• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I don't see why the outburst would have happened. Maybe something you did before and wanted to be an asshole before the person had to go? I wouldn't put too much weight into what those kind of people say. I'm glad there weren't many of those kinds of people in Tri, and I imagine it is the same with MH3U.

yeah I really don't know what I did (or was perceived to have done) there. Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm sort of confused - is the actual game the online mode or the offline mode?

Like... what should a normal progression of the game be? Do you beat the offline mode to beat the game? And is completion of the online mode even tracked as progress or is it more like 'hey I want to fight a monster online today' ?

Ken

Like... what should a normal progression of the game be? Do you beat the offline mode to beat the game? And is completion of the online mode even tracked as progress or is it more like 'hey I want to fight a monster online today' ?

Online stuff progress is tracked by Hunter Rank (which determines what quests you have access to). Online is for playing with other people. I prefer hunting online because it's more fun and hunts usually only take 10 minutes with 4 people.

Offline progress (Moga Village) I would say is mostly tracked by Shakalaka masks and your farm and shipping boat levels. Completing all the offline quests is cool and you'll be super good at MonHun but you're still limited to high rank gear so if you want end-game gear you'll eventually want to go online hunting (or offline Tanzia Port solo G-ranking).

Effect

I really, really hate the Qurupeco. Have to trap it but always something being called in that appears right as I get it in the trap and then they get in the way of me putting it to sleep. I've been trying to capture this thing for the last two hours.

Mupod

Village - offline quests, solo only.
Port - quests with monster HP tuned for two players. Intended for multiplayer but still soloable, and available offline.

For me, I cleared village low rank, then got to HR2 in the port, then finished off the village quests, and then went back to the port. Beating village and getting your farm fully upgraded makes playing online easier since you no longer need to worry much about your traps, potions, bombs etc. I'm a bit of an anomaly and many players prefer to get some gear online when they run into trouble solo.

If you're 100% solo then I'd say clear village entirely before touching the port quests.

There is of course progress in the online quests. It even tracks which weapons you've cleared the arena battles with and there's a special reward for doing everything.

I'm not sure when you'd consider the game 'beaten'. You could finish the village quests but then you're missing out on an entire rank of monsters and gear by not doing the port stuff. You could say Dire Miralis is the final boss, but he's not even close to the hardest thing in the game. You could say HR999 with all quests clear is the end, but there's people out there who hit that and still play.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Abyssal Lagi's description is badass.

A rare species of Lagiacrus known only from an ancient scroll:

From the abyss' darkest cave
Comes the master of the wave
Consumer of the world entire
Devil of the sea most dire
Fear it as you fear the grave.

ryz

Okay, it's absolutely stupid how annoying capturing is in Single Player. You should be able to lay down more than one more trap and carry more than you can. It's infuriating to lay down a trap, only for the monster to fly away or something like that. Then you have to wait a ridiculously long time for the trap to self destruct, because for some dumbass reason there's no way to disarm it.

Having to be absolutely perfect with the timing and placement of your trap in single player is not fun at all. It doesn't add anything to the game but moments of complete annoyance. Getting screwed out of 30 minutes of your time is even worse. Losing because you're defeated is perfectly fine. Losing because an ant decided to spawn and walk into my trap isn't.

Monster Hunter 4 better fix this shit, because retrying so many time because of such poor game design is awful.

As a game designer, statements like "poor game design" and "better fix this shit" really make me sad. The mechanics of monster hunter are very well designed and executed.

Needless to say, you have LEARN how and when to lay traps.

But calling it shitty game design is much easier i guess.

L Thammy

Has anyone else just stopped making progress in order to make more equipment? I was at 6* for like a week, now I'm at 7* and don't have any urge to do new quests. I want Uragaan Scutes! I want Rath plates! I want Volvi Carapaces!

yeah I really don't know what I did (or was perceived to have done) there. Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think there's some people who just like to whine. I had an experience in Tri with a hammer user like that.

Jaggi mask event with three randoms. You have to kill the easiest boss in the game four times and each has severely reduced health. Every single one of us has equipment too good for the job. I have the offline boss' equipment, the hammer guy has endgame stuff.

The monsters go down in maybe a minute or two. I think it was less than that. Every few seconds we get enough another complaint from the hammer guy in the text box: "leave me the head" "stop tripping me" "omg"

...Really? I'd understand if there was any difficulty or risk involved, but you're using Alatreon stuff against a low rank Great Jaggi with really low health.

Mupod

Has anyone else just stopped making progress in order to make more equipment? I was at 6* for like a week, now I'm at 7* and don't have any urge to do new quests. I want Uragaan Scutes! I want Rath plates! I want Volvi Carapaces!

that's how I roll.

I think I'm gonna try and get my last few HR7 key quests done though. I'm kinda curious what HR I actually am and I need to beat Dire Miralis to find out. Plus I want elder dragonbones and Purple Jhen.

L Thammy

As a game designer, statements like "poor game design" and "better fix this shit" really make me sad. The mechanics of monster hunter are very well designed and executed.

Needless to say, you have LEARN how and when to lay traps.

But calling it shitty game design is much easier i guess.

If you miss with a trap, you have to wait a really long time to fix the problem. Even if you thought in advance to bring another trap. And if it's a capture quest, you can't just go "screw it" and keep attacking the monster.

It's pretty easy to follow a monster to its sleeping area, so that's not so bad. But I think it would be perfectly fair if you were allowed to destroy your own traps.

You're always gaining HR points so it's not like you're ever really stopping progress.

Village.

Fistwell

I've uploaded two hunts from last week!it was with Festwill,Kouriozan and Windfish!so here it is:
First,Uragaan x Rathalos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mnJ7-E5e9Y
And Sand Barioth x Diablos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90fjVUU2YGI
There was more than this,but I can't find the original video,it was some fun hunts!as always.
Oh so it was you going on a shock trap binge! Fun hunts!

There's a couple pieces of goldbeard armor that are so good they tend to end up in any set I make with HG earplugs though. So it's not like it's a poor investment.
Oh yeah, it's a very decent set! So boring though.... ;_;

DaBoss

I have done this all of the time once I reach the end of each tier of quests.

Once I beat low-rank in the village, I just went for a Rathalos armor set so I can use it for high rank. Once I finished 9 star quests, I went for Zinogre, Brachy, and Narga sets.

I'm not entirely sure why.

Lyonaz

If you miss with a trap, you have to wait a really long time to fix the problem. Even if you thought in advance to bring another trap. And if it's a capture quest, you can't just go "screw it" and keep attacking the monster.

It's pretty easy to follow a monster to its sleeping area, so that's not so bad. But I think it would be perfectly fair if you were allowed to destroy your own traps.

Ugh yeah I wished the kick button would just destroy your own trap. Waiting for your trap to expire can feel like ages. I just trap now when the monster sleeps.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Despite having a 160 hours clocked on my file I'm still only at HR5, because we've been holding back, clearing stuff, upgrading weapons. No need for me to rush through, even though I know G rank will be the meat of the game for me.

DaBoss

What kind of quests do you guys send your hunters for hire? I always send mine off to do small monsters in either Low-Rank or High-Rank on D. Island.

Mupod

What kind of quests do you guys send your hunters for hire? I always send mine off to do small monsters in either Low-Rank or High-Rank on D. Island.

I prioritize royal ludroth or gigginox because I always need more pale/dash extract.

but right now I just send them on anything g rank because maiden butterflies.

Funniest result so far was a bunch of g-rank hunters failing on 'kill rhenoplos'.

Ricky 7

I didn't even know you could pick the type of quest, I thought that whatever shows up when you talk to them is the only thing available.

I didn't even know you could pick the type of quest, I thought that whatever shows up when you talk to them is the only thing available.

Speak with the guild master (old guy) and you can change where to send hunters and what type of hunts you want them to do (small monsters, large monsters).

I'm still so bad...no idea how to get to HR 2 and I'm actually not even quite sure what it means anyway. I've never had so much fun with no idea what's going on!

Beats

I put a room up in Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 > "gaf g" if anyone wants to join. Usual password.

I'm just mining charms at the moment.

Ghazi

Argh, I'm playing the demo and I don't understand half of what I'm doing. I haven't even been able to beat the Lagombi which is supposedly for Novices/easy.

:(

Novice/Easy if you know what you're doing so don't worry! Go find some videos of people doing the Lagombi fight (demo or not since he has the same behavior in the demo and full game).

I'll look one up now. Please tell me that there's some kind of tutorial in the full game.

Ken

Argh, I'm playing the demo and I don't understand half of what I'm doing. I haven't even been able to beat the Lagombi which is supposedly for Novices/easy.

:(

Novice/Easy if you know what you're doing so don't worry! Go find some videos of people doing the Lagombi fight (demo or not since he has the same behavior in the demo and full game).

Peru

Coolest design is Lagiacrus. Simple but beautiful. I like fighting him as well, even underwater, if the pool is big enough. Pain in the ass in the flooded forest.

Always much love for Peco as well even if he's annoying everyone calling ni friends. Just love his goofy colorful design and his moves.

It happened 3 times in a row with Rathian, now it has happened two times in a row with Lagiacrus.

Never once happened to me.

Boogiepop

Is Jhen Mohran supposed to be hard? Because I couldn't find much of a way to attack him once I got to the second part outside of hitting his arms and using the gong to knock him down. I'm using upgraded Brachy Dual Blades, but I couldn't beat him. No chance this is like Cadeus and the damage stays, is there?

Is Jhen Mohran supposed to be hard? Because I couldn't find much of a way to attack him once I got to the second part outside of hitting his arms and using the gong to knock him down. I'm using upgraded Brachy Dual Blades, but I couldn't beat him. No chance this is like Cadeus and the damage stays, is there?
I beat Jhen my first time with a green weapon. It's not supposed to be hard, but it is a deep fight where you need to know what you're supposed to be doing and at what times. Someone posted a "how to" a few pages back that might help you.

whenitrains

Neo Member
I'm having difficulties in capturing Lagiacrus. Can I use the field horn to make it jump to the surface? I accidentally killed him twice now

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Why, hello there, hunter! You just can't stop talking to me, can you? I guess I do have that certain special something..."

"Your mouth says nothing but your eyes say 'yes.' So, just for you... Tada! A request to hunt down a regular monster!"

AMzq9lr.gif

OH GOD PLESIOTH NO NO

Kyzon

I'm having difficulties in capturing Lagiacrus. Can I use the field horn to make it jump to the surface? I accidentally killed him twice now

Just go fight him, and after you've broken a few pieces, lessen your aggression. See if he's limp swimming. If he limp swims away, wait until he goes away to sleep, and then set up a trap right next to him, kick him in the butt, then as soon as he walks over the trap trying to hit you, throw 2-3 tranqs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oddly, I've never had three tranqs work when the first two have failed. Two failing has always meant I need to bash the monster's face in more and try again.

On the flipside, one time I ran out of tranqs in Tri, and the GAFer I was playing with and I were just like "...shit" cause it was a capture quest. So just for the hell of it I started wailing on it while it was still in the trap, and voila, quest succeeded somehow!

Alchemy

You can capture him underwater. Traps and tranq bombs all work just fine, just wait for him to limp off. Should be hard to accidentally kill him with all that HP.

And when the hell is our off TV play patch :/

DaBoss

Oh yes, got them Conqueror's Seals, time for Helios X armor.

EDIT: Damn I need one more.

You can capture him underwater. Traps and tranq bombs all work just fine, just wait for him to limp off. Should be hard to accidentally kill him with all that HP.

And when the hell is our off TV play patch :/

Tuesday
or right at this moment with the 3DS version. :p

Kyzon

Oddly, I've never had three tranqs work when the first two have failed. Two failing has always meant I need to bash the monster's face in more and try again.

On the flipside, one time I ran out of tranqs in Tri, and the GAFer I was playing with and I were just like "...shit" cause it was a capture quest. So just for the hell of it I started wailing on it while it was still in the trap, and voila, quest succeeded somehow!

You have to successfully pull off 3 things to cap. 1st is reduce the monster's health to 25% (I think it's 25), trap it, and hit it with a couple tranqs. This can be done in any order.

With your situation the monster was just above the health threshold, then you and your partner hit him until he was there, and that completed the last requirement.

whenitrains

Neo Member

Aaaah. I have been playing for 30+ hours and I thought traps only work on land sigh. Thanks for the tips!

Insaniac

are you able to do online with the 3DS / wii u tunneling now or is that in some later patch? Also do you need MH3U Wii u to tunnel?

Aaaah. I have been playing for 30+ hours and I thought traps only work on land sigh. Thanks for the tips!

only shock traps work underwater

DaBoss

are you able to do online with the 3DS / wii u tunneling now or is that in some later patch? Also do you need MH3U Wii u to tunnel?

Not sure if it is available for NA, but it is available for EU, and I do know you don't need MH3U for the Wii U to do the tunneling thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom