• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

5amshift

Banned
Had Monster Hunter 3DS yesterday in my grasp at Best Buy, but they were not able to ring it out at the register. God damnit, Tuesday it is.

Nicktals

Banned
Anyone have a link to the charm info? Managed to snag a 3DS copy (thanks for the tips guys!), so I'd like to brush up on making sure I'm not on a cursed on, and maybe try to tailor it for GS.

Eusis

Seriously cant believe people are buying 3ds version. No online is a copout and paying them for it gives them permission to do it again.

They're not doing it again though. MH4 has online out of the box.

edit: beaten gah
Incidentally, this is why I didn't sweat getting BC:R2 on sale. That was after the PSN snafu AND Capcom releasing games without always online DRM again, clearly they took the message (and it was just $5.) And besides this is the one you can play locally without getting multiple TVs and Wii Us together only to go online ANYWAY (though I guess P2P would make it almost entirely lag free) or just playing it on the go, so for those angles it can still be worth it especially with save transferring.

Also since it's been a few days (ah hahaha...) since I last asked; ANY word whatsoever on whether a physical manual's with the game, whether 3DS or Wii U?

Proven

Seriously cant believe people are buying 3ds version. No online is a copout and paying them for it gives them permission to do it again.

I've actually got 5 other friends in the city getting it. We can meet weekly. I'm in a perfect position for this.

Also, the Wii U isn't practical for me if it's only one game. Sorry Nintendo.

Rize_21

I've been to a private event,this friday in Paris!I've slept all saturday due to an exhausting week of night work,but it was so worth it to be over there!!

It was an amazing day,just imagine,the game was shown on videoprojectors and some big walls which means the Hunter was almost human sized and the monsters...oh my eyes!they were melting of joy by this insolent magnificience!to meet so many fans/hardcore players,exchanged Miis over 60,plus the tournament of 4 players x 4 team,it smelt the passion to the maximum,we had to do a speedrun against Narga G(got eliminated by classing 2nd there of our session x'(,the fastest time was 5:10 ),Pink Rathian G that striked the team that made the fastest time against the Narga(this quest lasted around 12 minutes,and 2 teams were striked),and it ended against the Plesioth on a free for all from the remaining team!!
The weapons for the 2 quests were dual swords,hunting horn,gunlance,bow and morpho-axe,SnS,katana and lightbowgun,items and armor were pre set,I was a Lancegunner with a full set Deviljho X from the head to feet to the weapon.

The first place won a WiiU MH3U bundle,the second a 3DSXL MH3U bundle,the third both games on both systems!
Just to remember when MHF was such a mouth to ear game,to what it is becoming now drives me crazy !

The pictures have been added on facebook(but are not set on public apparently)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151494837154329.1073741825.819009328&type=3

A new tournament may take place later,I guess it'll be for the Japan Expo.

And I did a new video against the Plesioth,it's still with the gunlance,but the ending is much worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ABEC0gNPQ

...we're less than a week away to finally put our hands on this gem,it's hard to believe!

Santiako

Also since it's been a few days (ah hahaha...) since I last asked; ANY word whatsoever on whether a physical manual's with the game, whether 3DS or Wii U?

In Europe it has one of those foldable poster like 'manuals' with the controls and not much else.

Eusis

In Europe it has one of those foldable poster like 'manuals' with the controls and not much else.
If that's how it is in Europe it'll probably be even worse in the US. Thanks though, digital's a sure thing now!

(And I just checked Youtube to see if there's an unboxing video... and there is one, the guy has NA copies early, but doesn't even rip off the plastic wrap and shows what's inside. It's like I'm being mocked now.)

Xater

Both versions of the game are climbing up the Games charts on Amazon.de. I just want the WiiU version to do well enough that Capcom think about putting 4 or 4G on the machine as well. I prefer playing on a home console, but if it doesn't happen I'll get a 3DS I guess...

Schwabe

finished all offline low rank quests today. not hard at all, Tri Veterans should make it without problems. High rank quests seem a lot more challenging (until i got some good equipment) ... so the game starts at 6* ...

Chatin

Not sure if we know yet, but would the upcoming app for the Wii U allow a 3DS player to play online while the Wii U is also being used to play the Wii U copy online?

Just got back from my local meijer in Waterford MI, they had the Wii U version but no 3DS version on the shelf. The only woman working in the department was on the phone so I didn't want to bother her to check in the back

image.jpg

Doorman

No dice from the Wixom/Novi Meijer on Grand River. Not that I went there looking for the game anyway, but now you know.

Oh well, I guess one more day of the demo won't kill me.

holy shit I can't believe people still don't know that Club Nintendo on the Wii U is AUTOMATED!

as long as you got the game your points survey will be waiting for you if your account was linked

ace3skoot

Except Monster Hunter 4 DOES have online.

MH roots are in local play, its alot more fun when there is a group of people all together in the same room, online is fun still and convenient but its a portable japanese game coming over to the west, were lucky it has an online options at all(via wiiU patch) MH4 has the best shot at being the game that breaks into the mainstream in the west. but personally its not a deal break for me to be online, but i gues si'm lucky to have nerdy freinds near by.

DaBoss

holy shit I can't believe people still don't know that Club Nintendo on the Wii U is AUTOMATED!

as long as you got the game your points survey will be waiting for you if your account was linked

But it's only automated for digital games isn't it? Physical/retail games still require you to enter a code doesn't it?

Pineconn

Currently stuck at an Ohio State/Ferris State hockey game, and all I want to do is PLAY ME SOME DEMO. :(

I also want to experiment with the Gunlance and see if my quick kill on Plesioth was a fluke or not. Likely the element helped more than I would like, lol.

Kuntz

Okay seeing that EU people are waiting as hard as I am, I'll be online as much as I can until Friday (after work, of course).

Never seen deviljoe or alatreon yet, would be a great opportunity (I'm a gunner).

Pineconn

Okay seeing that EU people are waiting as hard as I am, I'll be online as much as I can until Friday (after work, of course).

Never seen deviljoe or alatreon yet, would be a great opportunity (I'm a gunner).

Bring shots that will break the wings/webbing, please. :D

IGN review is up. 8.8
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-review
The Verdict
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a good update of a great game that is starting to show its age, but it’s still very much worth your time and money. The monsters are stunning, the fights can be incomparably exhilarating, and the 3DS and Wii U connectivity is really impressive – even if the online infrastructure is still rather archaic. There’s just enough new stuff for Monster Hunter addicts to get into, and if you’ve never dived into this complex and rewarding series, this is the best opportunity yet.
Video Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyNaLPrk5s

nintendolife review http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/monster_hunter_3_ultimate

/10

Conclusion

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the perfect name choice, as this takes the already exceptional Wii title and adds a daunting amount of new content and a HD sheen. It's also not a game for everyone, and those that go in with eyes closed may be in for a nasty surprise at the level of commitment and skill required.

If you're up for the task, however, it's hard to put down. Some elements feel a little phoned-in — such as some ugly clipping, poor textures and the 3DS touch screen ratio on the GamePad — yet they're small complaints against the whole package. While we may dream of what a fresh new entry designed ground-up for Wii U could accomplish, this does deliver an engrossing experience that is completely unique on the system. Those that missed Monster Hunter Tri but like the concept should pick this up without delay, and those that enjoyed the original should also do the same — the quest is practically never-ending, and that's absolutely fine by us.

Svafnir

This will be my first Monster Hunter game ever! Will be picking up the Wii U version as soon as I can. I have no idea why I didn't play them earlier.

Eusis

LOL @ subtitle, copying the OT subtitle basically.
It's funnier when taken as a continuation. A proud proclamation seguing into pleading.

And the manual... I GUESS that's better than RE6's if it's 6 pages, but if that's the size I'll just stick with digital, especially with the Wii points (don't want to take chances if it's NOT automated for anything but Nintendo Land.)

... Man, and just last year Capcom re-embraced decent sized color manuals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom