• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current goals:

Helios X - the challenge will be staying awake while fighting 500 Ceadeuses for that 12 gold fur and 5 regular fur
Another Uragaan Pallium so I can make the Meltrovone, I can make it now but Grongigas takes priority
Find a +5 handicraft charm (hahahaha kill me)
Beat up G Joe a couple times for dem gloves
Get the rest of HR6 GAF to HR7

not worried about unlocking Miralis yet, when it happens it'll happen.

edit: I also want a GS set. I presume I'll need to fight a lot of Diablos. I want the Diablos GS for old times' sake even if there's a better one out there.

I think I'm fairly close to that, actually, so I'll be on later so I can bump up and keep playing with you guys.

DaBoss

lolwut? I can see the Alatreon Hammer even though I haven't even faced Alatreon yet lol. Just need to get Black Diablos' Blackcurl Horn.

explodet

Recent hunts:

Sand Barioth ain't no thang.

Azure Rathalos was slightly more annoying, but fully upgraded Wroggi S (strong against Fire, Dragon and immune to poison) meant we took less damage than usual. Jho ended up showing up and eating the capped los. Gross.

Glacial Agnaktor was fun. Too much weapon bouncing even with blue sharpness, but managed to get out without getting my ass ice lasered too much.

Black Diablos is such a weird fight. Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive... and every time we end up accidentally killing her.

Gold Ceadeus wasn't terribly exciting, but I still like it better than Duramboros. I'm sure that'll change once I have to do it again for my HR6.

Mupod

I like the Selene armour sets, but farming Ceadeus is beyond my tolerance.

I wonder if an overpowered HBG would make it go faster. I've seen people obliterate Jhen like that, and I have the ancient shard LBG and HBGs available. The basic versions at least.

I mean the main thing I hate about him is getting slapped around because he's so fat and underwater combat is awkward to begin with. If I can just hold down crouching fire for 10 minutes instead then hey cool.

Hoodbury

Had a good night of farming Blos and black Blos. Ended up with 1 hard horn so I guess that's pretty good. Just need one more then I'm off to farming Ceadus. :(

DaBoss

Here are the awards I have so far.

guildcardawardsccs3i.jpg

I'm as new and as low-level as they come, but I was curious last night so I went online and ended up hunting my first large monster (alone...still not sure how online even works) and LORD did I get my ass beaten. I don't even remember the name but it was the monster that digs underground and moves to other areas of the map quite frequently.

I really have a LOT to learn. I've been finding myself playing Black Ops 2 instead of this just because of how daunting everything seems. I'll figure it all out eventually, though!

Peru

I'm as new and as low-level as they come, but I was curious last night so I went online and ended up hunting my first large monster (alone...still not sure how online even works) and LORD did I get my ass beaten. I don't even remember the name but it was the monster that digs underground and moves to other areas of the map quite frequently.

I really have a LOT to learn. I've been finding myself playing Black Ops 2 instead of this just because of how daunting everything seems. I'll figure it all out eventually, though!

Your first large monster should definitely be in the village with the village quests. The solo-able 'online' quests feature harder monsters (even when they're the 'same' monster, but you were fighting a monster that's fundamentally harder anyway).

Work your way to your first monster hunt in the village and you'll find a much more accessible fight.

Kyzon

Barroth? Did he have a large forehead where he rammed into you alot? Anyways, try doing the Village Quests until you fight at least the Quarupeco, and then try going back into online. Orrrr join a group online. Talk to Neko, and go to NETWORK. Multi isn't online, then join a world (maybe beginners?). After that, join a lobby with a bunch of people, go to Enter Room, then choose one, and you'll usually be playing with new people, or those who are just down there helping new people.

Diff Subject: So I'm wishing I had capture equipment for watching my GF play this. I brought her through HR 1 and she killed every single monster, AKA got the last hit as they ran away from me. In the Village she just took down the Peco (took 40 minutes), and she still doesn't have a weapon with more than yellow sharpness. Idk how she goes on with her in game life using that weapon. XD Anyways, her reactions are hilarious in this game. "Ahhhhhh, what is that? Fuck it, I'm just going to fail, I won't fight that. It's all vagina!" In response to Giginox.

Jaruru

QUESTION!!!

I have the resource to upgrade this particular Hunting Horn to the next stage, but the stats are totally different, should I do it? which is more practical? or should I make 2 horns: one at advance stage / one at current stage???

current (Coral Chordmaker+): Negate Stamina Use (L) <--- very important for DS or some players?
next (Gold Chordmaker): Abnormal Status Attack Boost, Abnormal Statuses Negated, Diving Protection <--- not too sure about the Diving, but other two look yummy :O

Does this situation happen to other weapons? or most other weapon type upgrades are just stats boosts in the same category?

Neogaf_MH3U_130412_CoralChordmakerPlus_GoldChordmaker.jpg

burgerdog

So a while back, someone posted that this is the best LS set(by the japanese.)

Longsword

selene z helm /focus gem OOO
narga x mail /hearing gem O
narga z arms /evade gem OO
selene z coil /polishing gem OOO
seene x greaves /evade gem O
talisman[1]: handicraft+5 /polishing gem O
Weapon[1]: /polishing gem

gives earplugs, sharpness+1, focus, evade+1, fast sharpening.

Here are the skill points without gems:
Handicraft: +12
Hearing: +9
Evasion: +6
Focus: +3
Fast Sharpening: +0

Now let's add up the gems:
Hearing: +10
Evasion: +10
Focus: +6
Fast Sharpening: +10

That's four short of actually having focus. I wish I would have done the math before actually setting out to build the set. I am disappointed, especially because I had to farm that mega boring Gold Ceadeus. Not cool at all.

Tragic.

Lokbob

Some enemys in G Rank are just bullshit, Black Diablos for example - he knocks you down takes 60% life and attacks again without any chance to dodge or block.
He absolutely destroys Rangers once he gets a random hit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamn.

This monster hunter hole I'm falling into is terrifyingly deep. D:

Gotta say though, I'm starting to feel the grind. Having to do the same quests again and again just to get, for example, Monster Bones L, would be pretty tedious and boring if the combat wasn't super duper fun. Which it is, so I forgive that part a little bit.

Also I have no idea what some of the stats mean. Whim? Psychic? C.target or whatever? Is there a table that lists what everything does?

RMI

Banned

do the Moga village quests. It sounds like you went to fight Barroth. He's not hard, really, but you are probably woefully inexperienced and unprepared. Just do the Moga village quests for now, the Tanzia quests are way tougher.

On a side note, God damn if I am not sick of hunting Lagiacrus. I made the Thunderclap sword and Lagiacrus set, and now to upgrade to Thunderclap+ I need 3 more goddamned horns? It's already a pain to break his head and even after capturing there's no guarantee of horns. HATE HATE HATE.

love this game.

Goddamn.

This monster hunter hole I'm falling into is terrifyingly deep. D:

Gotta say though, I'm starting to feel the grind. Having to do the same quests again and again just to get, for example Monster Bones L, would be pretty tedious and boring if the combat wasn't super duper fun. Which it is, so I forgive that part a little bit.

Also I have no idea what some of the stats mean. Whim? Psychic? C.target or whatever? Is there a table that lists what everything does?
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Armor_Skill_List

Unicorn

Dear lord Brachydios was incredibly difficult.

Pretty soon I can upgrade my butterfly bow. Seeing it destroy the Rath couple let's me see the light of having a stock of elemental bows.

Can I get Rathalos Webbing from low rank?
What is another great elemental bow that's pretty versatile. I'd ideally like to only have about 3 main bows. The Lightning butterfly bow is really great, but I was thinking of other typically universal typing. Thoughts?
Are there rust or ancient bows? I've only found one rust weapon and it was a hammer. Plus, all the crap ones were everything else but bows.

Mileena

Banned
Wish I could play. Finally made the G Narga set at 1 AM last night and only got to try out one fight (though Focus on LS is seriously amazing)

Dunkelgrau

Stupid question: Is the HR important (for online gaming)?
I think offline you can only get an higher HR when you do the quests in Port Tanzia, right?

Dear lord Brachydios was incredibly difficult.

Pretty soon I can upgrade my butterfly bow. Seeing it destroy the Rath couple let's me see the light of having a stock of elemental bows.

Can I get Rathalos Webbing from low rank?
What is another great elemental bow that's pretty versatile. I'd ideally like to only have about 3 main bows. The Lightning butterfly bow is really great, but I was thinking of other typically universal typing. Thoughts?
Are there rust or ancient bows? I've only found one rust weapon and it was a hammer. Plus, all the crap ones were everything else but bows.
Carve/Drop Guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66820 (short answer: yes you can)

Ancient Shard = Arca Raptora: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66683

My first MH experience was with Tri on the Wii, and it didn't go very well. I liked the demo that came with the preorder, but once I got the actual game, various things pretty much turned me off a few hours in.

I was unsure if I wanted to get this or LM2 first with not much coming out this month. So 2 days ago I was decided to take a gamble and pick this up. If worst came to worst, I would just trade it back in.

Over 21 hours in game time later, I realize that the gamble was worth it. I don't know exactly what did it. Maybe it was playing it at a proper resolution, having the gamepad, or having a lot of time to play it right now. The point is something clicked for me. I knew I would like this series. I just didn't have a PSP back then to really try those ones. After using the gamepad, I doubt I could adapt to the claw too.

I'm glad I picked this up as I'm really loving it and I know I have barely even scratched the service. Gotta forge all those armor sets!

Narras

Longsword

That's four short of actually having focus. I wish I would have done the math before actually setting out to build the set. I am disappointed, especially because I had to farm that mega boring Gold Ceadeus. Not cool at all.

You need the Nargacuga Z mail not the X version to make this work.

Has anyone posted what the best dual swords armor set would be? I'm thinking something that would give HG earplugs, sharpness +1, razor sharp, and fast sharpening, but I don't know if such a combination is possible. Selene Z gives the first two, so maybe that as a basis would work?

ryz

I feel Capture Guru is waste for normal quests since I can wait for it to limp, and sometimes I don't even do that! For Arena quests though, it is useful as hell.

But.. Aren't capped monsters dropping more/better stuff? Why wait AND miss out on phat loot?

DaBoss

But.. Aren't capped monsters dropping more/better stuff? Why wait AND miss out on phat loot?

Yes, capping monsters is pretty much always better. I'm saying I don't find Capture Guru useful for myself since I can wait for it to limp, and other times, I don't do that and just take a lucky guess and think it is ready lol.

Seriously, why is Monster Bone L drop rate so incredibly small?

What are you trying to upgrade/make? I don't think I've needed many Monster Bone L.

Antiwhippy

What are you trying to upgrade/make? I don't think I've needed many Monster Bone L.

Ludoth splashhammer or whatever it's called.

Wish they were more generous with Barroth. :( On the upside I'm getting plenty of materials for the barroth set.

I guess I should try capturing it.

Seriously, why is Monster Bone L drop rate so incredibly small?

Depends how far in you are. A few of the 5* bosses drop them regularly. Barioth in particular.

Oh and Gunlance is badass. Need me some razor sharp coz I'm having to give it a touch up every few minutes

The Wyvern Fire blowback. So cool O_O

kidko

Ludoth splashhammer or whatever it's called.

Wish they were more generous with Barroth. :( On the upside I'm getting plenty of materials for the barroth set.

I guess I should try capturing it.

I wouldn't get super hung up on really rare drops at low rank. Just keep pushing on and you'll start getting what you need pretty easily. Save your grinding strength for the endgame, unless you're just having fun farming a certain monster!

Antiwhippy

I guess so. I've barely explored the 4 star quests and barroth is getting a little bit tedious to fight.

But monster bones L are pretty much the only material I don't have enough for it. :( Ah well.

Hoodbury

Longsword

http://mhag.info/mhtrig/main.htm

You can make sets there and see what skills they'd give. The database tab also has ones people submitted. I spend a lot of time on there during my lunch breaks making sets up and then go home and I know what my goal is.

burgerdog

You need the Nargacuga Z mail not the X version to make this work.

Ah, of course. I have the materials to make the Z mail so crisis averted, thank you.

http://mhag.info/mhtrig/main.htm

You can make sets there and see what skills they'd give. The database tab also has ones people submitted. I spend a lot of time on there during my lunch breaks making sets up and then go home and I know what my goal is.

Thanks for this, the fun begins all over again.

Wish I could play. Finally made the G Narga set at 1 AM last night and only got to try out one fight (though Focus on LS is seriously amazing)

Congrats on finally getting those Wyvern Gems. You going to be on later tonight? I'll probably be on a little later than usual around 9 or 10pm central, but I'm sure I'll be playing all night whenever I finally jump on.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So, my friend and I died several times to Lagiacrus last night trying to move on to HR2, and I wonder if anyone could give any advice. We've pretty much exhausted what we can do at HR1 by now. He's wielding Ludroth Pair and wearing most of a Barroth set, with Jaggi Chest and Shoes. I'm using the Chainslaughter and have all of a Barroth set, but with Jaggi Shoes cuz I want the Attack (M).

Is there something else we should be farming at this point? The only other thing I can think of is trying to get a Rathian Set for both of us, but the skills don't seem better than what we have right now.

Do we just suck? Lagiacrus is hard for us, cuz I feel like the LS sucks in the water, and he's just not too good at fighting underwater in general, but maybe we're just not good enough yet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, my friend and I died several times to Lagiacrus last night trying to move on to HR2, and I wonder if anyone could give any advice. We've pretty much exhausted what we can do at HR1 by now. He's wielding Ludroth Pair and wearing most of a Barroth set, with Jaggi Chest and Shoes. I'm using the Chainslaughter and have all of a Barroth set, but with Jaggi Shoes cuz I want the Attack (M).

Is there something else we should be farming at this point? The only other thing I can think of is trying to get a Rathian Set for both of us, but the skills don't seem better than what we have right now.

Do we just suck? Lagiacrus is hard for us, cuz I feel like the LS sucks in the water, and he's just not too good at fighting underwater in general, but maybe we're just not good enough yet.
Flash Bombs are really good against him if you can position and time them properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom