• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

You should have access to the canteen already, getting additional life shouldn't be a problem.

I've just been using 1-2 Mega Nutrients for my health needs and then just go for resists or attack/oracle from the cook. They are fairly easy to mass produce as well. Sometimes you can get lucky and get health and defense on top of the attack too.

Canteen? If you mean the cook, I prefer to go for stamina bonuses over health bonuses because I hate cooking meat. :p

One meat can max out your stamina bar, and takes about two minutes to cook ten. Most of the time you'll not even need to use your own on a quest due to them providing three rations.

Qurupeke

My "Rathian Sized" Azuros

Not counting wingspan, this thing's body looks to be the same as a Rath

sKzSGtB.jpg

:O

One meat can max out your stamina bar, and takes about two minutes to get ten. Most of the time you'll not even need to use your own on a quest due to them providing three rations.
I know how to play the game, I had over 500 hours in MHT. I don't like cooking.

I love the way the canteen works in MH3U way more than MHTri's +50 health and +50 stamina AND other bonuses? SIGN ME UP!
I wish there were a good way to look for particular felyne food effects, though. Like if I want Explorer, I want to just eat whatever gives me that. I don't care about bonuses on a gathering quest, I want more mining spots!

That's why you aim for its butt and wipe its ass clean. That Charmin didn't help at all.
That attack where he backs up, which I call "the fatass attack", always hits me.

I've finally picked this back up after not really playing for the last week. Took down my first Pink Rathian! I think I screamed a little when she did her sidebite fire breath attack, and then I got hit by it 3 times in a row. And then again when she did her spinning tail launch thing.... I carted twice but I pulled through!

I really need some new armor though, this Rathalos ain't cuttin' it. I kind of want the high rank version, but there isn't any high rank village Rathalos right now. :/ I might just have to solo farm the HR3 one... I guess I could use this time to change from Switch Axe to something else though.

Bear

My "Rathian Sized" Azuros

Not counting wingspan, this thing's body looks to be the same as a Rath

sKzSGtB.jpg

God damn, I didn't know there could be that much variation in size.

This has been bugging me for a long time: does size affect any of their stats? Is it just cosmetic, or does a larger monster have more health, higher attack or any other advantage at all over a smaller one?

Sanctuary

You'll find out soon enough my boy. You'll find out soon enough. :p

I'm not sure what you're hinting at, unless there's an enemy that can remove your buffs, or just the fights that last 30-40 minutes. I have to use my own sometimes, but it's rare so far.

I stopped making steaks once I could mass produce energy drinks.

Thanks for reminding me. It's been a while since I've actually checked the requirements on those, but I did use the Mega Dash Juice or whatever a few times...pretty awesome.

Anyone go to the Nintendo World event today? It was like 200 heads deep. Glad to see the game taking off like this.

also
tumblr_ml7kpwSTrN1ql6mlno1_500.jpg

Fantastic pic.
And I went. Really crowded, but I loved getting to know people in local hunt. Super fun. I wish I won one of those figures in the raffle.
It was also pretty cool getting some DLC 6 weeks before release.

I've finally picked this back up after not really playing for the last week. Took down my first Pink Rathian! I think I screamed a little when she did her sidebite fire breath attack, and then I got hit by it 3 times in a row. And then again when she did her spinning tail launch thing.... I carted twice but I pulled through!

I really need some new armor though, this Rathalos ain't cuttin' it. I kind of want the high rank version, but there isn't any high rank village Rathalos right now. :/ I might just have to solo farm the HR3 one... I guess I could use this time to change from Switch Axe to something else though.
I made HR Volvidon armor, and I am very happy with it. My armor skills:
Attack Up (Large)
Evasion +1
Maestro
Tremor Resistance

It's an easy farm, too: 4 fights total. You can make the LR boots instead of the HR ones since they require Volcano mining materials, and the benefit is Torso Up so you're good regardless.

Defense is a little over 300 - it's a nice first HR armor set. It has even let me solo Jhen offline with a green sharpness weapon and get kills with 7 minutes to spare (seriously) because the Jhen causes so much tremor for you to bypass. It also looks cool.

I'm not sure what you're hinting at, unless there's an enemy that can remove your buffs, or just the fights that last 30-40 minutes. I have to use my own sometimes, but it's rare so far.
Once you get into High Rank quests,
the game stops giving you Supplies at the start. So if you don't eat Stamina food, you're going to go through at least one Well-Done Steak every quest, and sometimes two or three (if you cart or it takes you a while).

DaBoss

I wish there were a good way to look for particular felyne food effects, though. Like if I want Explorer, I want to just eat whatever gives me that. I don't care about bonuses on a gathering quest, I want more mining spots!

Veggie + Veggie can show you all of the daily food skills.

Also, you'll later unlock Drinks as an ingredient which will give you those rare skills such as explorer. It's awesome.

That attack where he backs up, which I call "the fatass attack", always hits me.

That's true, but the job's still gotta be done!

Veggie + Veggie can show you all of the daily food skills.

Also, you'll later unlock Drinks as an ingredient which will give you those rare skills such as explorer. It's awesome!
I've gotten Explorer with the non-Drink ingredients (twice). I got all excited and then remembered that Volcano doesn't have a secret area, haha.

How does Veggie + Veggie show me all the daily food skills? Is it like the skills available are all set to Veggie + Veggie, and then they're dispersed throughout the other food items? If so, that's awesome, and thank you for the tip.

DaBoss

Yeah, I'll wait for the surprise. :)

Yea I was hinting at that surprise.

I've gotten Explorer with the non-Drink ingredients (twice). I got all excited and then remembered that Volcano doesn't have a secret area, haha.

How does Veggie + Veggie show me all the daily food skills? Is it like the skills available are all set to Veggie + Veggie, and then they're dispersed throughout the other food items? If so, that's awesome, and thank you for the tip.

Volcano does have a secret area. :p

If you just do Veggie + Veggie, but not order it, you'll be able to see all of the daily food skills available.

It's also important to note that when using Drinks as an ingredient, the daily food skills are different.

Volcano does have a secret area. :p

If you just do Veggie + Veggie, but not order it, you'll be able to see all of the daily food skills available.

It's also important to note that when using Drinks as an ingredient, the daily food skills are different.
Why the hell didn't Felyne Explorer take me to it, then?!

Oh, that reminds me. I have a rather obscure question for all of you. My wife is interested in what I can only call the "Butterfly" armor because I don't remember its name, and it requires some bugs I have never heard of. I checked GFAQs, and people say you can only get these bugs by sending Guild Card hunters out on quests (wtf). So, if my wife is exclusively a 3DS gamer, how on earth is she supposed to get those aside from tagging with me?

Ken

explorer only triggers on quests with possibility of guest monsters

she can get them by constantly sending you out on quests from the port so hopefully your guy is ready to kill hundreds of rhenoplos

I'm almost certain this was the case, as I did a gathering quest for Volcano, and previously I've had Uragaan show up even though he's not part of the quest.

she can get them by constantly sending you out on quests from the port so hopefully your guy is ready to kill hundreds of rhenoplos
Yeah, but what if she didn't have me? Would she just be screwed? Feels weird. And can she only send me on quests when in the Single Player multiplayer area? It's kind of lame to restrict people to only using it there, if that's the case. Who wants to do 4-player quests alone?

you should get it from the "fresh" bonuses though.
Fresh doesn't affect life gained, the number of stars do. Last I checked, Fresh affects stamina (maybe?) and chance of getting felyne skills. I'm still getting used to the new systems from Tri. Thus far I've just been filling in all the "???" so I can make educated meals.

Kyzon

Explorer only triggers on quests where you start in random areas

I made HR Volvidon armor, and I am very happy with it. My armor skills:
Attack Up (Large)
Evasion +1
Maestro
Tremor Resistance

It's an easy farm, too: 4 fights total. You can make the LR boots instead of the HR ones since they require Volcano mining materials, and the benefit is Torso Up so you're good regardless.

Defense is a little over 300 - it's a nice first HR armor set. It has even let me solo Jhen offline with a green sharpness weapon and get kills with 7 minutes to spare (seriously) because the Jhen causes so much tremor for you to bypass. It also looks cool.
Thanks! The skills on it look good to me, the tremors that some of these monsters have been causing suck big-time. Attack up and evasion both sound good too.

Kyzon

This has been bugging me for a long time: does size affect any of their stats? Is it just cosmetic, or does a larger monster have more health, higher attack or any other advantage at all over a smaller one?

I'm not sure about stats, but damn, do monsters have WAY more reach. And due to their size, they are cover more ground quickly

Does any Guild Card quest give her butterflies? Is there a little tutorial on how that whole thing works?

Thanks! The skills on it look good to me, the tremors that some of these monsters have been causing suck big-time. Attack up and evasion both sound good too.
NP. I was surprised how good it is too. I was still wearing LR Jaggi and was about to fight Brachydios, and I thought "it's time for an upgrade..."

It's definitely not just cosmetic, since it messes with hitboxes. Hammering some monsters becomes a pain when they're huge because their feet elongate, raising the head above normal pound levels. -_-

I've always assumed smaller ones have less health, because they feel like they die earlier.

DaBoss

I'm almost certain this was the case, as I did a gathering quest for Volcano, and previously I've had Uragaan show up even though he's not part of the quest.

What quest are you doing? Are you doing a high rank quest?

Yeah, but what if she didn't have me? Would she just be screwed? Feels weird. And can she only send me on quests when in the Single Player multiplayer area? It's kind of lame to restrict people to only using it there, if that's the case. Who wants to do 4-player quests alone?

You can do Tanzia quests solo. Talking to Neko (means "Cat") will give you the option to go to Solo or Multi. They are definitely solo-able.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, if I'm reading it right, during the capture quest, trapping it, tranqing it and getting its hp down, the order for it doesn't matter?

Ken

Does any Guild Card quest give her butterflies? Is there a little tutorial on how that whole thing works?

I found this:

Go to the guy in the middle of the guild ladies. You can specify which rank quests you want. send out the mercenaries to G Rank volcano gathering. I usually get 1-2 each time the come back assuming they pass the mission.

So, if I'm reading it right, during the capture quest, trapping it, tranqing it and getting its hp down, the order for it doesn't matter?

Huh. It's usually beat it up until it falls into a limping state, trap it, and throw tranqs at it. If the monster is capturable, enough tranquilizers are used on it within a few seconds of each other, and it's in a trap it will be captured.

You can also be fancy and throw tranq bombs at it as it runs towards your trap causing instant cap.

What quest are you doing? Are you doing a high rank quest?
It was HR volcano gathering.

You can do Tanzia quests solo. Talking to Neko (means "Cat") will give you the option to go to Solo or Multi. They are definitely solo-able.
Aren't they "multi" status, though? In the sense that the monster's health is adjusted? I'm not saying they aren't soloable, just that, if that is true, it sucks to deal with that just for butterflies. :p

It doesn't matter, but you want to do it in the order of HP down, trap, tranq, because tranqs are a status effect like paralysis, and monsters heal from it over time. So you don't want to do something like throw 3 tranqs at the start of the quest, and trap the monster far later. It won't work.

I found this:

Go to the guy in the middle of the guild ladies. You can specify which rank quests you want. send out the mercenaries to G Rank volcano gathering. I usually get 1-2 each time the come back assuming they pass the mission.
Goddamn, my guy can fail a gathering mission? :-/

Thanks.

DaBoss

Well your trap only works for a short period of time. You would need to have the monster almost ready to do it in the order you said. The safest way is to weaken the monster, let it limp off to a the next area, set the trap, tranq bombl it now or make it follow you into the trap and then tranq bomb it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It doesn't matter, but you want to do it in the order of HP down, trap, tranq, because tranqs are a status effect like paralysis, and monsters heal from it over time. So you don't want to do something like throw 3 tranqs at the start of the quest, and trap the monster far later. It won't work.

Alright, cool, got it.

DaBoss

It was HR volcano gathering.

Do you mean those harvest tours with the pawpass tickets? They will always make you start at the starting area.

Aren't they "multi" status, though? In the sense that the monster's health is adjusted? I'm not saying they aren't soloable, just that, if that is true, it sucks to deal with that just for butterflies. :p

Attack is the same as multi, HP is not. It's more challenging than the village quests.

Also, she doesn't have to do the Tanzia quests. She just has to do 3 quests at either the Village or Tanzia and hired hunter will come back with goodies.

Do you mean those harvest tours with the pawpass tickets? They will always make you start at the starting area.

Attack is the same as multi, HP is not. It's more challenging than the village quests.
Good to know.

Also, she doesn't have to do the Tanzia quests. She just has to do 3 quests at either the Village or Tanzia and hired hunter will come back with goodies.
Wat. So my wife's minion has been waiting for me all this time? *goes to check*

Edit: LOL, you're right. Good to know that she succeeded at hunting that Great Jaggi from so long ago...

So when we're doing mutliplayer, she has to swap in and out of my port and her solo port to keep doing this? How abrasive.

DaBoss

Wat. So my wife's minion has been waiting for me all this time? *goes to check*

Most likely. :p

There's also a button on the bottom screen that says Hunters for Hire. you can use that to fast-travel to the Tavern (Tanzia).

Edit: LOL, you're right. Good to know that she succeeded at hunting that Great Jaggi from so long ago...

So when we're doing mutliplayer, she has to swap in and out of my port and her solo port to keep doing this? How abrasive.

Not sure if multi quests count, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Ken

what is in the secret parts?

gathering spots with high chance for rare items (rare charms, purecrystals, elder dragbones) that you can eventually get from non-secret parts. biggest thing is slickaxes (iirc are unique to secret mining spots)that let you dupe certain items by combining.

Most likely. :p

There's also a button on the bottom screen that says Hunters for Hire. you can use that to fast-travel to the Tavern (Tanzia).

Not sure if multi quests count, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
Holy crap, after sending someone out once I lose their hunter? -_-

This...will take a while.

DaBoss

Holy crap, after sending someone out once I lose their hunter? -_-

This...will take a while.

No you don't. After you use a hunter, they'll be gone a while, not sure how long, but they'll be back again ready to serve you. When you have lots of hunters available to be hired, it will be easy to get resources and stuff.

No you don't. After you use a hunter, they'll be gone a while, not sure how long, but they'll be back again ready to serve you. When you have lots of hunters available to be hired, it will be easy to get resources and stuff.
HMMMMM.

Maybe I'll figure out how to uplink her to online play through the Wii U, and turn some of you G-rank fellows with good gear into her minions...

Fewr

Wow, 171 pages. This is crazy.

Do we have sales numbers yet? I hope they were mentioned in today's (yesterday's?) MH event.

DaBoss

HMMMMM.

Maybe I'll figure out how to uplink her to online play through the Wii U, and turn some of you G-rank fellows with good gear into her minions...

I'm not entirely sure, but gear doesn't seem to play a role in it at all. Maybe their rank does, but from what I can tell, it doesn't really.

Wow, 171 pages. This is crazy.

Do we have sales numbers yet? I hope they were mentioned in today's (yesterday's?) MH event.

200 pages gogogogogo!

10,000 sold in France. Sold out in the UK basically.

I doubt they talked about sales at the event.

I do think it will surpass MHTri's sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom