slot something sexier instead. But it's soooo comfortable, and it's saved me from several potentially catastrophic endings...

I had that skill before, but I don't know what to look for when it says its ready, and ended up killing anyway.

ryz

Yeah it's super convenient. I always feel a little dirty equipping it, I could slot something sexier instead. But it's soooo comfortable, and it's saved me from several potentially catastrophic endings...

Yeah, me too! :D Currently wearing the Los set and a +6 perception talisman, with 2x +2 perception gemmed. Works great for me!

I had that skill before, but I don't know what to look for when it says its ready, and ended up killing anyway.

It has to be painted, then it's map icon will flash/blink.

DaBoss

I feel Capture Guru is waste for normal quests since I can wait for it to limp, and sometimes I don't even do that! For Arena quests though, it is useful as hell.

Neki

Just repelled Jhen Mohran, I have no idea how someone could kill him, I always run out of cannon balls and ballistic ammo. I break the two weak areas on his back and his horn but I couldn't kill him.

Just repelled Jhen Mohran, I have no idea how someone could kill him, I always run out of cannon balls and ballistic ammo. I break the two weak areas on his back and his horn but I couldn't kill him.

Are you jumping on his back mid fight and using your weapon to destroy his back?

Similarly are you using dragonnater, and when all else fails hitting his feet with your wep during finalshowdown.

Neki

Are you jumping on his back mid fight and using your weapon to destroy his back?

Similarly are you using dragonnater, and when all else fails hitting his feet with your wep during finalshowdown.

Yeah I destroy his back, I'm not sure when to use the dragonator in phase 2 though, he's really never near that side of the ship. I try might saving all my cannon ammo to hit him close up in phase 2 maybe.

Fistwell

Yeah I destroy his back, I'm not sure when to use the dragonator in phase 2 though, he's really never near that side of the ship.
He just needs to be near the ship. The dragonator is rotated 90deg counterclockwise in between phases. If you don't use the dragonator twice, it's not surprising you're having a hard time.

Haha, I'm getting tons of hammer from ancient shards, I know someone who would want those ^^
Gee I don't even know who you're talking about, that's... odd. I want a lance myself.

Haunted

I need to unlock G-Rank Volcano. Tired of fighting monsters, I want to do some harvest runs, but nothing's worth it like Volcano >_>

Good job!

With him and Ceadeus, it's basically a dps race. So it'll definitely depend on how upgraded your weapon is.

General second phase tips: if you manage to time the gong and draginator correctly (do it when he rises up to come down on the ship hard), he flops over on his back/opens his mouth and you can exploit that to do a bit more damage. If you do it solo, you're going to run out of ammo eventually. It's straight up dps, I didn't manage to kill him until I got my Dios Gunlance+.

ramyeon

Yeah I destroy his back, I'm not sure when to use the dragonator in phase 2 though, he's really never near that side of the ship. I try might saving all my cannon ammo to hit him close up in phase 2 maybe.
You need to use it first in phase one. It's at the bow of the ship and at one point he'll disappear and approach the ship front on. You need to use it at that time.

Also in phase 2 it's on the left hand side of the ship, when he gets close use it. The dragonnater is crucial when taking him on solo I find. In multi depending who you play with you may or may not need it.

Also the cannon/ballista ammo restocks between phase 1 and 2.

Sanctuary

So, I'm finally giving MH a go, and I like it...sort of. I already knew that the combat was different, but it feels so utterly sloppy, not so much deliberate. Most of the weapons do paper-thin vertical strikes that monsters love to skateboard through as soon as you press a button; and take an hour to swing. The only way to hit anything it seems is by coming around to their side just to have a barn to hit. Even when you get used to the clunky combat and utterly awful camera, then there's the underwater combat; which is almost hair-pullingly bad since it just takes the already bad land combat and makes everything way worse. I understand the appeal of the game, but it shouldn't feel like you're spending too much time fighting the mechanics.

Fewr

This was answered a few times, but I just wanted to share another cool tip about harvest tours. I go to these with minimal items, usually a stack of picks, bug nets and whetstones, and even then I usually have a completely full item pouch by the time I'm done. In Tri this was a pain in the arse because you'd have to go through your stuff and discard something in order to take the paw pass ticket out of the blue box and put it into the red box.

No more!

You see, there are items you can collect that are called account items. These are things that you never get to take back from the quest, they're always converted to zenni for you upon quest completion. In this game, you can go to the red box at any time during the quest and convert those items to zenni, freeing up inventory so that you can go gather more stuff, or in this case, get the paw pass ticket without losing anything.
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.

Vibed

So, I'm finally giving MH a go, and I like it...sort of. I already knew that the combat was different, but it feels so utterly sloppy, not so much deliberate. Most of the weapons do paper-thin vertical strikes that monsters love to skateboard through as soon as you press a button; and take an hour to swing. The only way to hit anything it seems is by coming around to their side just to have a barn to hit. Even when you get used to the clunky combat and utterly awful camera, then there's the underwater combat; which is almost hair-pullingly bad since it just takes the already bad land combat and makes everything way worse. I understand the appeal of the game, but it shouldn't feel like you're spending too much time fighting the mechanics.

I'm not so sure you understand the appeal when you find a big part of it -the combat- clunky.

Most definitely agree underwater combat is pretty obtuse though in comparison.

Fistwell

I feel Capture Guru is waste for normal quests since I can wait for it to limp, and sometimes I don't even do that!
It's a boon when duo-ing some of the G rank monsters. For easy ones, it's essentially worthless, but when duo-ing G rank dual-brachy undergeared, it's a godsend. Or at least was for me time and again.

Mupod

It's an awesome skill early on when you're learning, but I've actually got kind of a sixth sense for capturing at this point. I just know...usually. Unless I'm fighting something super fragile like Arzuros I don't bother with capture guru even though I have a +10 talisman for it. Hell even then I know when the Great Jaggis with no hp in the g-rank 4 monster quest are ready, people don't always stop attacking when I tell them to though.

Mupod

Why would you want to capture Arzuros.

Narga gloves needed like 5 or 6 fucking allbraces. I don't remember ever carving one so I figured I'd capture.

I think there's a village quest for capturing too.

for g-rank Great Jaggi: fey wyvern gems and imperial frills. Carnivore gems need 2 goddamn frills each!

I don't actually know if these are the best methods for getting these items but you know whatever it's not like capturing is hard or I have anywhere near limited resources at this point.

Lyonaz

Last few days I had been farming Gigginox for my batgirl gunner set, stupid fearsome maw wouldn't drop. Hunted a few monsters with it and the Queen Blaster I, love the bow, but Lagiacrus schooled me, made a Rathian blademaster set and did the Vulcano powderstone quest. Saw Jay Leno and fought him too, won and delivered the 2 stones. Good times!

Now I need to fight Duramboros or something. Looking forward to it. Also I kinda want to make that Uragaan set too and the Lagiacrus Longsword. I keep getting distracted with wanting new gear and weapon sets.

Long and fun weekend ahead.

Fistwell

Long and fun weekend ahead.
Yep. Weekend objectives:

- craft another stinking set of armor beside nargaX, just sick of staring at it at this point, something with sharpness+1 would be nice,
- craft miralis LS,
- craft non-shitty lance.

Helios X - the challenge will be staying awake while fighting 500 Ceadeuses for that 12 gold fur and 5 regular fur
It must be nice to have an olympic swimming pool filled to the brim with earth dragongems.

Another Uragaan Pallium so I can make the Meltrovone, I can make it now but Grongigas takes priority
Are those HHs? It's like you're speaking another language! :D

Find a +5 handicraft charm (hahahaha kill me)
Haaahahaa!
wish I had one!!! It's nice to want things!!!!!!! ;_;

Mupod

Yep. Weekend objectives:

- craft another stinking set of armor beside nargaX, just sick of staring at it at this point, something with sharpness+1 would be nice,
- craft miralis LS,
- craft non-shitty lance.

My current goals:

Helios X - the challenge will be staying awake while fighting 500 Ceadeuses for that 12 gold fur and 5 regular fur
Another Uragaan Pallium so I can make the Meltrovone, I can make it now but Grongigas takes priority
Find a +5 handicraft charm (hahahaha kill me)
Beat up G Joe a couple times for dem gloves
Get the rest of HR6 GAF to HR7

not worried about unlocking Miralis yet, when it happens it'll happen.

edit: I also want a GS set. I presume I'll need to fight a lot of Diablos. I want the Diablos GS for old times' sake even if there's a better one out there.

For me, the most fun I have out of MonHun is the journey to the top. Once at the top, there's not much else to do after having completed my list of desired gear. It's one of those games I wish I could experience again for the first time, and having to restart from level 0 is as close as I'll ever get to that.

Lol, yeah, but "the top" is more along the lines of 400 hours than 100... 100 hours only really covers that period of the game where everything still kind of sucks, it starts getting good at that point.

DaBoss

It's a boon when duo-ing some of the G rank monsters. For easy ones, it's essentially worthless, but when duo-ing G rank dual-brachy undergeared, it's a godsend. Or at least was for me time and again.

Ahh that makes sense. I haven't gotten there yet. I just use Brachydeios' broken parts to indicate when I can capture (I break it's head and pounders and maybe cut its tail off).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom