• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryz

Sand Barioth and Steel Uragaan were kind of a letdown. Especially S.Barioth was super easy. S.Uragaan was just a waiting game, but still easy enough.

The normal Barioth feels much harder, IMHO.

So, my friend and I died several times to Lagiacrus last night trying to move on to HR2, and I wonder if anyone could give any advice. We've pretty much exhausted what we can do at HR1 by now. He's wielding Ludroth Pair and wearing most of a Barroth set, with Jaggi Chest and Shoes. I'm using the Chainslaughter and have all of a Barroth set, but with Jaggi Shoes cuz I want the Attack (M).

Is there something else we should be farming at this point? The only other thing I can think of is trying to get a Rathian Set for both of us, but the skills don't seem better than what we have right now.

Do we just suck? Lagiacrus is hard for us, cuz I feel like the LS sucks in the water, and he's just not too good at fighting underwater in general, but maybe we're just not good enough yet.

Fire weapons.

Armour that has some lightning defense.

Be sure to have a meal and get a swimming buff or defense buff.

10 potions.
10 mega potions
10 herbs
10 blue mushrooms
10 honey

And fire weapons...can't stress this enough.

AND...yeah. You and your friend do kinda suck. I'm not trying to be a dick. This game involves sucking at various points. Pay attention. Learn the monster. Familiarity begets competence. You need to accept that at various points, you're going to get worked. Learn from it and prepare more effectively.

kidko

So, my friend and I died several times to Lagiacrus last night trying to move on to HR2, and I wonder if anyone could give any advice. We've pretty much exhausted what we can do at HR1 by now. He's wielding Ludroth Pair and wearing most of a Barroth set, with Jaggi Chest and Shoes. I'm using the Chainslaughter and have all of a Barroth set, but with Jaggi Shoes cuz I want the Attack (M).

Is there something else we should be farming at this point? The only other thing I can think of is trying to get a Rathian Set for both of us, but the skills don't seem better than what we have right now.

Do we just suck? Lagiacrus is hard for us, cuz I feel like the LS sucks in the water, and he's just not too good at fighting underwater in general, but maybe we're just not good enough yet.

Just keep at it. You'll learn his movement well enough that eventually you'll be able to reliably position yourself to beat on him underwater. Dash Juice might help you keep enough stamina to do all the fast swimming you need to keep up. Don't worry about your role in cutting the tail while underwater... I think it's far easier to go for his chest and head until he pops back up on land. The flash bombs are a good suggestion, too. Supposedly they'll make him go back on land if you get a good hit (he should be close and be able to see the flash)

RMI

Banned

long sword is not that terrible for under water, just do the 3 hit combo (overhead slash, poke, slash again) over and over until you have enough charge for your spirit combo. Maybe try a different sword? I use the Rimeblade when fighting lagiacrus, it has a little more raw power and unless you're using a fire weapon the elemental damage is wasted on lagiacrus anyway.

ryz

The LS is perfectly fine underwater, it's just a matter of preference. All monsters i fought underwater was with a LS. I did the HR1 Lagiacrus also with a Rimeblade, i think.

Told you I was coming back.

95QlkETX6VPEBpmaiYeVfpV-kwXjELG3gGD9VXtcQ1A

Also so chuffing to get a knock down without using supplies or fainting.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Fire weapons.

Armour that has some lightning defense.

Be sure to have a meal and get a swimming buff or defense buff.

10 potions.
10 mega potions
10 herbs
10 blue mushrooms
10 honey

And fire weapons...can't stress this enough.

AND...yeah. You and your friend do kinda suck. I'm not trying to be a dick. This game involves sucking at various points. Pay attention. Learn the monster. Familiarity begets competence. You need to accept that at various points, you're going to get worked. Learn from it and prepare more effectively.

Thanks for the tips. I guess we will just build out full Barroth sets and I'm not sure that there actually are any Fire Weapons that we can get at HR1 without playing offline, but I guess I'll try to see.

Yeah, I know we suck. We'll fight him down to what seems to be the final moments, but will get caught up and steamrolled out of nowhere.

Mondriaan

Thanks for the tips. I guess we will just build out full Barroth sets and I'm not sure that there actually are any Fire Weapons that we can get at HR1 without playing offline, but I guess I'll try to see.

Yeah, I know we suck. We'll fight him down to what seems to be the final moments, but will get caught up and steamrolled out of nowhere.
You should play enough offline so that you can both bring a Cha-Cha with you to distract lagi and occasionally heal you with their songs.

I know I had a qurupeco gunlance for the offline lagiacruse fight.

There's definitely flame element weapons to make and use.

When he starts raging...give him some space. Fight defensively. A poke here and a poke there. Eventually he'll get tired and jump onto land...and that's where you bury the fucker.

Well, so much for needing to farm. I got 2 dark dragongems and a deep dragongem on our first quest in my room. :)

Still need two bloods, but I guess Jhen is better for that.

You should play enough offline so that you can both bring a Cha-Cha with you to distract lagi and occasionally heal you with their songs.

So my Cha-Cha has
left me, when do I get him back?

My fiance and I are stuck on the same part, she gets pretty frustrated but I told her we just have to try. I'm using DS while she is using Hammer. There isn't anything really available for me to upgrade or craft to get Fire unfortunately, the two options I saw are all 4* and 5* quests in SP and I've barely touched the surface with the 5* stuff. I've gotten up to beating Lagicarus solo, she hasn't.

Will definitely try the Flash Bombs next round.

Four plates out of three Rathalos(es?). feelsgoodman.gif

Brachydios was annoying. I prepared by gemming antiseptic and didn't have any really big problems despite going through a lot of potions, but the fucker moves so quickly that it's hard to get any hits in. A lot of weapons need those parts though, so I see some painful farming in the future. :/ Got a Brachydios Gem on the first attempt, which I guess is nice (no desire yet - sensor didn't trip).

Mondriaan

So my Cha-Cha has
Do the powderstone quest and you'll get a
quest that gives you a replacement
. For the powderstone quest, bring dash drinks and drink one right before you pick up a powderstone, and then sprint the entire way. You can trade herbivore eggs for dash drinks with the veggie elder at Sandy Plains if you're absolutely hard up for dash drinks.

burgerdog

We should get to farming Blos...

I'll open up a room in a bit if you're on.

I just got off, how about in 2 hours?

edit
I was trying with randoms and I need a good break, my god that was painful. One guy died and decided to afk at the safe house until we'd kill one. I did my best to interrupt his carving with kicks, I seriously hope none of them went through.

Do the powderstone quest and you'll get a
quest that gives you a replacement
. For the powderstone quest, bring dash drinks and drink one right before you pick up a powderstone, and then sprint the entire way. You can trade herbivore eggs for dash drinks with the veggie elder at Sandy Plains if you're absolutely hard up for dash drinks.

Awesome, thanks!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ugh, I need to play this more. I've been so busy with work and dealing with some of my other hobbies that I've not played in almost a week. :( Feels bad.

Hoodbury

So my Cha-Cha has

My fiance and I are stuck on the same part, she gets pretty frustrated but I told her we just have to try. I'm using DS while she is using Hammer. There isn't anything really available for me to upgrade or craft to get Fire unfortunately, the two options I saw are all 4* and 5* quests in SP and I've barely touched the surface with the 5* stuff. I've gotten up to beating Lagicarus solo, she hasn't.

Will definitely try the Flash Bombs next round.

Make sure you also upgrade your armor you guys are wearing a couple times. Tier 1 armor stones drop like candy so don't be afraid to buff up your defense a bit.

Another tip for Lagi is to bring a pitfall trap and use that when he goes on land, if possible use while he's drooling for even longer effect. That will give you a lot of free time to pound his head in and break his hard to reach horns. For the other poster who's friend is using a hammer you can then even combo that into getting a free stun in making the free attack time even longer.

Bring another spare trap and tranqs to cap as well to shorten the quest and make it easier for yourselves.

Lagi hits hard, so the extra defense will help a lot. Play a bit more passively/defensively in the water and then more aggressive while on land.

Flash Bombs are really good against him if you can position and time them properly

Against Lagi it may help for you and your friend to each bring your Cha-Cha's along. I think you can do that in multiplayer? I'm not sure as I just play solo on 3DS. :p

That way, you can set your Cha-Chat's mask to use Fire ability and to use a mask that makes it more aggressive. Might redirect some of the aggression away from you and your friend so you can get more hits in. Also, if you get hit by lightning and are in a shocked state, Cha-Cha can wake you up from it.

Also, swimming underwater, make sure you're sheathing your weapons and "dashing" around a lot more often to avoid attacks.

If you are getting hit a lot and kitty-carting then you might be too aggressive and being poorly positioned to defend/dodge. If you are running out of time in the fight but not carting/feinting too much then you may just not be aggressive enough.

Ridley327

Boy, this game really made up for the unsuccessful Hardhorn runs big time; not only did I get one, but they threw in two Large Wyvern Gems on top of it.

Now, I look like I'm covered in triceratops horns, and that's awesome.

Make sure you also upgrade your armor you guys are wearing a couple times. Tier 1 armor stones drop like candy so don't be afraid to buff up your defense a bit.

Another tip for Lagi is to bring a pitfall trap and use that when he goes on land, if possible use while he's drooling for even longer effect. That will give you a lot of free time to pound his head in and break his hard to reach horns. For the other poster who's friend is using a hammer you can then even combo that into getting a free stun in making the free attack time even longer.

Bring another spare trap and tranqs to cap as well to shorten the quest and make it easier for yourselves.

Lagi hits hard, so the extra defense will help a lot. Play a bit more passively/defensively in the water and then more aggressive while on land.

Against Lagi it may help for you and your friend to each bring your Cha-Cha's along. I think you can do that in multiplayer? I'm not sure as I just play solo on 3DS. :p

That way, you can set your Cha-Chat's mask to use Fire ability and to use a mask that makes it more aggressive. Might redirect some of the aggression away from you and your friend so you can get more hits in. Also, if you get hit by lightning and are in a shocked state, Cha-Cha can wake you up from it.

Also, swimming underwater, make sure you're sheathing your weapons and "dashing" around a lot more often to avoid attacks.

If you are getting hit a lot and kitty-carting then you might be too aggressive and being poorly positioned to defend/dodge. If you are running out of time in the fight but not carting/feinting too much then you may just not be aggressive enough.

Great advice! I feel like Rocky with Mickey in the corner.

Boogiepop

Anyone up for grinding some lower High Rank stuff online? I want to finish off a set of High Rank Wroggi armor, and maybe get some plesioth/nibelsnarf parts to upgrade one of my dual blades.

Edit: And I'm HR 5, so I'd also be good for anything up through that afterwards.

Edit: Made a (US) room. WroggiGaf, 3-9, usual pw.

Raide

HHHOOOLLLEEEE SSHHHEIEEEEEIIIT!!!!

Bracy Down!!! (Captured)

Damn swing dragged me all over and KO'd me twice. No HP left and less than a min on the clock. He starts limping off so I chased him down. Tried to put down trap and he belts me. I have 1/4 hp left and I run to down the trap. He leap-punches right into it and I lay down the quickest volley of tranq bombs ever.

EFFF YEAH HR4!!!!!

Qurupeke

Finally made the brachy x set and now I'm HR7. God, please don't ask me to hunt this thig again. I cap about 50... Please, don't tell me that I'll need pallium again...

Boogiepop

Anyone up for grinding some lower High Rank stuff online? I want to finish off a set of High Rank Wroggi armor, and maybe get some plesioth/nibelsnarf parts to upgrade one of my dual blades.

Edit: And I'm HR 5, so I'd also be good for anything up through that afterwards.

Edit: Made a (US) room. WroggiGaf, 3-9, usual pw.

So I guess nobody's interested?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Lots of good tips in here. I just killed Lagiacrus online without changing my setup up too much, but the other guy was HR2 and most likely offset any areas where I was lacking. I also was playing on Wii U this time whereas before, I was playing on 3DS which is a lot harder to deal with when underwater.

I do think my friend was just underpowered, so we'll farm him a full Barroth set and upgrade it a bit to get him better defense and the lightning resistance. Bringing Cha-Chas may be an option, thought I don't think he's played enough single player to have even found Cha-Cha yet.

hunnies28

Thats it! I had it watching you guys having all the fun! I'm buying a lan adapter for my Wii U (got 3DS version cause my friends said they were getting the game also but then didn't :( )

Mupod

**Caution about network mode**

Hammers A button

Start Network mode? Yes/NO

Hammers A buttom

£$%^£$%^*$%£^*

1. Talk to Neko Means Cat
2. Hammer through his dialogue
3. Accidentally hit solo marina
4. NYA NYAO
5. run back to cat
6. carefully pick network mode
7. CONNECTING TO THE INTERTUBES
8. blah blah blah
9. did you get all that? No Yes
10. No
11. Exiting network mode

Hoodbury

4. NYA NYAO
5. run back to cat
8. blah blah blah
10. No
11. Exiting network mode

Lol, happens almost nightly.

Kouriozan

4. NYA NYAO
5. run back to cat
8. blah blah blah
10. No
11. Exiting network mode
Happen everytime, but now I warp to tanzia, then press X to fast travel.

kidko

Lol, happens almost nightly.

"You just selected Network Mode, which must mean you want to go online. WARNING: If you go online, you will end up online, where online things happen!!! Are you SURE you want to go online? Yes. [ No. ]"

No.

OH WAIT FUUUU

Zornica

Banned
I am thinking about crafting a single hunting horn for online usage only. Are there any major differences between them? which one (path) should I pick?

Mupod

I am thinking about crafting a single hunting horn for online usage only. Are there any major differences between them? which one (path) should I pick?

all HHs have their own song set. Look at what songs you want I guess?

I like Stygian Zinogre's HH for looks/sounds and its simple yet hugely effective song set. It's godlike when you have another HH around since you can just extend all the buffs forever.

If you're looking for something with more defensive/support songs look into steel uragaan's or gigginox's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom