• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I got the Chainslaughter (ls) now and noticed there is a mode where I become more powerful or get to the next level or something, don't really know how to explain or if that is always the case for longswords but can someone explain what I have to do in order to achieve that?
Fill up your charge gauge in the upper left by hitting with normal attacks. When it's 3/4 or completely full, press RRRR to do a string of combos - if you hit with the very last attack of that combo (a spinning attack), your LS gauge "levels up". From nothing, to white, to yellow, to red. You do more damage at higher levels.

edit: beaten like a SnS user taking on Jhen Moran

Solo or Group? Solo wise I just have the worst luck with him. I'm gem'd out with +para stats and rolling with a SA that has para on it too obviously but the bastard won't fall. Group wise I love it as I'm always stunning it leaving others to go full tilt on its ass. Lol
Either way, really. I feel he's easier to handle than regular Lagi, just move-wise. I always cheer when Lagi goes on land, and the Ivory fight is just that all the time. He does have more stamina and does more area of effect attacks, but that never bothered me, really.

I think an angry Lagi underwater is much tougher to handle.

DaBoss

You see that bar on the screen? It fills with every hit you do. Once it's full you can do a complete attack combo hitting R repeatedly, which - when finished - gets your LS to the next damage level, the bar will then glow differently.

Normal -> White -> Yellow -> Red.

They expire and the last level (Red) requires you to do such a combo every minute or you fall to the next lower level.

The last thing is purple.

XOJOCSl.jpg

this fucking stupid quest (sirens song)

it never mentioned anything about hunting FIVE pecos

ç_ç

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ivory Lagiacrus is so easy. I wish regular Lagi was on land all the time.

It's like making a "tougher" version of Diablos that... never burrows. Don't remove his biggest strength, silly! Should've been reversed, imo. Very strange.

Well he is albino. And to be fair, there is Abyssal Lagi, which is underwater 100% of the time and is always electrified.

XOJOCSl.jpg

this fucking stupid quest (sirens song)

it never mentioned anything about hunting FIVE pecos

ç_ç

What do you get if you kill all five?

DaBoss

I'm pretty sure they said something about Purple Ludroth and Ivory Lagiacrus being focused on land was what they wanted to do.
So now they can be in MH4 without much of a problem.

Was it purple? You're probably right.

Edit:
I could've sworn it was red, but maybe I'm missing something there.

I guess the sword's glow does look a bit red, but the gauge is surrounded by purple.

Just kill any of the monsters that show up, and then you will eventually get one of the larger monsters show up.

Not only does that sound like a good way not to have fun for an hour, but it doesn't even work. I've killed a bunch of Jaggi and Arzuros and Royal Ludroth to get points for junior's stuff and stoutbones(really only one, but I had to kill 5 to get it), but I keep getting the same crap. Supposedly there are Zinogres and Brachydios in the woods, which are actually fun to fight, but maybe I'm being lied to. If I could stack the stars it wouldn't suck so much, even though it'd still be a shitty grind. Having to kill 25 Pink Rathians to get bumblepumkins already is bad design on Capcom's part, but it's worse that they don't even show up.

Need Moga HR and get more Night stuff. Then most things turn up. :D

I'm on 9 star village quests.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Either way, really. I feel he's easier to handle than regular Lagi, just move-wise. I always cheer when Lagi goes on land, and the Ivory fight is just that all the time. He does have more stamina and does more area of effect attacks, but that never bothered me, really.

I think an angry Lagi underwater is much tougher to handle.

Maybe I need to upgrade my gear a bit more. Taking a swipe from him takes off a decent chunk of my health. I don't know haha.

DaBoss

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53785614]Not only does that sound like a good way not to have fun for an hour, but it doesn't even work. I've killed a bunch of Jaggi and Arzuros and Royal Ludroth to get points for junior's stuff and stoutbones, but I keep getting the same crap.
[/QUOTE]

Oh wait, I don't think I worded that properly. If you beat the monsters that are in the forecast and stay there, it will eventually have another monster show up.

I actually preferred spread just so you can get moderately close and fire them all into its side. I just kept swimming around him and shooting. It actually helps since you always get out of the way of his charges and tail flicks. :D It does help if you have a fire bow of course. :p

Man, there hasn't been one instance so far where I haven't been completely underwhelmed by this weapon. Are there any videos of people wrecking shit with a crappy low level bow? I'm getting the feeling they become good later on.

Oh wait, I don't think I worded that properly. If you beat the monsters that are in the forecast and stay there, it will eventually have another monster show up.

That happened to me once when I got an extra Volvidon, but I'm just supposed to kill a couple really unfun monsters, then wait around and hope something that'll give me 5-star commodities will show up?

DaBoss

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53786067]That happened to me once when I got an extra Volvidon, but I'm just supposed to kill a couple really unfun monsters, then wait around and hope something that'll give me 5-star commodities will show up?[/QUOTE]

That's what I do. I usually have a Rathian or Rathalos show up after killing the weak large monster.

Did this in Tri, I found out that the forecasted monsters aren't set in stone, so other monsters can show up after you beat the first monster.

That's what I do. I usually have a Rathian or Rathalos show up after killing the weak large monster.

Did this in Tri, I found out that the forecasted monsters aren't set in stone, so other monsters can show up after you beat the first monster.

That's really, really dumb design. Worse than tying all the unlockables in Lost Planet 2 to a lottery. The game doesn't even hint that you should wait around, and it's not fun.

WTF CAEDUS???

After 80 hours this game throws another bullshit mechanic at me with no explanation. Dragonator? Ammo for ballista? WTF. My Caedus never went low enough to get hit by the dragonator. I ran out of time. GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I hate how this game is so addicting yet so horrifically terrible sometimes. There's just NO REASON to not explain this shit. UGH

Raide

Man, there hasn't been one instance so far where I haven't been completely underwhelmed by this weapon. Are there any videos of people wrecking shit with a crappy low level bow? I'm getting the feeling they become good later on.

I think once you level up some of the element bows, then they work well. I tend to go for Blast if possible, since it concentrates damage on one spot, usually their face. :D Focus and Wide are handy for getting poison/sleep etc off in large doses but Wide just does not hit enough for raw damage. Handy for breaking multiple parts, especially with Lagi gear on.

It seems to be that you have to tailor you gear pretty specifically to be effective. Element up damage + the weapon you use can be very handy.

If you can catch the monster in a flinching loop, you can dish out heavy damage very quickly but it really depends on luck and how quickly you can get around the controller. At low levels, bow fighting can feel like a chore and can feel very under-powered. I think they do need a buff but if you can keep landing shots at charge 1 or above, then you should be doing enough. Don't forget to Para/Sleep bomb for extra fun.

WTF CAEDUS???

After 80 hours this game throws another bullshit mechanic at me with no explanation. Dragonator? Ammo for ballista? WTF. My Caedus never went low enough to get hit by the dragonator. I ran out of time. GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I hate how this game is so addicting yet so horrifically terrible sometimes. There's just NO REASON to not explain this shit. UGH

It is the legacy of old gameplay mechanics that still fill MH. Little things in MH are the most annoying things. Not enough to stop me but enough t o remind me that they suck.

DaBoss

WTF CAEDUS???

It does. You know when it goes down very far and then works its way up? That is when you go to the Dragonator gong, wait for it to level up with the Dragonator, and then hit the gong thing.

You know when it goes down very far and then works its way up?

No I don't; mine hung out above the dragonator and to the left, out of range of the ballista as well (which I didn't know I needed ammo for, because why the fuck would I know that). I wailed on him with lighting weapon and enraged him multiple times but he never went down. UGH

What's everyone's three favorite and least favorite monsters to fight? And favorite design?

Fun:
  • Brachydios
  • Zinogre
  • Barioth

Annoying:
  • Querpeco
  • Bird Wyverns
  • Anything underwater

Coolest:
  • Nargacuga

I think once you level up some of the element bows, then they work well. I tend to go for Blast if possible, since it concentrates damage on one spot, usually their face. :D Focus and Wide are handy for getting poison/sleep etc off in large doses but Wide just does not hit enough for raw damage. Handy for breaking multiple parts, especially with Lagi gear on.

It seems to be that you have to tailor you gear pretty specifically to be effective. Element up damage + the weapon you use can be very handy.

If you can catch the monster in a flinching loop, you can dish out heavy damage very quickly but it really depends on luck and how quickly you can get around the controller. At low levels, bow fighting can feel like a chore and can feel very under-powered. I think they do need a buff but if you can keep landing shots at charge 1 or above, then you should be doing enough. Don't forget to Para/Sleep bomb for extra fun.

Still stuck without an elemental one. I suppose I can go back to using gunlance until I can get a decent bow and I wanted to make this character a gunner exclusively... Gunlance is sort of a gun I guess haha

http://youtu.be/FQXUqZSdc2s?t=18m45s

Watch that, it shows what I'm talking about. That is when you should hit the Dragonator.

Mine never did that, at least not in the last 15 minutes. I think I'm just gonna quit to be honest. Every time I play the game I find some new frustrating thing that makes me furious. This game comes to close to being legendary but there's just so much bullshit. I don't understand how any human being could have thought some of this shit was a good idea in the first place, but I double don't understand how it makes it into multiple releases of a game, including an HD remaster 3 years later. WTF? Capcom really is terrible.

Copenap

You see that bar on the screen? It fills with every hit you do. Once it's full you can do a complete attack combo hitting R repeatedly, which - when finished - gets your LS to the next damage level, the bar will then glow differently.

Normal -> White -> Yellow -> Red.

They expire and the last level (Red) requires you to do such a combo every minute or you fall to the next lower level.

Multiple hits fills the gauge. Once full you can press RB and get a nice flurry of hits which ends with you sheathing the weapon. Land the last slicing draw and the gauge will get a yellow/white glow around it, which increases the damage. If you don't land a few hits it will start to diminish after awhile and you have to start over. If you try RB without a full gauge, it won't finish in style. :D

I see, thanks a lot! Really starting to feel I make progress.

Also thanjs to Haunted as well, didn't want to quote too much.

Raide

Still stuck without an elemental one. I suppose I can go back to using gunlance until I can get a decent bow and I wanted to make this character a gunner exclusively... Gunlance is sort of a gun I guess haha

The Peco Bow is fairly easy to get and good against Lagi. At some point you want all elements. Fire seems to be pretty effective against most early stuff but later on you will need the correct element to make sure you do enough damage so you don't run out of time.

vareon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53787603]What's everyone's three favorite and least favorite monsters to fight? And favorite design?[/QUOTE]

Favorite:
Brachydios
Jhen Mohran (only in multiplayer)
Zinogre

Least favorite:
Ceadeus
Gigginox
Qurupeco

Qurupeke

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53787603]What's everyone's three favorite and least favorite monsters to fight? And favorite design?
[/QUOTE]
Favourite:
Ivory Lagiacrus
(H)Jhen Mohran
(S)Zinogre

Worst:
R.Ludroth
Ceadeus
Plesioth

explodet

Out of the ones we're farming right now:

Most:
Zinogre (Rock on!)
I. Lagiacrus (no water combat? sold)
Brachydios (you still kinda suck, but at least you ain't dull)

Least:
C. Qurupeco (go away Jho, we'll play with you later)
Diablos/Black Diablos (BLAURHUGHUAHGHAG and then dead)
Duramboros (Duramboredom)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53787603]What's everyone's three favorite and least favorite monsters to fight? And favorite design?[/QUOTE]
Ask me again in a month when I've done everything.

Rize_21

Fun:
  • Nargacuga and his cousins
  • Zinogre
  • Jade Barroth

Annoying:
  • Duramboros
  • Gigginox-for its poison attack,can't escape this-
  • Dire Miralis

Design wise:
  • Zinogre,the way he moves,his attacks animations,I'm often contemplative at him,it's a beautiful creature.

Fun:
  • Nargacuga and his cousins
  • Zinogre
  • Jade Barroth

Annoying:
  • Duramboros
  • Gigginox-for its poison attack,can't escape this-
  • Dire Miralis

Design wise:
  • Zinogre,the way he moves,his attacks animations,I'm often contemplative at him,it's a beautiful creature.

I agree with this, he's got some swag going.

Septimius

What the hell, Duramboros is one of the most fun monsters to fight!

Duramboros is just a bit tedious. He can take punishment like nothing I've encountered this far, and while I don't mind it being preferable to bring with a trap to get its hump, it also became easier when I realized I could topple him. The fact that he's so slow makes it all feel a bit like you're a mild annoyance that eventually managed to take it down.

DaBoss

Haha, like I said, I got a Dark Dragongem this time, and not only did I get it, but I got 2!

Fun:
  • Zinogre
  • Brachydios
  • Azure Rathalos
  • Barioth
  • Narcacuga
Annoying:
  • Gigginox
  • Baleful Giggnox
  • Lagiacrus when it is underwater (dafuq is up with this guy stunning me so easily)
Coolest:
  • Zinogre
  • Narcacuga
  • Azure Rathalos

Screw 3, I want to list as many as possible. :p

Septimius

There is?

The kids are useless in a fight, so I use them to gather, mostly. If I could have them focusing on their healing dances, that'd be nice...

I like that they gather, but they're good distractions for a monster. If they'd just thrown boomerangs to taunt, then dance to heal, it'd be pretty sweet.

But I just love seeing ChaCha run up to a Rathalos and bang him right in the face. So fierce. He is mowed down like a straw a second later, but no guts, no glory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom