• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensui-tomo

It's funnier when taken as a continuation. A proud proclamation seguing into pleading.

And the manual... I GUESS that's better than RE6's if it's 6 pages, but if that's the size I'll just stick with digital, especially with the Wii points (don't want to take chances if it's NOT automated for anything but Nintendo Land.)

... Man, and just last year Capcom re-embraced decent sized color manuals too.
Well the manual is in color, just very short. Thank goodness the lobby has a beginners spot, I need to get back into speed with this game, I'm very rusty.

Proven

Wait, is the manual at least like Tri's where they include a movelist with pictures for each weapon?

At six pages, I guess not...

So I'm trying to get into the gunlance and trying to compare it against the lance so correct me if I'm wrong.

Is the gunlance a shorter version of the lance without a counter move? Does it make up for it with higher damage or is there some other benefit to using one over a regular lance?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait, I can't dodge out of the way while consuming a health potion? What bullshit is this?

EDIT: And I am sick of fighting right on the edge of a zoneboundary where the anination of an attack can carry me through and into a different area

EDIT EDIT: The "tap L to center monster" thing isn't working. I'm still spending all of my time trying to find the damn dude while he runs circles around me. I can't SEE what I'm fighting!

Still undecided if I'm picking up an physical or digital copy on WiiU/3DS. >_<

BTW I tried the light bowgun and got the hang of it around halfway through the 20 minutes but ended up failing lol.

Beats

IGN's video review was really good. Got hyped after watching it, seriously can't wait to start playing.

Yeah, same here. I played the demo a bunch already, but seeing the visual bump in other areas got me hype. I didn't really notice how much better it was till I popped Tri back in.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm trying to get into the gunlance and trying to compare it against the lance so correct me if I'm wrong.

Is the gunlance a shorter version of the lance without a counter move? Does it make up for it with higher damage or is there some other benefit to using one over a regular lance?

Gunlance = limited melee set when compared to the lance, can shoot stuff. I do believe that generally, gunlances are weaker than lances when it comes to melee, I THINK. I hardly use gunlances, so I don't remember most of them to begin with.

Wait, I can't dodge out of the way while consuming a health potion? What bullshit is this?

EDIT: And I am sick of fighting right on the edge of a zoneboundary where the anination of an attack can carry me through and into a different area

We are getting a lot of new guys playing this, arent we? :p

No, you cant dodge out of the way. Make sure you're well clear of anything before you use any items, or far enough to actually use an item before something smashes into you. Also, in case you didn't know, you can actually use items when you have the Sword and Shield drawn (unlike the other weapons).

4Scarr

Banned
Manual is digital just like all other wii u games

QUOTE=Proven;50515107]Wait, is the manual at least like Tri's where they include a movelist with pictures for each weapon?

At six pages, I guess not...[/QUOTE]

Gunlance = limited melee set when compared to the lance, can shoot stuff. I do believe that generally, gunlances are weaker than lances when it comes to melee, I THINK. I hardly use gunlances, so I don't remember most of them to begin with.

Oh I didn't realise you could actually shoot things - assumed the shells were just to boost your melee combos or whatever.

EDIT: And I am sick of fighting right on the edge of a zone boundary where the anination of an attack can carry me through and into a different area

EDIT EDIT: The "tap L to center monster" thing isn't working. I'm still spending all of my time trying to find the damn dude while he runs circles around me

You are supposed to wait for the perfect chance were you are able to consume a potion, or make a chance yourself by using other items like Flash Bombs.

EDIT EDIT: The "tap L to center monster" thing isn't working. I'm still spending all of my time trying to find the damn dude while he runs circles around me. I can't SEE what I'm fighting!
Are you mocking people who try to play this game and suck at it, or is this a genuine post? ;-)

Lances still offer better damage output compared to its cousin, and better blocking/countering ability. GL are still good, though.

Kyoufu

You have to press ZR to select the monster you want it to focus on. Once selected, you can press L to snap the camera to the monster.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I didn't realise you could actually shoot things - assumed the shells were just to boost your melee combos or whatever.

Yeah... the weapon isn't really something most novices should use, I personally believe.

Other notable features:
-Wyvern Fire attack, sort of a huge ass blast that causes massive damage, but there's a cooldown period, so you can't use it a lot.

-Regular shots use up the sharpness of the weapon, so make sure you bring lots of whetstones.

The Technomancer

You have to press ZR to select the monster you want it to focus on. Once selected, you can press L to snap the camera to the monster.

I'm playing the 3DS version. And I think all of my problems come from camera controls. Because of the camera I only know where the monster is 30% of the time. Because of that I get blindsided by attacks all the time. Because of that I get blindsided by attacks while I'm trying to drink a potion to get my health back. Because of that I spend the vast majority of the fight just trying to locate the guy I'm trying to kill, and if I'm lucky I find him and manage to land like two hits before he dashes off at some odd angle a hundred yards away and its time to start over. And just when I think I'm getting him weak, whoop, TIMES UP

I really really really want to like this. But I can't see shit

We are getting a lot of new guys playing this, arent we? :p

No, you cant dodge out of the way. Make sure you're well clear of anything before you use any items, or far enough to actually use an item before something smashes into you. Also, in case you didn't know, you can actually use items when you have the Sword and Shield drawn (unlike the other weapons).
How are you supposed to use bombs then? If I try to lay one close to him, he attacks me. If I lay one far from him safely the bomb blows up in like 0.5 seconds, before he has a chance to lunge towards me

Kyoufu

I'm playing the 3DS version. And I think all of my problems come from camera controls. Because of the camera I only know where the monster is 30% of the time. Because of that I get blindsided by attacks all the time. Because of that I get blindsided by attacks while I'm trying to drink a potion to get my health back. Because of that I spend the vast majority of the fight just trying to locate the guy I'm trying to kill, and if I'm lucky I find him and manage to land like two hits before he dashes off at some odd angle a hundred yards away and its time to start over. And just when I think I'm getting him weak, whoop, TIMES UP

I suggest a circle pad pro. I wouldn't touch the game without it on 3DS.

How are you supposed to use bombs then? If I try to lay one close to him, he attacks me. If I lay one far from him safely the bomb blows up in like 0.5 seconds, before he has a chance to lunge towards me

Bombs are typically supposed to be used when the monster is incapacitated, ie: sleeping, paralyzed, trapped. It's not meant to be used in the heat of battle.

The Technomancer

Okay, someone tell me why lock-on would be bad. I've gotten this idea that MH Fans think that the last thing the series needs is a lock on mechanic, but right now as I try to beat the giant bunny who leaps all around the arena at odd angles I'm really not seeing it

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

How are you supposed to use bombs then? If I try to lay one close to him, he attacks me. If I lay one far from him safely the bomb blows up in like 0.5 seconds before he has a chance to lunge towards me

What I normally do is look at the mini-map (zoom it in for a better view). When you're fighting the big guys, you can tell which direction you and the monster are facing, and just rotate the camera accordingly.

As for the bombs, you either have to guess when they'll be in the right spot, use them when they start acting tired (they'll start stopping more frequently), and the better method is to trap them first/put them to sleep/paralyze them, then bomb away.

Bombs are typically supposed to be used when the monster is incapacitated, ie: sleeping, paralyzed, trapped. It's not meant to be used in the heat of battle.

Unless you're doing a mad bomber run, which is hilarious. Four people, one monster, everyone uses only bombs and healing items, nothing else.

Ken

Use the "lock-on" function helps alleviates those frustrations. Also, knowing when you're safe to use a potion is one of those things you just learn.

I usually only use bombs in specific set ups like sleep bombing where you get the monster to fall asleep and then set a bunch of bombs on weak points and blow them up.

DaBoss

lol, thought it would work.

Okay, someone tell me why lock-on would be bad. I've gotten this idea that MH Fans think that the last thing the series needs is a lock on mechanic, but right now as I try to beat the giant bunny who leaps all around the arena at odd angles I'm really not seeing it

Different parts to target, and you don't want your movement hindered by being fixated locked-on. Generally, you do want to keep the monster on screen at all times, however, you will not want it to be in the center of the screen all of the time.

Term should be "Target Cam" for what is in MH3U.

Target camera is very useful in that fight. Lock on would be vomit inducing, especially with the faster moving big monsters.

The Technomancer

In that case can someone describe to me in detail how I get this "tap L to center monster" thing to work? I thought I had it by changing something in the options (I never found the touchscreen button one guy was talking about) but it only seemed to work once out of every six times I tried it, and every other time it was "rotate to some weird view -> SUDDENLY RABBIT FROM BEHIND"

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Man, if you new guys are complaining about the camera and the inability to lock-on, you're not gonna enjoy your first Diablos fight at all.

Not at all.

Lots of swearing and crying. Possibly a lot of controller throwing.

Santiako

In that case can someone describe to me in detail how I get this "tap L to center monster" thing to work? I thought I had it by changing something in the options (I never found the touchscreen button one guy was talking about) but it only seemed to work once out of every six times I tried it, and every other time it was "rotate to some weird view -> SUDDENLY RABBIT FROM BEHIND"

When you start the demo, you'll see a button on the touch screen with a ? on it, once the monster sees you, that ? turns into the monster icon, tap that to activate the target cam. Once activated you can tap L once to center the camera on the monster.

Busaiku

Man, if you new guys are complaining about the camera and the inability to lock-on, you're not gonna enjoy your first Diablos fight at all.

Not at all.

Maybe I should cancel my order before I'm out of 3DSs.

Ken

On the touch screen there should be a square thing, and when the monster is "aggro'd," its thumbnail shows up inside the square. Tap it and you get a reticule over it meaning that's who you want the camera to center on whenever you press L.

Remember that it only focuses your camera on the monster and not your character, so you'll still have to move your guy in the monster's direction manually, if that's what you want. It's a nice way to always have the monster in view.

This is how I've used it (3DS).

Once the "boss" monster sees you, click the monster button on the touchscreen and a reticle will go around it. Now whenever you press L the target will snap to the monster instead of directly behind you.

The Technomancer

Not at all.

I just want to see what I'm fighting. In a game that seems to be all about reading attack cues I cannot time dodging out of the way if I have no idea when the attack from behind is going to ram into me

EDIT: Okay, thanks guys, I'll give that a try

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
When you start the demo, you'll see a button on the touch screen with a ? on it, once the monster sees you, that ? turns into the monster icon, tap that to activate the target cam. Once activated you can tap L once to center the camera on the monster.

Is that a new thing? I know tap L will swing the camera to point in the direction that your guy is facing.

I just want to see what I'm fighting. In a game that seems to be all about reading attack cues I cannot time dodging out of the way if I have no idea when the attack from behind is going to ram into me

EDIT: Okay, thanks guys, I'll give that a try

Yeaaah... that's what I was getting at. You're not gonna see him coming most of the time. Even if Capcom gave us true auto-lockon... you're not gonna see him coming. I'd spoil it, but I'm assuming a LOT of new people are trying this game, so, you guys should enjoy the first fight blind.

Pineconn

On Wii U, simply press ZR to toggle the target cam on or off (the monster has to see you). You will hear a sound effect when it toggles; the default setting is off. Then just press L whenever you want to focus on the monster. You can double tap L to focus the camera straight ahead.

On 3DS, tap the icon on the bottom right of the touch screen (again, the monster has to see you). Everything else applies.

Silly Amaster. :)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, wait, Orayn just told me that in the real game you get fifty minutes to kill this guy?

That may seem a long time, but believe me, for some monsters, that just barely enough.

EDIT: We need to get some Monster Hunter etiquette listed in the OP. Like "Greatsword upswing = FROWNED UPON, hilarious, but FROWNED UPON"

The Technomancer

That may seem a long time, but believe me, for some monsters, that just barely enough.

Yeah but killing this rabbit in twenty minutes seems impossible, especially if I'm not constantly taking damage by putting myself in risky situations to constantly get in hits

Not at all.

1) Punish Draw / Exhaust S
2) Sonic and Flash Bomb spam (maybe a trap or two as well)
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom