• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

From what I hear, Lance has the more consistent damage, while Gunlance has more burst potential. The Wyvern Fire ignores armor and is the equivalent of some variety of barrel bomb with its exact strength determined by your ammo, for example

Santiako

Yeah but killing this rabbit in twenty minutes seems impossible, especially if I'm not constantly taking damage by putting myself in risky situations to constantly get in hits

You can easily kill it in 4-5 minutes once you get the hang of it. I kill it in about 5-6 and the demo is my first MonHun.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but killing this rabbit in twenty minutes seems impossible, especially if I'm not constantly taking damage by putting myself in risky situations to constantly get in hits

Well, to be fair, you DO get weapon/armor upgrades, so its very easy to whittle down that time. You don't really have the best weapon possible in the demo, so its understandable that it would take quite some time to actually kill the thing.

Again, believe me, with the right weapons and skill, there's gonna be monsters that took you over 30 minutes to kill, that you will now be able to slaughter in 5 minutes. Not ALL monsters, mind you, just some.

Emitan

I can do it in 10 minutes. It's not really that hard once you understand the basics. Understanding the basics can take a while though! It's a tough series.

DaBoss

You need to have patience with this game. You will get better times as you get better in the game. You will understand how to fight it the more you fight it. Many people got sub-10 minutes facing Lagombi, and some sub-5 minutes. You'll end up being able to do that too, just have a bit of patience.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Does the gunlance use different ammo, or is it different than the bowguns?

Ammo is unlimited in a sense, its based on the sharpness of the gunlance (the more you shoot, the duller your weapon becomes). Bear in mind that the actual range of the shot isn't that great. A good analogy to think of is that the Gunlance is the game's "shotgun".

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can do it in 10 minutes. It's not really that hard once you understand the basics. Understanding the basics can take a while though! It's a tough series.

Currently I don't feel like the demo has made any effort to explain those basics to me, and my memories of Tri on Wii don't recall much either.

I just want to see what I'm fighting. In a game that seems to be all about reading attack cues I cannot time dodging out of the way if I have no idea when the attack from behind is going to ram into me

EDIT: Okay, thanks guys, I'll give that a try

gif_morpheus.gif

What I'm trying to tell you is when you're ready, you won't have to...worry about what attack it's about to do next.

Also...practice.

Always be rotating the camera so that you can see it. Sometimes (most times) it's better to sheathe your weapon and run away if it allows you to keep an eye on the monster.

Monster Hunter is a long term relationship.

Does the gunlance use different ammo, or is it different than the bowguns?

In past games you didn't have to worry about ammo or ammo types. Just reload in the field.

I used the gunlance exclusively in the past. I tended to avoid single shots and just took my time until I could time a big blast and do some serious damage.

The Technomancer

I feel like...the monster is fast, and I am slow. If we were both slow thats a rythym I could get into easily. If we were both fast, same thing. If he was slow and I was fast, well, that would be easy. But I keep finding that I'm halfway through an attack animation and he dashes away leaving me to swing at empty ground. It doesn't help that I feel no sense of progress until the last few minutes of the fight; I know on a logical level that my attacks are doing "more" damage since I picked a big slow weapon but I certainly don't feel it

Meh. When I get the hang of this its going to be fucking fun

The IGN review was done by a lady on the EU staff. I recently listened to their podcast and she has a good history with the series. She recommends being introduced to the game by a friend. Its cool that the score was so high.

I'm also a little shocked to hear that people are having trouble with the rabbit. I guess my experince with the iOS version of the game taught me more than I gave it credit for. If anyone wants to try it out, I'd easily reccomend it. It's fun and simple, while also focusing on just one area and one monster. Has a life bar too.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like...the monster is fast, and I am slow. If we were both slow thats a rythym I could get into easily. If we were both fast, same thing. If he was slow and I was fast, well, that would be easy. But I keep finding that I'm halfway through an attack animation and he dashes away leaving me to swing at empty ground. It doesn't help that I feel no sense of progress until the last few minutes of the fight; I know on a logical level that my attacks are doing "more" damage since I picked a big slow weapon but I certainly don't feel it

What weapon are you using again?

Since you're well aware of the slowness of your weapon, only commit to hits that you know are gonna hit. You don't HAVE to go through a full combo. Sometimes (well honestly, most of the time), hit and run guerrilla tactics are best. After you get your hits in, just back the hell away.

Anytime you're not actually attacking, get away from the monster. Someone mentioned it earlier, and they aren't kidding, running away is a skill you need to learn.

Ken

What weapon are you using?

Volodja

That's because you don't know the timing required for the attacks you perform and you don't know how to judge how big of a timing window the monster is gonna give you either.
It's mostly experience, really.

The Technomancer

What weapon are you using again?

Since you're well aware of the slowness of your weapon, only commit to hits that you know are gonna hit. You don't HAVE to go through a full combo. Sometimes (well honestly, most of the time), hit and run guerrilla tactics are best. After you get your hits in, just back the hell away.

Anytime you're not actually attacking, get away from the monster. Someone mentioned it earlier, and they aren't kidding, running away is a skill you need to learn.

Man I just don't see how I can do that and still make the time limit. I tried Long Sword at first, then on some recommendations I shifted to Hammer and finally just barely beat him in time with Great Sword

evanmisha

Being stubborn and sticking to the big, slow weapon I eventually wanted to main made the demo terribly frustrating. Picking a smaller, faster weapon and getting used to the basics with it, then revisiting the big, slow weapon proved a much more effective way to 'train'.

remist

Man I just don't see how I can do that and still make the time limit. I tried Long Sword at first, then on some recommendations I shifted to Hammer and finally just barely beat him in time with Great Sword

I'd say great sword is the hardest weapon for someone new to use. If you beat him with the great sword, I bet you'll have an easier time with some of the faster weapons.

Pineconn

Try Dual Blades. The ones in the demo are pretty powerful, and you can down Lagombi within the initial area. Use the Dash Juice so you can have infinite Demon Mode.

Yeah Santiako you

The Technomancer

Having finally beat it I think I would have been much less frustrated if he had ever actually killed me, but running out of time made each failed attempt seem...contrived.

Ken

It's mostly just "play enough to know the obvious telegraphs of his attacks and actions." Once you figure that out you know when it's safe to go in, how much you can get away with, and what's not safe.

DaBoss

Maybe you should watch a video of someone facing the monster? Could help you figure out what to do exactly. Well not exactly, but similarly.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

It might also go against every fiber in your being, but you don't really want to main just ONE type of weapon. Fast monsters, you'll probably want to use fast weapons.

As for those three you mentioned:

LS is fast enough where you can actually get a good couple of hits in. But just because its a big weapon, doesn't necessarily mean it does a whole lot of damage (still the most damaging fast weapon though). Also one of the weapons where guerrilla tactics is a must. Also be aware of the charge bar attacks that it can do. Activating them does wonders.

Hammer, a somewhat fast big damage weapon, offset by the fact that the hit area has a pretty small window, and short range. It is however quite useful in "staggering" a monster, but only really effective if you're skilled enough to bash it on the head, PRECISELY.

Great Sword, for the most part, when starting out, you don't even really have to position yourself exactly with this one. The swing arcs on this thing are pretty massive, so precision strikes aren't really that necessary, just get close enough, and swing away. Oh, but depending on where exactly in the swing the monster is hit, the damage does vary (get in close so they can get as much as possible). Be aware the GS also has a charge attack, although that's a downward slice, which requires precision.

It's mostly just "play enough to know the obvious telegraphs of his attacks and actions." Once you figure that out you know when it's safe to go in, how much you can get away with, and what's not safe.

You also have to be accepting of the game's mechanics. Can't really question why there's an animation for taking a potion.

Ken

You also have to be accepting of the game's mechanics. Can't really question why there's an animation for taking a potion.

At the same time if you figure out the monster's attacks and length of animation, you know when it's safe to chug a pot.

Here's a pretty simplified example of what I usually do during the lagombi fight. Doesn't include all his animations but yeah. If he stands up to roar or swipe, I stand behind him and attack or stand afar and whetstone/pot. If he's doing his belly slide, I'm not going to bother attacking him during it so I make some distance.

Riposte

I don't think the rabbit was good for the demo. He is generally an annoying enemy to fight... going to piss off a lot of new players (pissed me off a bit while I was relearning the game). The thing about Monster Hunter is that you have to think within the context of the game's mobility. You have to control your impulses and remember how hitboxes and movement work (Monster Hunter is all about hitboxes). That rabbit will provoke the hell out of you by just sliding all over the place and outside your reach.

I think the demo will only hurt the game because they did so little to teach players. IIRC it didn't even tell you your attacks or the function of dodges.

EDIT: Also I seriously thought The Technomancer was joking. Hahaha.

The Technomancer

Okay another series quirk I need explained: the non-contiguous zones. Obviously there may be hardware reasons for the loading screens, but I've heard people call it a design decision before. Why? Because all its doing for me now is being really annoying when either a monster attack or my own attack animation knocks me over the invisible line.

Busaiku

I didn't think Lagombi was too bad.
I did use up all of my healing items, but I managed to beat it a couple times with 3 weapons (still using all my items).

Plesioth, that I had no idea what to do with though.
How do I even swim/dive, I mashed everything.

Okay another series quirk I need explained: the non-contiguous zones. Obviously there may be hardware reasons for the loading screens, but I've heard people call it a design decision before. Why? Because all its doing for me now is being really annoying when either a monster attack or my own attack animation knocks me over the invisible line.

Getting knocked into another zone is pretty annoying yeah.

On the plus side, it makes it a lot easier to coordinate spots on the map. You can also go to another zone for a breather, which is a big life saver on higher ranks since sometimes it's just difficult to find a safe time to chug a potion / sharpen your weapon / combine items.

As for the time issue, you just have to know when to commit to attack. As much as possible, attack without retaliation, and keep attacking. If you're able to do it, attack the weak spots of the enemy. They're generally the softer undersides or the head. Hitting weak spots feel different compared to other spots. I haven't played MH for 2 years and Lagombi and Plesioth took me 15 and almost 20 mins respectively. After relearning the game, I can usually get sub 5 and sub 10 mins on those two monsters.

I'm awaiting the day that MH has seamless zones, but as it stands - it is just a series quirk. It might have something to do with hardware limitations as well.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Oh, I can't even really begin explain that one. Just be glad the clock doesn't tick when the zones are loading. (Unless you're in a multiplayer game?)

I didn't think Lagombi was too bad.
I did use up all of my healing items, but I managed to beat it a couple times with 3 weapons (still using all my items).

Plesioth, that I had no idea what to do with though.
How do I even swim/dive, I mashed everything.

Moving forward (pushing up) makes you go towards whatever direction your CAMERA is facing. Use the camera to point in the direction you want to swim (so if you want to swim down, point the camera down, then push forward).

In Tri, you can also dive up/down by using the Z triggers, and I think you could that here in 3U? I'm not sure, I've actually not played the Pleisoth match, because I don't like swimming too much.

Riposte

I don't particularly like it, but it allows you to create diverse maps with memorable areas without adding unnecessary areas (like hallways in between these spots) which can 1) be exploited one way or another, 2) kill pacing by moving through them (or on the flip side hurt the way time is a depleting resource), 3) require additional development time to keep up quality.

Generally speaking, if you are with a monster at a zone line (which is often the case if you are chasing them), you would be best giving it some space.

Busaiku

Yes, I absolutely hate that Lagombi was standing around in areas where if I tried to attack it, I would get sent to another zone due to the animation.
This is completely ridiculous.

Ultratech

I don't think the rabbit was good for the demo. He is generally an annoying enemy to fight... going to piss off a lot of new players (pissed me off a bit while I was relearning the game). The thing about Monster Hunter is that you have to think within the context of the game's mobility. You have to control your impulses and remember how hitboxes and movement work (Monster Hunter is all about hitboxes). That rabbit will provoke the hell out of you by just sliding all over the place and outside your reach.

I think the demo will only hurt the game because they did so little to teach players. IIRC it didn't even tell your attacks or the function of dodges.

EDIT: Also I seriously thought The Technomancer was joking. Hahaha.

Yeah, Lagombi isn't too bad in concept. It'll seem that way the first couple of times you fight it, but you learn its attacks and movements. (Like for example, it'll often do two or three slides and then lean down on the last one and leave its head wide open to attack.)

Or like when it's hungry, if it tries to slide too much, it slips and falls down allowing you free hits.

The circular slide has a very odd hitbox, IIRC. In P3rd you could block it only by facing the same direction as Lagombi before it slides (so if it's facing forward, you'd have to face forward to block). A few other monsters have odd hitboxes like this as well, most notable with tail swipes (in which you typically want to face towards the monster, not its tail, to block the swipe).

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Lagombi SnS Demo

I'm awaiting the day that MH has seamless zones, but as it stands - it is just a series quirk. It might have something to do with hardware limitations as well.
Yeah. I think the areas might get more intricate and expansive but I dont see separate areas going away. It would be much harder to justify and build way more varied areas within the same levels. Or it could mean a lot more running through empty areas. Either way, if they make that jump it will be along with several other radical changes I think

Wait, I can't dodge out of the way while consuming a health potion? What bullshit is this?

EDIT: And I am sick of fighting right on the edge of a zoneboundary where the anination of an attack can carry me through and into a different area

EDIT EDIT: The "tap L to center monster" thing isn't working. I'm still spending all of my time trying to find the damn dude while he runs circles around me. I can't SEE what I'm fighting!

Fucking THIS, dude.

Doorman

Greatsword is definitely a hell of a weapon to try out while getting a hang of the basics. I know several people that've done it, but I can't help but think of it as an uphill battle. Its greatest strength is the charged slash, and to make the most of that you have to understand a monster's timing and movements probably moreso than any other weapon class. I've tried to get into using it multiple times throughout my experience in Tri and while I'm not awful with it, I hardly feel proficient.

I personally feel a lot more comfortable with the "mid-speed" weapons, currently the hunting horn and switch axe.

For those asking about the Lance vs. the Gunlance, they start off with a similar base but it feels to me like they diverge pretty quickly in how to set up their attacks. Shelling is not a distance attack by any means, its range of attack is basically centered right at the tip of the lance. The normal lance gives you a bit more mobility while in the middle of a battle, as you can dodge multiple times and cycle between dodging and thrusting as necessary. It also gives you the block-advance and the charge, which allow you to close distance while keeping your weapon drawn. I never personally used the counter very much in Tri, so my strategy mostly revolved around working my way in and just doing jab combos.

The gunlance, on the other hand, gives you a little bit more freeform combo diversity, between jabs, upward thrusts, shelling, charged shells, quick reloads, and finishing with the downward slam and burst-fire. You have a bit less combat-mobility from limited dodging, but the running upward thrust you gain comes in really handy for approaches and quick-strike tactics. You get an ammo gauge that needs to be refilled, but you don't equip shells the same way you handle bowgun ammo. I don't know the whole min/maxing or the specific data, but as far as dealing damage goes, they just seem to me to be different styles that lead to similar results. The gunlance feels more technical, and probably requires a bit more experience and practice to get the most out of it. I still enjoy both, though.

Sqorgar

Banned
It's hard to explain, but after spending some time with the game, you'll see that it really does impact gameplay in a positive way. Just don't fight near the two or three invisible boundaries between zones.

Ken

I wish there was a way to have a "Gunner Pouch set" with an option to refill it after every hunt. It's part of the reason why I'm hesitant on doing a lot of gunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom