• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gathering spots with high chance for rare items (rare charms, purecrystals, elder dragbones) that you can eventually get from non-secret parts. biggest thing is slickaxes (iirc are unique to secret mining spots)that let you dupe certain items by combining.

can I do this in the Village quests or do I need to be online?

I want to go there I need some good charms

Ken

What were they like

"This is my 50th Abyssal Lagi and I've never died once haha. Whoever dies to Abyssal Lagi should uninstall."

*dies*

"$@#$*@ cheap spam lightning dragon rush ##$#$"

true story

can I do this in the Village quests or do I need to be online?

I want to go there I need some good charms

the highest rarity charms come from g-rank so you'd need to be doing tanzia port stuff.

otherwise just find a high rank quest with a ? in the monsters list thhat isn't a harvest tour quest

HMMMMM.

Maybe I'll figure out how to uplink her to online play through the Wii U, and turn some of you G-rank fellows with good gear into her minions...

I use hunters a lot to farm monters I need
don't forget to go to the desk and change the area you want the hunters to focus on
you can have all of them go to tundra volcano anywhere or even monsters by taking to the little drunk guy

it takes two days or for me I just go to village sweetheart and do the kelbi horn quest twice and return to the tavern

once you return after two quests the hunter will be there I always send him or her out with a max of 4 hunters to increase my chances sometimes you will see him on the floor it means the party failed most times he is just standing and nodding for success but if they are all celebrating when you talk to him it means they got you something good

so I like farming with them even if it cost me 500z each time since the 2 kelbi horn quest gives me 600z so I can repeat this all day with 2 kelbi horns and some hunters I got from my GAF buddies

Solune

Fresh doesn't affect life gained, the number of stars do. Last I checked, Fresh affects stamina (maybe?) and chance of getting felyne skills. I'm still getting used to the new systems from Tri. Thus far I've just been filling in all the "???" so I can make educated meals.

Right so to get your stamina bonuses you should just be able to mix and match fresh ingredients and still get health using stars. *shrug* youll get better ingredients soon anways.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"This is my 50th Abyssal Lagi and I've never died once haha. Whoever dies to Abyssal Lagi should uninstall."

*dies*

"$@#$*@ cheap spam lightning dragon rush ##$#$"

true story

Isn't there a glitch where gunners can hide in some rocks and keep shooting at Lagi but not get hurt by him?

Instro

Finally was able to put some serious time into the game today, as I'd been using most of my gaming time to clear up some other games. Beat down my first two large monsters today, figured out more about different mechanics, forged a laggi armor set and upgraded my weapon a few times. Quite a productive 7 hours...lol.

With regards to capturing, I got it done against the Arzuros for the quest but it seemed like the only way for my tranq bomb to work was to hit it in the face. Is that right, or should it work from anywhere if they are weakened enough?

Sanctuary

It's hard not to like a monster called Nibelsnarf. Awesome name.

Made me think of Fizgig.

5189430738_f0ec1c3e64.jpg

Two questions:

1. Is there an offline quest to capture a Rathalos? I am trying to make the sweet Baltzenger, but I need a second marrow. I got lucky and carved one from my first hunt, but the carve rate is below 20% and quite a bit higher for a capture.

2. I get that when a monster is drooling and limping, it's about ready to be captured, but what happens when it limps off of the screen? Even if you follow it directly (and more often than not somehow end up ahead of it...???) did it somehow regen enough so that it's not longer in the capture state? It never looks like it can be captured, so I end up beating on a for a bit again.

ramyeon

Made me think of Fizgig.

5189430738_f0ec1c3e64.jpg

Two questions:

1. Is there an offline quest to capture a Rathalos? I am trying to make the sweet Baltzenger, but I need a second marrow. I got lucky and carved one from my first hunt, but the carve rate is below 20% and quite a bit higher for a capture.

2. I get that when a monster is drooling and limping, it's about ready to be captured, but what happens when it limps off of the screen? Even if you follow it directly (and more often than not somehow end up ahead of it...???) did it somehow regen enough so that it's not longer in the capture state? It never looks like it can be captured, so I end up beating on a for a bit again.
You can capture in any quest.

And no they don't regen health when they change screen.

Ken

Isn't there a glitch where gunners can hide in some rocks and keep shooting at Lagi but not get hurt by him?

There is but the only point of that is to solo cheese kill him which seems to take 2 to 3 times longer to kill him than just going at him with 4. I average about 10 minutes per kill with a group of 4.

anyone solo Tanzia

I stopped when I found out they were tougher but I was beating them until I found out I was not support to go alone but I was HR1 at the time

I wonder if I could have still won a few in HR3 which I have been slowly going multi for

I hate carting

Doorman

Two questions:

1. Any quest that says "hunt" a whatever, means that you have the option to either capture or kill that monster. So yes, you can just take the same "hunt a Rathalos" mission you already have and just capture him at the end.

2. Drooling doesn't affect capture rate at all, just so you know, that just means that the monster is low on stamina. Now, that could technically help capturing ability because it means they'll stay in the trap longer, but that's hardly necessary. When a monster limps off to another area, unless it happens to do something to severely increase its depleted health, it should still be easily capture-capable. If you have something down to limping, it's fairly rare for it to run off and regain enough that it would rise back above the tranq threshold, unless you happen to leave it completely unattended for a long stretch of time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
>failed Plesioth quest

ZxJjkkS.jpg

I love how his hipcheck sends me flying even when we clearly don't connect. Dem hitboxes.

Doorman

>failed Plesioth quest

ZxJjkkS.jpg

I love how his hipcheck sends me flying even when we clearly don't connect. Dem hitboxes.

I was once standing behind a Plesioth who hipchecked in the direction opposite of me.

I was facing towards him, and blocking with my lance's shield. Went flying forward and through him. Yeaaah.....

Sanctuary

You can capture in any quest.

And no they don't regen health when they change screen.

So there's no downside to capturing on a hunt quest? I thought the objective was to kill them unless specified, and the rewards are less. Maybe I'm just thinking of free hunts?

edit: Nvm, just read Doorman's reply. Thanks (both of you), I guess I've been taking too long on the capture quests, because I think I failed once by dropping a trap too early and the monster wasn't tranq ready...even though it had been limping previously. Because of that, I'd just been beating them up until they were about to die. I find it kind of odd though that drooling doesn't affect capture since I'm pretty sure they told you that it did in the tutorial.

Napophis

Solo'd the HR5 quest that asks you to kill 30 sharq cause i needed a sharkskin. Killed about 15 of them with a harpoon before i got my skin and then mindlessly just killed the rest. There was also a Royal Ludroth there that i killed as i was farming for the skin. In the end i ended up with 3 skins.

Skins give you 190 resources, wonder if it wouldn't be a bad quest to farm in a group for the resource mats...

It significantly increases your chance of landing there on random map drops but you aren't guaranteed to go there. You can also get there without explorer if you're lucky.

I think you're mistaken. In my experience with Explorer you'll always land in the secret area as long as it's not low rank or a harvest tour. You're right about being able to get there without Explorer though.

ramyeon

So there's no downside to capturing on a hunt quest? I thought the objective was to kill them unless specified, and the rewards are less. Maybe I'm just thinking of free hunts?

edit: Nvm, just read Doorman's reply. Thanks (both of you), I guess I've been taking too long on the capture quests, because I think I failed once by dropping a trap too early and the monster wasn't tranq ready...even though it had been limping previously. Because of that, I'd just been beating them up until they were about to die. I find it kind of odd though that drooling doesn't affect capture since I'm pretty sure they told you that it did in the tutorial.
Forge 5 perception gems and use them in your armour to get the Capture Guru skill. If you paintball the monster it's dot will flash when it's ready for capture. I loved this, they're kinda like training wheels and you can stop using them when you get used to the tells monsters give when they're weak.

ryz

Ivory Lagiacrus is so easy. I wish regular Lagi was on land all the time.

It's like making a "tougher" version of Diablos that... never burrows. Don't remove his biggest strength, silly! Should've been reversed, imo. Very strange.

Haha, yes, exactly my thoughts! I was REALLY over-prepared for this quest because i thought a beefed up version of lagi underwater would be a nightmare.. and then he's on land only. Ended up using almost none of my items lol

Kind of disappointing for the "final" fight story-wise.

Ken

Haha, yes, exactly my thoughts! I was REALLY over-prepared for this quest because i thought a beefed up version of lagi underwater would be a nightmare.. and then he's on land only. Ended up using almost none of my items lol

Kind of disappointing for the "final" fight story-wise.

I. Lagi isn't land only; it just prefers land.

Liethe

I was once standing behind a Plesioth who hipchecked in the direction opposite of me.

I was facing towards him, and blocking with my lance's shield. Went flying forward and through him. Yeaaah.....
And keep in mind, this is with improved hitboxes. When Plesioth hipchecked you in first gen it was like an invisible brick building was thrown toward you alongside his own body.

Rize_21

The Barioth has the exact same attack,and it's really obvious when he's a shorter size,you have to learn to visualize a hitbox instead of relying on the monster's appearance.

I'm starting to get the hang of the arrow rain distance. Went back and fought Qurupeco and completely obliterated his ass. Had him stun locked, all drooling and shit from the jump.

So this is how you play bow

Ken

I'm starting to get the hang of the arrow rain distance. Went back and fought Qurupeco and completely obliterated his ass. Had him stun locked, all drooling and shit from the jump.

So this is how you play bow

Not online.

^you use normal attacks to build up your spirit gauge. That meter determines how many r attacks you can do. A full meter allows you to do a full r combo. Landing the final hit in the r combo levels your sword up one level.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not online.

^you use normal attacks to build up your spirit gauge. That meter determines how many r attacks you can do. A full meter allows you to do a full r combo. Landing the final hit in the r combo levels your sword up one level.

Are the levels permanent for that period or will it go down one rank after not using it for awhile?

Ken

Are the levels permanent for that period or will it go down one rank after not using it for awhile?

They go down slowly. If you can't get a full combo off after awhile, your sword will go to the previous level.

Max rank is purple.

Protip fade slash (x+a) op

Proprotip landing the final r on any monster will rank up, so hitting a stray rhenoplos will still move you up a rank

Antiwhippy

They go down slowly. If you can't get a full combo off after awhile, your sword will go to the previous level.

Max rank is purple.

Protip fade slash (x+a) op

Proprotip landing the final r on any monster will rank up, so hitting a stray rhenoplos will still move you up a rank

Alright, awesome. Love the diversity of the weapons.

Ken

So any tips on cutting rathian's tail with the long sword?

You attack it a lot? If it's not downed, running X(?) does a vertical slash which should reach the tail. Otherwise I'd just try to knock it down by hitting its legs and then go for a spirit combo on the tall if playing solo.

There's no real secret to cutting or breaking stuff. You just need to do x amount of specific damage type to target zone, whether it be cutting or impact.

Antiwhippy

Alright.

Was just having a hard time doing it with the hammer due to the huge lag time on the first hit, so I thought the LS might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom