• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky 7

Speak with the guild master (old guy) and you can change where to send hunters and what type of hunts you want them to do (small monsters, large monsters).
Thanks man.

jB99XnOGRiqcp.png

every time
This is so true lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You have to successfully pull off 3 things to cap. 1st is reduce the monster's health to 25% (I think it's 25), trap it, and hit it with a couple tranqs. This can be done in any order.

With your situation the monster was just above the health threshold, then you and your partner hit him until he was there, and that completed the last requirement.

Fascinating, didn't know it could be out of order.

Ultratech

Did some HR8+ quests earlier today.

Crazy Arena shenanigans...we kinda spammed the Narga/Barioth/S.Barioth/G.Narga quest for a while. I was getting pretty mad HR as a result. Also got a handful of Narga Mantles. :D

Then we decided to do the Abyssal Lagi, which I'd never really done (watched a short video, but that's it).
Somehow, it wasn't really even that bad for an underwater fight. Barely got hit by anything, and managed to cut the tail off both times we did the quest.
Maybe it's the fact you have so much room to move around in that made it easier for me? I dunno.

Too bad the Nether armor requires some crazy rare mats to make. :(

Speaking of, two questions for anybody:
1. What's a good Dragon Switch Axe to use?
2. What's some good Miralis weapons to make? Was thinking of making the SnS.

3 Shining Charms from a G. Wroggi+ run and no G. Wroggi Brace+. Curse you desire sensor. I just want to finish my high rank armor so I can kill things.

JKTrix

I dedicated today to learning how to use the Heavy Bowgun. Threw myself in at the deep end doing post-Rathalos low rank 5 star village quests and actually did pretty good (after getting the Rathalos gunner armor set). I like the HBG! Barioth in particular was a joke with flame shots.

DaBoss

Do Pitfall traps last longer to compensate?

From what I can tell, they do last longer. They both have their advantages and disadvantages though.

Pitfall Traps allow you to get good hits on a monster's face/head and back. Shock Traps give you easy access to tails and legs/claws.

Ridley327

Do Pitfall traps last longer to compensate?

Not only that, but monsters don't build up resistances to Pitfalls like they can with Shocks. Of course, there's some interesting quirks here and there with how monsters react to both types of traps, like Nargacuga automatically leaping out of a Pitfall if it's in non-rage mode, or a Shock giving you a very, very brief window of opportunity to do work on Zinogre before it absorbs it.

DaBoss

Damn, looks like I won't be able to make any Handicraft Jewels for a while. What skills did you guys put on your Helios X armor?

Peru

Duramboros isn't bad. Village? Not bad at all. Plus I really like how he looks and that cool launch move so I'm half admiring it half fighting it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Going 45 minutes and then dying due to the frustration of how fucking long it takes isn't fun though.

Sigh, I know I just need to learn him more. I think I'll just go grind to upgrade my equipment for now.

Going 45 minutes and then dying due to the frustration of how fucking long it takes isn't fun though.

Sigh, I know I just need to learn him more. I think I'll just go grind to upgrade my equipment for now.
You never have to grind to beat a boss.

My guess is that you're running away during his tail spin, when you're supposed to be getting under him for free hits.

Alternatively, you are not good with your weapon against that boss. I know I fought Baleful Gigginox, and goddamn timed out against him with my first-ever Hunting Horn fight. Then I switched to a LS and beat him in 15. Skill is funny like that.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, didn't know you can get under him during the tailspin. I guess I wasted a lot of time waiting for him to land to wail on him.

Yeah, I was sure I was coming up on a bottleneck, but I beat everything with one set of armor that I crafted based off my first mission of high rank. Now I'm on 9-star and everything's still really easy. The beast-class monsters are pretty much the only thing keeping me interested.

Duramboros is pretty dumb. The main thing you shouldn't do is respect him. Get in there and wack him while he does the tail pound attack, wack him during the spinning attack. Wack the shit out of him.

Sanctuary

Fought a Dumboros for the first time last night. At first I thought "this is funny, and exceedingly easy" but then it seemed like it took 30 minutes to kill...with my new Thunderclap. As the fight progressed it also seemed like it was harder to get any decent hits in before it would try charging or just trampling over me. I didn't know that his back was his weak spot, although I did hit it when I couldn't get to his tail (although I don't even know if it's breakable since it's one of the key parts to the fight).

Also, I kind of get why it's like this, but I still find it utterly ridiculous how drinking a potion is like monster-homing-missle-lockon. They can be all the way across the screen, engaged with your two Shakalaka partners, then instantly do a 180 and fireball or charge you as soon as the button is pressed. Sometimes the reactions of the monsters don't seem "natural" in any way at all, and they do react to button presses. Especially when you're trying to tail chop. That's not just a guess or random mistiming either. It was pretty apparent when you first fought the Great Jaggi. It could just be standing there directly in front of you doing nothing, and as soon as you would press the button--long before your swing even started--it would do that 80 yard backwards hop.

Artorias in Dark Souls behaves almost exactly the same.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How do I unlock more 5 star quests in single player?

This is what I don't have completed as far as I know:

1-4*:
-Various quests

5*:
-The Lord of the Seas
-Heat Exhaustion

Villager Requests:
-Field of Dreams
-Lamp Mask

ramyeon

Fought a Dumboros for the first time last night. At first I thought "this is funny, and exceedingly easy" but then it seemed like it took 30 minutes to kill...with my new Thunderclap. As the fight progressed it also seemed like it was harder to get any decent hits in before it would try charging or just trampling over me. I didn't know that his back was his weak spot, although I did hit it when I couldn't get to his tail (although I don't even know if it's breakable since it's one of the key parts to the fight).

Also, I kind of get why it's like this, but I still find it utterly ridiculous how drinking a potion is like monster-homing-missle-lockon. They can be all the way across the screen, engaged with your two Shakalaka partners, then instantly do a 180 and fireball or charge you as soon as the button is pressed. Sometimes the reactions of the monsters don't seem "natural" in any way at all, and they do react to button presses. Especially when you're trying to tail chop. That's not just a guess or random mistiming either.
His tail is cuttable, and you'll be able to mine it after it breaks.

Doorman

Duramboros isn't bad, but yes the fight is pretty long and tedious at times. The first time I fought him was with the Lance and that worked out pretty damn well. A quick block-advance through his tail spin and it's easy money. The hardest thing about that monster, to me, is still just the visibility factor. When you're under his legs it becomes such a pain in the ass to just see anything.

I need to set some sort of goal for what to work towards tomorrow. Now that I have access to the high rank Volvidon quest in the village, I think I might be able to get everything I need for the Uragaan S armor. That and some Rathian hunting for weapon upgrades should put me in a good spot to get through most of the rest of high rank.

How do I unlock more 5 star quests in single player?

This is what I don't have completed as far as I know:

1-4*:
-Various quests

5*:
-The Lord of the Seas
-Heat Exhaustion

Villager Requests:
-Field of Dreams
-Lamp Mask

that one will open things up for you

if you want tips of how to get it out of the way check the spoilers

you can do it the easy way by eating the right foods
Fish + Milk (Fresh) move the cooking to the right tabs (STEAM) until you see Supercat and landing (lander) skills
that way you can take the shortcut jumping with the powderstone off the volcano without breaking

next time you try it there will be a monsters use the stink bomb to make it leave that room you will be free to go get the second stone

all you have to do this just run while you carry with the skills that help you keep your stamina up

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Duramboros isn't bad, but yes the fight is pretty long and tedious at times. The first time I fought him was with the Lance and that worked out pretty damn well. A quick block-advance through his tail spin and it's easy money. The hardest thing about that monster, to me, is still just the visibility factor. When you're under his legs it becomes such a pain in the ass to just see anything.

I need to set some sort of goal for what to work towards tomorrow. Now that I have access to the high rank Volvidon quest in the village, I think I might be able to get everything I need for the Uragaan S armor. That and some Rathian hunting for weapon upgrades should put me in a good spot to get through most of the rest of high rank.

He's pretty easy, he telegraphs all his moves and the only time you get caught is when he takes up the whole screen (like you said), the only problem I'm having is actually getting the kill before the time limit. I have been putting off that upgrade for a while though.

Is it anywhere specific on the tail? I was trying to hit the ball end, or the middle but then gave up after about 20 - 30 whacks.

The tail breaks twice, so keep at it. You're probably like me and have put off a weapon upgrade for a while though from the sounds of it.

ramyeon

The first time his tail breaks you can mine it when he falls on the ground after jumping.

Second time it will literally fall off and you can mine it then.

Ultratech

Wanna have some more fun? Bring Flash Bombs.

When he starts to spin around, toss one at him and watch him trip to the ground!

I had particular fun with this during a G-Rank Rust Duramboros quest. :D

Boogiepop

Man, screw Jhen Mohran. Everything just seems to have so much wind-up in that fight, as in the cannons and the gong and the dragonator. Didn't use the ship equipment too terribly much in my first try, then used up everything in the second try till nothing was left. Of course, I found out I'm stupid and apparently missed the binding ballista ammo both times, thinking it was just gunner ammo like usual.

Still, I watched the tutorial, so hopefully now that I have a bit better of an idea as to when I should be using the gong and stuff in the first half, maybe I'll be able to take him and keep him from breaking my stupid boat. Still, I am REALLY not having fun with this fight.

Kyzon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53849382]Press A next to all of them to unlock the path to Dark Falz.[/QUOTE]

10/10 Nostalgia Boner Achieved

ramyeon

So I kind of neglected doing the Canteen quests until now and will have to go back and do them all. Do I need to do every one of them to upgrade the canteen fully? Or just the latest ones?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I took him down my first try. He has a lot of health, you just have to be aggressive. I didn't abuse flash bombs or hit him during his spin, either.

Same. He just take a while. Only tricky part is making sure you don't get caught up in his spin-and-throw.

Same. He just take a while. Only tricky part is making sure you don't get caught up in his spin-and-throw.
Yeah, my wife got 1-shot a few times by that. Luckily, I found a +8 health talisman early on, so I've been fighting with 120 health against everything so far.

Sanctuary

The tail breaks twice, so keep at it. You're probably like me and have put off a weapon upgrade for a while though from the sounds of it.

I mentioned using a new weapon in my first post. I was thinking about possibly switching to a Great Sword though for farming parts (currently alternate between Lance and Longsword). Maybe the Switch Axe for it's vertical strike. Not sure yet. The Longsword is just...too good and feels the most familiar coming from other games.

JoeFu

Banned
Is there an easy way to farm Great Wroggis? I need the beaks, and the only way for me to fight them right now is the kill a great wroggi quest.

Sanctuary

Is there an easy way to farm Great Wroggis? I need the beaks, and the only way for me to fight them right now is the kill a great wroggi quest.

Until they appear (if they do) in the Moga Woods, you just have to do the kill quest again and again. I have no idea how a lizard has a beak though.

JoeFu

Banned
Until they appear (if they do) in the Moga Woods, you just have to do the kill quest again and again.

That sucks... I've broken the sac and killed the thing 4 times and have only gotten 1 beak... yaaaay. Maybe upgrading my Rugged Great Sword isn't worth all this farming. Might just keep using this thing until I can make the Lagiacrus one.

Antiwhippy

FUCK YES.

Duramboros down!

In 20 minutes too. I really had to be more aggressive. Having a Giasp with 728 damage helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom