• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one thinks Deviljho is fun? In Tri he was the most fun encounter there was.

Also, on the note of the Shakalakas being put in support masks with gathering, I dislike this during fights because they end up running away from the monster, which makes me have to spend more of the fight chasing instead of attacking. They might not do great damage in their attack masks, but they don't "over" distract the monsters either.

Also, on the note of the Shakalakas being put in support masks with gathering, I dislike this during fights because they end up running away from the monster, which makes me have to spend more of the fight chasing instead of attacking. They might not do great damage in their attack masks, but they don't "over" distract the monsters either.

He's fun, but he and Duramboros won't make top 3 because they take up too much of the screen and I wind up spending too much of the match fighting near the room exits which annoys the hell out of me. Monsters should always charge towards the center of the room when they change instead of hanging out.

explodet

I'm still not over the "Jho is intimidating" stage. He decimated us in Tri, and I guess that left an impression. We've downed him but it took work. Not quite sure we're ready to go back to that just yet.

Ultratech

I like fighting him more in this game than in Tri. lol
Of course, I'm way too used to what he does a lot of the time.

Well I only started G-Rank, but that Helios X Armor has some crazy skills.

Helios Z with the X waist is pretty good, and you avoid getting Blunt Edge.
Sharpness +1, High-Grade Earplugs, and Water Atk +1 (You'll have to gem in Water Atk if you use the X Waist.)
I gemmed in Water Atk+1 and Evasion +1 on my set. (I also had an Evasion and Water Atk talisman.)
You can probably gem in whatever you want with a good talisman, since the set has lots of slots.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53795106]Why would you need options when there's Hidden Saber?[/QUOTE]

well you have a point! I kinda miss the almighty True Devil Slicer.

also wanted to ask, what is the fastest way to get flashbugs? The baba only sells thunderbugs.

i am farming them but still too slow

Boogiepop

XOJOCSl.jpg

this fucking stupid quest (sirens song)

it never mentioned anything about hunting FIVE pecos

ç_ç

I thought the Paw Pass worked like all the others and wasted the first 15 minutes or so harvesting crap, only to just barely end up running out of time.

Also, this is the quest that finally had me fighting pecos when I could assault them head on, teaching me in the process the horror that is a peco with a broken beak. It just looks really, really messed up to me for some reason.

ryz

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53787603]What's everyone's three favorite and least favorite monsters to fight? And favorite design?[/QUOTE]

Fun:
  • Zinogre
  • Brachydios
  • Barioth
  • Azure Rathalos

Annoying:
  • Diablos (both)
  • Fucking Gobul
  • Purple Ludroth (without negate poison

Coolest:
  • Barioth
  • Zinogre
  • Nargacuga
  • Deviljho

Just got back from the Nintendo World Event. Super crazy and awesome.
Tons of people. It's great to meet with other monster hunters locally.

Neo C.

Third day not playing online because of things happened during the week, fuuuuuuu...!

Tomorrow is going to be a good day, though. :)

Chuckpebble

I thought the Paw Pass worked like all the others and wasted the first 15 minutes or so harvesting crap, only to just barely end up running out of time.

Also, this is the quest that finally had me fighting pecos when I could assault them head on, teaching me in the process the horror that is a peco with a broken beak. It just looks really, really messed up to me for some reason.

I haven't beaten two of the peccos yet, I went prepped to gun a deviljho and ended up running out of ammo after killing rathian and one pecco, but does the paw pass ticket show after killing two peccos? So you don't have to just hang out for 50 mins? Anyone notice a supplies delivered message after killing a second?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I haven't beaten two of the peccos yet, I went prepped to gun a deviljho and ended up running out of ammo after killing rathian and one pecco, but does the paw pass ticket show after killing two peccos? So you don't have to just hang out for 50 mins? Anyone notice a supplies delivered message after killing a second?

Yes. The Paw Pass is delivered after you kill the second Peco.

Finally got my full Selene Z armor(!), plus a talisman that lets me keep handicraft while gemming away blunt edge. Also boosted my fire resistance.

TheExodu5

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53787603]What's everyone's three favorite and least favorite monsters to fight? And favorite design?

Fun:
  • Brachydios
  • Zinogre
  • Barioth

Annoying:
  • Querpeco
  • Bird Wyverns
  • Anything underwater

Coolest:
  • Nargacuga
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to go with exactly what you posted, heh.

Duramboros and Uragaan get notable mentions.

Boogiepop

So wait, would Goldbeard armor be a good idea to go after for starting G rank, or is there an easier/better set to go for? Just thinking since he's not terribly aggressive he may not be a bad choice.

Fistwell

So wait, would Goldbeard armor be a good idea to go after for starting G rank, or is there an easier/better set to go for? Just thinking since he's not terribly aggressive he may not be a bad choice.
A lot of people do that. He's kinda boring as hell though, and there are easier (although also weaker probably) sets you can make in early G.

Wow, against my better judgement I did the Caedus fight again. Once again he never went low enough to get shot by the dragonator. And of course it got down to the wire (under 10min left) so I tried to hit his tail/lower body and missed. It never refreshed before the fight was over. What's the refresh timer on the god forsaken thing, 15 minutes? Fuck the dumbass who designed the dragonator mechanic. He should be banned from this industry for life. Fucking Japan, UGH.

Its what I'm using. The fight is super boring, but I got lucky enough to get 2 gems on one quest. You'll probably also have to fight Jhen if you don't have enough dragonblood.

Mupod

A lot of people do that. He's kinda boring as hell though, and there are easier (although also weaker probably) sets you can make in early G.

There's a couple pieces of goldbeard armor that are so good they tend to end up in any set I make with HG earplugs though. So it's not like it's a poor investment.

But oh god yes he is boring. My last four fights I got no fur. I just gave up and found another way to make my armor set.

Speaking of which I just made:

Grongigas hammer (awakens into 400 slime)
Awaken
Sharpness+1
Partbreaker
And either HGE or earplugs + any 5 gem skill you want (bombardier, meat lover, grinder)

I then obliterated a bunch of Diablos with this in a group of randoms, even got a hardhorn eventually. I want to make a proper GS set but man even after all those Diablos (and Black Diablos) I barely made a dent in the material requirements.

Okay, it's absolutely stupid how annoying capturing is in Single Player. You should be able to lay down more than one more trap and carry more than you can. It's infuriating to lay down a trap, only for the monster to fly away or something like that. Then you have to wait a ridiculously long time for the trap to self destruct, because for some dumbass reason there's no way to disarm it.

Having to be absolutely perfect with the timing and placement of your trap in single player is not fun at all. It doesn't add anything to the game but moments of complete annoyance. Getting screwed out of 30 minutes of your time is even worse. Losing because you're defeated is perfectly fine. Losing because an ant decided to spawn and walk into my trap isn't.

Monster Hunter 4 better fix this shit, because retrying so many time because of such poor game design is awful.

Ken

Okay, it's absolutely stupid how annoying capturing is in Single Player. You should be able to lay down more than one more trap and carry more than you can. It's infuriating to lay down a trap, only for the monster to fly away or something like that. Then you have to wait a ridiculously long time for the trap to self destruct, because for some dumbass reason there's no way to disarm it.

Having to be absolutely perfect with the timing and placement of your trap in single player is not fun at all. It doesn't add anything to the game but moments of complete annoyance. Getting screwed out of 30 minutes of your time is even worse. Losing because you're defeated is perfectly fine. Losing because an ant decided to spawn and walk into my trap isn't.

Monster Hunter 4 better fix this shit, because retrying so many time because of such poor game design is awful.

1. Monster limping.
2. Wait for it to move to next map.
3. Set trap in new area!
Works 90% of the time.

No shit. But it doesn't help when the monster decides to limp away again after just barely getting to the new area. Which seems to happen a lot.
It rarely happens. If you want to be safe, let it retreat all the way back to its sleeping area. If you want to be really safe, bring 2 traps along with the free one you get for the quest. Monster Hunter is like being a Boy Scout: always be prepared.

chrono01

I normally wait for it to sleep before I bother laying a trap. I'll usually "ping" the map with Cha-Cha w/ Fluffy Mask and when the icon/dot turns Blue I rush over there. I'll purposely delay the fight if I think the monster is getting close to being dead and wait for it to retreat.

It definitely does slow the pace somewhat, though. Capturing is much easier in multiplayer since, if one trap fails, at least there's a chance others have some to lay down.

Ken

It happened 3 times in a row with Rathian, now it has happened two times in a row with Lagiacrus.

That's some weird AI behavior you're encountering then. I've only had it happen to me once or twice on Qurupeco, but I just attributed it to Qurupeco being Qurupeco.

It rarely happens. If you want to be safe, let it retreat all the way back to its sleeping area. If you want to be really safe, bring 2 traps along with the free one you get for the quest. Monster Hunter is like being a Boy Scout: always be prepared.

Ivory Lagi always does this. He will go from 8 to 11 and only throw out 2-3 attacks before trying to get to 12. Other monsters seem to either put up a fight on the way to its rest area or just move directly to rest area.

So, the other day I was doing the HR4 urgent Ivory Lagiacrus with some randoms online. Coming up on Lagi's death we had him in a pitfall trap with everyone hitting him with all they had, so naturally I did as well (using sword mode, and we had already broken his horns and cut the tail). This is when one of the guys I'm playing with calls me out by name and says "STOP!", "YOU SUCK!". Then we got disconnected.

While this guy no doubt is an a-hole, there must be some reason he spazzed out like that. I don't understand what I did wrong and I'd like to know. Any ideas? Any andvanced SA tips for online perhaps? I don't want to be in anyone's way.

Also, that was a sucky experience.. First bad online experience with this game. Oh well. Bound to happen at some point I guess. :-(

Ken

So, the other day I was doing the HR4 urgent Ivory Lagiacrus with some randoms online. Coming up on Lagi's death we had him in a pitfall trap with everyone hitting him with all they had, so naturally I did as well (using sword mode, and we had already broken his horns and cut the tail). This is when one of the guys I'm playing with calls me out by name and says "STOP!", "YOU SUCK!". Then we got disconnected.

While this guy no doubt is an a-hole, there must be some reason he spazzed out like that. I don't understand what I did wrong and I'd like to know. Any ideas? Any andvanced SA tips for online perhaps? I don't want to be in anyone's way.

Also, that was a sucky experience.. First bad online experience with this game. Oh well. Bound to happen at some point I guess. :-(

Did you do that thing where you send everyone flying? I don't use SA so I don't know if that's a sword or axe mode thing.

Maybe he wanted you to throw tranq bombs or something? I wouldn't put much thought into that instance.

Were you hitting your teammates, or were they trying to capture him? That's all I can think of as a reason to say "STOP!" The "you suck" part I'd have to be there for.

DaBoss

Did you do that thing where you send everyone flying? I don't use SA so I don't know if that's a sword or axe mode thing.

Maybe he wanted you to throw tranq bombs or something? I wouldn't put much thought into that instance.

Its sword mode.

DaBoss

Nah. In sword mode pressing x, nobody's flying anywhere. Upswing in axe mode sends people flying. I don't/didn't do that.

Then I don't see why the outburst would have happened. Maybe something you did before and wanted to be an asshole before the person had to go? I wouldn't put too much weight into what those kind of people say. I'm glad there weren't many of those kinds of people in Tri, and I imagine it is the same with MH3U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom