• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxy

So are Great Swords even worth caring about offline prior to crit draw and possibly fast charge/fast sheathe? I can do "okay" with it on the slower moving enemies, but it doesn't seem like it can do shit against something like Diablos or even a Rathian (who is very easy by comparison). I mean, I can spam combos all day while cowering underneath them and kill them, but trying to go for a tail or face cut? Hah. Maybe I'll get two good swipes in every five minutes. A level 3 charge on a specific body part? No fucking way. They say that to get good with this weapon you have to be "predictive" of the monster's movements, but sometimes they are entirely too random for that on top of simply being way too fast. I'm not sure if having the two Shakalaka partners are worth bringing along either because they constantly reposition the monster right before I'm about to land a hit.

So far I have the most luck using the Longsword, but apparently people hate it online due to the wide swings hitting other players, so I'm trying to find a weapon that is decent for group play.

By the time you fight a Diablos you should be able to get Fast Charge from the Lagiacrus set. Up to getting that I had no problems killing monsters with GS. For the higher level stuff it really helps to have one of those skills. I'm at HR5 and still only have Fast Charge, so with just that one you can get by just fine. Without Fast Charge I just try to get as many cheap shots in as possible before getting out of there, even if it's just a draw attack.

Diablos shouldn't be too big a problem without any of the skills though. He's pretty obvious about most of his moves. Level three charges without fast charge you can't really do without him being toppled, trapped or stunned. So bring some sonic bombs and break his face.

About the predictive thing, I felt Brachy was pretty random, but after a while you learn to read him like a book and it's more a matter of time than difficulty. This has applied to all monsters so far for me. Some do have cheap, lightning reflexes where all you can really do is block or dive out of it.

Kyzon

I've been wondering how feesible it is to duo (with 2 cats of course) G rank. I'm playing with my brother so obviously we'll never be able to play online together at the same time but will it be possible to do the harder things in G Rank with just 2 people, we managed fine against Green Plesi and Quropeco (HR6).

I've solo'd a few missions on G rank. Accidentally went into the multi port when I was trying to go into solo. Takes a while, but it's doable.

Ghost23

Yes it is fine. I just ordered a CPP for the xl from playasia and it works perfectly. Goddamn thing needs an AAA battery wtf...

How much was it for you after shipping? I might as well order it from amazon if I'll get it by Wednesday instead of Playasia's "up to 21 days" "no tracking" shipping.

My "Rathian Sized" Azuros

Not counting wingspan, this thing's body looks to be the same as a Rath

sKzSGtB.jpg

Nice, I fought a crown Jaggi that was bigger than a Qurupeco yesterday. I wonder how big duramboros get.

Sanctuary

By the time you fight a Diablos you should be able to get Fast Charge from the Lagiacrus set. Up to getting that I had no problems killing monsters with GS. For the higher level stuff it really helps to have one of those skills. I'm at HR5 and still only have Fast Charge, so with just that one you can get by just fine. Without Fast Charge I just try to get as many cheap shots in as possible before getting out of there, even if it's just a draw attack.

I don't have problems killing with it either. What I have problems with is feeling like I'm not actually using it to it's fullest (charges), nor am I having much luck with breaking parts. I had already thought about the traps, and tried it out to see. Yeah, with two traps you can get a few full charges off, but it seems like so much more busywork compared to what you can do with a Longsword or Lance.

The hit and run method just doesn't really make it worthwhile. I can do that with the Longsword much easier, because it's a lot more mobile and once you build up the spirit meter, it has a pretty big advantage over the Great Sword for non charge attacks. At least right now anyway. I'll try putting taunt on both of my partners and see how that goes. I tried using a sonic bomb, but nothing happened against Diablos. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be directly in front of his face like with a flash bomb, but that doesn't make much sense if so.

Kyzon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53882739]Nice, I fought a crown Jaggi that was bigger than a Qurupeco yesterday. I wonder how big duramboros get.[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to see a large duramboros @___@
I haven't seen a crown Jaggi yet.. I don't think I have.
My first green Nargacuga was huge, but not even crown material @__@

Speaking of which, I'm almost done with my Green Narga Armor. Anyone who's G-Rank want to quickly do a few runs of the Giant Azuros /w baby quest so I can get my crushing fang?

Fewr

So are Great Swords even worth caring about offline prior to crit draw and possibly fast charge/fast sheathe? I can do "okay" with it on the slower moving enemies, but it doesn't seem like it can do shit against something like Diablos or even a Rathian (who is very easy by comparison). I mean, I can spam combos all day while cowering underneath them and kill them, but trying to go for a tail or face cut? Hah. Maybe I'll get two good swipes in every five minutes. A level 3 charge on a specific body part? No fucking way. They say that to get good with this weapon you have to be "predictive" of the monster's movements, but sometimes they are entirely too random for that on top of simply being way too fast. I'm not sure if having the two Shakalaka partners are worth bringing along either because they constantly reposition the monster right before I'm about to land a hit.

So far I have the most luck using the Longsword, but apparently people hate it online due to the wide swings hitting other players, so I'm trying to find a weapon that is decent for group play.

I haven't done Diablos in a while, but I remember when it goes underground turn around and wait for it to go back up, dodge when he does, then quickly go behind and do one or two X strikes to the tail.

EDIT: Rathian is SUPER easy with long sword, strike after somersaults, strike when fireballs are thrown, strike (carefully) when it's twirling around, strike after it somes running at you and misses.

How close am I to being done Moga Village? I am about to fight Volvidon for the first time (Walk 'n' Roll) in the 5 star section.

I really love this game, but I want a break from it for a while before I fully commit to the multiplayer section, hahaha.

Kyzon

How close am I to being done Moga Village? I am about to fight Volvidon for the first time (Walk 'n' Roll) in the 5 star section.

I really love this game, but I want a break from it for a while before I fully commit to the multiplayer section, hahaha.

About the half way mark :p It goes to 9 star.

muu

Finally made my Lucent Narga heavy bowgun yesterday. Shoots like a dream, but now that I'm used to the curves that the caedeus gun provides I'm having trouble aiming straight, lol.

Fewr

After volvidon you'll do aknator or whatever it is called, then ceadeus and you'll finally reach High Rank (that's where I'm at).

I feel very comfortable in multiplayer now that I have plenty of potions, traps, meat, whetstones, honey and different weapons / armor depending on what people want to do.

Are you complaining because the game is too fun for too long?

The game is too long, yes (the single player, not the multiplayer). Not gonna lie. I really wish they would have just cut the single player in half and put more content into the multiplayer portion. The game is amazing, but 200+ hours for single player, when the first 100 hours is as easy as it is, is a bit too much.

Mileena

Banned
The game is too long, yes (the single player, not the multiplayer). Not gonna lie. I really wish they would have just cut the single player in half and put more content into the multiplayer portion. The game is amazing, but 200+ hours for single player, when the first 100 hours is as easy as it is, is a bit too much.

Then just stop playing boring ass SP and go online where the game shines? I got to like 4* village and said fuck it, this isn't fun, I'm going online and never looked back.

Mileena

Banned
You're right, sorry. Your last post implies tons of enjoyment. Keep truckin on that super fun single player!

Anyway I'm about to get online, doubt there's any GAF lobbies up :/

Kyzon

You're right, sorry. Your last post implies tons of enjoyment. Keep truckin on that super fun single player!

Anyway I'm about to get online, doubt there's any GAF lobbies up :/

Mileena, I'll make a room.

Kyzgaf in the usual place

Edit: Anyone can join. If nobody does by the time I go do this quest, I'll just go play with randoms.

More Editing: nvm Mileena joined, I'm an impatient jerk, lol

DaBoss

I either suck or G-Rank is showing me where my place is. Just faced a G-Rank Pink Rathian got carted twice, and took about 37 min to kill it. I was using a fully upgraded Rusted Hammer, forgot what it is called. I'm also using a Helios X set.

Kyzon

I either suck or G-Rank is showing me where my place is. Just faced a G-Rank Pink Rathian got carted twice, and took about 37 min to kill it. I was using a fully upgraded Rusted Hammer, forgot what it is called. I'm also using a Helios X set.

G-Rank tells you to bow down!

Go do the Deserted Island Dustup ;)

I swear that is one of the funnest ones

Mupod

Just unlocked Dire Miralis.

Does he have dragon attacks or just fire? And I'm gonna guess he's weak to dragon, although the Brady guide has no entry for him.

I'd like to get this done tonight, I'm not expecting much out of random urgent rooms so I might be back looking for GAF help at some point. I think I'll just try and solo it once actually, if I fail at least I'll learn something.

Fistwell

How much did you upgrade it? I think it's around 480 defense at lvl1. I'd upgrade it to at least 540-ish to be comfortable in Grank (I'm a wimp like that). It's not particularly strong to fire either, although you can probably fix that with food buff.

Does he have dragon attacks or just fire? And I'm gonna guess he's weak to dragon, although the Brady guide has no entry for him.
No dragon elmt attack as far as I remember. No clue as to what it's weak to but dragon does sound like a safe bet. He's fairly easy in a good group, he can be a nightmare otherwise. GLHF!! :D

DaBoss

How much did you upgrade it? I think it's around 480 defense at lvl1. I'd upgrade it to at least 540-ish to be comfortable in Grank (I'm a wimp like that). It's not particularly strong to fire either, although you can probably fix that with food buff.

I only had 2 heavy spheres, so I upgraded 2 parts once. It is currently at 495 defense.

Think I need an extended break

I was doing the first Duramboros of the double Duramboros quest and I was thinking, "Fucking hell. How long is this going to take?" Checked the timer and it had only been 6 MINUTES

C.Dark.DN

Banned

About the half way mark :p It goes to 9 star.
Holy shit! I thought I was almost done. I just beat Volvidon and got the water mask thing at 72 hours played. I'm HR 3.

I'm trying to figure out what I should be focusing on at this point. I mostly want to play online with my friend rather than put a lot of time in offline.

He's HR3 and dual blades also. We can duo quite a few of the HR2 monsters. We haven't tried any HR3 yet.

I'd like to get an armor set and a better weapon, but I don't know what to go with. I was going to go with the Diablos Bashers, but we haven't been able to get a tailcase yet.

This is my current gear:
Snow Slicers+ 182
Rathian Helm
Barroth Mail
Lagiacrus Bracers
Barroth Helm
Gobul Greaves
(237 res)

Looks matter to me a lot and I'm not sure If I have unlocked what set I want to farm. I'm pretty nooby.

Fewr

Think I need an extended break

I was doing the first Duramboros of the double Duramboros quest and I was thinking, "Fucking hell. How long is this going to take?" Checked the timer and it had only been 6 MINUTES

Haha you need a break. How many hours does the file say you've played?

Ultratech

Just unlocked Dire Miralis.

I'd like to get this done tonight, I'm not expecting much out of random urgent rooms so I might be back looking for GAF help at some point. I think I'll just try and solo it once actually, if I fail at least I'll learn something.

I'd get some Fire Resist for his damn Meteors/Fireballs. (Though frankly, you should run like hell when the Meteors pop up.)

He's REALLY weak to Dragon, but in lieu of that, Ice works good too.

Main thing to do is try and attack his glowing weakspots (tail, arms, chest, etc.).
Definitely DON'T get in front of him. The arm spots can be pretty tough to get to unless you're underwater.
Only go after the chest spot if he gets knocked down. If you're ranged, then it's not that big of an issue.

There's also some Ballistas and 2 Dragonators (one on land, another in the water). I'd use the Ballistas to try and break his chest/belly.

Another thing that can help is while underwater, you can disable his "wings" if you hit them hard enough. (This will stop them from spewing fireballs from above for a bit, but it's not permanent.)

Isn't that from popping his shoulder pimples? Wings bounce at most sharpnesses too. ;_;

Nah, they're separate. The wings will reactivate after a certain amount of time. (Or some other condition; they will be back.)
And yeah, the Wings are very hard. You definitely need something that can bypass bouncing.

Fistwell

Another thing that can help is while underwater, you can disable his "wings" if you hit them hard enough. (This will stop them from spewing fireballs from above for a bit, but it's not permanent.)
Isn't that from popping his shoulder pimples? Wings bounce at most sharpnesses too. ;_;

Anyways, stopping that damn meteor rain is a relief whichever way you do it.

Fewr

I haven't had any problem with single player (I just got started in 6 star quests, and I've played for 100hrs). I like multiplayer to farm things I have already beaten several times in single payer.

Although, for any genre I prefer single player to multi, so that's probably why I don't mind.

Mupod

Alright, off to solo Dire Miralis with the power of rock. Stygian Zinogre guitar should be ideal for this kind of thing.

So are Great Swords even worth caring about offline prior to crit draw and possibly fast charge/fast sheathe? I can do "okay" with it on the slower moving enemies, but it doesn't seem like it can do shit against something like Diablos or even a Rathian (who is very easy by comparison). I mean, I can spam combos all day while cowering underneath them and kill them, but trying to go for a tail or face cut? Hah.

It's quite possible to run for a quick tail slash when the shakalakas are around. Rathian is easyish; Diablos requires more practice and sonic bombs for easier horn breakage. Throw the bomb so that it goes off right as his tail disappears.

I've come to the conclusion that I have the best success with LS, GS and hammer hit-and-run tactics, and that I absolutely need quick sheathing in my life. No idea how to do that yet, as the low- and high-rank armors that have it seem to be rather poor otherwise. I've tried the gunlance a couple of times, and while it is kind of interesting, I had a really tough time adjusting to the movement. My fingers also don't want to use blocking after so much running and dodging.

Sand Barioth was a pain until I resigned myself to the aforementioned hit-and-run game. Luckily he doesn't have that much health, so it's a quick fight. That tornado move is BS; you pretty much have to have your weapon sheathed in order to make a superman dive when he jumps at you. I suppose a regular dodge would do it with ninja timing (or evasion+).

Haha you need a break. How many hours does the file say you've played?

I started my first character, played for 18h and realized I was on a cursed table so I started a new dude (my main) which I have 71h on. Then I thought I'd make a bow user which I'm realizing isn't really my forte, especially underwater *shudder*

Now that I'm back to my main dude I'm kind of burnt out. Sucks because I know that I still have a lot to go, haven't fought Zinogre or Nargacuga yet.

I do this same shit making 3 different files then playing half the game so often I'm surprised I haven't caught onto it and stopped myself yet.

Fistwell

Now that I'm back to my main dude I'm kind of burnt out. Sucks because I know that I still have a lot to go, haven't fought Zinogre or Nargacuga yet.
NA or EU? A decent online group can give you a quick tour of high rank in just a cple of hours.

Sadly, I'm offline. I might be getting a Wii U soon though
Oh well. If you do get one and want to see the sights, don't hesitate to let us know!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I started my first character, played for 18h and realized I was on a cursed table so I started a new dude (my main) which I have 71h on. Then I thought I'd make a bow user which I'm realizing isn't really my forte, especially underwater *shudder*

I do this same shit making 3 different files then playing half the game so often I'm surprised I haven't caught onto it and stopped myself yet.

I thought your characters aren't affected by stats? Do you have to make a character specific for the weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom