• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

MH3U is the first game in the series I've played.

I just hit the 40 hour mark last night on my 3DS. I know that isn't shit compared to what some of you have, but man, did that 40 hours go by real quick.

Finally made a set of Barroth armor with the mace weapon too. Looking forward to moving onto some other quests now in the four star range.

Is the bear-like creature's armor and Quirepico (sp?) armor worth farming for?
I recommend the Wroggi armor (cowboy). It was very useful for me. (I use long sword btw)

Ultratech

Guess I'm gonna try and upgrade my Demolition Axe, though it's not much of an upgrade (like +50 more attack and a little bit more Purple Sharpness with Sharpness +1).

Also managed to carve a Lagia Pallium from the I.Lagi/Gobul quest earlier today. Then I guess I got d/c'd or something, and I couldn't abandon the quest (Pallium!), and dying wasn't that great of an option. So I wrecked me a G-Rank Gobul solo.

Towards the end, I was gonna trap him, but some friggin' Ludroth hit me after I laid my Shock Trap, then Gobul hit me and stunned me. Of course, he hit the trap and I couldn't do shit. :|

Still managed to kill him though. Good thing it didn't take too long.

On the plus side, I can finally get my Ceadeed Axe with its wicked 1242 Attack and quite a bit of Purple Sharpness (w/Sharpness +1). :D

3 hammer users. Final Destination.
Everybody fliying around

Yeah...I hate hammer users this time around. Get sent flying EVERY time there's one around.
Really annoying.

Neki

Finally took down Jhen. Using the binder helped so, so much. Killed it even though I accidentally missed with the first Dragonator. Thank you guide! Got him in the last 5 minutes or so. I can see how it could be a fun fight in multiplayer with people taking on multiple rolls, but I'm just not fond of the battle as a singleplayer fight.

Oh, and Plesioth, despite being a creepy fish dragon thing, has a surprisingly cute sleeping animation.

Also, I totally didn't notice that Volvidon is totally an Arzuros mod the first time around. They definitely did a good job making them fight different, but I don't know how I missed all the similar animations and whatnot before.

Fighting Jhen in single player is relaxing to me. There's no real threat of dying, and he's not very threatening, it's just a slow 30 minute fight, you kill stuff very methodically.

Hoodbury

Um. So does Crazy Lucky Cat remove my ability to carve after a hunt? I used it on the Jhen fight thinking "sure, more money", and the game skipped right to the rewards screen after I killed him.

Also, desire sensor has given me 4 Earth Dragongems and no Elder Dragonbloods in the last 5 kills. -_-

Are you sure you didn't just repel him?

Santiako

I killed Ceadeus and Jhen on my first try offline. I don't repel, I slaughter!

Edit: How do you skip the "kill" cinematic cutscene on the 3DS? My wife says it's not the start button.

With the Kick/special attack button on the touch screen, it actually changes to "SKIP" when you can skip something.

DaBoss

I killed Ceadeus and Jhen on my first try offline. I don't repel, I slaughter!

Edit: How do you skip the "kill" cinematic cutscene on the 3DS? My wife says it's not the start button.

The "Kick" button turns into the Skip button. It is above the virtual D-Pad with the default touchscreen settings.

EDIT: Beaten.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Holy shit! I thought I was almost done. I just beat Volvidon and got the water mask thing at 72 hours played. I'm HR 3.

I'm trying to figure out what I should be focusing on at this point. I mostly want to play online with my friend rather than put a lot of time in offline.

He's HR3 and dual blades also. We can duo quite a few of the HR2 monsters. We haven't tried any HR3 yet.

I'd like to get an armor set and a better weapon, but I don't know what to go with. I was going to go with the Diablos Bashers, but we haven't been able to get a tailcase yet.

This is my current gear:
Snow Slicers+ 182
Rathian Helm
Barroth Mail
Lagiacrus Bracers
Barroth Helm
Gobul Greaves
(237 res)

Looks matter to me a lot and I'm not sure If I have unlocked what set I want to farm. I'm pretty nooby.
Like someone else said you should probably look up armor skills - combining Armor into proper sets will activate certain skills that will help you a lot.

eg. Wroggi set has negate poison which is super handy... Rhenoplos has a Knockout skill along with Negate Mud/Snow (useful for fighting Barroth/Barioth etc to avoid snowman/mudball status). The armors have stuff like Windproofing, Current Resistance, Attack Ups, etc.

Haunted

The G-Rank HR7 Urgent (2 Brachydios) is actually pretty tough. Pretty much game over for me with my gunlance when I get slimed on (as I can't defend anymore).

Will try with a longsword once more.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Faced Brachy for the first time tonight, so sugoi. (Sugoi means "格好いい")

Lenardo

Banned
i'm just starting the rank 3 quests offline

completed the first "set" of 1 star and 2 star, picked up 2 more 2 star quests and starting the 3 star quests

got a full set of jaggi armor for a dual blades user, i am using jaggi shotel's currently. i got rid of all my other weapon

had trouble with the capture the honeybadger dude due to forgetting to tranq him after trapping

getting back into the mode of fighting monster hunter style and doing decently

i do not think i have "died" once but i only have ~12hrs into the game so far- so i expect that to change.

however so far i have not found a monster i cannot beat-

i got the trap on the honeybadger and finished the quest in like 5 minutes.

moowear

Not sure if this has been answered but going into a battle with a monster weak to fire, would it be better if I go in with

1. a weapon that has ice BUT has atk of 912 or

2. weapon has fire but has atk of only 620.

Guess the question is, does the number represent raw power and in this scenario, better to go with the ice weapon?

DaBoss

Not sure if this has been answered but going into a battle with a monster weak to fire, would it be better if I go in with

1. a weapon that has ice BUT has atk of 912 or

2. weapon has fire but has atk of only 620.

Guess the question is, does the number represent raw power and in this scenario, better to go with the ice weapon?

Depends on how much fire atk it has.

Ken

g rank world is 1000/1000

methinks we need more worlds

They grow up so fast.

That's affinity correct? It has 0. ice has 15% which doesn't matter in a fire fight right?

How much raw and fire attack does one weapon have and how much raw and ice attack does the other have. Although without knowing Ultimate's damage formula it might be hard to tell.

Duramboros armor looks bad ass, just crafted a set. Just make sure to mine the tail once you first break it and then carve the drop. Took me four fights to get the tail bone required for the waist piece buuuuuuut I didn't know what I was doing the first two fights and was trying to cut his tail off with sword and shield, then longsword.

DaBoss

That's affinity correct? It has 0. ice has 15% which doesn't matter in a fire fight right?

Affinity is the percentage chance of an attack doing 25% more damage, that isn't the elemental attack.

When you check your equipment or status, it should say Element and then FI which indicates it has a fire elemental attack. The number beside that is what the elemental attack is.

moowear

How much raw and fire attack does one weapon have and how much raw and ice attack does the other have. Although without knowing Ultimate's damage formula it might be hard to tell.

Affinity is the percentage chance of an attack doing 25% more damage, that isn't the elemental attack.

When you check your equipment or status, it should say Element and then FI which indicates it has a fire elemental attack. The number beside that is what the elemental attack is.

Oh duh, just saw where it says the fire atk number..100.

1. 620 raw fire@100

2. 912 raw, ice@210

Just hit HR4, ended up capturing Bracy twice for someone else in the group. Question: do slime weapons automatically do more damage than elemental weapons (assuming you're using the correct one for a given monster's weakness)? After two runs I have enough mats to make the dual swords.

Thanks!

L Thammy

Thanks guys. one is a longsword, the other a great sword. I'm indifferent to using either.

Awesome, thanks again! will go with the gs!

Greatswords are built towards having high raw damage, not so much elemental damage. Element matters more for longswords.

Ken

Just hit HR4, ended up capturing Bracy twice for someone else in the group. Question: do slime weapons automatically do more damage than elemental weapons (assuming you're using the correct one for a given monster's weakness)? After two runs I have enough mats to make the dual swords.

Thanks!

Just a guess but I think damage-wise fast elemental weapons will deal more damage over time than a slime weapon that's only proccing the explosion every x+n amount of hits. On the other hand slime explosions are nice for breaking parts and stagger, and generally work well against any monster.

DaBoss

Thanks guys. one is a longsword, the other a great sword. I'm indifferent to using either.

Awesome, thanks again! will go with the gs!

Well I'm assuming the fire weapon is the long sword, in which case I would go for that. You will get a lot more attacks in with that so it should make up for the lack of higher raw damage.

On the other hand slime explosions are nice for breaking parts and stagger, and generally work well against any monster.

Even against Bracy himself? My other weapons are waaaay lower damage if you count the slime, but without the slime I'd be better off using them.

So there are HR specific sets?

Do they just unlock over time?

You'll see them at the blacksmith as you kill HR monsters. HR monsters have different loot tables too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom